Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So the new DLC is out: "Contract - Missing miners". Anyone check this one out yet? Where do you get it, which level etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jaete posted:

So the new DLC is out: "Contract - Missing miners". Anyone check this one out yet? Where do you get it, which level etc?

New content already??

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
Oh, just realised 1.04 is out for PC as of a couple days ago. Make sure to update if you havent already.

One thing ill say is im very pleased with the frequency and quality of patches since release. My borderline PC couldnt really handle the game on ultra settings (minus hairworks, that poo poo destroyed framerate) for release version but 1.03 allowed me to pump it up (hairworks included!) and the most recent patch states even more optimisation and improvements, not to mention even better grahpics. Not only is the game running smoother since release, its actually looking better. And all in the space of a week and a bit.

CDPR have got my trust i think.

Han Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 27, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I had some problems using delusion with a controller until I noticed that it works better if you slowly push the trigger down instead doing it normally.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Kurtofan posted:

New content already??

16 free DLCs baby.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

grimcreaper posted:

It frustrates me to no end that you can't attack any of the priests of the eternal fire. Why the hell not? Those people are loving scumbags but I can murder all the guards I want.

There's a priest near Mulbrydale that asks you to burn some bodies for him and he's set to auto-dismember in one hit

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's a priest near Mulbrydale that asks you to burn some bodies for him and he's set to auto-dismember in one hit

:getin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ButteCysts posted:

I think it comes down to how many signs you use. Igni is so all-purpose i use it for pretty much all situations. Pepper in a bit of yrden and you should be golden.. Aard is just for shits and giggles really. Basically if i wasnt using Griffin School Techniques, id be using the slot on something that i barely ever use which is still a loss of 10% intensity and 20% stamina regen (which isnt negligible)

Well depending on what you replace Griffin School Techniques with, you're getting 0.5 stamina/s regen from each rank. I was probably the guy making the argument "against" it, though what I mostly meant was since it doesn't scale it becomes less attractive as you level. Early on you don't have that many points to work with so that 1pt investment in Griffin School is a lotta bang for your buck. However now at level 15 I am drowning in ability points and have more abilities than active slots to use them, so space is at a premium and I could see why you might drop or periodically switch out Griffin School for a particularly juicy ability.

I feel like that's how to best use the generic 1pt abilities, they're really efficient uses of 1pt and are pretty powerful, but eventually you're going to miss out on mutagen bonuses and feel cramped for ability slots, so you probably don't want more than a couple of those.

I took Sun and Stars and it was super useful early in the game on second-hardest difficulty due to the lack of health regen on meditation, but I never use it now. At some point I'll do a respec, have plenty of extra points to play with at the moment though. When I do I'll keep Griffin School and probably take the ability that lets signs generate adrenaline. Even if I don't have them active all the time that's only 2pts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jaete posted:

Is it? I don't see it on PSN. Was it a part of that patch or is it just not up yet on PS4?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who sells the griffin upgrade maps? I have been to every shop and only found one of them. I have a feeling it might be a trapped person but I haven't any idea which.

Honestly, I cheated and looked online where I had to go to start the questline. The game tells me the places from there on out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ButteCysts posted:

16 free DLCs baby.

Wow, are they downloaded automatically?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Azazell0 posted:

Honestly, I cheated and looked online where I had to go to start the questline. The game tells me the places from there on out.

Yeah that's certainly my backup solution, was hoping to get nice quest markers though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Wow, are they downloaded automatically?

You have to "buy" the dlc pack then activate them in the gog client, only 4 are actually out yet though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Avalerion posted:

You have to "buy" the dlc pack then activate them in the gog client, only 4 are actually out yet though.

And on psn? on the store?

Thanks.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Instructions for installing DLC on PC using Galaxy are here.

In order for that to work, you'll need to click on Witcher 3 on the left side panel, and in the right panel on the right side you can click on the "WItcher 3: Wild Hunt, The - Free DLC Prog" and "buy" it.

Steam should do it automagically.

Consoles I imagine will be on a bit of a delay as M$/Sony need to "approve" them first. Although maybe they are handling that ahead of time so it releases at the same time for all platforms.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yup! Found this out sorta on accident. I was attacking one of his body guards and he happened to run into the arc of my swing. His body just flew apart. It was very satisfying because gently caress that guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

And on psn? on the store?

Thanks.

This is what I was asking myself. The first two are on the store and you have to manually download them, but the next two aren't. There was a ~500mb patch today though, maybe they were in there (I doubt it).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I assume it should be the same on psn, gog lists it as the "free dlc program". Also not to be confused with the paid dlc, which has a separate preorder/season pass.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the Magic Trap alternate mode for Yrden? From videos I've seen it looks really powerful--repeatedly zapping enemies within its range while you're free to keep fighting. I haven't had a chance to try out too many of the alternate modes myself yet, except for Firestream.

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!

Skeezy posted:

Just got patch 1.03 for the PS4.

Can you comment on the performance fixes in 1.03? I feel like if this game could keep a solid 30fps on PS4 I'd be so much happier. I have a decent PC, but I'm too far on the PS4 to restart now.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyway, back to the main game, Gwent.

Anyone come up with cards? I was thinking of printing out some cards to draft, anyone have a set converted already or will I need to invest some time in a photo editing software?

Harrow posted:

How's the Magic Trap alternate mode for Yrden? From videos I've seen it looks really powerful--repeatedly zapping enemies within its range while you're free to keep fighting. I haven't had a chance to try out too many of the alternate modes myself yet, except for Firestream.

