Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Radish posted:

Is there any redeeming feature to Evangelical Christianity?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Makes it easier to pick out the assholes

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

That if it goes into law will be abused to hell. Jesus

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You'd really think conservative pundits would be coming down harder on the TPP -- the Democratic base is so rabidly against it that it'd be a PR nightmare for Obama if properly exploited by the opposition. Of course, ideology trumps politics if and only if corporate profits are on the line.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Radish posted:

There *are* non-assholes who identify themselves as evangelicals, and evangelicalism was a thing long before it was hijacked by the American right wing in the 20th century. Which is why I prefer "fundamentalist" as a label for the Christian right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This one I kinda agree with (I think?) but even then its pretty dumb.

And what the heck is going on with those elephants? They're like eating each other or something?

I actually like this in a surrealist Salvador Dali style way. But as a political cartoon its pretty hideous.

Looks like the cover to a Shel Silverstein book.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Radish posted:

Jimmy Carter's about the only thing I can think of.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

J_RBG posted:

So I hate to drag up this old mess again but super-good British cartoonist Martin Rowson did a speech in February on Charlie Hebdo. It's one of the best things I've read on the subject, and it's been put up here if you're interested.

It starts by saying the attack was insignificant compared to the massacre committed by Boko Haram on the same day, continues by claiming using pen names made the cartoonists some sort of voodoo hitmen, then it compares them to Julius Streicher, goes on to equivocates wanting the covers to be shown to initiating the Kristallnacht Protocol, and concludes by saying Charlie pushed free expression too far. He skillfully hit all the marks in victim blaming. I give it ten :godwinning: out of ten.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

This one I kinda agree with (I think?) but even then its pretty dumb.

And what the heck is going on with those elephants? They're like eating each other or something?

I actually like this in a surrealist Salvador Dali style way. But as a political cartoon its pretty hideous.

Looks like the cover to a Shel Silverstein book.

I'm pretty sure it's the Republican equivalent of horses' asses.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I'm curious, would 'Pro-Vegan anti 'carnist'' cartoons be considered political? If so I've got a source that the thread might enjoy.

As an appetizer (har har) have a couple of the more crazy ones I've seen so far.

Literally SDAGDC taken to its purest form.

. . .Or can they go deeper? :stare:

Did you know that there was at one point a comic that they were trying to make, based around a vegan super hero, and all the evil 'Carnists' regular people doing horrible things, such as picking up dogs and screaming that there's not enough meat on it to eat?

Timg'd for size and a bit of blood spatter.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/LdaUvq0.jpg :nws:
:stare:

I just don't know what to say about that one.

I'm getting Muir levels of mary sue here.

last one for now, not sure if the thread'll like them. But it struck me as something that might fit. They at the very least sure do show a lot of the symptoms of a bad political cartoon, and as a lot of them that I've seen boil down to 'not being vegan causes climate change!' they do have political overtones.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2015

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!
Those cartoons are clearly a false flag operation run by EVIL CARNISTS, because they have made me hate vegans.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

there's so much wrong with this comparison but lol so vegan they don't even know that you should probably remove the shell before eating an egg

also is that last one actually referring to any farmer that has actually said they treat cattle like their children? is there an actual quote they're sourcing, or are they just putting words into the mouth of a strawman milk pimp

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 27, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

E-Tank posted:

...rear end-vagina?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

albany academy posted:

there's so much wrong with this comparison but lol so vegan they don't even know that you should probably remove the shell before eating an egg

also is that last one actually referring to any farmer that has actually said they treat cattle like their children? is there an actual quote they're sourcing, or are they just putting words into the mouth of a strawman milk pimp

There's no quote sourced with it, for all I know it's literally just comes from the little tumor in the back of their brain that screams that anyone who eats meat is evil.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

...rear end-vagina?

Birds have weird rear end reproductive systems. Don't question it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Why is this so controversial? Here joining a foreign army attacking the U.S. is an automatic death penalty.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Haha wow. Probably doesn't need to be said, but please don't judge vegans based on those horrible cartoon.

e: I'm already seeing the word "they" used in reactions, please don't.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Welp, we can't judge people based on horrible cartoons. Time to close the thread, everybody.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Hasters posted:

Why is this so controversial? Here joining a foreign army attacking the U.S. is an automatic death penalty.

where is here?

also,

quote:

But it was a divisive issue in Cabinet. In a tense meeting last night, six cabinet ministers including the Defence Minister, the Foreign Minister and the Attorney General all raised concerns about the rule of law, worried this proposal lacked rigorous oversight and could unfairly target some groups.

the fact that those key ministers voiced that key concern gives me hope that australia is possibly saner than most of north america because canada went off the rails with c51

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

E-Tank posted:

It's a little weird how grossed out this person seems to be by vaginas. I mean, sure, handing someone a used sex toy is not usually acquaintance behavior but not because vaginas are icky or anything.

quote:

I'm getting Muir levels of mary sue here.

