Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

jaete posted:

There's a guy imprisoned somewhere in early Velen, when you free him he says to come back to $village_name for a free shave and haircut. Where's this village though?

There are villages all over the place, but don't sweat it he wouldn't be there anyway. It takes captives a weirdly long time to get back to their villages.

I rescued a swordsmith right before I went to Novigrad the first time and didn't find him until like 20 hours later in some tiny village I'd overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

el oso posted:

Pam pa rammm. Pam pam pa raaammmm.

I lose it every time I hear this.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
for anyone who has done it: Will leaving for Skellige fail some of your open quests or is it ok to do whenever?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spiky Ooze posted:

for anyone who has done it: Will leaving for Skellige fail some of your open quests or is it ok to do whenever?

It won't fail anything, once you sailed for skellige you can fast travel with signposts like with the rest of the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meowbot posted:

I started playing and got like the first 10 quests and got overwhelmed and quit playing because extreme panic set in... it never gets better does it
What overwhelmed you? What were you panicking about?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

theDOWmustflow posted:

poo poo, I've run into a game breaking bug. Bug occurs during the quest to find Hjalmar. When I approach the sleeping Ice Giant, the appropriate cutscene plays and ends. When it ends, I get stuck in an infinite loading screen loop. 30 seconds into the loop the "You have died" screen abruptly appears. There is no way for me to escape the loop. In the end I decided to just leave the cave and do other quests, but everytime a cutscene for a different quest is supposed to start, the ice troll cinematic plays instead and I'm back in the loop.

Shiiiiiet. Has anyone else run into this? I'm playing on PC.

I found hjalmar before getting the quest for him, he invited me to come kill the giant. I decided that it was probably part of a quest and left, since it didn't give me quest markers or anything and I wanted those. I played for another 30 minutes doing whatever random stuff when all of a sudden the ice troll cinematic plays and I'm back on skellige fighting some trolls. I went ahead and reloaded that one, but it was pretty funny.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Haircuts cost 10 crowns anyway, why bother tracking that guy down

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RangerScum posted:

Not that I saw.

Bookstore in Novigrad has a letter from him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What exactly does it mean for a beast to be weak to Quen?

I wish notes and books didnt stock on the same tab as potions and bombs, the inventory really needs some cleaning up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Haircuts cost 10 crowns anyway, why bother tracking that guy down

It is sort of funny how kinda wonky the economy is. Early on they treat hundreds of crowns like it's a big deal plot-wise but you have SO MUCH MONEY that it doesn't matter. It was funny seeing Geralt going "what?! That's ridiculous, I could buy a horse and carriage and lie my way in for that much" and it's like $100.

Also makes him look like a dick when he hassles a peasant over 5 crowns.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
For those interested: What happens if you let Trollolo draw the redanian coat of arms: http://imgur.com/pdWImLc

He's unhappy because he thinks it's ugly and that you're just trying to be kind by calling it pretty good.

In unrelated news, Aard with six points invested in its first two tiers and a fully-linked Greater Blue Mutagen is pretty hilarious for group fights. You can bowl over the whole group, casually walk up and stab a dude while he's down and then cut up another before they can get back up. :haw:

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh poo poo, heh.

On the Iorveth/Save Saskia path, you get to eavesdrop on him gleefully ordering and watching as Philippas eyes are gouged out. It's a pretty loving :stonk: scene even though you have every reason to be angry as all gently caress at Philippa at the time.

Fat Samurai posted:

So there is a quest that leads you to "Ghosts of the Past". I stumbled upon it by accident and thought the devs had decided to go "Hey, you! Surprise Letho!.

That quest is there even if Letho's dead. In that case there's no boobytraps, just a whole bunch of Wraiths you need to exterminate. Also, search the whole place in detail, including the barn cellar, to find out the whole truth.

