Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
If anyone's wondering about the Yennifer alternate look, there's a Downloadable Content option on the main menu where you can toggle that on or off. Thought I saw someone ask about that a shitload of pages ago.

Oh and gently caress that Swamp Thing contract. I was 7 levels or so above that thing and it killed me a few times. That is until I barbecued that motherfucker. Alternate Igni is very useful in one on ones.

Zoo06 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stormgale posted:

I've fought packs of level -2/3 opponents who take a lot of hits to kill (on death march), 5 wraith fight in NML was still the hardest fight in the game.

I don't know about death march. If you have it on death march and it seems too hard I guess, yeah, maybe it's too hard.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where do I get a cool gif or whatever of the Bloody Baron failing to sheath his dagger over and over?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't forget to read bestiary entries for unique monsters! The Swamp Thing foglet for example is unblockable and very fast. The only way to get away from his attacks is to use roll or spam Quen. The bestiary will tell you this but if you didn't read it you're going to die over and over again wondering why dodge and block aren't working.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Junkie Disease posted:

Where do I get a cool gif or whatever of the Bloody Baron failing to sheath his dagger over and over?
Also Geralt dunking his head into the horse trough over and over.

EDIT: Is there a manual download for 1.04? GOG Galaxy keeps failing with a "Server Problem" error but it doesn't even try to start the download and nothing is wrong with my connection.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Finally finished my new PC and used the Nvidia thing to download this from GOG., patched to 1.04.
The pre-rendered cutscenes (video files?) are only about half as loud as regular stuff which breaks immersion, and you have to kill witcher3.exe manually after exiting the game.

Not off to a good start :unsmith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just fetched all of the Feline gear and holy wow does it suck. I have a bunch of "assassin" gear that is light armor that gives me cool bonuses...I have the "Cat School Technique" skill and have first two Fast Attack skills maxed; the assassin gear gives me bonus chance to crit and bonus crit damage (edit: on top of what the Cat School Technique grants). The Feline gear is like 5% better armor points and way worse other bonuses. +10% reduction to elemental damage, woo :eng99:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 28, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Pro tips for new people and kelptos:

-Nooks and crannies of the environment can hold loot containers of many types that have either a higher chance, or a set type of loot. Usually moderately high crafting materials or, rarely, a good weapon.

-Animal skins are HEAVY, try to unload them at inns when you can. Also worth good coin.

-Take it easy on the herb picking. The maximum amount you would ever need is somewhere around 15-20 of something. The herbs you pick up are rarely, if ever, worth more than 1 gold. Don't bother.

-Inns pay the best for junk and animal skins. Smiths for armors, weapons, and crafting materials. Merchants of the same type will have higher or lower costs depending on a number of factors. General merchants are usually a ripoff, but there are some out there that will buy stuff for full price, mostly around novigrad.

-Once you have books and notes in your useable item inventory tab, make it a priority to either sell off or drop them somewhere. This will save you some of the headache that will be the constant inventory entering you will be doing.

-Potions can be used during battles from the inventory screen, not just your quick slots. Just highlight them and the option will be at the bottom right side.

-In white orchard, if you are through, you might come across stuff called "dimeritium plates/ingot" These are high level crafting goods and worth a lot of money. Take these to a smith of some sort for a good boost in cash for the early game. You won't be using them for a long while and by the time you do, you will be rolling in money and have picked up so many more. You'd probably only need to sell 1 plate to be well off until you can get by by just selling dropped weapons.

-Looting everything in a point of interest is generally all you need to do to be well off and supplied.

-Your potions and bombs refill while meditating and using one strong alcohol. (Alcoholist, Dwarvin Spirit, White Gull) You will loot so much of this stuff it won't even matter. Don't buy them. If you are running low somehow, looting towns will either give you all you need for a long while or the money to buy them.
Oils have unlimited uses, but a limited number of charges before it needs to be reapplied. This doesn't cost anything. You can do this during battles by dragging and dropping on the PC.

-Dodge is generally better than roll, as you will be able to punish an attacker from the side and when recovering. Obviously handling a shitstorm like a pack of 8 wolves will take a bit of improvising on the higher difficulties.

-Wraiths of all types are only really vulnerable when inside the yerden sign's circle. There are also bombs called "Moon Dust" you can get later on that will do the same thing for a limited amount of time.

-If you really want to unload stuff for the best price and only have to make one trip then: Head to Novigrad, whatever way you want.

----------------------------

I decided to start over, make a few different choices here and there. Ciri's picture in Emyir's room is still funny. That scowl.

I need help with Gwent. How many cards in a deck should I have? How many weather? Ratios of types? Etc. etc. I'm getting out lucked by peasant merchants starting out.