Actually this makes me think of those iron pill comics for some reason.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Welp, we can't judge people based on horrible cartoons. Time to close the thread, everybody.

That is why I despise Americans because of Ramirez.

That is why I like Americans because of Bennett and Sorensen.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Actually this makes me think of those iron pill comics for some reason.

Vegetable based gelatin pill.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Eat the rich you say, Lisa Benson?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Good cartoon out of nowhere for *click*oden!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

E-Tank posted:

Nothing's more gross to me than a food that's ever been in touch with poop. Which is why I don't eat root vegetables.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My opinion on veganism, gluten free stuff, and just about everything else diet-related is: don't be a food bully. Let people eat what they are eating (or choosing not to eat) in peace. Eating is a thing that people have to do every day and bodies are weird and specific sometimes, and it is a much more personal choice than people give it credit for. People have to make their concessions to capitalism in this society and it's pretty lovely to judge them for making those concessions to the meat industry, but holy poo poo are people assholes to vegans, vegetarians or people keeping any kind of dietary restriction, as if a person's own personal choice not to eat specific things is some kind of a personal affront to them and an unspoken judgment on them.

There are definitely reasonable vegans, you just don't tend to hear about them because, hell, they're quiet about it. Then there are the buffoons who draw these kinds of comics or who try to force their carnivore pets to eat vegan.

That was more words than I intended to type, but it really pisses me off how awful people are about everyone else's food. Leave the vegetarian alone, and I don't care how many nutrition classes you took, stop telling people that smoothies are less healthy than just eating fruit a propos of nothing when they're having a smoothie, or telling people the fat content of the burger they're having, or explaining how the more expensive, cool version of the food is tastier. Christ!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

There *are* non-assholes who identify themselves as evangelicals, and evangelicalism was a thing long before it was hijacked by the American right wing in the 20th century. Which is why I prefer "fundamentalist" as a label for the Christian right.

The best label for the Christian Right is the Christian Right. Narrowing it to just Fundies/Evangelicals leaves out Mormons, Pentecostals, and the conservative sides of otherwise more moderate religions in the US like Catholics and Methodists. But we were talking about Fundies. There is nothing redeeming about Evangelicalism because that would imply that there is something good enough to validate it's existence. There isn't. Jimmy Carter and the compassionate, charitable outreach he represents is not enough to justify the damage Evangelical culture does with it's offer of easy answers that demands little to nothing in the way of actual sacrifice, self-awareness, or personal growth in exchange for total salvation.

djw175 posted:

Birds have weird rear end reproductive systems. Don't question it.

At one point you too had a cloaca, mr. smarty pants.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Despite the attempt at snark in this cartoon, he's ironically right in that Obama didn't create ISIL.

Zarqawi formed it 1999, joined al-Qaeda in 2005, and declared themselves as The Islamic State of Iraq in 2006. This was all before Obama was the national political darling to the Conservative's rage boner.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 27, 2015

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I can't see this as anything but a Mad Magazine fold-in that accidentally got done wrong.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Radish posted:

Not fearing death was nice.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

there wolf posted:

you mean my dangly bits weren't always so dangly!?!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

there wolf posted:

The best chocolate bars are at least 80% cloaca.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Not fearing death was nice.

But then there was all the neuroses that come along with believing in Hell.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

No, he didn't. AGC.

quote:

Putting hot takes in the mouths of the dead. Seriously, gently caress wingnut cartoonists.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

I can't see this as anything but a Mad Magazine fold-in that accidentally got done wrong.

The all... ighty... ollar? :newlol:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Would probably make me angry if it wasn't so ridiculous.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

alnilam posted:

Haha wow. Probably doesn't need to be said, but please don't judge vegans based on those horrible cartoon.

e: I'm already seeing the word "they" used in reactions, please don't.
I think it's just using "they/their" in place of a proper pronoun because the sex/gender of the author is unknown.

But obviously this person is insane and is burying his or her fair points in 9,000+ levels of DASGDC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

If the warming is global, what are they sectioning off?

• Locked thread