Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's a priest near Mulbrydale that asks you to burn some bodies for him and he's set to auto-dismember in one hit

I helped him because I didn't want ghouls eating peasants. I should see if he's still around and see if he can.. Give me a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh god, there is too much poo poo to do, I entered the first open area after white orchard and it's just quests the whole way down.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

grimcreaper posted:

I helped him because I didn't want ghouls eating peasants. I should see if he's still around and see if he can.. Give me a hand.

I helped him but the end of the quest turned violent for me. One of the pits had a guy still alive fighting ghouls. After I helped him he told me the priest set him up and was dealing drugs. Can't walk away from that. Witcher Code.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

ImpAtom posted:

Quen soaks hits until you reach its breaking point. Damage doesn't break through but you can absolutely soak multiple hits.

Ah. On Death March with stock quen I've yet to find anything that doesn't immediately blow it up, with the exception of the mud throwing poo poo from Water Hags.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's the exact experience penalty for Death March?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

For those who were wondering if the Griffin School technique skill is worth it or not, at least for me it's broken and almost doubles stamina regeneration. It beats out the 10% sign intensity and ~2.5 stamina you get from slotting a sign skill by a mile.

If it's actually broken then I almost want to avoid using it to avoid the inevitable letdown when it's fixed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Levantine posted:

I helped him but the end of the quest turned violent for me. One of the pits had a guy still alive fighting ghouls. After I helped him he told me the priest set him up and was dealing drugs. Can't walk away from that. Witcher Code.

The eternal fire seems to be one of those fantasy religions that have no beliefs beyond be a complete dick. I think that knight guy from the first game was the only dude who wasn't a crazy rear end in a top hat.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Ws the game balanced with the assumption that you don't do sidequests? The combat was really engaging the first couple of days, but it's got to the point after finishing up Novingrad that i outlevel everything. I just recently got to Skellige and most of the quests are 5 levels below me. It makes fighting stuff really boring because i can just mash the attack button and kill everything without having to use tactics or worry about dying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archimago posted:

Ah. On Death March with stock quen I've yet to find anything that doesn't immediately blow it up, with the exception of the mud throwing poo poo from Water Hags.

Quen starts to take extra hits on Death March when your Sign intensity goes up, it is pretty funny when attacking alghouls.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

What's the exact experience penalty for Death March?

I am currently Level 18 and it is 1500 XP to get to Level 19. I'd suspect they'd just change that as opposed to changing XP payouts for all quests, but I could be wrong. So if someone else is Level 18 and wants to compare we can check that way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CJ posted:

Ws the game balanced with the assumption that you don't do sidequests? The combat was really engaging the first couple of days, but it's got to the point after finishing up Novingrad that i outlevel everything. I just recently got to Skellige and most of the quests are 5 levels below me. It makes fighting stuff really boring because i can just mash the attack button and kill everything without having to use tactics or worry about dying.

Combat feels trivial once you figure out how to fight regardless of level differences, IMO. At level 5 I was fighting those giant groups of pirates on the Western coast of Velen and just running train on them hard. Eight dudes? No problem, Igni for CC Axii for instant kills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing this on the PS4 and I'm loving it. I think it's crazy amazing and it's eating up all of my free time.

Please keep posting complaints about the game, goons. I derive great enjoyment from people who are clearly being forced to engage with something that is atrocious because it's not realistic enough/too realistic/graphically unacceptable/won't run on PC/has bad combat/changed things from previous games. The really passionate posts about inventory management or movement are my favorite. My heart goes out to you, slaves to the system, joylessly pressing buttons and feeling your blood pressure rise as Geralt fails to meet your standards.

To be fair, my experience is not without hiccups. I found a page in the tutorials that's still in Polish, and I had to restart the game once because someone wouldn't talk to me. But overall it's a fantastic piece of work and a shinning gem of the genre.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

For those who were wondering if the Griffin School technique skill is worth it or not, at least for me it's broken and almost doubles stamina regeneration. It beats out the 10% sign intensity and ~2.5 stamina you get from slotting a sign skill by a mile.
Yeah it might be granting +20% stamina regen per each armor item instead of +5% (20% total).

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh god, there is too much poo poo to do, I entered the first open area after white orchard and it's just quests the whole way down.

Wanna know the best part? Pretty much all of those quests are well-written and engaging and I haven't stumbled upon anything as trite or MMO-style as "gather 5 bear asses." It's truly an achievement in writing and world-building that I can sink 40+ hours into Velen/Novigrad and virtually none of it felt grindy or repetitive.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

either i've been playing this game far, far too much or julian assange is starting to look dangerously like geralt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm playing this on the PS4 and I'm loving it. I think it's crazy amazing and it's eating up all of my free time.

Please keep posting complaints about the game, goons. I derive great enjoyment from people who are clearly being forced to engage with something that is atrocious because it's not realistic enough/too realistic/graphically unacceptable/won't run on PC/has bad combat/changed things from previous games. The really passionate posts about inventory management or movement are my favorite. My heart goes out to you, slaves to the system, joylessly pressing buttons and feeling your blood pressure rise as Geralt fails to meet your standards.

To be fair, my experience is not without hiccups. I found a page in the tutorials that's still in Polish, and I had to restart the game once because someone wouldn't talk to me. But overall it's a fantastic piece of work and a shinning gem of the genre.

