Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the answer to "is destiny any good now" is always "no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i tried destiny this weekend. Seemed like just another shootyman game to me, which is not my genre. pretty game though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I loved Darksiders 2, but I don't think I loved it enough to buy a ps4 remaster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Metal Slug 3 just a straight port of the arcade game or did they add anything?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd rather have a remaster of Darksiders 1, honestly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Destiny is an irritating game because I enjoyed the moment to moment bits of actually playing it but then the game had such a lack of meaningful content and I'm not just going to play through all those stages over and over again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all these remasters and yet we never get the one that's needed most: red dead redemption, literally not even on steam because apparently the coding was such garbage

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe if we're lucky they'll announce a new one at E3.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I bought Destiny on disc at launch, paid for the season pass, and can't find the disc anymore. Not sure if it's worth scouring the house to find it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

all these remasters and yet we never get the one that's needed most: red dead redemption, literally not even on steam because apparently the coding was such garbage

The similar horseriding controls in Witcher 3 make me think about this and want a remaster/remake even more.

That said, the original RDR is still playable. One game I've heard people really want to be remade is Dragon's Dogma since the framerate is apparently terrible.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Sentient Data posted:

The PSN store is going pretty nuts with good deals, the Saints Row 4 + Gat out of Hell bundle is $15.49 in the US and CA store, possibly elsewhere

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/saints-row-re-elected-gat-out-of-hell/cid=UP2047-NPUB50250_00-B000000000001259

Thanks for the heads up. Picked this up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dragon's Dogma Online is coming to the PS4, which is basically the same game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

The similar horseriding controls in Witcher 3 make me think about this and want a remaster/remake even more.

That said, the original RDR is still playable. One game I've heard people really want to be remade is Dragon's Dogma since the framerate is apparently terrible.

dragon's dogma had the best goddamn combat system ever in the history of everything, which was a shame because it was within a game that was also boring, tedious to navigate, and not always intuitive. capcom should really give that to like, suda 51 or anyone at platinum because they'd do wonderful things with that system in a wilder setting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Metal Slug 3 just a straight port of the arcade game or did they add anything?

It is just a port of the original Neo Geo version. Only the standalone release on the PS2 and Xbox had the mode where you can play as three different types of enemy soldiers.

This port isn't as good as the Anniversary collection, since you can't turn on turbo fire and there's some slowdown. The PS3 ports of the first two games let you overclock the Neo Geo emulator so they'd run at 60 fps pretty much the whole time, and I think the Anniversary ports did the same. They also let you record your playthrough, but this one still lets you save whenever you want.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

We don't need any more drat remasters, "definitive editions", or any bullshit like that. We need at the very least, new games in an existing IP, or better yet, new IP. This is the thing that is bothering me most about this console and makes me keep going back to my Wii U.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where you get fresh IPs like Mario Kart 8, Zelda 19 and Super Mario gently caress You, You'll Buy It.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Where you get fresh IPs like Mario Kart 8, Zelda 19 and Super Mario gently caress You, You'll Buy It.

Fremry posted:

We don't need any more drat remasters, "definitive editions", or any bullshit like that. We need at the very least, new games in an existing IP, or better yet, new IP. This is the thing that is bothering me most about this console and makes me keep going back to my Wii U.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This console generation needs new IP's desperately. It's just a shame anytime something sells well its immediately whored into a 'franchise'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fresh doesn't mean new.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aphrodite posted:

yeah we need more great new ip's like Knack and The Order not Mario 45 lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fremry posted:

some of us don't want to play games on a loving 360 forever, I'd rather have something optimized on the PC so I don't have to dig out that piece of poo poo. Remasters and definitive editions are absolutely great if it means I can pile it on to Steam and have one less console to keep

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This console generation needs new IP's desperately. It's just a shame anytime something sells well its immediately whored into a 'franchise'.

It is funny, this is one of those things I agree with on the surface, but at the same time the number 1 and number 2 biggest new IPs ever launched last year alone (Watch Dogs and Destiny). I mean yeah, they were/are going to be immediately whored into franchises, but Nintendo does the exact same thing so :shrug:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Dragon's Dogma Online is coming to the PS4, which is basically the same game.
Hopefully it'll come to the west; the Japanese PS3 alpha test was aggressively locked to Japanese IPs, and I'd assume that'd remain for the regular release.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BloodBorne, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Uncharted 4, Omega Quintet, DriveClub, The Order: 1886, Knack, KillZone: Shadow Fall, Batman: Arkham Knight, InFamous: Second Son, InFamous: First Light, MGS V... there's quite a few non-remaster games, both already released and in the works, but as for the quality and if you'd actually like to play them, that's a whole other question. Nintendo games are generally praised for their quality, not for being supremely original.

