Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Harime Nui posted:

"Mutation" in X-Men parlance isn't created by natural selection, it's an extra gene literally grafted into the human DNA strand by ancient alien fuckery in order to turn humans into a race of Space Gods. It started to activate more frequently in the 20th century due to something something radiation/Atomic Age.

e: Or at least that's how it worked when I read comics! :corsair:
Nah, that's some Earth X poo poo that only applies to that universe and any forking off it. 616 mutants are just supposed to be the further evolution of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Chill Penguin posted:

On a different note: What's worth catching up on from the post-Schism/Marvel NOW! stuff? I've read the first dozen or so issues of Bendis' stuff, as well as All-New X-Factor, Magneto, X-Men, and maybe an issue or two of the various X-Force comics. I know Legacy is dope, as well as Uncanny Avengers, but those are pretty separate from the current continuity leading up to Secret Wars, right?

Anybody?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine and the X-Men, first volume. The second one is apparently not very good.

Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Oh yeah I've read Aaron's complete run of WATXM, good stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chill Penguin posted:

Oh yeah I've read Aaron's complete run of WATXM, good stuff.

Have you read X-Club?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Harime Nui posted:

Why do people want there to be "drawbacks" to mutation? What's the point in mutants being killed by their own powers other than "ha ha the racist humans are right, get ownt muties"

Isn't the point of X-Men that, in the future, everyone is going to have a unique mutation, everybody's gonna be a superhero, and actually this is wonderful and awesome?

The concept of Xavier's school wasn't as a superhero academy: it was to gather mutants, teach them control of their powers and help them adapt to their new reality. X-Factor was the same deal with "mutant hunters" as the cover. Many major Silver Age X-Men had powers that were either wonky or made it difficult for them to pass as human: Cyke's eyebeams, Angel's wings, Jean's telepathy that required suppression for some time, Rogue's inability to be touched, Nightcrawler's demonic form, Havok's control issues, Beast's pre-serum simian body to an extent. Even then, they could slip on some ruby quartz glasses or wing straps and go down to the local McDonald's without causing a major commotion. (Nightcrawler did so briefly via image inducer until he decided to give it up.)

The Morrison era and beyond were important for introducing a vast cast of young mutants who can't just put on some straps or glasses and look human, arguably making that the new norm. Even many who are completely comfortable with their powers (Rockslide as the poster child) require specialized training and coping techniques.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What ever happened to Beak? I figured he died on M day.

Man mutants are going to be pissed at Wanda all over again when they find out she wasn't a mutant after all. Just another human trying to exterminate the Mutant race, no better than Stryker, Red Skull or anyone involved with Sentinels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He lost his powers which made him look normal again, then was in the depowered mutants version of New Warriors.

The last thing Marvel's database has him in was in 2011.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

redbackground posted:

Have you read X-Club?

Yeah, but I wasn't really into the whole "SCIENCE!" as a verb/exclamation vibe, however Spurrier's more recent stuff has all been pretty cool that I've read.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Dacap posted:

Uncanny # 600, Bendis' last issue was supposed to come out this month. Now it's been pushed back to OCTOBER

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/18/uncanny-x-men-600-slips-5-months-from-may-to-october/

I think it's hilarious they expect us to believe Brilliant #6 and Scarlet #8 are ever coming out. I'll pick them up the day Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target #2 comes out.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

I think it's hilarious they expect us to believe Brilliant #6 and Scarlet #8 are ever coming out. I'll pick them up the day Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target #2 comes out.

That's the same day Hawkeye #22 comes out, right? :buddy:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

That's the same day Hawkeye #22 comes out, right? :buddy:

The delays on Hawkeye #22 don't even come close to the other 3...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Whatever happened to X-Corp? That doesn't get mentioned when people talk about Marvel cocking up Morrison's New X-Men.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

Whatever happened to X-Corp? That doesn't get mentioned when people talk about Marvel cocking up Morrison's New X-Men.

Blew up after M-day. Literally.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Scarlet Witch posted:

"No more mutants."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
marvel mutants are terrifying

oh look this teenager gained the ability to blow up buildings with his hands. Oh and this guy can read and alter your mind :catstare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

He lost his powers which made him look normal again, then was in the depowered mutants version of New Warriors.

The last thing Marvel's database has him in was in 2011.

Depowered Beak was inexplicably super buff and hot in New Warriors. It was a bad comic.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lurdiak posted:

Depowered Beak was inexplicably super buff and hot in New Warriors. It was a bad comic.

Yeah, when M-Day initially depowered him he just kinda looked like DJ Qualls.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zzulu posted:

marvel mutants are terrifying

oh look this teenager gained the ability to blow up buildings with his hands. Oh and this guy can read and alter your mind :catstare:

Look at this flatline scum.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

He looked more like you'd expect in Vengeance, which never got any follow up. That was a good book.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been reading all of Claremont over the years through the essentials, but only recently discovered that vol 6 is out of print, so I had to skip to 7. I knew it would be skipping a stories, but seeing non-Asian Psylock is really weird. Like I have never seen Betsy any other way. Longshot made sense because I read his origin mini a few years ago.

