Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Savannah Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Purple Martins by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

I love how birds look while blinking
Common Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

So on the weekend I was running a marathon out of town, bit over 100Km of highway driving, on Saturday I went to go pick up my race package, I wasn't in any hurry so I brought my camera with me because there are tons of hawks on the side of the highway this time of year in this area. On Saturday it was loving pouring, so didn't see/shoot anything while I was driving. Sunday morning, I head out at 6am, sunrise is at 5:30 so I have some fantastic light and there's nice blue skies, it's early so there's no traffic so pulling over to the shoulder is no problem. But I also have a marathon to run and need to rush on the highway so I'm not rushed when I get into the city so no camera. Saw 9 hawks of at least 3 varieties that morning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Got this pic of an angry fatbird and its offspring

Family by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The weather's been pretty lousy lately, so I haven't been out shooting much, but I finished processing all the photos I took at last month's Godwit Days Spring Migration Festival.

I had my first Spotted Owl encounter.

spotted-owl by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

This is Carson, one of the animal ambassadors from the Humboldt Wildlife Care Center. About a week ago, he escaped during an educational event and spent a couple days cruising around Arcata before being captured again.

carson1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A crow chasing a Red-tailed Hawk:

CrowRTH-WoodleyIsland by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A White-tailed Kite on its roost at sunset:

KiteSunset-VSt by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The Brown Pelicans have returned to Humboldt Bay

BrownPelican-KingSalmon by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Everyone should make a spare half hour and watch this presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcCP4_R8QBw

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Finch Fountain by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

tree swallow by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's weird seeing a bird that actively tries to interact with you instead of hiding/flying away/ignoring you completely.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
It's warbler season, and there are warblers everywhere.... except for the places I go. Until i find them, enjoy these common birds:

Barn Swallow by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Grackle by Justin Cook, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Fantastic Grackle shot! He looks pissed.

Slavvy posted:

It's weird seeing a bird that actively tries to interact with you instead of hiding/flying away/ignoring you completely.

Does your Ballchinian threaten you with indirect discussions of which jurisdictions have warrants for his arrest?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahaha! Nah but he makes a sound that sounds exactly like a car alarm being blipped, followed by the central locking clicking. I don't know if all tuis make this noise or if it's something that particular one has picked up from hanging around the in laws' house.

He then waves his chinballs around threateningly.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

First time I've seen a Tufted Titmouse while also having my camera with me.

Tufted Titmouse by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Gray Catbird by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Just got back from two weeks of working in North Carolina. Did a fair amount of birding while I was there. Photographic opportunities were few and far between, but I did get a few decent shots.

Yellow-Throated Warbler 1
by Josh, on Flickr

Prothonotary Warbler
by Josh, on Flickr

Slate-Colored Dark-Eyed Junco
by Josh, on Flickr

Blue-Headed Vireo 2
by Josh, on Flickr

Yellow-Breasted Chat 2
by Josh, on Flickr

Prairie Warbler 2
by Josh, on Flickr

Black and White Warbler
by Josh, on Flickr

Chestnut-Sided Warbler 2
by Josh, on Flickr

Golden-Winged Warbler
by Josh, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
From May 1st-9th I was skippering a 50' catamaran in the British Virgin Islands with a bunch of friends.

I didn't have a ton of time to go birding, but here's a few that I did get, and I'm pretty happy with the variety.

Green throated carib, one of the first birds I saw (outside a ferry terminal on St. Thomas, USVI)

Same bird from a different angle. The iridescence in the feathers makes a huge difference.

Brown pelican

A pair of laughing gulls at the ends of a pier

pearly-eyed thrasher, or as the locals call them "trash birds"

feral rooster at Devil's Bay on Virgin Gorda

a shy scaly-naped pigeon

Antillean crested hummingbird

Laughing gull on a dock with a stolen scrap

Bananaquit

Eared dove on a dock in the early hours of the morning

Laughing gull going for a scrap in the water. Yeah, the water really is that color.

and of course a making GBS threads magnificent frigatebird

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
First time shooting a bird that isn't a duck. Can anyone identify this please?

IMG_0361 by Jason Henry, on Flickr

Bird by Jason Henry, on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Jayo posted:

First time shooting a bird that isn't a duck. Can anyone identify this please?

Great blue heron.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have a house with wooden siding, so I hate these drat things. Pretty though. This one, however, is just a goober.

Young Woodpecker Glaring by B. B., on Flickr

Odd Young Woodpecker by B. B., on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
That Carib is a real cool looking bird.

Still no Warblers for me. I missed the golden weekend a couple weeks ago and haven't found any straglers. Did visit a Heron rookery though. Sadly, it was an overcast day.

Heron Nest by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Tree Swallow House by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Female Cowbird by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice NC and Virgin Islands shots, Beast and Kenshin.

I took another trip to the Bay Area and have a bunch more footage from a couple rookeries. The Great Egret chicks in the easily-viewable nest at the Santa Rosa rookery are growing quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtC6_e1c1SI

A Black-crowned Night Heron chick yawning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uRwp-DQWu0

A Snowy Egret practicing for flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43uty5hnBas

I took a detour to Clear Lake on the way back to see if the grebes were rushing yet. I didn't see any pairs rushing together, but it looks like several of them are trying to initiate courtship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jbx7iwS-qQ

There was an Osprey nesting platform right where I stopped to scope out the grebes. If you look carefully in the first shot, you can see part of the head of a small hatchling next to the parent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAJD0u8RvHY

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Moon Potato posted:

I took a detour to Clear Lake on the way back to see if the grebes were rushing yet. I didn't see any pairs rushing together, but it looks like several of them are trying to initiate courtship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jbx7iwS-qQ

This needs sound effects. Something like a motorcycle or jetski at 3/4 throttle going past for the one in the background zipping along.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

This needs sound effects. Something like a motorcycle or jetski at 3/4 throttle going past for the one in the background zipping along.
The Pied-billed Grebes actually vocalize when they rush, and It sounds sort of like a manic, nervous laughter. I saw a pair of them do it when I first pulled up by the slough, but they left by the time I got down by the water with my gear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Here it is, my 40th warbler species of the year (not counting Yellow-Breasted Chat). Unfortunately, most of them didn't exactly pose for a photo, but I've got some nice memories.

