Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He had crazy subconscious inspiration for a lot of of his creative decisions. He also hated critics who sought to assign metaphors and symbols to his work. I'm not saying he's got autonomy over how to watch the movie or anything, but I think I've found that any of his motifs are beyond rational articulation. I hope you didn't think I was trying to shut you down. I'm just jazzed somebody watched that great movie.

Hell, this guy took a crazy stab at talking about it a few years ago and it's not a bad read.

I didn't know that about him! That's pretty interesting. Won't stop me though. :colbert:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that the dog is God (mostly because I'm not too fond of 1:1 allegory like that), but he definitely seems to be in tune with what the Stalker is feeling. I'm pretty sure he shows up when the Stalker is at his most lost and dejected, and given what they say about the Zone rewarding those who feel hopeless, I feel like there's a connection between the dog and the Zone's "favor."

On the other hand, it seems like Stalker still isn't on blu-ray! Which is a crying shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Nolanar posted:

On the other hand, it seems like Stalker still isn't on blu-ray! Which is a crying shame.

Japan is apparently getting it in literally 2 weeks, so there is hope...

Hell, if you were desperate you could import and (if you run it through your PC) sync it up with the pre-existing English subs, maybe

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Whoa, this makes my day!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

On a completely different note, let's play "which version should I watch!"

Léon and/or the Professional: should I go for the long version or the theatrical cut for a first watch? I know the answer is usually theatrical, but I want to make sure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait, so if I loved Mad Max should I watch Happy Feet?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why not

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Happy Feet is a little weak. Miller's best film is Babe Pig in the City. It's one of the greatest, and most neglected, sequels ever made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nolanar posted:

On a completely different note, let's play "which version should I watch!"

Léon and/or the Professional: should I go for the long version or the theatrical cut for a first watch? I know the answer is usually theatrical, but I want to make sure.

If one is labeled "International Cut" go with that one, if not, I'm pretty sure the longer one is what you want. They cut the movie down for American theaters .

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to? I feel like Blade is the epitome of this. Taking Lives is another good example (I was a bit high during Taking Lives and as it started I thought it was just another trailer and got so excited about this amazing movie and planned on seeing it the day it came out. Rest of the movie was the very definition of Meh).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to? I feel like Blade is the epitome of this.

You shut your god damned mouth.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah seriously, what? Maybe he meant one of the sequels?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean yeah, the intro is by far the best scene of the film, but what? The only bad part of Blade is the anti-climactic and overly CG'd final fight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to?

Both Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are guilty of this, although the drop-off in quality is arguably worse with Into Darkness.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

regulargonzalez posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to?

The intro of the first X-Men belongs in much better movie with a rather different tone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

peer posted:

The intro of the first X-Men belongs in much better movie with a rather different tone.

Good thing they re-used it almost shot-for-shot in First Class :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

regulargonzalez posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to? I feel like Blade is the epitome of this. Taking Lives is another good example (I was a bit high during Taking Lives and as it started I thought it was just another trailer and got so excited about this amazing movie and planned on seeing it the day it came out. Rest of the movie was the very definition of Meh).

Devil is the very definition of this.

cloudchamber posted:

Happy Feet is a little weak. Miller's best film is Babe Pig in the City. It's one of the greatest, and most neglected, sequels ever made.

Yes!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

regulargonzalez posted:

I mean, I love Way Of The Gun all the way through, but the opening scene *is* the highlight of the movie and I know people who only like that scene.

I think I remember reading that the director had always wanted to film that scene, but didn't have a film it fit in, so he just threw it in for the hell of it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Up is a great short film with a mediocre movie stapled to it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do people really think the subway chase sequence in The French Connection is good? Or is it just hype and people who saw it in 1971 and haven't re-watched it plus its own mythos? Because I just watched the whole movie, and it is bland as heck. Is it just because there weren't chase sequences before TFC? I find that hard to believe, when Bond and Bullitt were both in full swing (to say nothing of all the westerns with horse/stagecoach chases)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Does the car chase in To Live and Die in LA have any kind of mythos attached to it? If not, it should because it's a primo chase.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Everblight posted:

Do people really think the subway chase sequence in The French Connection is good? Or is it just hype and people who saw it in 1971 and haven't re-watched it plus its own mythos? Because I just watched the whole movie, and it is bland as heck. Is it just because there weren't chase sequences before TFC? I find that hard to believe, when Bond and Bullitt were both in full swing (to say nothing of all the westerns with horse/stagecoach chases)

I really love it, I don't know how to refute this though, really.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It freaks the poo poo out of me. Doyle's driving so recklessly that it doesn't look like it's choreographed, so my mind finds itself in a place where I believe he could crash at any moment. The car scene in To Live and Die in LA is even crazier in the same way.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really love it, I don't know how to refute this though, really.
If Popeye Doyle lived today, there would be marches in the street against him. The chase started when a woman next to him was gunned down next to her stroller, and he left her there to die to steal a car and run down the perp without even ordering people to call the police or an ambulance. He steals a civilian's car (dubious legality) and almost runs down a baby in pursuit of a perp, who kills 3 more people during the chase before Doyle shoots him in the back (which Tennessee v. Garner ruled was totally illegal).

Taken in the context of Doyle trying to crack down on drugs (impossible to view without taking in the War on DrugsBlack People as an unmitigated failure and horrific generational oppression) while being a curmudgeon and racist, it just seems more like the sniper is fleeing a horror movie monster, though none of the way it's actually shot or presented with the score back up that reading.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, wouldn't you say the ending does?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It freaks the poo poo out of me. Doyle's driving so recklessly that it doesn't look like it's choreographed, so my mind finds itself in a place where I believe he could crash at any moment. The car scene in To Live and Die in LA is even crazier in the same way.

On my phone so can't find a source but I've read that several of the crashes in the final cut actually were unintentional.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

On my phone so can't find a source but I've read that several of the crashes in the final cut actually were unintentional.
Reading the wiki page now, this is 100% accurate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, wouldn't you say the ending does?
I mean, if Popeye is a shithead racist cop who in the end shoots an ally and allows Alain Charnier to go free, that's all well and good. But the other side isn't all sexy mobsters either, it's bumbling small-timers and foppish Gerard Depardieu analogues. So if the cops are lovely people, and the crooks are lovely people, then who are we supposed to root for?

And lol gently caress THAT STUPID ENDING.
-Popeye runs around a corner out of the scene
-Single gunshot
-Animal House-level codas for each character
-MUSIC
AND SCORE
BY DON ELLIS

:wtc:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Everblight posted:

So if the cops are lovely people, and the crooks are lovely people, then who are we supposed to root for?

...yes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

regulargonzalez posted:

Star Trek into Darkness.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Everblight posted:

If Popeye Doyle lived today, there would be marches in the street against him. The chase started when a woman next to him was gunned down next to her stroller, and he left her there to die to steal a car and run down the perp without even ordering people to call the police or an ambulance. He steals a civilian's car (dubious legality) and almost runs down a baby in pursuit of a perp, who kills 3 more people during the chase before Doyle shoots him in the back (which Tennessee v. Garner ruled was totally illegal).

Taken in the context of Doyle trying to crack down on drugs (impossible to view without taking in the War on DrugsBlack People as an unmitigated failure and horrific generational oppression) while being a curmudgeon and racist, it just seems more like the sniper is fleeing a horror movie monster, though none of the way it's actually shot or presented with the score back up that reading.

I saw your review in the recent movies thread and I did want to respond to it, but it's probably more appropriate to talk about it here. I don't know what sort of reputation French Connection carried for you before you watched it but you seem to have approached it as a high-budget action movie, on which grounds it's never going to compare very well. It was made for $1.8 million dollars (or about $10 million today), so low-to-mid budget, most of which I would imagine went to filming on location in 1970s urban squalor-era NYC. What I like about the chase sequence is the feeling of raw realism, the sense that you genuinely don't know how it'll turn out, or how much chaos will be caused en route.

As for the reading on Doyle; as HUNDU suggested, I don't think you're really as at odds with the film's take on things as you think. It's worth bearing in mind that crime (and urban poverty, and police corruption, and race relations) in the US were racing towards a nadir that it's hard to imagine today, so as you can see in contemporary films like Dirty Harry and Death Wish, there was plenty of public appetite for the rogue enforcer who won't be bound by legality. Comparatively, Popeye doesn't exactly make the city any safer by intervening, even before the ending where the camera literally gives up on the chase and abandons Doyle to his hubris, before filling you in that the dope score gets sold right out of the evidence room.