Also discovering the Owl was supposed to be the first major villain in X-factor is just weird.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I've been reading all of Claremont over the years through the essentials, but only recently discovered that vol 6 is out of print, so I had to skip to 7. I knew it would be skipping a stories, but seeing non-Asian Psylock is really weird. Like I have never seen Betsy any other way. Longshot made sense because I read his origin mini a few years ago.

Also discovering the Owl was supposed to be the first major villain in X-factor is just weird.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-X-M...en+essentials+6

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That is totally weird because last time I check it said out of print, must have gotten some more in stock.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

IUG posted:

Look at this flatline scum.

flatscan

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I liked Cable & X-Force, and a lot of people like Spurrier's X-Force after that (which stars Cable). Make sure you don't get the other X-Force that ran concurrently with C&X-F which features Storm and Psylocke because that poo poo is dire.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's an interview with Bendis.

You can practically feel the :smug: through the screen.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, that's some Earth X poo poo that only applies to that universe and any forking off it. 616 mutants are just supposed to be the further evolution of humanity.

It's still kind of the implication of Apocalypse finding a buried Celestial starship IIRC but yeah, basically the Ancient Aliens thing was kinda a recurrent suggestion in the 90's but has been quietly dropped by now I'm sure.

Which is too bad, it was awesome how well that tied everything together, with mutants/inhumans being a foreshadowing of man's emergence into a race of beings like the Eternals (or DC's New Gods, same difference).

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 20, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I've liked these last couple issues of Uncanny. #34 was nice, letting Dazzler finally do stuff.

The ending makes me wonder if there might be actual plans to do stuff with the kids from Scott's school. I do generally like them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Mystique turned into Logan after Emma and Jean.

But yea, this issue was excellent. Stupid Bendis leaving the decent stuff for the end of his run.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I really believed that Cyclops and Mystique had an affair there for those two panels because that's stupid enough for Bendis to have done it. I still can't believe he had Xavier marry, have a kid with, and leave the school to Mystique - and then time travel it away so he doesn't ever have to explain how such a ridiculous thing would be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
#34 was nice because Mystique finally got beat. She's been in so many books for so long manipulating everyone flawlessly with zero consequence it's driven me up the wall, but she lost a fight here with no epilogue showing how it was her plan all along. I've never felt such schadenfreude towards a fictional character.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just assumed Bendis liked the First Class relationship and wanted a version to be in the main story but by the time he was done writing the whole arc was like "nahhh."

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Rick posted:

I just assumed Bendis liked the First Class relationship and wanted a version to be in the main story but by the time he was done writing the whole arc was like "nahhh."

That Mystique is so interesting and central yet completely irreconcilable to the comic version in the films must bug Marvel so much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I really believed that Cyclops and Mystique had an affair there for those two panels because that's stupid enough for Bendis to have done it. I still can't believe he had Xavier marry, have a kid with, and leave the school to Mystique - and then time travel it away so he doesn't ever have to explain how such a ridiculous thing would be.

It was worth it for Emma's reaction.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nobby posted:

That Mystique is so interesting and central yet completely irreconcilable to the comic version in the films must bug Marvel so much.

Isn't that precisely what Secret Wars is supposed to fix? Blow up 616 and Ultimate, grab the best elements from those and cinematic and build a new universe?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Cabbit posted:

Isn't that precisely what Secret Wars is supposed to fix? Blow up 616 and Ultimate, grab the best elements from those and cinematic and build a new universe?

I would not be the least bit mad if we came out of this with obviously-JLaw-Mystique.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cabbit posted:

From what I have seen, they are taking the DC approach to this, so there isn't really a coherent plan in place.

It won't be anywhere near the clusterfuck DC was at the beginning tho.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TwoPair posted:

#34 was nice because Mystique finally got beat. She's been in so many books for so long manipulating everyone flawlessly with zero consequence it's driven me up the wall, but she lost a fight here with no epilogue showing how it was her plan all along. I've never felt such schadenfreude towards a fictional character.

Mystique should have been killed off way back in the "Kill Mystique" storyline and it should have ended there. Yet for some reason, much like Sabertooth coming back, someone decided that they needed to be brought back and so they were. I honestly preferred Mystique back in the old Claremont days because at least then she was just a mercenary and hadn't really hosed the X-Men over for years and years. God sometimes I hate comics for this very reason that mainstream is so unlikely to leave anything the gently caress alone if they think the return of it will even momentarily pop the numbers on a book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's Interview with the X-Men '92 writers.

They've confirmed Scumbag Gambit. :allears:

Also, a preview that slipped past the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I loving hate CBR. Why include "don't show me this again" as an option if you're going to give me that stupid popup EVERY FREAKING TIME???

• Locked thread