Honest Thief posted:

Normally means that it hits really hard, but attacks slowly. In which case Quen gets really drat good because it will block most to all damage from an attack even if overmatched.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
The base bear armor is the best looking armor set in the whole game, I really don't want to have to upgrade it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of funny how kinda wonky the economy is. Early on they treat hundreds of crowns like it's a big deal plot-wise but you have SO MUCH MONEY that it doesn't matter. It was funny seeing Geralt going "what?! That's ridiculous, I could buy a horse and carriage and lie my way in for that much" and it's like $100.

Also makes him look like a dick when he hassles a peasant over 5 crowns.

Your reward is pooled together from the entire village when you do contracts. When you're just doing something for one peasant, you get like 5-10 crowns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

I wish notes and books didnt stock on the same tab as potions and bombs, the inventory really needs some cleaning up

Sometimes "weak to" doesn't mean that a given sign will be mechanically more effective. For example, weak to Quen might just mean that the enemy's attacks are slow but powerful, so that absorbing even a single hit can make a big difference. Weak to Yrden might mean that the enemy is just very quick and Yrden will dial that down to a speed that's easier to handle, and so on and so on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Your reward is pooled together from the entire village when you do contracts. When you're just doing something for one peasant, you get like 5-10 crowns.

Oh, I know. But like I had a quest where the guy didn't have enough money afterwards and my choices were "Pay up NOW" or "I'll be back in week, you better get farming REAL HARD so you can pay back with interest" and it was a really small amount of cash and I was sitting on near 9000 crowns. It's just amusing.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I know. But like I had a quest where the guy didn't have enough money afterwards and my choices were "Pay up NOW" or "I'll be back in week, you better get farming REAL HARD so you can pay back with interest" and it was a really small amount of cash and I was sitting on near 9000 crowns. It's just amusing.

That guy actually comes through if you give him the week to pay back, I ended up getting like 450 crowns from him. Peat harvesting is pretty lucrative.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I can see why people don't like the Griffin armor's visual style, but I love that poo poo. Looks like some Jedi armor made on a budget.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I can see why people don't like the Griffin armor's visual style, but I love that poo poo. Looks like some Jedi armor made on a budget.

I think it's just the padded gut of the armor. If it was contoured like the other ones I think it's right up there in looks. No one wants to play dad-gut Geralt.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw in case you feel like sperging the gently caress out, the money people will give for a contract seems to be random so if you reload they will have a different minimum and maximum amount available for haggling. So if a peasant is being a shitlord and saying 210 crowns is too pricey you can reload and he might think 340 is a sweet deal.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Btw in case you feel like sperging the gently caress out, the money people will give for a contract seems to be random so if you reload they will have a different minimum and maximum amount available for haggling. So if a peasant is being a shitlord and saying 210 crowns is too pricey you can reload and he might think 340 is a sweet deal.

You'd think Axii would come into play with haggling...but then again, that'd probably be too easy.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why do people sometimes randomly start screaming and running away from me when I haven't done a drat thing?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Ok, what are you guys doing with money? I'm up to like 17k now, stopped looting altogether and I have never haggled.

Verranicus posted:

Why do people sometimes randomly start screaming and running away from me when I haven't done a drat thing?

Bandit in the area.

What gets me is that I would kill the bandits attack the guards in Novigrad and as soon as they're dead the guards would turn to me and tell me I'm causing trouble. Such is the troubles of the racist north, I bet it wouldn't be like this under Nilfgaard.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Verranicus posted:

Hostiles are nearby.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I downloaded the two new DLCs on GOG Galaxy but they're not showing up under Available Content. I'm not to Skellige yet; do I have to get there before they'll show up?

edit: whoops nvm, never actually installed them.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

OAquinas posted:

I think it's just the padded gut of the armor. If it was contoured like the other ones I think it's right up there in looks. No one wants to play dad-gutbod Geralt.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There's no way to use potions from the inventory, right? Has to be quickslot?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sankis posted:

You can use potions from the inventory. On PS4 you hit square, so presumably it'd be X on an Xbox controller. Dunno about PC but it should tell you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sankis posted:

I don't know what it is on the PC but on the PS4 you just highlight it and press square.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Think it's E on PC, same deal. Click it first and it should show [E] Use as an option.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TastySauce posted:

Can you comment on the performance fixes in 1.03? I feel like if this game could keep a solid 30fps on PS4 I'd be so much happier. I have a decent PC, but I'm too far on the PS4 to restart now.

