Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Edit: I admit that "Rey looks like a puppy because of his current mental state" seems more likely than "he's in a different toy now", I didn't think of that

Sorry for my tone. I'm just getting used to this thread being retarded lately.

But my theory is that he got an ownership change before being handed over to Anthony (accidentally, subconsciously, etc). Anthony is being an absolute poo poo to him like he was being a poo poo towards Annie, and that's wrecked Rey's self esteem. Thus him also reverting back to a child-like state. That, or he's stuck between his basic toy form, and the plush form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Or a wolf would not fit on the roll top desk

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Well Kat has the symbol burned all over her workshop and it was above their heads in the ROTD, Annie saw it cause she got annoyed and waved it away. Also I think it was stated when she first got him that the symbol signified he was hers.

I'm pretty sure Annie wears an Antimony symbol necklace, does she not?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or how about the simplest explanation: He looks like a corgi because he's halfway between turning from a toy into a wolf uurgahghjagjhbb

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Or he reckons Tony is probably anal-retentive enough to notice if he changed position even slightly so he isn't willing to change much.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
He's in the old toy for 2 of the 3 panels guys, and pops into wolfpupy form when he goes to talk (and reveal the sign) not because it is a new toy body. Don't overthink this guys

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Well, Kat did take Renard for a brief moment:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1502

I figured this is where the transfer happened

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Oh my loving god Anthony has totally turned Renard into a robot

He's got Kat's symbol because she's, like, the angel of robots and poo poo

... Ahahahahaha, I knew this would turn out loving awesome! :buddy:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Yesssss.

I mean, how, but also yesss.

The camera is telling me someone should check out the chair before this goes on too much longer.

The chair is characterization of Anthony.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rey there's a pube on your forehead, ew gross.

Also Parley should stop stealing Velma Dinkley's clothes.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bilirubin posted:

Or a wolf would not fit on the roll top desk

He has a smaller form that he's used pretty often!

Although he tends to be a smug mischievous rear end in a top hat when he's in that form and I guess he's not in that mindset right now

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wish he was a pidgeon.

that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
When I read the new page I was glad Renard didn't hate Annie or anything. His concern for her was sweet but also sad :( I hadn't noticed Kat's symbol before. I like Kat but she feels so perfect that I find it a little a boring. But I am glad she is a good friend to Annie.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

I wish he was a pidgeon.

that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Now praying that this will happen

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

This detour into magical loopholes is kind of strange.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cruel and Unusual posted:

This detour into magical loopholes is kind of strange.

it's tony's own fault for not having a lawyer on retainer to write out an rear end in a top hat genie-proof contract

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe Corgidyne is somehow caused by the ownership change?

"Corgidyne" sounds like a hosed-up puppy-powered steampunk technology.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i bet this is actually a trick by coyote

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
The chair is Coyote

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The cursed teapot is in the chair.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fffff posted:

The chair is Coyote

:downsbravo: hahaha very funny we get it great joke that hasn't been run into the ground .

We get it Eglamore was a bit indistinguishable in the early comics but everyone can recognise Jimmy Jims now.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Rumda posted:

:downsbravo: hahaha very funny we get it great joke that hasn't been run into the ground .

We get it Eglamore was a bit indistinguishable in the early comics but everyone can recognise Jimmy Jims now.

... You think the chair is in Eglamore? :confused:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

thought eglamore was the dude teleporting with them????

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Is it possible that Kat built an emergency backup Renard doll, and Renard put himself into it?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Okay step one (get in) and step two (get Reynard) are complete. Now time for step 3 (take Rey, leave a perfectly mundane plush in his place). :v:
On a related note: Do any of the treatises show Rey's symbol clearly? I mean, he's been on Kat/The Court's side whenever he's shown up in them anyway so it doesn't make that much difference, but still....

e:

MikeJF posted:

The Chair contains Surma's preserved corpse, ready to be reanimated.
The Chair contains Surma's mummified corpse, with which Tony has Batesian conversations. The kids spot this when hiding after getting surprised in the next strip after he returns early.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 27, 2015

