Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Colossus being blindly convinced his sister is a great person no matter what and if she's kind of demonic or whatever he just needs to really hug his little snowflake and make everything better is exactly what he did in Inferno and basically every book that has featured the two of them, ever.

And N'Astirh exists solely because the original post-Belasco Limbo demon was named S'ym and looked kind of like Cerebus, and then Claremont introduced Mister Sinister, and then thought "hey, Sinister, S'ym... S'ym...N'astirh? Tee hee hee." Considering people love lolcat Based MODOK for the lulz and teh wins I feel like N'astirh picking up a few contemporary slang terms in the 4/25 years he rules over NYC is a weird thing to flip out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Would you rather people be flipping out over the costume changes. :v:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think the only thing that's been outright bad is the stupid Deadpool book. A-Force comes close.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
@E&C

Neither I or anyone else here is flipping out, I just think it's poor and sloppy characterisation, and typical of a pretty lazily done book full stop. Lesson learned, I'll just drop it and pick something else up next time instead, say maybe Master of Kung Fu, that sounds pretty fun and free from such issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm just saying as someone who read Inferno and all of New Mutants as a kid, N'astirh (who is/was pretty much a cipher) talking slightly differently in a comic book 20+ years later seems like an odd thing to leap out at someone. I was more distracted by how weird his horseface was, it took me a minute to figure out who it was.

I think it's odd but obviously it's a valid thing to pick up on and dislike. I still don't quite get your point about how demons need to be afraid of Colossus to be a valid tie-in to Inferno. I also appreciate your genuine response to reading a comic far more than the sort of HEH HEH DIDN'T READ IT BUT gently caress THAT WRITER GONNA ADD IT TO MY LIST OF THINGS I HAVEN'T READ BUT KNOW SUCK.

I didn't even really like Inferno much either. Honestly I'm not sure if I've liked any of the tie-ins yet, I might just be suffering from multiverse 'fun' fatigue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Multiversity ending the week before Secret Wars started makes me feel like I've been on a crazy bender. It's all so wild, and outside the usual comfort zone the Marvel Universe gives it's readers, I'm super excited to hit the store each week, but I feel like I'm going to crash when it's over. Hopefully they'll be able to maintain this level of excitement afterwards.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Sentinel Red posted:

That's it though, slangy just isn't him. The dude was classic old school haughty demon bollocks now he's speaking like generic Whdeondude #32 or something.

He spoke like a good 70% of other Claremont villains did with crinklier word balloon. Claremont only had a few different "voices", most of them sounding like Claremont.

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm just saying as someone who read Inferno and all of New Mutants as a kid, N'astirh (who is/was pretty much a cipher) talking slightly differently in a comic book 20+ years later seems like an odd thing to leap out at someone. I was more distracted by how weird his horseface was, it took me a minute to figure out who it was.

Yeah, I mean, it was odd to me to pick him out because he was just such a generic footnote character that existed largely just to enable the crossover. I'd think a bigger nitpick is that he's red and doesn't seem to bear the techno-organic virus, since his red coloration was caused by that transformation. I don't particularly care, but it's a bigger gaffe.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

I think the only thing that's been outright bad is the stupid Deadpool book. A-Force comes close.

The only reason A-Force was 'meh' was because it felt more like a prologue than #1. I enjoyed it otherwise but yeah the Deadpool one was not that great.I agree with (the user) Deadpool, I've quite enjoyed mostly all the tie ins.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Deadpool book isn't even an actual tie-in. It has the stamp on the front but it doesn't take place in Battleworld and is completely its own thing. I did like it though, mainly for lampooning the ridiculous expository dialogue from the original and from a lot of comics around that time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Deadpool posted:

The Deadpool book isn't even an actual tie-in. It has the stamp on the front but it doesn't take place in Battleworld and is completely its own thing. I did like it though, mainly for lampooning the ridiculous expository dialogue from the original and from a lot of comics around that time.

Yeah, that was the only thing I liked about the book, but making fun of terrible Shooter's dialogue in (the original) Secret Wars is the softest target to take aim at, partly because of Shooter, but also partly because the comic was written to hook kids into Marvel comics and toys. Not that I'm saying it's not mock-worthy - it is pretty dorky even for a kid's book - but that that all it really does it just quote Secret Wars verbatim.