Where are you seeing any slowdowns? This game seems to run as fast as any other PS4 game I have. I have yet to see it hitch or skip frames or anything. It just plays so smooth for me.

Maybe I'm getting old and can't tell anymore.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
how many skill points should I expect to accumulate over the course of the game? i'd like to spec heavily into sword, but was wondering how deep I could dive into signs for utility purposes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Alright goons, here is 1 weird trick to save you from about 6 hours of the worst wind-waker clone ever. Literally zero, zilch, none of the open water undiscovered points in Skellige are worth visiting. Every single one of them is a siren/drowner infested smuggler cache. I.e. a useless box full of garbage. Basically is the ? isn't within spitting distance of the coast it's not worth doing. And 95% of the time those aren't worth doing either since they will either be more smuggler's caches :wtc: or spoils of war (more useless chests). The only one that is must have is A singular point of power located just NE of Rannvaig.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Philthy posted:

Where are you seeing any slowdowns? This game seems to run as fast as any other PS4 game I have. I have yet to see it hitch or skip frames or anything. It just plays so smooth for me.

Maybe I'm getting old and can't tell anymore.

I've been using the suspend feature so the game hasn't closed in almost a week for me, and I've just now started to see some weird slowdown stuff. Closing it out completely seemed to fix any problem for me.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Finished it - it's been an epic journey, start to finish. Hats off to you, CD Projekt, what you've done is magic.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

For those who have finished the game, does Alvin ever get mentioned again, or brought up at all?

No, because you kill him in The Witcher 1. Hes a Source, just like Ciri. He can teleport between space/time etc. He teleports into the past and then becomes the Grand Master of the Order of the Flaming Rose. Then you murder him and his retarded Rose thats on fire for some reason. Mostly cause hes a dick when he grows up.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jesus Christ, the final part of the main quest in Skellige (I think?) is pretty loving harrowing with Yen reanimating that poor guy and torturing his corpse into giving her and Geralt information.

They really nailed the distressing nature of that scene. My reaction was just :dogbutton: throughout that mess.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Please keep posting complaints about the game, goons. I derive great enjoyment from people who are clearly being forced to engage with something that is atrocious because it's not realistic enough/too realistic/graphically unacceptable/won't run on PC/has bad combat/changed things from previous games. The really passionate posts about inventory management or movement are my favorite. My heart goes out to you, slaves to the system, joylessly pressing buttons and feeling your blood pressure rise as Geralt fails to meet your standards.

You derive "great enjoyment" from creating elaborate mental scenarios that inflate the annoyances of anonymous strangers into stroke-causing anger and do it in the bitchiest, most passive-aggresive way possible. Go get some counseling.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Archimago posted:

I am currently Level 18 and it is 1500 XP to get to Level 19. I'd suspect they'd just change that as opposed to changing XP payouts for all quests, but I could be wrong. So if someone else is Level 18 and wants to compare we can check that way.

If anyone can clarify this it'd be baller. I really want to just man up and push on with my Death March campaign but if the experience penalty is really that great then I'll probably just forfeit the trophy. I don't think slowing the level gain down is a very interesting way of increasing challenge.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Jesus Christ, the final part of the main quest in Skellige (I think?) is pretty loving harrowing with Yen reanimating that poor guy and torturing his corpse into giving her and Geralt information.

They really nailed the distressing nature of that scene. My reaction was just :dogbutton: throughout that mess.

That scene made me hate yen with a god damned passion. "Its just a corpse. ANSWER!" "AAAAUUGGH... IT HURTS..." I mean... Poor kid suffered the greatest form of shame known to his people, died trying to restore his honor, and then Yen loving tortures him.

I wanted to punch her in the face. I really hate Yen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That new DLC quest about the miners you can pick up from Blandare, the village almost due west of the druid camp on Aard Skellige