Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sorry europeans, I couldn't help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mabels big day posted:

Sorry europeans, I couldn't help it.

"I told them I was out of the game, I was going clean. They asked me to do this one, final job for them. The heist of all heists."

The Amiibo Job.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets not pretend the WiiU that comes with a tablet and allows multiplayer but doesn't allow multiple tablets isn't in a special place. :colbert:

Is the concept of asymmetrical multiplayer foreign to you?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I look forward to a bunch of old people refuse to try anything new, turn off the gyro controls so they can aim with just the analog stick, then get mercilessly eviscerated over and over because there's no auto aim and other people are using the superior controls.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I cannot loving believe this.

According to GAME UK, the truck carrying their copies of Splatoon and Amiibos, inc. the Squid has been STOLEN and they won't be able to fulfil my order. I pre-ordered months ago.

It's a shame this was the last post on the page I think somebody could have posted this at least another 2 or 3 times

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
My heart does go out to UK goons, though. Even if it's just a video game, that's an immensely lovely thing to have happen.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Walmart canceled my 3 pack preorder, so I know how you feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jivjov posted:

Is the concept of asymmetrical multiplayer foreign to you?

No, that's the whole loving point. The console inherently uses multiple types of controllers. All its games support multiple controllers (that support multiplayer) in asymmetric ways because that is the fundamental design of the console.

So its not so loving outrageous to think that maybe people would want to use the other controller instead! FFS.

Lemming posted:

I look forward to a bunch of old people refuse to try anything new, turn off the gyro controls so they can aim with just the analog stick, then get mercilessly eviscerated over and over because there's no auto aim and other people are using the superior controls.

Auto aim? The gently caress?
I'm just fine with twin-stick with no auto-aim. Did way better K/D in the demo with sticks than gyro.

Its okay that some people like different things than you, goons. If you like motion controls, use motion controls. If you like sticks, use sticks.

Enough with the loving :smuggo: "my control scheme is superior" bullshit.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I wonder if they'll expand the single-player in the future either through small free updates or a full-on expansion you'll pay for. Thinking about it now almost every EAD game for the Wii U has had some form of expanded single player bar Nintendoland if you count New Super Luigi and maybe Captain Toad as the expansion to 3D World. Even Pikmin 3 had some extra stuff you could buy later on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I wonder if they'll expand the single-player in the future either through small free updates or a full-on expansion you'll pay for. Thinking about it now almost every EAD game for the Wii U has had some form of expanded single player bar Nintendoland if you count New Super Luigi and maybe Captain Toad as the expansion to 3D World. Even Pikmin 3 had some extra stuff you could buy later on.

Based on all Nintendo games I've played in the last year, its gonna have DLC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

No, that's the whole loving point. The console inherently uses multiple types of controllers. All its games support multiple controllers (that support multiplayer) in asymmetric ways because that is the fundamental design of the console.

So its not so loving outrageous to think that maybe people would want to use the other controller instead! FFS.

And you can in fact use a Pro for local multiplayer!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Auto aim? The gently caress?
I'm just fine with twin-stick with no auto-aim. Did way better K/D in the demo with sticks than gyro.

Its okay that some people like different things than you, goons. If you like motion controls, use motion controls. If you like sticks, use sticks.

Enough with the loving :smuggo: "my control scheme is superior" bullshit.

The gyro is superior, though. It uses position control rather than velocity control, like a mouse. I brought up auto aim because twin stick FPS or TPS all have varying levels of auto aim because otherwise it's too difficult to hit anything. Splatoon doesn't need it because the gyro aiming is sufficiently precise and responsive.

It's fine for people to do what they like, but gyro controls are objectively more accurate. Everybody has a higher personal skill ceiling with gyro, barring some sort of disability. If you're fine doing worse or don't want to learn anything new you can turn gyro off.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zaphod42 posted:

Based on all Nintendo games I've played in the last year, its gonna have DLC.

Well yeah but I'm specifically talking single-player stuff. Like would they bother with it or would they just keep enlarging the multi-player side more since that's what most people are likely going to be playing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

The gyro is superior, though. It uses position control rather than velocity control, like a mouse. I brought up auto aim because twin stick FPS or TPS all have varying levels of auto aim because otherwise it's too difficult to hit anything. Splatoon doesn't need it because the gyro aiming is sufficiently precise and responsive.

It's fine for people to do what they like, but gyro controls are objectively more accurate. Everybody has a higher personal skill ceiling with gyro, barring some sort of disability. If you're fine doing worse or don't want to learn anything new you can turn gyro off.

Yeah, but its also more complicated, so its not strictly superior. You have to mentally decode movements into either motion or a combination of motion and stick. The intuitive direct stick just works better for me.

Like if I had to paint a careful picture, maybe I'd use gyroscope controls... but that's not how I'm playing splatoon at all. I'm racing around trying to shoot dudes in the head before they run me over with a roller. Split second reaction times are everything.

Eh you're making a bunch of assumptions that really aren't the case. Motion isn't nearly as different or accurate as mouse control.

jivjov posted:

And you can in fact use a Pro for local multiplayer!