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Why can't we just take the most simple explanation which is that Annie did indeed pass him on to Kat and is lying to her father (badly)? Reynard also says the body is a plaything of the mind, and his mind is in a real bad place at the moment, a place where he feels helpless, and so appears as a puppy.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Inglonias posted:

Is it possible that Kat built an emergency backup Renard doll, and Renard put himself into it?
Antimony glued eyes onto her lockpick set, and Kat breathed robo-life into it! :supaburn:

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Maybe I just thought it obvious, but judging by the stuttering in Annie's words here, she most likely subverted Tony's authority and transferred ownership off-screen. Cue a short explanation of the official transfer of ownership to Kat that ends with "I'd much rather be owned by you than that horrible man." from Corgidine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quantum Finger posted:

Why can't we just take the most simple explanation which is that Annie did indeed pass him on to Kat and is lying to her father (badly)? Reynard also says the body is a plaything of the mind, and his mind is in a real bad place at the moment, a place where he feels helpless, and so appears as a puppy.

Annie is not currently capable of defying and deceiving Anthony on this matter.

The mind is the plaything of the body, not the other way around.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The chair has Anthony's empty skin in it. Minus one hand of course.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

The chair has Anthony's empty skin in it. Minus one hand of course.

The chair has Anthony's hand in it, animated Thing-style

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Bongo Bill posted:

Annie is not currently capable of defying and deceiving Anthony on this matter.

The mind is the plaything of the body, not the other way around.

...well, you're right that he says that, but Tom has said that Rey's form changes based on how he's feeling which seems like it should be the other way around. Like if he's feeling trickstery he's the doll, and noble and helpful and powerful he becomes a wolf. So the mind affects the body.

I'll admit that hoping Annie knowingly transferred control offscreen is probably wishful thinking on my part. But it would be nice!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He looks different because he's in a different doll that belongs to Kat now.

This seems pretty obvious to me.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

JT Jag posted:

He looks different because he's in a different doll that belongs to Kat now.

This seems pretty obvious to me.

Anthony would be able to figure out if Renard wasn't even "Home," so to speak. I hope he isn't that easily fooled.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Inglonias posted:

Anthony would be able to figure out if Renard wasn't even "Home," so to speak. I hope he isn't that easily fooled.
Would he? How? All he said before was that Renard wasn't accepting his commands. That might mean that he's being unresponsive.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well I dunno how it happened, but I know when it happened. Somewhat. It had to happen after Anthony came to teach at the court, because at the end of Totem, Reynardine is still sporting Annie's mark. So I guess we'll soon get filled in on how it happened, because this is someting that you shouldn't keep the readers in the dark about.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

JT Jag posted:

Would he? How? All he said before was that Renard wasn't accepting his commands. That might mean that he's being unresponsive.

The man capable of etheric space surgery probably has a trick or two up his sleeve.

Also, the doll itself looks the same. Kat clearly didn't know about the transfer of ownership to her, and presumably Kat would know if she owned a replica of Renard's body, so your scenario doesn't seem particularly clear to me. He also doesn't need a new body to look different, just a new mental state.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Super Waffle posted:

Well, Kat did take Renard for a brief moment:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1502

I figured this is where the transfer happened

This seems possible explanation to me - Maybe Annie's command was something along the lines of "I'm giving you to somebody else, they're going to come and pick you up and they're going to be in charge of you now" but she didn't specify who because she didn't want to argue with Reynardine (though he then started to argue with her of course, to get her to tell him what's happening).

Then Kat comes in and takes Renard between the command and Anthony getting to him.

This way, Annie might actually be oblivious to the fact Kat is the new owner.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Noonsaliwah posted:

This seems possible explanation to me - Maybe Annie's command was something along the lines of "I'm giving you to somebody else, they're going to come and pick you up and they're going to be in charge of you now" but she didn't specify who because she didn't want to argue with Reynardine (though he then started to argue with her of course, to get her to tell him what's happening).

Then Kat comes in and takes Renard between the command and Anthony getting to him.
Kat straight up told him, "Do something!" If he obeyed, I've no idea how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

maswastaken posted:

Kat straight up told him, "Do something!" If he obeyed, I've no idea how.

Yeah, a fair point. I guess that's not it then! Ownership must have been transferred between Kat leaving and now.