Of course, there's the problem with ever-increasing costs of making games, so simply firing off a new IP with all the risk it entails and possible losing a lot of money isn't exactly a thought many enjoy - I'm glad for indies because of that, but it wouldn't be amiss if the development costs were scaled back to sane levels.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 27, 2015

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Eh, there can be great remasters. See EDF4.1, which is a fantastic improvement on the original.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

J-Spot posted:

I like this. It's cool when things just exist in the world and you can stumble into them through exploration without triggering some quest flag to spawn them in, and it makes sense that the contract isn't available for you to take if the problem is already solved.

This is honestly one of my favorite things about the Witcher series and 3 in particular. Problems dont just pop into existance because Geralt shows up, the problems are there and if you solve it without asking for money, then why would anyone pay you? A lot of stuff in the Witcher games follow actual logic rather than video game logic and I like that a lot. Gives the game a much different feel than other open world games. Its always annoying in other open world games when you clear out a dungeon and then get a quest to clear out the same dungeon for a specific reason so the dungeon just respawns so you can clear it again. Or stuff along those lines.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

some of us don't want to play games on a loving 360 forever, I'd rather have something optimized on the PC so I don't have to dig out that piece of poo poo. Remasters and definitive editions are absolutely great if it means I can pile it on to Steam and have one less console to keep

Some of us don't want our PS4 to be the "PS3 Remastered". I know it's going to get better, but drat if everything I see has "Definitive Edition" or "remastered" on the end of it. I know they are good money makers, but I'd rather have devs working on new games, and not PS4 graphics versions of PS3 games.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Fremry posted:

I know it's going to get better

Wish I had your optimism.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

gibbed posted:

Eh, there can be great remasters. See EDF4.1, which is a fantastic improvement on the original.

do we know if that's going to be localized?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fremry posted:

Some of us don't want our PS4 to be the "PS3 Remastered". I know it's going to get better, but drat if everything I see has "Definitive Edition" or "remastered" on the end of it. I know they are good money makers, but I'd rather have devs working on new games, and not PS4 graphics versions of PS3 games.

this is really overreacting, for instance it's not like Capcom isn't working on new poo poo just because it puts out Dmc4 Special Waffle Edition.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Fremry posted:

Then stop looking at remasters and start looking at new IPs or new entries in the existing ones - even The Witcher III, brought up just a minute ago. I don't feel like going through the list of games actually released on the PS4, so maybe there's actually 3 remasters for every other game, who knows - it is a good thing that they make use of the PS4's superior specs so that the games actually run well and may even achieve the mythical 30fps.

Another new IP Shadow of Mordor.

baram. posted:

do we know if that's going to be localized?

No, but I'll remain hopeful and say "Not yet."

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

this is really overreacting, for instance it's not like Capcom isn't working on new poo poo just because it puts out Dmc4 Special Waffle Edition.

True, but resources are finite and when every single new game comes out with day 1 game-breaking bugs, you could at least reprioritize some of those funds to put out a more quality product. I'm sure Ubi has had to do some restructuring after the PR nightmare that was AC: Unity.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Fremry posted:

The console isn't even 2 years old yet. I think just about every console cycle has a lot of remasters or sequels in its first 2 years. By the time we hit year 3+, devs will better understand how to use the system infrastructure and that's when we'll end up seeing the games like TLOU for PS3. Just gotta be patient.

And, to be fair, there's been a good amount of new IP already. Destiny, Bloodborne, Knack, The Order 1886, Watch_Dogs, for example, haven't all been amazing, but they have been new, and that's even leaving out smaller games like Entwined. I think we'll be fine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

games actually run well and may even achieve the mythical 30fps.

haha, Witcher 3 framerate even after Day 1 patch on PS4 was so loving abhorrent I had to trade it in and get it for PC instead. Some games, like Inquisition or Mordor, had no real problem staying at a relatively solid FPS but others will inevitably poo poo themselves often.

Fremry posted:

True, but resources are finite and when every single new game comes out with day 1 game-breaking bugs, you could at least reprioritize some of those funds to put out a more quality product. I'm sure Ubi has had to do some restructuring after the PR nightmare that was AC: Unity.

Ubisoft is possibly the worst example you could have picked, the epitome of milking something dry, taking a fresh IP and withering it until nobody even gave a poo poo about Syndicate's reveal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody cared here, but this is a dying website and hardly indicative of anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

Wasn't there a thing recently where Capcom said they were going to focus more on remastered stuff?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wasn't there a thing recently where Capcom said they were going to focus more on remastered stuff?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-is-planning-more-hd-remasters/1100-6427410/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

capcom games are just endless rereleases anyway though, look at street fighter 4. I can't even tell what is a new iteration or an add on or a remaster anymore

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ciri has an awesome teleport dash in Witcher 3 that I wish Geralt was able to use. Playing as her is more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

capcom games are just endless rereleases anyway though, look at street fighter 4. I can't even tell what is a new iteration or an add on or a remaster anymore

Yeah, this has been their business model for years. It's nothing new.

• Locked thread