It's cool to give honest criticism of things you like, and it's weird for that to upset you. I love the game but the inventory is atrocious and it'd have been nice if they had spent 10% of the time they spent making side content on a really good interface instead, or even any time at all.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Just discovered a kind of interesting table in the Strategy Guide that I didn't notice before:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Kinda cool, if gold wasn't so easy to come by after the first few hours. :v:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just got the Feline armor and holy poo poo does it look so much better than the Griffin set. I suspect I'll be respeccing at my next play session in to a more combat-focused build. Currently I run a mix of upgraded signs, 5/5 in the fast attack skill, and 1/3 in the alchemy skill that ups your toxicity (used for decotions), and rage management. I never took the Griffin school techniques as I felt like signs were already OP. At level 14 I feel like mobs around my level are pretty easy and I can just spam igni or axii with my +76% instensity from mutagens. Even red mobs that are susceptible to burning can be whittled down pretty easily.

I'll be interested in trying out a combat build, what skills jive with that?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

You realize that nearly all of the complaints were only written because we really like this game a lot and would love to see its flaws improved upon right? That is how things get better in this weird world that we live in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

You realize that nearly all of the complaints were only written because we really like this game a lot and would love to see its flaws improved upon right? That is how things get better in this weird world that we live in.

Also the only people who are taking a break from playing this awesome game to post are the ones who are frustrated with the UI or combat or whatever, mostly.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it might be granting +20% stamina regen per each armor item instead of +5% (20% total).

Anyone care to test this? If it's true I might have to do what someone else said and un-slot it now so I won't be disappointed after it gets fixed (if this is indeed the case).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

Also the only people who are taking a break from playing this awesome game to post are the ones who are frustrated with the UI or combat or whatever, mostly.

Or in my case, being forced to work for a living.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Anti-Hero posted:

I just got the Feline armor and holy poo poo does it look so much better than the Griffin set. I suspect I'll be respeccing at my next play session in to a more combat-focused build. Currently I run a mix of upgraded signs, 5/5 in the fast attack skill, and 1/3 in the alchemy skill that ups your toxicity (used for decotions), and rage management. I never took the Griffin school techniques as I felt like signs were already OP. At level 14 I feel like mobs around my level are pretty easy and I can just spam igni or axii with my +76% instensity from mutagens. Even red mobs that are susceptible to burning can be whittled down pretty easily.

I'll be interested in trying out a combat build, what skills jive with that?

Upgraded Griffin Armor looks dope. It's black and gold. Then the Superior goes back to the lame turquiose color scheme for some reason. I'm hoping the mastercraft stuff looks good, though that feels a million miles away even as I near the end game with a ton of quests done.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Or in my case, being forced to work for a living.

Yeah, work breakin' here, hence why I've just been responding to a couple questions and lurking the thread. You don't see a lot of posts extolling this game's virtues at length because we're all still voraciously spending time playing it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Posting in the thread at all is probably a pretty good indicator that you like the game a lot, otherwise why would you bother? I certainly don't waste my time posting in threads about games I don't like, it's really easy to not play them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Posting in the thread at all is probably a pretty good indicator that you like the game a lot, otherwise why would you bother? I certainly don't waste my time posting in threads about games I don't like, it's really easy to not play them.

But, but, but, how will others know you hate them then???+

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
One thing that's weird with these games, Witchers are supposed to be emotionless, right? They look full of emotions to me.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

One thing that's weird with these games, Witchers are supposed to be emotionless, right? They look full of emotions to me.

I think that's mostly a myth propagated by peasantfolk.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, work breakin' here, hence why I've just been responding to a couple questions and lurking the thread. You don't see a lot of posts extolling this game's virtues at length because we're all still voraciously spending time playing it.
Yeah the game is fantastic in every aspect except for the inventory management. The voice acting teamed up with the facial expressions continues to impress me immensely.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Spoiler ending story question, is there a way to kill the third crone?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, if you get the worst ending possible.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dear god this game. I just did the keira side-quest where you go into that tower and talk to the ghost. I appearantly missed one ghost so I trusted her and took her bones back to the shore. Now the fishermans dead and I appearantly caused a plague of something, while smuggly going "not the first curse I lifted" before boning keira. I even thought "hey, it's the witcher, I wonder if the ghost is just lying... nah I'll show some trust this once"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just got a loading screen that said "Eavesdropping on conversations might lead to new quests" Anyone found anything like that?

Kurtofan posted:

Yes, although you can only do it as part of one of the endings.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those who have finished the game, does Alvin ever get mentioned again, or brought up at all?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I started playing and got like the first 10 quests and got overwhelmed and quit playing because extreme panic set in... it never gets better does it

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

I think it's one of the more common side-effects of the mutagens, but it's not a rule.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

chaosapiant posted:

For those who have finished the game, does Alvin ever get mentioned again, or brought up at all?

Not that I saw.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
There's a guy imprisoned somewhere in early Velen, when you free him he says to come back to $village_name for a free shave and haircut. Where's this village though?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Meowbot posted:

I started playing and got like the first 10 quests and got overwhelmed and quit playing because extreme panic set in... it never gets better does it

Just pick one of the side quests, set it to track, and don't worry about the others?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

chaosapiant posted:

Visit the bookstore on Hierarch Square in Novigrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
poo poo, I've run into a game breaking bug. Bug occurs during the quest to find Hjalmar. When I approach the sleeping Ice Giant, the appropriate cutscene plays and ends. When it ends, I get stuck in an infinite loading screen loop. 30 seconds into the loop the "You have died" screen abruptly appears. There is no way for me to escape the loop. In the end I decided to just leave the cave and do other quests, but everytime a cutscene for a different quest is supposed to start, the ice troll cinematic plays instead and I'm back in the loop.

Shiiiiiet. Has anyone else run into this? I'm playing on PC.