Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wish those systems would remember what part of the normal cycle the lights were on before being overridden. It's bad enough having to wait through the override on a long cycle at a busy intersection, but it really sucks when you don't get your normal green on schedule after it's done (I suppose this is because pedestrian traffic is blocked in all directions when the light is overridden).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Had the strangest day on Friday. I was driving east on I-20 out of Dallas TX, and traffic was heavy for the start of the 3 day weekend. However, whenever I put on my blinker to move to the left lane and pass a slow RV (and there were many, see 3 day weekend) the cars would slow down to give me space and even flicked their lights to acknowledge that they saw the blinker on the big truck. Best day of driving I've had in ages.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress all campers/caravans/RVs. Ram the cunts off the road, IMO.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CannonFodder posted:

Had the strangest day on Friday. I was driving east on I-20 out of Dallas TX, and traffic was heavy for the start of the 3 day weekend. However, whenever I put on my blinker to move to the left lane and pass a slow RV (and there were many, see 3 day weekend) the cars would slow down to give me space and even flicked their lights to acknowledge that they saw the blinker on the big truck. Best day of driving I've had in ages.

they'll average it out some how

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The only difference between a typical RV pilot and Class B CDL driver is that the CDL driver can take 54+ people down with him

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

God dammit. The interstate construction lane merging idiocy reached a new low this morning. They were working on an overpass, the construction zone/lane restriction was literally SLIGHTLY wider than the overpass itself, like a tenth of a mile at most. Traffic was backed up beyond the "left lane closed 3 miles ahead" sign. Me and some other people tried to stay in the left lane until we could at least SEE the merge point but nope, guy in a Wal-Mart semi decides he is lane police and blocks us all. Another semi a few cars back starts doing the same thing. So we all crawl along, stop and go for the next 3 miles, pass the actual lane closure/construction in the blink of an eye and then traffic is moving again. The bulk of the traffic problems were from everyone merging miles too early and then getting nervous when they see semis ahead blocking the lanes off, so merging even earlier.

I'm sure it sucks to drive a semi and not be able to merge easily but what is the goal of blocking everyone else from driving nearer the merge point? I want to be able to do something about these semis that block off both lanes like that but I dunno what. I guess I could call their "how am I driving" number, how seriously are complaints like that taken?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

beejay posted:

God dammit. The interstate construction lane merging idiocy reached a new low this morning. They were working on an overpass, the construction zone/lane restriction was literally SLIGHTLY wider than the overpass itself, like a tenth of a mile at most. Traffic was backed up beyond the "left lane closed 3 miles ahead" sign. Me and some other people tried to stay in the left lane until we could at least SEE the merge point but nope, guy in a Wal-Mart semi decides he is lane police and blocks us all. Another semi a few cars back starts doing the same thing. So we all crawl along, stop and go for the next 3 miles, pass the actual lane closure/construction in the blink of an eye and then traffic is moving again. The bulk of the traffic problems were from everyone merging miles too early and then getting nervous when they see semis ahead blocking the lanes off, so merging even earlier.

I'm sure it sucks to drive a semi and not be able to merge easily but what is the goal of blocking everyone else from driving nearer the merge point? I want to be able to do something about these semis that block off both lanes like that but I dunno what. I guess I could call their "how am I driving" number, how seriously are complaints like that taken?

"I'm stuck in traffic, therefor you will be stuck in traffic."

I say call the number. Worst case scenario, they laugh you off the phone. Best case, they tell the driver to knock that poo poo off.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I say call the number. Worst case scenario, they laugh you off the phone. Best case, they tell the driver to knock that poo poo off.

Friend of mine had one of those stickers on the back of his truck. The number was 1 digit short.

I can imagine the frustration of anyone who tried to call in about him, just getting the "This number is not recognized" message when they call up.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"I'm stuck in traffic, therefor you will be stuck in traffic."

They'll laugh at you and tell you to fuckin' merge early at the office.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InterceptorV8 posted:

They'll laugh at you and tell you to fuckin' merge early at the office.

Oh wait, he said Wal-Mart truck. Yeah, forget the number.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

beejay posted:

Just hang out behind them in the soon to be closed lane and let their blood pressure shoot sky high. Ride the left line for maximum visibility. Hold eye contact with the driver in the right lane to assert dominance.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh wait, he said Wal-Mart truck. Yeah, forget the number.

Most likely a CR England truck pulling a Walmart trailer.

Walmart outsourcing everything now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Just hang out behind them in the soon to be closed lane and let their blood pressure shoot sky high. Ride the left line for maximum visibility. Hold eye contact with the driver in the right lane to assert dominance.

No no no, you break out your webber and start the BBQ while driving your RV down the middle of the two lane with your blinker on for the last 200 miles.

What really cracks me up about all of this poo poo is how many times in a day I pass the same loving rear end in a top hat driving like an rear end in a top hat. It's like they are speeding 20 over, cutting people off to get to the next gas station to buy another monster or something.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's hilarious is that people driving trucks in an online game drive better.

