Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't see this as a bad thing. The Outbreak games biggest failings were because the PS2 online infrastructure was beyond god awful. They were ahead of their time, basically. Add in proper voice chat and other modern online features and tweak the controls a bit and yeah, I totally would buy it.

Eh, maybe. Capcom probably doesn't know what to do with the Resident Evil series right now. Their best selling games is an HD remaster of a game that sold like trash on the Gamecube at the time as well as the Revelations games which were low budget side stories. The last two high budget AAA games in the series, Resident Evil 5 and 6 were very poorly received by fans and critics. I could see them going back to the drawing board and working on a remake of 2 while they figure out what to do.
As much I hate to admit it RE5 actually sold really well, like one of Capcom's best selling games of all time well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

As much I hate to admit it RE5 actually sold really well, like one of Capcom's best selling games of all time well.

Wasn't very well received by the fans though and most of those sales were probably because RE 4 was so popular. I think RE 6 sold like poo poo as a result even without it being critically panned.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I thinks it's actually possible for a re2 remaster if the re0 one sells well, and let's be honest re0 wasn't even that bad.

I'd want Clare's original VA though. I hate they didn't bring her back for revealations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Re2 wouldn't require a remaster. It would require an entire rebuild. Basically making a new game. I doubt capcom even has the source files lying around of the original backgrounds, fmv sequences etc. It would be costly compared to REmake 1 and 0.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wasn't very well received by the fans though and most of those sales were probably because RE 4 was so popular. I think RE 6 sold like poo poo as a result even without it being critically panned.

RE5 had a colossally successful marketing campaign, whereas most people on RE6's release didn't know there was anything beyond Leon's campaign, and it was arguably the least interesting one in the pack.

The quality of a game has relatively little to do with its commercial success.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Re2 wouldn't require a remaster. It would require an entire rebuild. Basically making a new game. I doubt capcom even has the source files lying around of the original backgrounds, fmv sequences etc. It would be costly compared to REmake 1 and 0.

And if re0 sells well it'll fill the coffers. Capcom is calling whatever they're doing to it a remaster, so I'm not sure if they mean a remake or not.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

And if re0 sells well it'll fill the coffers. Capcom is calling whatever they're doing to it a remaster, so I'm not sure if they mean a remake or not.

As another poster said earlier, it'll probably just be like the RE1 re-release, in that it's more or less a port of the GameCube version with updated models and controls. So, still good overall, but a far cry from the amount of work that would be required for a re-release of RE2 or 3.

That said, I'm still holding out hope, no matter how low the chances of good re-releases of 2 and 3 might be.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I suppose Capcom could use the textures from Darkside Chronicles and Operation Raccoon City as a base if they were really lazy but I think most people would want to see a Resident Evil 2 remake given the treatment it deserves, with a total overhaul.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, that first(?) gameplay trailer where the protagonist is screaming OH gently caress OH gently caress WHAT THE gently caress WHAT made me laugh because it was just so over-done. Let the player's reactions takes precedence in horror games you jerks.

I'm still trying to work out if they are just very, very slow on the uptake because of that, with their reactions to the spooky CRT monitor.

Shows me on screen? Well that's strange :geno:
Shows me slump out of my chair apparently dead? Are you seeing this? :geno:

Wait, what's this? It's showing me starting to move again OH MY loving CHAIR FLIPPING CHRIST :supaburn: it's showing me stand back up perfectly fine noooooo!

What the gently caress am I missing here?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It makes me sad when people dismiss Resident Evil 3. The gameplay additions from 2 made playing so much smoother (something Veronica lacked), Mercenaries Mode made its great debut, and STARS STARS was terrifying.

e: also am I an idiot for having fond memories of Dino Crisis? I only ever played he first one but I was hype as gently caress for that game and getting dragged through a room by a raptor was scary as poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yodzilla posted:

It makes me sad when people dismiss Resident Evil 3. The gameplay additions from 2 made playing so much smoother (something Veronica lacked), Mercenaries Mode made its great debut, and STARS STARS was terrifying.

e: also am I an idiot for having fond memories of Dino Crisis? I only ever played he first one but I was hype as gently caress for that game and getting dragged through a room by a raptor was scary as poo poo

The Dino Crisis series kind of reminds me of Alien. The first is a pretty good survival horror. The second is a kick rear end action thrill ride. And the third is the one that killed the series.