Oh shut the gently caress up.

How many other games let you use a controller for multiplayer but not single player? :v: Is there a single one?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Is someone unironically playing a FPS with the joypad? Especially after experiencing the gyro controls?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up.

The gently caress is your problem man? You want to use other controllers, I tell you you can for Local, and you tell me to shut up?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Is someone unironically playing a FPS with the joypad? Especially after experiencing the gyro controls?

Ugh this is such a lovely post.

First of all its a Third Person Shooter. And its not just any TPS, Splatoon is very much its own animal. Its about painting and turning into squids, not getting the top K/D ratio.

Second of all yeah yeah we loving get it, this same "lmao stick control casuals :smuggo:" attitude keeps getting posted. loving ENOUGH.

jivjov posted:

The gently caress is your problem man? You want to use other controllers, I tell you you can for Local, and you tell me to shut up?

You know (or should realize if you have half a brain) that isn't very good. 1-v-1 local mode is barely going to get any play. Its a consolation prize since the game doesn't work splitscreen normally. Everybodys going to be playing turf war or single player 95% of the time, except when demoing the game to a friend. And that means no pro controller.

Its pretty obvious people want pro controller. I wasn't even the one who asked for it! I'm fine with the gamepad, its just dumb you can't use the pro controller as well, and this "playing dumb" attitude of yours is getting super old.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lmao what is your deal Zaphod

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

jivjov posted:

Not really local multiplayer, just 1v1.

But its a good point. Why's it okay for player 2 to use a pro controller but not player one?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Zaphod42 people are making fun of you for making really angry posts, they don't care about what you're talking about. I spilled the secret.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lmao what is your deal Zaphod

Just sick of all the bs attitudes in this thread.

Splatoon is a fun game where kids can turn into squids. If people want to use motion controls or stick controls or pro controller or tablet, whatever, no skin off your nose.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Hi zaphod is a really bad poster sorry Splatoon thread.

I'll see y'all next week when I buy the game. Have a good one!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

jivjov posted:

Because it would be nice to be able to use it for all the other modes too and you're clearly being willfully obtuse.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nooo don't spill the secret I wanted to kick off Splatoon with a good forums meltdown. You ruined it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zaphod42 posted:

loving ENOUGH.

:staredog:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

Because it would be nice to be able to use it for all the other modes too and you're clearly being willfully obtuse.

Why would they allow a player to willfully gimp themselves in competitive multiplayer? The tablet has the map and enables superjumping to allies. I'm sure Nintendo would LOVE to read all the hate mail about"what the gently caress why can't I jump to my teammates like everyone else can?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Nooo don't spill the secret I wanted to kick off Splatoon with a good forums meltdown. You ruined it.

FYAD is that way dude, leave Splatoon alone.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but its also more complicated, so its not strictly superior. You have to mentally decode movements into either motion or a combination of motion and stick. The intuitive direct stick just works better for me.

Yeah, if you don't want to learn anything new, you can get by with turning off gyro. You can always just focus on spreading ink instead of kills. You'd get better if you learned to use the gyro, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

Yeah, if you don't want to learn anything new, you can get by with turning off gyro. You can always just focus on spreading ink instead of kills. You'd get better if you learned to use the gyro, though.

Okay, you've expressed this attitude many many times and we disagree. Lets move on.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

jivjov posted:

Why would they allow a player to willfully gimp themselves in competitive multiplayer? The tablet has the map and enables superjumping to allies. I'm sure Nintendo would LOVE to read all the hate mail about"what the gently caress why can't I jump to my teammates like everyone else can?"

For the same reason that most PC FPS's have controller support, catering to the preferences of their audience.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, you've expressed this attitude many many times and we disagree. Lets move on.

The catch phrase of someone who knows they lost the argument, but doesn't want to admit it.

Bland posted:

For the same reason that most PC FPS's have controller support, catering to the preferences of their audience.

In Titanfall they even gave the people who used a controller auto aim so they wouldn't get stomped so hard.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 27, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

The catch phrase of someone who knows they lost the argument, but doesn't want to admit it.

Lmao that's some top-notch :goonsay:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

You can't map a touchsceen control to a Pro Controller.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im still not even sure why Zaphod is mad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm not even sure why you post

Please, just stop making GBS threads up the splatoon thread and go somewhere else, nobody thinks you're cool being all internet toughguy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Got my amazon preorder in for delivery.

Can't wait to make inky.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have that leaked target pic of how much of the amiibos and poo poo they are going to have on friday

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
We're approaching alarming levels of Netrunner/Splatoon overlap.

BRB, drawing tentacles on my Chaos Theory ID (couldn't be any worse than her actual hair)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Anyone have that leaked target pic of how much of the amiibos and poo poo they are going to have on friday

Only enough for the guy in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

NBHS posted:

We're approaching alarming levels of Netrunner/Splatoon overlap.

BRB, drawing tentacles on my Chaos Theory ID (couldn't be any worse than her actual hair)

Happens in YOSPOS too.

Also I'd love a decent edit of that.

• Locked thread