Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I missed katawa shoujo chat in the last thread, but I want to chip in and say that eroges are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I should read szs
I only ever watched assorted episodes of the TV show before learning the manga had ended and jumping in to read the last chapter.

Now that was an experience.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I went to work for a little while then brought some stuff home to work on, so I'll get to watch Ore Monogatari in 20 minutes instead of having to wait until tonight.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I discovered SZS through the magic of Tv Tropes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I discovered SZS through the magic of Tv Tropes.

:whitewater:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Namtab posted:

I missed katawa shoujo chat in the last thread, but I want to chip in and say that eroges are good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Me composing another thoughtful post in the anime chat thread of Something Awful Dot Com.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:tvtropes:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is TV Tropes considered taboo here? I find it an excellent reference point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there was a stupid pyf thread for it that kept attracting really bad posters to this site

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The userbase is really bad and it comes through in pretty much all the pages apart from the main ones, and oftentimes even on those. I think they've had to split the site a couple times now due to that, but I haven't looked at it in years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tl;dr tvtropes started as a buffy fansite

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

there was a stupid pyf thread for it that kept attracting really bad posters to this site

I looked at it awhile back and they were still obsessing over the same people from many years ago.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What is your favourite anime (yes, you)?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

I looked at it awhile back and they were still obsessing over the same people from many years ago.

mock threads are kinda funny for like a day before they become populated by posters just as bad as the site they're mocking.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Where is the ADTRW mock thread? I'm sure I would be a popular subject of conversation there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That reminds me, episode four of the GoT game is out today.

littleorv posted:

Macross Plus.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in secret adtrw

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

littleorv posted:

idk probably TTGL or maybe Azumanga or Nichijou

littleorv posted:

Where is the ADTRW mock thread? I'm sure I would be a popular subject of conversation there.

The vita and smt threads

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

daily lives of high school boys, working, k-on

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

mock threads are kinda funny for like a day before they become populated by posters just as bad as the site they're mocking.

p much

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

House of Five Leaves

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

littleorv posted:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, The Tatami Galaxy, that's about it unless we count manga

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

littleorv posted:

LoGH

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

littleorv posted:

Girls und panzer

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
YES new lupin info
Semi episode 1 spoilers?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

littleorv posted:

<--------

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

A lot of shows I haven't seen but I'm assuming they are all very good since everyone here has good taste.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Haruhi

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

littleorv posted:

kaiba, ping pong, giant robo

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Eva

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Has the Blloood Blockade Battlefront anime done the story about K.K. trying to find a card for her son yet?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

littleorv posted:

Yoamushi Pedal, Girls und Panzer, Reconguista

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

The idea of breaking down a work into tropes is not bad in itself, analysing how a particular thing works, what it adds to a piece.

The problem is:

- most tropes are just things that exist ("Hawaiian shirt" is a trope, for one of the more obvious examples)

- There is no analysis of what things mean or why they are used. A page for a work will just have a list of "tropes" in it, a page for a trope will just have a list of works that it appears in. There's little to no attempt to think of why a trope is used or how it is used.

- Dumbass naming scheme for each trope

- The tendancy of tropers to name tropes outside of the site, regardless of how awkward it makes a sentance

- The tendancy of tropers to capitalise tropes outside of their site as though it will magically become a hyperlink

- Ultimately, TVTropes is like a nerd taking apart a radio and naming each piece without thinking about how each piece works to make a radio. It's decent enough as a list site, but it's not really anything like the reference tool TVTropes advocates make it out to be.

That's just the current problems with the main site.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

littleorv posted:

I can't decide!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The mock threads became boring after all the creey posters quit, got banned or came here and all that was left was bad posters with delusions of authorship

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Has the Blloood Blockade Battlefront anime done the story about K.K. trying to find a card for her son yet?

they haven't yet and probably won't adapt it.

tvtropes chat: i like the site if only to easily find series with character archetypes i like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

they haven't yet and probably won't adapt it.

But it's the best story. They can just stretch it out a bit to make it a whole episode

• Locked thread