I'm not sure how they hosed up dinosaurs in space.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis 3 is a game I thankfully never played but from the gameplay footage it looked not good anyway. From what I understand, the plot is entirely unrelated to the first two Dino Crisis games anyway, though I guess that plot got wrapped up in Dino Stalker, or Gun Survivor 3 depending on where you live.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Section Z posted:

I'm still trying to work out if they are just very, very slow on the uptake because of that, with their reactions to the spooky CRT monitor.

Wait, what's this? It's showing me starting to move again OH MY loving CHAIR FLIPPING CHRIST :supaburn: it's showing me stand back up perfectly fine noooooo!

The fact that you may be a little bit jaded?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, I maybe didn't like or play it as much as RE2 but it was still really good and I enjoyed it.

Going back to REmake REmastered chat, did anybody here switch straight to full-3D controls and never look back? I used to be a Resident Evil tank control purist but I really like the analog directional movement. It doesn't allow you to use some of the old RE tactics (like backing up to a wall so that you can juke around an enemy when they turn to face you), but being able to go from almost getting bitten to immediately running away is pretty handy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

The impression I've got from the extremely limited amount of material released so far is that the game is going to be about stuff like dreams and perception and consciousness (and maybe some kind of experimentation with copying a human mind into a machine host). I think that monitor bit is meant to be like, a live feed of what the robot is seeing right there and maybe the character is starting to question their own perception of the room because of it?

Total wild guesses but I feel like those themes are going to be important in the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The fact that you may be a little bit jaded?

If I suddenly saw myself show up on my computer monitor, then fall out of if seemingly dead, I'd be pretty freaked out then and there.

If I saw the sudden prophetic video of myself turn out to be actually okay and stand up like nothing happened, that would be the point where I was relieved, not the point I run from the room screaming (because I would have already done so by then at seeing myself collapse on camera :shobon:).

I'm not questioning the freak out in general, I'm questioning why it seems the freak out is triggered by the LEAST worrying part.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The impression I've got from the extremely limited amount of material released so far is that the game is going to be about stuff like dreams and perception and consciousness (and maybe some kind of experimentation with copying a human mind into a machine host). I think that monitor bit is meant to be like, a live feed of what the robot is seeing right there and maybe the character is starting to question their own perception of the room because of it?

Total wild guesses but I feel like those themes are going to be important in the game.

I liked most of those little file tidbits. Even if some of them have a healthy dose of "I'm sure it will be fine, why worry about it :downs:" Scrolling down to the camera feed after reading the Surveyor file was fun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Section Z posted:

If I suddenly saw myself show up on my computer monitor, then fall out of if seemingly dead, I'd be pretty freaked out then and there.

If I saw the sudden prophetic video of myself turn out to be actually okay and stand up like nothing happened, that would be the point where I was relieved, not the point I run from the room screaming (because I would have already done so by then at seeing myself collapse on camera :shobon:).

I'm not questioning the freak out in general, I'm questioning why it seems the freak out is triggered by the LEAST worrying part.

I liked most of those little file tidbits are nice. Even if some of them have a healthy dose of "I'm sure it will be fine, why worry about it :downs:"

Sure, but you could just chalk it up to absolute shock with a delayed reaction. Who knows.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Section Z posted:

Scrolling down to the camera feed after reading the Surveyor file was fun.

Did I miss something with this? I'm looking at it but I don't see anything noteworthy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Did I miss something with this? I'm looking at it but I don't see anything noteworthy

You are looking at a camera feed of a big hole in the wall, right after reading "The cameras all stop at walls covering plot gel pipes known to break open from pressure changes."