You can watch a server streaming here: http://kat.pw/

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

What really cracks me up about all of this poo poo is how many times in a day I pass the same loving rear end in a top hat driving like an rear end in a top hat. It's like they are speeding 20 over, cutting people off to get to the next gas station to buy another monster or something.

This is my life.

They can't possibly be stuck behind a slow van, they must overtake it! Five miles up the road, they drop to 57 (in a 70) so they're marginally faster than the trucks, but i have to overtake doing 62. Rinse and repeat.

Driving back from Spain last year, driving though Madrid i got passed (at speed) by a black BMW 5-Series wagon. Somehow it kept going past me. Even after stopping for sleep for a few hours, the following day it passed me, a few times. Some 950+ miles after it went passed me in Madrid it was about 3 cars ahead of me on the train back from France.

Dude driving had his wife and 2 young kids with him. He looked like he was going to spontaneously combust.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you ever considered that black BMW 5-Series wagons are just really popular in Spain (all owned by swarthy looking men with a wife and two kids)?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

totalnewbie posted:

Have you ever considered that black BMW 5-Series wagons are just really popular in Spain (all owned by swarthy looking men with a wife and two kids)?

It was on GB plates and i recognised it as being the same car. Also from Madrid to Calais there's only really one route. There is another but it's longer and pointless.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Just Wrangler Things.jpg

(this is where they drive it to a shop, the shop service manager writes it up as remove/replace belly pan for half an hour, and some poor bastard like 14" gets to dick around with drilling hardened bolts out of a crusty frame for several hours, then retapping and reinstalling. Assuming, that is, that the weldnuts aren't broken loose inside the frame and/or haven't taken chunks of the frame with them, which is likely what lead to this "repair".)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Those pans are rust magnets in dry climates, I'd hate to have a Wrangler in the rust belt.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

On July 1st Indiana turns Fuchsia. :toot:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love "if moving faster than traffic".

"Well why should I move over, the cars behind me are going the exact same speed I am! :downs:"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I saw like 5 different cases of 'car in left lane, car behind it right on it's rear end' on monday. It happened all over town.

Also, the gently caress was I getting tailgated in the right lane for? I was even going 10 over.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was driving the limit (70) in lane 3 of a 4 lane interstate, that is the second lane from the cast lane, and a white expedition cut me off doing probably 50mph, so I had to swerve hard into the suprisingly empty left lane and I maintained speed because I was going the limit. About 10 seconds later I noticed the SUV was accelerating faster than I had seen any vehicle accelerate before, my first reaction was that it was going to be someone with serious road rage. About this time I saw the speed limit decrease to 60mph, there was a truck in front of me and I didn't want to block the left lane for the road rage maniac to get even more pissed off and pull a gun or something, so I braked to 60. As I was braking, the SUV was inches off my bumper when suddenly the SUV lite up, it was an unmarked police cruiser. What kind of sick bastard goes around in the unmarked vehicle of authority cutting people off, tailgating, and trying to trap people for speeding right where the speed limit changes?? The flashing lights stopped almost immediately after they came on and the cop pulled up beside me and sat beside me for about a mile. All I want to do is drive the speed limit (which is slow in comparison to most of the other drivers) without getting raged on police.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 27, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He was probably not paying attention, got pissed off at someone blazing past him, then decided to abuse his authority and put the fear of god into you. I'm sure he was all smug about it after that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Warning, brand new C7 Vette's can cost you $20k per day in repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqtl7fXDKu4

http://www.carthrottle.com/post/inexperienced-c7-corvette-z06-driver-crashes-his-pride-and-joy-into-a-tree/

quote:

The car had been off the lot for about 24 hours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, I wouldn't have thought of what happens when the launch control finishes its job either.

But I probably would have read the manual and done my first test somewhere that had runoff and wasn't lined with trees.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Had some rear end in a top hat in an early 2000s Malibu playing left lane hog (sitting there going 5 under the limit until I'd try to pass, accelerate to keep me out and then settle back in) yesterday get six shades of pissed when I finally managed to pass him follow me for a good three miles. Once it became obvious he was following I made a bee line for an exit with a highway patrol station at it.

Pulls up next to me on the shoulder at the top of the ramp and starts going off with the usual "let's pull over and settle this like men" bullshit. I tell him "OK, follow me across the street rear end in a top hat." He proceeded to follow me into the approach of the highway patrol station until he realized where I was going, then slammed on his brakes, reversed back out into the street and took off back to the highway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yesterday, I was caught at a long jam behind a light. There is a railroad crossing a bit after the light.
I was unsure that I could safely pull in front of the tracks and let the train clear me. This enrages the rear end in a top hat behind me and she starts blowing her horn like mad. Eventually, she passes me on the right in the bike lane and stops with her rear end on the track.
Never, until that moment, have I ever wanted someone to be hit by a train.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I still hate the loving quad trumpet exhausts on these.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The car's original assignment was to lay in wait for Das Volk.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLf-VqQdQ3I
Speaking of retards. This guy is infuriating. According to the description he took the car from the dealership he works at. Totalled another car a couple of weeks later.

