Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm back. Time to watch the anime.
Be sure to watch good anime, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Be sure to watch good anime, friend.

I'll do my best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No more sleep tonight I guess, might as well get up and watch My Love Story before work.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No more sleep tonight I guess, might as well get up and watch My Love Story before work.

Good, very good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
SNAFU has, I think, just barely passed the three-ep test, but only because enough people have spoken highly of it that I'm hopeful. The dialogue's pretty snappy, but everything else is, so far, textbook rom-com.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll do my best.

I failed, instead of watching any anime I started looking up what roles my favorite seiyuus dub. Did you know Tessho Genda is the official voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger? I'm convinced this is why he was cast as Toguro in YYH.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

SNAFU has, I think, just barely passed the three-ep test, but only because enough people have spoken highly of it that I'm hopeful. The dialogue's pretty snappy, but everything else is, so far, textbook rom-com.

It doesn't stay that way for long, I actually dropped it around there the first time and I wish I hadn't.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is why it's good to have people watching seemingly :mediocre: shows.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It doesn't stay that way for long, I actually dropped it around there the first time and I wish I hadn't.

Eh it's still pretty rom-com-y as far as I've seen (nearing the end of season 1), but I'm enjoying it. I am not entirely opposed to rom-coms, though.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I once knew a guy who wanted to introduce his mom to anime by way of Lucky Star.

Took a fair bit of effort to convince him otherwise.

So what did you recommend instead?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hadaka Apron posted:

cowboy bebop

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Masako Nozawa, the lady who voices every character ever, is the dub voice of Doug Funny. Neat

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tomiyama Kei, aka Yang Wenli, is Dark Helmet in Spaceballs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

Nothing that I recall.

There were several of us. My main contribution to the conversation was the suggestion that maybe a show which is 50% in-jokes is less than ideal introductory material.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just watched the new My Love Story. It was very good.

Thank you for reading, anime chat thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kiritsigu's va dubs jack bauer in 24

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dude789 posted:

I just watched the new My Love Story. It was very good.

Thank you for reading, anime chat thread.

You're welcome.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Tomiyama Kei, aka Yang Wenli, is Dark Helmet in Spaceballs.
Perfect.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kappei Yamaguchi, the guy who voices shitloads of characters and is the official Bugs Bunny voice in Japan, is in a surprising amount of hentai.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm actually going to watch anime now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'll watch anime when I get home.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm off Saint Seiya and back to Dougram

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my anime plans fell through, so i will watch Nasu and OreMono tomorrow instead

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tomorrow I pledge to catch up to Jojo till vanilla ice.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Hi anime thread,

I have not watched anime today. However, I'm about to catch up with the newest episode of My Love Story and marathon both seasons of Kimi ni Todoke. Please give me some other romance anime suggestions (besides Lovely Complex since I rewatched that the other day)!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Vanilla Cool Ice fight was bitchin.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Tomorrow I pledge to catch up to Jojo till vanilla ice.

doing this atm, on ep 38

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nondevor posted:

Hi anime thread,

I have not watched anime today. However, I'm about to catch up with the newest episode of My Love Story and marathon both seasons of Kimi ni Todoke. Please give me some other romance anime suggestions (besides Lovely Complex since I rewatched that the other day)!

Toradora.

My Little Monster is pretty good but you'll have to switch to the manga after the anime stops right in the middle of the story with a vaguely apologetic shrug.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nondevor posted:

Hi anime thread,

His and Her Circumstances is good, if you haven't seen that. I liked the gainax end, even.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Hi anime thread,

nodame cantabile

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fruits Basket is probably my favorite romance shoujo anime, but the manga is better and continues way beyond the anime. Actually, I think most of my love for it is due to the manga, so maybe just read that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

nodame cantabile

this one is pretty good aside from the pacing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
His and Her Circumstances = Kare Kano, right? I remember watching parts of the dub for that ages ago but don't remember anything about it. The Fruits Basket anime is also one of my old favorites, although I never picked up the manga. Should probably pick that up at some point.

As for Nodame Cantabile, I've heard about it but haven't seen it yet. Already saw Toradora and read the manga for My Little Monster, so I'll save those for a later rewatch. Looks like my viewing order for the next week is My Love Story > Kimi ni Todoke > Kare Kano/Nodame Cantabile > other shows. Thanks for the recs!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Arakawa Under the Bridge, is pretty decent. If you've seen kokkuri-san or Kamisama Hajimemashita(another romcom), you'll like the style of humor that is mixed in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was gonna watch anime tonight but instead I've chosen to get mad at MGS3's European Extreme Ocelot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-27/anime-studios-success-calculated-based-on-10-years-of-disc-sales/.88558

KyoAni is the most successful anime studio in the past ten years and also apparently one of the few that actually treats its animators decently, I wonder if there's any correlation?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-27/anime-studios-success-calculated-based-on-10-years-of-disc-sales/.88558

KyoAni is the most successful anime studio in the past ten years and also apparently one of the few that actually treats its animators decently, I wonder if there's any correlation?

Just think how much more successful they could be if they treated them like slaves, though!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

How the gently caress is Sunrise still in business?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

KyoAni is successful through simply being competent, from what I've heard. Treating staff well, training people up, scheduling and planning things so stuff gets done on time, etc. I haven't looked at the numbers myself, but I've heard their animation quality is more due to good planning rather than just piles of money being thrown around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

How the gently caress is Sunrise still in business?

Pretend I posted the modern-day sweatshop screen cap from Gintama again.

• Locked thread