The fire rate could stand to be improved, it only hits one target per salvo. Larger enemies don't get knocked back as much. It's more CC than anything. It does wreck wraiths and foglets though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solartide posted:

Anyone come up with cards? I was thinking of printing out some cards to draft, anyone have a set converted already or will I need to invest some time in a photo editing software?

I think you will spend more time making cards than the lifespan that the game stays fun for - it's extremely simple to "solve" and I can't imagine drafting fixes to any serious degree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solartide posted:

The fire rate could stand to be improved, it only hits one target per salvo. Larger enemies don't get knocked back as much. It's more CC than anything. It does wreck wraiths and foglets though.

Given that wraiths are some of the toughest enemies for me, that sounds promising.

I can't really decide whether I want to invest more heavily into Yrden or Quen. I know that I want pretty much all of the Igni abilities (maybe not Melt Armor, but intensity, Firestream, and higher burning chance sound amazing) and probably Delusion equipped pretty much always, but that (coupled with a few quality-of-life Swordsmanship abilities and things like Rage Management and Griffin School Techniques) doesn't leave much room to enhance other Signs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Johnny is great. That's all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does higher burning chance affect anything if you're already at 100%, like burning higher level enemies? I know I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer here but I may as well ask. I don't have the skill because I'm already at 100%.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

OP as hell. It'll stagger basically anything at on regular intervals.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Solartide posted:

The CE comes with 2 gwent decks, I haven't really opened mine yet - I assume they're identical to ingame.

e: yep, Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard. I would pay good money for the remaining decks, especially neutral cards, even though I have no intention of ever trying to play against a human opponent. Leaving out Ciri and Geralt cards, among others, feels like a huge missed opportunity. But at least I have Broche :)

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 27, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Harrow posted:

I can't really decide whether I want to invest more heavily into Yrden or Quen. I know that I want pretty much all of the Igni abilities (maybe not Melt Armor, but intensity, Firestream, and higher burning chance sound amazing) and probably Delusion equipped pretty much always, but that (coupled with a few quality-of-life Swordsmanship abilities and things like Rage Management and Griffin School Techniques) doesn't leave much room to enhance other Signs.

I'm playing on the 2nd difficulty, which I'm regretting since everything is super easy. I invested 0 points into Quen and it soaks 2-3 hits per cast with my +178% sign intensity.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Solartide posted:

I'm playing on the 2nd difficulty, which I'm regretting since everything is super easy. I invested 0 points into Quen and it soaks 2-3 hits per cast with my +178% sign intensity.

The stock Quen doesn't go away as soon as you're hit? :stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archimago posted:

The stock Quen doesn't go away as soon as you're hit? :stare:

Quen soaks hits until you reach its breaking point. Damage doesn't break through but you can absolutely soak multiple hits.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is there a way to get the 9000 coins from the High Stake Gwent tournament ?
Seems to be either half of it by buddying up with another player to get the prize or tell him to piss off and get nothing. It seems the quest is bugged.

Can't even kill the partner afterwards to get the other half.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Active shield quen is crazy good when you fully upgrade it. You can just sit there and let enemies hit you until you have full health, then release it and stagger them all.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Begemot posted:

Active shield quen is crazy good when you fully upgrade it. You can just sit there and let enemies hit you until you have full health, then release it and stagger them all.

That...sounds OP as hell. Is there a catch? Does this make the game boring?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

From my experience going sign build and at level 16, any upgraded sign makes the game boring. I could just stunlock everything with Igni, but I'm still tossing around Yrden, Quen and Axii just to spice things up a bit.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Green man Gaming just sent me an email with a £10 voucher off this game, so go nuts, I assume it's not a one time use thing.

SAVEMO-NEYSAV-EMONEY

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Will the game tell me when the point of no return is or should I just kinda guess it from context? I'm doing my sidequests only when they are level equivalent to the main quest and don't want to find out the main quest only goes up to level 25 or something while sidequests go up to a million.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

there is a large opportunity cost in that you could have spend all that stamina and time hitting monsters with igni and your sword instead

like, you're low on health, you get smacked around some, maybe regain some health, maybe take more on the last hit than you got back, you're in roughly the same spot with the monsters having the same amount of health - compare that to just using igni instead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 27, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Given that wraiths are some of the toughest enemies for me, that sounds promising.

I wasn't super impressed with the Quen upgrades but I didn't try out an alternate-Quen playstyle. The lowest tier Quen upgrades just make it stun/damage when it breaks and I found that really underwhelming. Having a lot of Sign Intensity from gear will strengthen your Quen to be able to soak a couple hits from easier enemies. Anything hard is still gonna pop it in one hit usually. So I'd say unless you're doing an alt-Quen build then skip upgrading it.

Upgraded Yrden is pretty great. The alt mode is a lightning turret, for me does similar damage to a sword hit every second or so and staggers the target. Good against fliers and nice passive damage while you cut things, but has a bit of a cast time so you're often not going to get it off against big groups. Note that Sign Intensity increases Yrden duration and if you spec into it you can have multiple traps up at once. That kinda trivializes wraiths when you can drop more than one 30s+ duration Yrdens.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Holy poo poo I have never laughed at a video game as hard as I laughed at

The Hangover Part 4: Witcher Party

Getting smashed, then dressing up in Yennifer's clothes with Lambert and Eskel and prank calling some dude on the megascope. loving hilarious. Well worth my money. That whole scene, especially since I had just turned down Yen for sex was amazing and perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

For those who were wondering if the Griffin School technique skill is worth it or not, at least for me it's broken and almost doubles stamina regeneration. It beats out the 10% sign intensity and ~2.5 stamina you get from slotting a sign skill by a mile.