Hindsight is a bitch when working in spooky facilities.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I maybe didn't like or play it as much as RE2 but it was still really good and I enjoyed it.

Going back to REmake REmastered chat, did anybody here switch straight to full-3D controls and never look back? I used to be a Resident Evil tank control purist but I really like the analog directional movement. It doesn't allow you to use some of the old RE tactics (like backing up to a wall so that you can juke around an enemy when they turn to face you), but being able to go from almost getting bitten to immediately running away is pretty handy.

I switched to tank controls for the boulder running segments and the nitro puzzle at the end of the game, otherwise I stuck with the new controls.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Section Z posted:

The other videos show AIs acting like some of the staff. Or maybe it is their consciousness or whatever. She shook the monitor on the table. It thinks it's her. So if someone picked you up and shook you like a monitor what would that memory be like. So it was maybe imprinting on her, which means crazy possibly murderous AI that you're trapped with all alone in the room with. Etc

Edit: maybe not shaken, rewatched. Dunno now.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 27, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I am Communist posted:

The other videos show AIs acting like some of the staff. Or maybe it is their consciousness or whatever. She shook the monitor on the table. It thinks it's her. So if someone picked you up and shook you like a monitor what would that memory be like. So it was maybe imprinting on her, which means crazy possibly murderous AI that you're trapped with all alone in the room with. Etc

Edit: maybe not shaken, rewatched. Dunno now.

Yeah, the Mockingbird video was really great. It believes it is that crew member, and it was really touchy throughout the conversations.

E: What's really curious is how could it have possibly known what the crew members father said on his death bed.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 27, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/27/perception-horror-irrational-veterans-kickstarter/

I think this looks pretty promising.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For those that were talking about PT a little while ago, this showed up on my twitter feed today: http://boingboing.net/2015/05/27/this-upcoming-horror-game-look.html

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For those that were talking about PT a little while ago, this showed up on my twitter feed today: http://boingboing.net/2015/05/27/this-upcoming-horror-game-look.html

I thought this was the same article I was looking at earlier, but it's not. I swear there are at least three games in development that are all claiming to be the "PT replacement" with suburban hallway settings and a creepy woman with prominent teeth. I'm not sure how to feel about horror game bandwagoning in an attempt to ride PT's coattails.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not really surprising. With Konami's seemingly sudden implosion there's a big obvious void that people were demanding to have filled. There probably would have been PT clones even WITHOUT Silent Hills being cancelled, but that fact just adds fuel to the fire.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It really reminds me of Dark Echo, though I think they might be asking for too much money.

MockingQuantum posted:

I thought this was the same article I was looking at earlier, but it's not. I swear there are at least three games in development that are all claiming to be the "PT replacement" with suburban hallway settings and a creepy woman with prominent teeth. I'm not sure how to feel about horror game bandwagoning in an attempt to ride PT's coattails.
That's the danger of PT; it took what would appear to be on the surface a very simple idea and people think that's the extent of what made it an experience. In reality there's just numerous layers of cryptic puzzles, photo-realistic environments to distort someone's perception on if it's a game, and a combination of subtle and overt horror. It was a very careful planned work and I feel like some game makers will just see it as 'make hallway, repeat hallway, put spooky woman in hallway with jump scares'.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Section Z posted:

The poster was talking about the gameplay trailer, not the teaser.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

I feel like some game makers will just see it as 'make hallway, repeat hallway, put spooky woman in hallway with jump scares'.

The saddest thing is that they won't realize that this has already been perfected: http://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Niggurath posted:

That's the danger of PT; it took what would appear to be on the surface a very simple idea and people think that's the extent of what made it an experience. In reality there's just numerous layers of cryptic puzzles, photo-realistic environments to distort someone's perception on if it's a game, and a combination of subtle and overt horror. It was a very careful planned work and I feel like some game makers will just see it as 'make hallway, repeat hallway, put spooky woman in hallway with jump scares'.