So the problem for me is that the funniest part is also the most :effort: part.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Infinity Gauntlet was very good. Old Man Logan was awesome and now I should probably go and read that trade. Inhumans was fun and I really enjoy Soule's writing. Everything was solid this week. I have no complaints as a first time buyer of literally everything in a big comic event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Old Man Logan was great. The one thing I thought was kind of odd was keeping Hammer Falls, Nevada in. I mean, in the original setting it was a great touch, but in Battleworld where all the Thors are Doom-controlled it seems out of place. If the story weren't focused on Logan going over the walls I'd almost say that someone actually lifting the hammer and being worthy while not just being a Doom-crony would be an interesting idea, but the hammer's obviously just set dressing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked Where Monsters Dwell a lot, but was I supposed to know what anything or anyone there was? I assume that the dinosaur jungle was the Savage Land? Or is this some really old Marvel property I don't know about?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's odd but obviously it's a valid thing to pick up on and dislike. I still don't quite get your point about how demons need to be afraid of Colossus to be a valid tie-in to Inferno.

Not afraid of him but Limbo demons (and a lot of magical things from that era) found anything remotely iron related to be unbearable to the touch, which was written to extend to Colossus' steel body, so simply touching him was effectively like putting your hand in a boiling chip pan. Horse-face chowing down on him as he did should have a rather different result.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

I liked Where Monsters Dwell a lot, but was I supposed to know what anything or anyone there was? I assume that the dinosaur jungle was the Savage Land? Or is this some really old Marvel property I don't know about?

Phantom Eagle is a very old character and I believe the one in this book is the same one Ennis used for the MAX book he wrote about him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Attilan Rising was really good. For people not into Inhumans, the cast has people not related to them from all over Battleworld. Including 1606 Murdoch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Attilan Rising was really good. For people not into Inhumans, the cast has people not related to them from all over Battleworld. Including 1606 Murdoch.

Yeah I was confused because I'm reading the Soule Inhumans run six months behind on MU, so I'm not current and I thought that Edward G. Ghostrider was supposed to be an Inhuman for a bit.

Also they called that sand Hulk "a Rick Jones" which implies there are more?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

Yeah I was confused because I'm reading the Soule Inhumans run six months behind on MU, so I'm not current and I thought that Edward G. Ghostrider was supposed to be an Inhuman for a bit.

Also they called that sand Hulk "a Rick Jones" which implies there are more?

It looks like the Inhumans in Attilan Rising are crossing from Region to Region in direct defiance of Doom's law; they're probably well aware of the "this place has duplicates from alternate realities" nature of Battleworld.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

you went halfway between 1602 which is the old timey marvel stuff and 1610 which is the ultimate universe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am glad I took the threads advice and grabbed Old Man Logan and Infinity Gauntlet. Both were awesome. I grabbed Inferno and Diaries, which I enjoyed, but I don't think Inferno can be a good story if its literally just Colossus trying to rescue Illyana over and over. I did like Scott as 90s Professor X though.

The Dani that Logan leaves the Hulk baby with, I assume that's Dani Moonstone?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zythrst posted:

So in Inferno has Colossus always been portrayed as the dumbest person alive? Well I don't know Pete, they might be expecting you today. Why not wait a day.

Alternate reality Colossus does not tend to fair well in the smarts department.

At least its not AOA Colossus, who was dumb and a craven rear end in a top hat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got Infinity, Inhumans, Journal, MODOK.

I dont really like the anthology books so far, they're too short to do anything with the stories. I really enjoyed Inhumans and MODOK more than any of the other series so far because they're really going whole hog and using the battleworld setting. Infinity was pretty good but so far is pretty standalone. Was tempted by OML then remembered the original series, then realized that Bendis was writing this, so uhm, skipped that.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Old Man Logan is the best Battleworld book so far.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Too bad you skipped possibly the best thing Bendis has written, and the best tie in out of a flock of fun books. Logan shamelessly being written as mutant Clint Eastwood is so good, and the art is some top tier stuff. Didn't expect the book to be very good, never would have expected it to be THAT good.

I'm also digging the anthology books. Short and sweet is a good side dish to the meatier minis.