Hermit Warbler Male
by Josh, on Flickr

Hermit Warbler Female
by Josh, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trumpeter swan beating wings by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Trumpeter swan by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Sandpiper hunting by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 1, 2015

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I'm jealous of your warbler findings.

Here are more non-warblers:

Rose Breasted Grosbeak by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Snowy Bugs by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Poor girl infested with mosquitoes and flies.

Ruby Throated by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Sparrow Feeding by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

The thin bill and the face pattern makes me think female Wilson's Phalarope. Possibly Red Phalarope. Nice shot either way.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

IMG_1202.jpg by Jason Henry, on Flickr

IMG_1258.jpg by Jason Henry, on Flickr

IMG_1106.jpg by Jason Henry, on Flickr

IMG_1037.jpg by Jason Henry, on Flickr

IMG_0833.jpg by Jason Henry, on Flickr
I think that's a baby swan on the back of this one.

Pretty happy with how these turned out compared to my previous attempt although now I want an even longer lens.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bird by B. B., on Flickr

Seriously? This isn't a Disney/Pixar bird?
Cartoon Bird by B. B., on Flickr

And this one?

WTF by B. B., on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I don't know what your top bird is, torgeaux, but the cartoon bird is a Common Grackle (I think) and the bottom one is a European Starling.

They restocked Freshwater Lagoon with trout over the weekend and the weather cleared up yesterday, so I went to watch the Osprey. None of them caught a fish at the accessible end of the lagoon, but there were a couple dives nearby.

osprey-hovering2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-lookout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-dive-talons by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-takeoff2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The cormorant and Great Blue Heron regulars were there, too.

gbh-lagoon-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

cormorant-touchdown by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Bird by B. B., on Flickr

Assuming this was taken in the US it's either a Pygmy Nuthatch or Brown-Headed Nuthatch. I'd lean towards Pygmy, but there's no range overlap, so the location it was taken would say for sure. Pygmy is a bird of the west (basically pine forests from the rockies west) and Brown-Headed inhabit mostly pine forest in the southeast from east of Houston to Virginia.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went to Elk Island National Park this morning

Solitary Sandpiper by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
(not 100% sure on the id on this one, I don't encounter too many shorebirds)

Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Green-winged Teal by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue-winged Teals by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Eastern Phoebe by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Eastern Kingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

More raven attacking geese

[/url
][url=https://flic.kr/p/tVngCg]Raven Attack
by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Raven Attack by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Assuming this was taken in the US it's either a Pygmy Nuthatch or Brown-Headed Nuthatch. I'd lean towards Pygmy, but there's no range overlap, so the location it was taken would say for sure. Pygmy is a bird of the west (basically pine forests from the rockies west) and Brown-Headed inhabit mostly pine forest in the southeast from east of Houston to Virginia.

Rocky Mountains, so definitely the Pygmy.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice teals, neckbeard. We had a couple Blue-winged Teals pass through Arcata Marsh this year (according to eBird) but I was never able to find them.

I took the video gear up to see the Osprey at the lagoons yesterday and captured a few dives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSknQBMQzI
Right as I was putting my gear away for the evening, one last Osprey flew in and caught a fish right at my end of the lagoon. Bastard.

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

My VERY humble post for today. Finally got back out there yesterday, walked for miles through a few parks, but nothing was stirring. Saw an Osprey, but it was WAY too far off to get a good shot, even with my Sigma. Then saw this guy:

Then finally processed and fixed a photo from this winter, our resident snowy owl.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A few from this morning at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.

fledgling savanna sparrow

juvenile ring-billed gull

a row of ring-billed gulls on the boardwalk

osprey

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

We had a very high tide yesterday evening that brought a school of smelt all the way into Arcata Marsh's brackish pond. The Great Egret that controls the territory around the tidal sluice there was very happy about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFWXe17zfIw

I've always had lousy luck getting a clear shot of goldfinches. As soon as I go for the camera, they fly away unless they're distracted by something tasty. Last fall, that was dandelion seeds. Right now, it looks like they're really into the seeds on the salt grasses around the tidal sloughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8VQB74A_A

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Blue Bird by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Bobolink by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Indigo Bunting by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Not a great shot of the bunting, but I've never seen one in the area before so it was a nice surprise.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Last summer, there was a Great Egret that figured out the tidal sluice on Klopp Lake attracted smelt at high tide and staked that spot out as its feeding territory. This summer, it looks like a Great Blue Heron has done the same. Fortunately, its one that lets me get pretty close to it without freaking out.

gbh-strike3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-yum by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-nibble by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-gulp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-floof2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Hummingbird Series3 by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I saw swarms of Anna's and rufous hummingbirds today at Discovery Park here in Seattle. Most of them looked pretty young, so it seems like fledglings of both species learning to be territorial without having quite figured out how to spread further yet.

Lots of pictures ahead.