Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yes. I use the keyboard all the time. If it needs to be spun-off into its own app that's fine, just don't kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I rarely use the smiley keyboard at all outside the app. Likely wouldn't even notice it was gone.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The keyboard is too unwieldy for me. Unless I go through in advance to favorite the ones I use most often, it takes to long to actually find the ones I want to use. Having a way to filter them would make it more useful to me (since I usually know which one I want to use, just not the exact bbcode needed for showing it) but that's kinda hard to do when it's a keyboard. That's why I have it as a filterable list in my apps, since I think it makes more sense to show it that way.

But that's me.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Wait there's a smile keyboards?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It'd be nice to be able to favorite a smiley from someone else's post.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just make a smiley keyboard for the ones that don't suck, TIA.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I ended up using the smilies in texts more than I do in SA, so I'd be glad if there was a spinoff app.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

What am I, an literal retard, doing wrong that I can only see the smilies keyboard in this app and can't use it system wide?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

reformed bad troll posted:

an literal retard

Confirmed.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks to this tread I enabled the third party keyboard in general iOS... I guess I missed that before. So if someone else has this keyboard installed are they supposed to be able to see the emote or will it be the colon emote name colon? All that happens when I press it in iMessage is "copied <emoteshortcut>"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Keyboards can't actually insert images, they can only put them on the clipboard. Then you tap the text field and tap Paste.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried that but I keep getting Silicon Valley quotes I texted last night :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Did you allow Full Access? I think you need to in order for it to access the clipboard.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
First issue I noticed with the beta, which may not be related to beta at all, the red 1 badge on the messages tab won't go away, and I'm pretty sure I only have one new pm, the response from pokeyman about my invitation, and I already read it in the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
So the impression I'm getting is that if I remove the extension from Awful proper, it's probably worth putting it into a separate app.

I'm also getting the impression that there's a ton of room for improvement on the keyboard :)

Soricidus posted:

It'd be nice to be able to favorite a smiley from someone else's post.

Holy poo poo yes.

kode54 posted:

First issue I noticed with the beta, which may not be related to beta at all, the red 1 badge on the messages tab won't go away, and I'm pretty sure I only have one new pm, the response from pokeyman about my invitation, and I already read it in the app.

It'll go away eventually. I really gotta redo that poo poo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
E: wrong thread.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have also noticed the unread message badge hanging around for ages after reading the message

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pokeyman posted:

So the impression I'm getting is that if I remove the extension from Awful proper, it's probably worth putting it into a separate app.

:glomp::hfive::monar::neckbeard::sax:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

I have also noticed the unread message badge hanging around for ages after reading the message

Yeah it's a longstanding thing. There's a periodic check for new messages (like every 15min), and there's your list of messages on the PM tab, and the two (stupidly) don't talk. It's on the list.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Any fun rejection notices from Apple lately?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I learned today that the smilie keyboard actually works sending to other people. That's good to know.

In other news, the spacing on the unread post count is kind of janky in the beta:

Oh, and unless I missed the "fixed it " post, the issue where switching back and forth with the keyboard out in dark mode switching back to light is still there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaethela posted:

Any fun rejection notices from Apple lately?

Nope. I think we hit the jackpot last time around though, everything else must be a letdown.

Mo0 posted:

I learned today that the smilie keyboard actually works sending to other people. That's good to know.

In other news, the spacing on the unread post count is kind of janky in the beta:

Oh, and unless I missed the "fixed it " post, the issue where switching back and forth with the keyboard out in dark mode switching back to light is still there.

Woah I dunno what's going on there with the unread counts. As for that keyboard, it looks kinda cool, in a lovely way.

I'll make sure they're both on the list.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just downloaded this app and really like it so far. I have a question about he number of threads listed in subforums. It seems to me to only show the most recent 40 threads. Is there a way to view older threads than those first 40? Excuse me if I have missed a simple control option here or something.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Keep on scrollin', brotha.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Ah, it is working properly now. On one subforum I was browsing it was not loading any further, so I pulled down to force a refresh and then it started loading more threads.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

jtm33 posted:

Ah, it is working properly now. On one subforum I was browsing it was not loading any further, so I pulled down to force a refresh and then it started loading more threads.

It's a known bug Pokeyman has been working on. If you get stuck, refreshing will solve it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vegastar posted:

It's a known bug Pokeyman has been working on. If you get stuck, refreshing will solve it.

I actually took a look at this bug a little while ago, and while it's pretty straight-forward to "fix" technically, it's actually a tricky issue conceptually.

If I'm remembering right, essentially the code that enables the ability to load new pages isn't called until the first page is refreshed. This can pretty easily be changed so that it's always enabled, but that could cause other issues.

If the first page isn't up to date when you load the second page, you could potentially end up with some threads being duplicated and others just missing completely if they've moved in the time since the first page was loaded. I guess you could have it also refresh the first page when the second is loaded, but that seems like it could be a weird experience in practice. My solution was just to forget about it and wait for Pokeyman to fix it. :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I hope Apple approve the newest version soon. Having to quit and relaunch the app whenever I want to have a picture and a quote in the same post is really annoying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I hope Apple approve the newest version soon. Having to quit and relaunch the app whenever I want to have a picture and a quote in the same post is really annoying.

You can have a picture?!

Luuuuuucky....

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep figuring out the right thing to do for pages of threads is on the list. Diabolik900 is right on the money.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

It is currently "In Review".

(I've seen apps sit in this state for anywhere from two minutes to two weeks, so this means not a whole lot, but I thought I'd keep y'all updated.)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update just hit the U.S. App Store.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Update is out!!!!

Testing

Edit: welp can't add another photo during edit

Edit2: yup still have to force quit/restart the app

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 3, 2015

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Test 1

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Test 2

...Nope, still broken

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is the broken menu

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Testing as well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the Format menu is broken for me in latest beta too. Wish I could work on Awful offline, I have 5 hours on a plane tomorrow.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo

Edit: Hell yeah, my pet feature got in

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Two issues I've bumped into, forums don't seem to automatically refresh upon opening them and tapping on Last Post takes you to the last page but not the last post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've run into the forums not updating automatically as well. I tried to force quit the app and see if that fixed it but it didn't. A manual pull to refresh works.

• Locked thread