Crash is at 12.40.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am still going to drive in the left lane as slow as poo poo to piss off all of you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elephanthead posted:

I am still going to drive in the left lane as slow as poo poo to piss off all of you.

:getout:

I think my favorite "followed by some wanker" incident was when I still had my old 96 XJ. 4" lift, 33" tires, beat to hell, splattered with mud. I was at the light right off i290 exit 9 in Auburn, having just gotten a red light, when the engine stalled as I came to a stop. I was pretty sure I had a grounding issue due to the really weird behavior of a few things (HVAC blower, transmission controller, and 4wd indicator lamp to name a few, these all share one ground screw on that era XJ.) So I pop the hood, get out with a nutdriver I fortunately happened to have in the center console, and just as I'm popping the hood the guy behind me absolutely loses his poo poo. Honking, yelling, flipping me off, etc. So I ignored him, tightened the self tapper holding the ground wires to the inner fender down (the tire had contacted the inner fender and knocked it loose as I suspected) closed the hood, got back in, started it back up, the light went green, I flipped him off and drove away. Didn't even slow the guy down, what the gently caress is his problem?

I figured that was the end of it, but a few blocks later I realized he was still following me, so I took a few random turns through a residential area. Idiot followed me through every single one. Turned the dome light on, looked over my shoulder at him, reached in the back seat and grabbed the 3 foot crowbar I'd just bought, put it in the passenger seat, turned the dome light on, and kept driving... he didn't follow me through the next turn for some odd reason.

Was this a dumb escalation? I'm sure someone here will think so. Do I give a gently caress? No, it worked, if he'd kept following me I would have called the cops on my cellphone and driven to the police station, I don't feel like going to jail or getting shot by some idiot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MrOnBicycle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLf-VqQdQ3I
Speaking of retards. This guy is infuriating. According to the description he took the car from the dealership he works at. Totalled another car a couple of weeks later.

Crash is at 12.40.

While that guy drove like poo poo, why were they following him? Is it possible he wouldn't have been driving like such a dickbag if they weren't tailing him?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

:getout:

I think my favorite "followed by some wanker" incident was when I still had my old 96 XJ. 4" lift, 33" tires, beat to hell, splattered with mud. I was at the light right off i290 exit 9 in Auburn, having just gotten a red light, when the engine stalled as I came to a stop. I was pretty sure I had a grounding issue due to the really weird behavior of a few things (HVAC blower, transmission controller, and 4wd indicator lamp to name a few, these all share one ground screw on that era XJ.) So I pop the hood, get out with a nutdriver I fortunately happened to have in the center console, and just as I'm popping the hood the guy behind me absolutely loses his poo poo. Honking, yelling, flipping me off, etc. So I ignored him, tightened the self tapper holding the ground wires to the inner fender down (the tire had contacted the inner fender and knocked it loose as I suspected) closed the hood, got back in, started it back up, the light went green, I flipped him off and drove away. Didn't even slow the guy down, what the gently caress is his problem?

I figured that was the end of it, but a few blocks later I realized he was still following me, so I took a few random turns through a residential area. Idiot followed me through every single one. Turned the dome light on, looked over my shoulder at him, reached in the back seat and grabbed the 3 foot crowbar I'd just bought, put it in the passenger seat, turned the dome light on, and kept driving... he didn't follow me through the next turn for some odd reason.

Was this a dumb escalation? I'm sure someone here will think so. Do I give a gently caress? No, it worked, if he'd kept following me I would have called the cops on my cellphone and driven to the police station, I don't feel like going to jail or getting shot by some idiot.

Sounds to me like you were just securing some potentially dangerous loose cargo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

AFewBricksShy posted:

While that guy drove like poo poo, why were they following him? Is it possible he wouldn't have been driving like such a dickbag if they weren't tailing him?

They mention that they are a chase car and know the guy, I think.

He probably told them to follow him and see him show off his master driving skills.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrOnBicycle posted:

He probably told them to follow him and see him show off his master driving skills give him a ride back when he wrecks the Corvette.

Yeah, it sure seems like they know him.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MrOnBicycle posted:

He probably told them to follow him and see him show off his master driving skills.

Yea, thats from one of the old Mischief videos from ~2003 I think? Basically a bunch of assholes driving around in fast cars filming their shenanigans. 17 year old me loved watching them.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

He was probably not paying attention, got pissed off at someone blazing past him, then decided to abuse his authority and put the fear of god into you. I'm sure he was all smug about it after that.

I would've given him the finger. I'll take that ticket Officer...I have a dashcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Negromancer posted:

Yea, thats from one of the old Mischief videos from ~2003 I think? Basically a bunch of assholes driving around in fast cars filming their shenanigans. 17 year old me loved watching them.

What was the name of that video back then with the Porsche in Oslo I think that gets pulled over by the police at like 3am, then runs off into the city and all around through red lights and ends up pulling in front of a house?

ninja edit: it was Getaway in Stockholm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3Zjcngj74