Also the score is bleak as poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, congratulations you made a nihilistic film where everyone's terrible always. Oscars for everyone, I guess?

Like, The Godfather presents Michael as the good guy at the beginning and Vito as the bad guy, and then slowly shows the transition and you learn that things are not Schwartzenegger black-and-white hero vs. mooks, cool, I'm with it. But this is just bleak and awful and then abrupt and pointless. Lars von Trier would be proud.

Exorcist had a similar stupid, abrupt ending so I guess :xcom: only with William Friedkin's face?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GimpChimp posted:

I don't know what sort of reputation French Connection carried for you before you watched it
The only thing I knew going in was that it had "omg the best car chase of all time" and while I was cool with finding out it would be a cerebral thriller that happened to have a car chase in it, it still was just a massive failure as both an action and a thriller movie, with the exception of the cat-and-mouse foot chase culminating with Doyle and Charmien dodging each other on the street and subway car.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Everblight posted:

OK, congratulations you made a nihilistic film where everyone's terrible always. Oscars for everyone, I guess?

Like, The Godfather presents Michael as the good guy at the beginning and Vito as the bad guy, and then slowly shows the transition and you learn that things are not Schwartzenegger black-and-white hero vs. mooks, cool, I'm with it. But this is just bleak and awful and then abrupt and pointless. Lars von Trier would be proud.

Exorcist had a similar stupid, abrupt ending so I guess :xcom: only with William Friedkin's face?

Uh, don't watch Sorcerer then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

Reading the wiki page now, this is 100% accurate.
I mean, if Popeye is a shithead racist cop who in the end shoots an ally and allows Alain Charnier to go free, that's all well and good. But the other side isn't all sexy mobsters either, it's bumbling small-timers and foppish Gerard Depardieu analogues. So if the cops are lovely people, and the crooks are lovely people, then who are we supposed to root for?

And lol gently caress THAT STUPID ENDING.
-Popeye runs around a corner out of the scene
-Single gunshot
-Animal House-level codas for each character
-MUSIC
AND SCORE
BY DON ELLIS

:wtc:

Prescient.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Everyone should watch Sorcerer though :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Everblight posted:

The thing that confused me was how many people disliked Dirty Harry or Death Wish for their politics/outlook but didn't have the same qualms with TFC.

I saw your review in the other thread and you have to remember it was released 45 years ago and that kind of character was really popular back then but wouldn't fit in 2015 US.

Everblight posted:

I know they did back at its release.

Parachute posted:

Does the car chase in To Live and Die in LA have any kind of mythos attached to it? If not, it should because it's a primo chase.

All William Friedkin car chases do I think.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The whole idea of TFC is to acknowledge that the rising crime wave is a problem (so they don't glamorize the criminals) while simultaneously saying that the psycho vigilante fantasies in movies like Dirty Harry will just smash everything up without actually fixing the problem. The complete lack of catharsis in the end is the point, just like in the Wolf of Wall Street. You're supposed to come out of the theater pissed off about the way things are in the world (and maybe try to change things).

FishBulb posted:

Everyone should watch Sorcerer though :(

I borrowed my library's bluray of it yesterday!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zogo posted:

The thing that confused me was how many people disliked Dirty Harry or Death Wish for their politics/outlook but didn't have the same qualms with TFC.

I mean, mainly that Doyle being a Loose Cannon to Get Results is presented honestly, and not as an armchair-fascist fantasy: i.e. he causes a lot of undue death and reckless endangerment trying to satisfy his own aggression for the criminal element, briefly impeding the drug kingpins to no public benefit. I don't know how much that was Friedkin's actual intention, but it's pretty plain in the output.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The ending pretty clearly does not glamorize him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Everblight posted:

Are you a dumb person because you sound like a dumb person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are you a dumb person because you sound like a dumb person
I was just trying to understand why a bad dumb chase scene had achieved near-mythic status and universal praise when it was :mediocre: at best, especially viewed through the lens of a movie designed to showcase how lovely everyone was. I guess my answer is "retroactive hagiography" so thanks Magic Hate Ball for answering my question.