Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Yes, there is a reason. He mentioned he hasn't been training because he has been raising his family and, as a result, lost a lot of his power. He even questions his ability to go Super Sayian at all. While it absolutely sucks it happened to Gohan, I do like the notion that people can get weaker through atrophy in the series since that never really happens in shonen.

Hows he lose more power in the 2-3 years since BOG than in the 6 years between Cell and Buu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

chris ayers is not frieza, end of story

you're a gently caress, end of story

Kild posted:

Hows he lose more power in the 2-3 years since BOG than in the 6 years between Cell and Buu?

Because Toryiama doesn't really give a poo poo anymore as long as he gets paid.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

He does train before the Buu saga begins in earnest, and it is possible that he is still keeping up with a weaker regimen during the interval while he doesn't train at all between the battle of the gods stuff.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kild posted:

Do we even know that? It's not like he fought in BoG.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

mycot posted:

He lasted about five or six seconds before Beerus slammed him face-first into Buu's head.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fuego Fish posted:

He lasted about five or six seconds before Beerus slammed him face-first into Buu's head.

he basically did that to goku in ss3 tho as well

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mycot posted:

He could still go into his Mystic form so yes we do know that?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

He could still go into his Mystic form so yes we do know that?

Mystic isn't a form. Mystic is just his max power being his base power. Old Kai told him not to go Super Sayian because it wouldn't make him any stronger and just drain his energy. Since he hasn't trained at all, the effects wore off.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
with super freeza being 200,000x times stronger than vegitto would it even matter?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Anyone that know Japanese watch the original Battle of Gods?

I'm just confused about how Beerus says that regular ki doesn't seem to affect gods. After that Vegeta punches him in his face (is it just me or is Vegetas aura in that bit a little bit more red than usual?), and later Golden Frieza puts up a fight against SSGodku. Do Vegeta and Frieza have some sort of latent god power due to their royal blood, or is Beerus just talking out his bumhole/ignorant?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bushmaori posted:

I'm just confused about how Beerus says that regular ki doesn't seem to affect gods. After that Vegeta punches him in his face (is it just me or is Vegetas aura in that bit a little bit more red than usual?), and later Golden Frieza puts up a fight against SSGodku. Do Vegeta and Frieza have some sort of latent god power due to their royal blood, or is Beerus just talking out his bumhole/ignorant?

Physical damage can still hurt gods. Remember, Vegeta hit him with a physical attack. The ki attack had no affect.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bushmaori posted:

I've just been treating it like a Pokemon style type difference. They had to learn new attacks to hurt beerus since he was resistant/immune to normal type attacks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Gohan is kind of a twat

He's seen what's out there in the universe and he's fought godlike beings and he knows what kind of threats are out there. He also knows he has an immense potential but he keeps slacking off and doing other stuff instead because he'd rather be reading books and doing academics. If he had been training since Cell he'd probably have one punched Majin Buu into oblivion when he showed up

cmon gohan, the earth is constantly at stake, you should be training obsessively with your father and vegeta

A bit late but I remember reading that the dragonball mmo said he wrote a bit about ki resulting in every earthling knowing it and being able to fly in a few centuries, which is pretty impressive and probably does more to help Earth's longevity in the long run than just becoming the strongest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I can't be too annoyed with Gohan when he ends up contributing to the world probably more than any other scientist ever. Because of him, they probably don't even need Gokus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Until Gohan actually does that in the show, I don't acknowledge it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Buu's all pillowy and squishy. Would that even hurt?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Squallege posted:

I just imagine Gohan "Welp, good thing Buu is made of bubblegum and magic. CLEARLY outclassed here. Think ol' Gohan should just play dead....."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I just imagine Gohan "Welp, good thing Buu is made of bubblegum and magic. CLEARLY outclassed here. Think ol' Gohan should just play dead....."

He was also drunk off his rear end at the time so he might have legitimately forgotten Buu was squishy and somehow psychologically knocked himself out.

All things considered Gohan didn't actually do that bad against Beerus; like he was totally wasted and still managed to put Beerus in a Full Nelson that Beerus at least looked worried about for half a second before he broke out of it. Compared to everyone else, including SSJ3 Goku who literally never even touched him that wasn't blocked, Gohan did pretty good.

Too bad it means nothing.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I can't be too annoyed with Gohan when he ends up contributing to the world probably more than any other scientist ever.

Gohan isn't Bulma.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Squallege posted:

It's Beerus. He KO'd Piccolo with chopsticks. He could probably fatally stab someone AT LEAST as strong as like, #16 with a marshmallow if he wanted to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

with super freeza being 200,000x times stronger than vegitto would it even matter?

he's not. He's still weaker than Beerus who got punched around by a pissed off SSJ vegeta.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Gohan's one of the more interesting characters in the series to me. Most of the characters, while fun, aren't that deep, but Gohan's got some big parental issues. His mom wants him to study all the time so that pressures him, his dad is Earth's greatest hero so he has a huge legacy to live up to, and he's traumatized by watching his dad die at like age 10 before going off for a year of hell training in the wilderness. He seems to enjoy adventuring (he has a fun time during the Frieza saga when he's not face to face with certain death) but I don't think he enjoys fighting the same way Goku does. At one point he is the strongest character in the series (SSJ2 Gohan at the end of Cell saga, obviously) while still a teenager, so he's clearly shown to have even more potential than Goku, but I think by that point he's seen so much crazy high-stakes, life-or-death conflicts that he mostly wants to stay out of it. So he doesn't devote himself to training like Goku and Vegeta do, choosing instead to have a mostly normal life with school, friends (Pan), and occasional goofy Saiyaman antics (Saiyaman being the most obvious indicator that he has some deep psychological trauma to work through). Buu shows up and since he's a major threat Gohan steps up to the plate again, just like he did against Cell, but this time he falls short and Goku + Dragon Ball shenanigans save the day.