The same thing happened in the wake of Amnesia. Horror games are exceptionally hard to get right, but that doesn't stop anyone from bashing together a dark house in Unity and adding some flickering Poser models. The genre is forever cursed to have one of the lowest technical bars to entry, but one of the highest for success.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Niggurath posted:

I agree, and that's why I'm kind of disappointed. I don't want bland off-white suburban hallways to become the new meatwalls of a generation of horror games. I know it happens in every genre, but it's amazing how frequent it is that an iconic horror game gets made, then four out of every five horror games that follow copy it, but always seem to miss what made the ur-example so drat successful.

Edit: ^^^ Goon above me hit the nail on the head regarding what I was trying to say.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I guess that's something horror games have in common with horror movies now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can we talk about Clock Tower 2/Clock Tower Ghost Head real quick and about how loving stupid that game is

lmao that game's one of the dumbest ps1 horror games I've ever seen

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FirstAidKite posted:

Can we talk about Clock Tower 2/Clock Tower Ghost Head real quick and about how loving stupid that game is

lmao that game's one of the dumbest ps1 horror games I've ever seen
Then let me tell you about Hellnight or possibly Overblood.

I still have no idea how people would want to kickstart something with any association to Clock Tower. A franchise of one good game that then got remade followed up by two absolutely awful games.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The saddest thing is that they won't realize that this has already been perfected: http://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/
I couldn't believe how effective and fun this game was. I've been meaning to play more of it and hope for more spooks.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

FirstAidKite posted:

I didn't realize that that new clock tower spiritual successor was even a thing that was still happening

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Wait, it is actually made from the guy who made the clock tower series?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Then let me tell you about Hellnight or possibly Overblood.

Don't be dissing overblood, that game is pure camp and owns because of it. Pipo rules.

Niggurath posted:

I still have no idea how people would want to kickstart something with any association to Clock Tower. A franchise of one good game that then got remade followed up by two absolutely awful games.

Probably because the kickstarter is by the guy who made the first two clock tower games aka the good ones and then left Human while Human ended up making a lovely 3 game and then selling the rights to Capcom who made the lovely Clock Tower 3.

The first two games (SNES and the first PS1 game) are legit good point & click horror games. It's 2/Ghost Head where it got insanely bad and 2 and 3 are just really bad games but in different ways. Then there's haunting ground but idk poo poo about haunting ground.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Wait, it is actually made from the guy who made the clock tower series?

Yeah, the guy that made the SNES and first PS1 clock tower game is the one making NightCry Project Scissors NotClockTower.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Songbearer posted:

With the first three Silent Hills (Though less so in the third) the characters have a subdued, dreamlike approach to the weirdness going on around them rather than a panicky OH poo poo OH gently caress LOOK AT THAAAAT which is like the equivalent of a 3D movie making things fly at the audience for no reason

Why do you stop at the first three silent hills? Did you not play 4? Henry is perhaps the epitome of the "subdued dreamlike" Silent Hill protagonist. Dude gives perhaps the bare minimum of a gently caress to what's happening.

I'm playing Downpour for the first time and it really kills the mood when Murphy yells "OH gently caress!" to every monster.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of every horror game aping the look of the most recent big release, here's one that missed that particular memo: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/back_in_1995/b/pc/archive/2015/04/17/polygon-like-it-s-1995-in-new-ps1-style-survival-horror-game.aspx

I'm legitimately more interested in this game than it warrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

Why do you stop at the first three silent hills? Did you not play 4? Henry is perhaps the epitome of the "subdued dreamlike" Silent Hill protagonist. Dude gives perhaps the bare minimum of a gently caress to what's happening.

I'm playing Downpour for the first time and it really kills the mood when Murphy yells "OH gently caress!" to every monster.

It seems like opinions on 4 are pretty mixed, but I think it still fits in with the "classic" Silent Hills better than the ones that came after it.

I think the main thing that bugs people is the story being fairly different from the previous games - it's much more of a traditional ghost story than the kind of weird psychological stuff the previous games did, with an obvious antagonist that's responsible for all the weird poo poo happening. There's less of a "WTF just happened?" feeling after you finish it.