Infinity Gauntlet was fun, and you can tell it really wants to be a manga.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Planet Hulk is the best followed closely behind by Infinity Gauntlet and Old Man Logan in that order. But I've been impressed with almost all of them so far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I am glad I took the threads advice and grabbed Old Man Logan and Infinity Gauntlet. Both were awesome. I grabbed Inferno and Diaries, which I enjoyed, but I don't think Inferno can be a good story if its literally just Colossus trying to rescue Illyana over and over. I did like Scott as 90s Professor X though.

The Dani that Logan leaves the Hulk baby with, I assume that's Dani Moonstone?

It's Dani Cage.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I enjoyed the Kate Bishop story on SW: Journal, but the Khonshu/Mutants one was just OK.

Anyway, I feel that Secret Wars so far has been pretty good; I don't mind that it's taking the spots of regular runs, it's just weird fun

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

Too bad you skipped possibly the best thing Bendis has written, and the best tie in out of a flock of fun books. Logan shamelessly being written as mutant Clint Eastwood is so good, and the art is some top tier stuff. Didn't expect the book to be very good, never would have expected it to be THAT good.

It's pretty solid, though with Bendis I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop in a future issue. Hopefully not, but I've been trained. Sorrentino's work felt pretty rough to me, it feels like the coloring was doing all the heavy lifting in the book.

It was solid but I feel a little tentative about it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Loving Secret Wars so far, but one thing that jumped out at me was Miguel telling Hercules that he's letting down Zeus by hitting on women like a drunken oaf. That would actually be a step up for Zeus, who often wouldn't even be in human form when he decided a woman was his.

Has Zeus ever appeared in the Marvel universe? If so, I'm guessing he's less... amorous.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Metalshark posted:

Loving Secret Wars so far, but one thing that jumped out at me was Miguel telling Hercules that he's letting down Zeus by hitting on women like a drunken oaf. That would actually be a step up for Zeus, who often wouldn't even be in human form when he decided a woman was his.

Has Zeus ever appeared in the Marvel universe? If so, I'm guessing he's less... amorous.

nah marvel zeus is still a giant piece of poo poo

maybe even more so since most of marvel's deities have still chilled out but not loving zeus

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, a lot of the Asgardian pantheon were made into bigger assholes recently, but Zeus was always a huge dick.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I read Infinity Gauntlet and was terrible confused. I've never read the original IG, so can someone explain how this ties in? Are those bugs supposed to be the Annihilation Wave? Why did some random grub have an infinity gem in it?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

I read Infinity Gauntlet and was terrible confused. I've never read the original IG, so can someone explain how this ties in? Are those bugs supposed to be the Annihilation Wave? Why did some random grub have an infinity gem in it?

I believe they are the Annihilation Wave so yeah, this takes place well after the original IG storyline assuming it happened on this world.

No idea why a grub would have it, but there was a dead Nova in that nest so that might have something to do with it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think you need to know anything about the original Infinity Gauntlet other than what the Gauntlet is, and that Thanos wants it.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Yeah, I just read IG on the recommendation of this thread. I'd skipped over it at first because I don't really read much cosmic Marvel stuff, and no pretty much nothing bout Nova\ thanos\ infinity Gauntlet, but I'm super glad I did now.

As someone who knows nothing about all that stuff, I loved it. It was a great first issue, loved the characters and am intrigued to see what happens next. Also the art was great. It was nice to be able to go in to a tie-in book completely cold and have it all be perfectly accessible. Looking forward to more of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Infinity Gauntlet seems to have been intentionally made to be stand alone without needing any outside context. No Secret Wars, no original Infinity Gauntlet. Family in a post apocalyptic world overrun by giant bugs. Go.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Does the new IG comic mean there every domain of Battle World has it's own set of Infinity Gems? Because my head starts to hurt too much when think about cosmic characters in this setting. What's gonna happen when 616 Thanos meets one of this Battle World doubles?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Is Duggen only helping with the first two issues? I'm weary of Weaver on his own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

Does the new IG comic mean there every domain of Battle World has it's own set of Infinity Gems? Because my head starts to hurt too much when think about cosmic characters in this setting. What's gonna happen when 616 Thanos meets one of this Battle World doubles?

Dunno, good question though.

From what I've read I would say that Planet Hulk, Inhumans, and IG are going to be the closest tie ins to the main story. Am I missing any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Dunno, good question though.

From what I've read I would say that Planet Hulk, Inhumans, and IG are going to be the closest tie ins to the main story. Am I missing any?

Old Man Logan

• Locked thread