So post Buu you have Goku and Vegeta as immense powerhouses that are above him, Gotenks is about on their level, and friendly nigh-immortal fat Buu is happy to help. Gohan decides he's ever further back now than he was after Cell saga and first began to stop training like a madman, so he says screw it and tries to pass on the crazy martial arts techniques to the masses. This makes sense to me on a character level, and I agree that it's nice to see a shonen character decide not to pursue fighting despite an obvious talent for it and be fulfilled in other ways, particularly the son of the protagonist. He ends up as a happy guy with a family who balances training, work, and education better than anyone else in the series. He'll continue to be a chump in the new movies and series, but he's got the best life to go back to after the fighting's over.

I still say that Bulma's family has the market fully cornered on discoveries that help humanity though. Capsule Tech, Interstellar space travel and Time Machines are a heck of a trio to try to top. Flight really only trumps capsules.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

NowonSA posted:

Gohan's one of the more interesting characters in the series to me. Most of the characters, while fun, aren't that deep, but Gohan's got some big parental issues. His mom wants him to study all the time so that pressures him, his dad is Earth's greatest hero so he has a huge legacy to live up to, and he's traumatized by watching his dad die at like age 10 before going off for a year of hell training in the wilderness.

He was 4 when Raditz arrived, around ten when he fought Cell.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Stairmaster posted:

he's not. He's still weaker than Beerus who got punched around by a pissed off SSJ vegeta.

"Not my Bulma" Super Saiyan Vegeta was demonstrably stronger than SSJ3 Goku. I wouldn't be surprised if he was also stronger than Vegito because of the combination of Toriyama's weird storytelling and his inexplicable perspective on writing romance.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Heading out to Japan today. Will report back on any Goku sightings.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Desumaytah posted:

"Not my Bulma" Super Saiyan Vegeta was demonstrably stronger than SSJ3 Goku. I wouldn't be surprised if he was also stronger than Vegito because of the combination of Toriyama's weird storytelling and his inexplicable perspective on writing romance.

The more Vegeta gets that stick out of his rear end, the more absurdly powerful he can become.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's My Bulma form is one of the most powerful modes in the show

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maybe next time a villain shows up, they just have them smack Bulma...Oh, wait, Goku already made that joke...

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Can anyone see Goku getting that mad if Chi-Chi was hit by a villain, because I can't. Maybe if the villain ate his food perhaps.

Goku: "THAT'S MY DINNER!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

He was pretty mad when the Spice Boys beat up his wife and Ox King and kidnapped his son.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Brony Hunter posted:

Can anyone see Goku getting that mad if Chi-Chi was hit by a villain, because I can't. Maybe if the villain ate his food perhaps.

Goku: "THAT'S MY DINNER!"

SHE MAKES MY FOOD

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Covok posted:

He was pretty mad when the Spice Boys beat up his wife and Ox King and kidnapped his son.

Eh if we're counting non-canon material we might as well count the various times Goku accidentally knocked Chi-Chi through a wall on several different occasions in filler, and seemed more worried she'd be angry rather than concerned for her wellbeing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Goku got really upset when Krillin died :gay:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Goku got really upset when Krillin died :gay:

Chi-chi's a beard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Webbeh posted:

This is the worst thread for DBZ news.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/05/26/funimation-resurrection-f-theatrical-run-august-4-12/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46TCtwhYE8

I believe an earlier article also confirms that the Buu Saga of Kai is being completed over the next few weeks at Funimation.

Is there a version of the trailer somewhere other than YouTube? I can't watch it in the UK.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Veotax posted:

Is there a version of the trailer somewhere other than YouTube? I can't watch it in the UK.

Sort of, yes.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So are my favorite characters gonna get benched in Super or is there a chance Tien will magically be a badass?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So are my favorite characters gonna get benched in Super or is there a chance Tien will magically be a badass?

There's a whole sequence full of Frieza mooks that were weak back when Namek was a thing, so plenty of them should get a couple minutes in the spotlight at least.

Also ignoring the fact that Tien was already badass.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brony Hunter posted:

Eh if we're counting non-canon material we might as well count the various times Goku accidentally knocked Chi-Chi through a wall on several different occasions in filler, and seemed more worried she'd be angry rather than concerned for her wellbeing.

Those weren't even filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kild posted:

Wedding Rings are atleast a 10x multiplier on your "is now useless" statistic in Dragonball.

Being Gohan multiplies that even further.

• Locked thread