Also for anyone wondering about the Tree Spirit heart and the crones should read the book "She Who Knows" There is one in that village you go to to meet up with your milfguard contact. Its a warning about that quest.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Caidin posted:

Is there a relible way to make shield dudes drop them? Loading screen tips says depleting their stamina does it but they just turtle up or shield bash regardless of an empty bar.

Alternate Igni makes them drop their shield 100% of the time after a second or 2 of using it.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Begemot posted:

It's just a random drop and I don't think there are a lot of golems around so you need to get lucky. I got one from the golem in Phillipa's lair.

I think the level of enemies effects the kind of parts you get from them, so the one in the main quest might never drop one while Phillipa's always does, or has a better chance to. But idk.

In regards to monster level affecting the drops i can confirm this. When i was a low level, i didnt find any nekkar warrior hearts on acount of only vsing regular nekkars. Then i found a nekkar warrior and got nekkar warrior heart. Now some levels later the regular nekkars are dropping nekkar warrior hearts. The ones in Phillipas cave did anyway and they werent warriors.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't forget to read bestiary entries for unique monsters! The Swamp Thing foglet for example is unblockable and very fast. The only way to get away from his attacks is to use roll or spam Quen. The bestiary will tell you this but if you didn't read it you're going to die over and over again wondering why dodge and block aren't working.

I wandered across this guy accidentally and beat him by standing outside his fog cloud and whacking him whenever he came over to the edge of it lol.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know about death march. If you have it on death march and it seems too hard I guess, yeah, maybe it's too hard.

Im not sure death march matters that much, whenever I die to a pack of dudes its due to a stunlock chain of 1 hit into 6-10, take the 3 wraiths. Most of my deaths were:

3 wraiths teleport into a semicircle around me
1 tags me as I roll away, others come in and dog pile me for 3x3 9 hits = dead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eihal :allears:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Trying to get a bearing here on progress.

I am at the questline named 'Final Preparations.' Percentage wise, how much main story is there left?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Just found out Letho is dead in my playthrough, though I was sure I let him live. Which sucks cause I've been using the Prima guide to hunt down every chest location in Velen :(.

Does anyone here have a Iorveth save file with Aryan, Letho, Henselt alive and Saskia saved? If possible have up to the Baron questline done with Lubberkin and Baron alive and most of the chests/cards in Velen collected too.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 28, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ice Fist posted:

Trying to get a bearing here on progress.

I am at the questline named 'Final Preparations.' Percentage wise, how much main story is there left?

Finish that and the gang heads to Skellige, then there's another similar chain of quests and then the final quest..

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Does Iorveth/Saskia even show up in this game?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lyer posted:

Does Iorveth/Saskia even show up in this game?

Yeah it turns out they married and adopted a litter of dwarven children. Look out for them in Novigrad.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every bit of dialogue that involves the trolls throughout the game is the best comedy writing. also Bart the Troll is amazingly adorable :allears:

One of the more comical bits for me was the part where one troll calls another one ugly and says "what? don't make that face at me, we both know it" in their broken speech. Or the quest where you meet a troll who joined the Radovid army, gets told to guard the boats and takes the boats and turns them into his own fort. "Boats Guard Boats" :patriot:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 28, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm glad that there are rabid rock trolls in the wilderness for you to fight without guilt or else I would never have gotten to fight one :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They really make you work for that incredibly awkward first sex scene.

That whole quest was so amazingly groan worthy it almost comes around full circle and becomes good again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Begemot posted:

I'm glad that there are rabid rock trolls in the wilderness for you to fight without guilt or else I would never have gotten to fight one :ohdear:

The only troll I fought was [spoiler]the one guarding the mastercraft armor tools in Skellige[/quote].

They have more personality than Eskel & Lambert combined.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lol at geralt gettin randy at a funeral

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

NESguerilla posted:

They really make you work for that incredibly awkward first sex scene.

That whole quest was so amazingly groan worthy it almost comes around full circle and becomes good again.

Oh god video game sex. I get its trying to push the boundaries of storytelling in games and all that but its just so drat awkward and cringeworthy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only other video game sex i've seen was the QTE in God of War and I don't know if this was worse or not, running around trying to find underwear with your Witcher sense...

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Junkie Disease posted:

This is my favorite scene, he's just so :stare:

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Just beat this. What a great game. I clocked about 80 hours and thought the game was engrossing the whole way through. A big surprise after being disappointed by rpgs like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2. Some thoughts about the ending:

I got the bad Ciri ending and feel duped. The choices that influence the final Ciri ending are arbitrary and are poorly telegraphed. For the entire game I was nice to Ciri, didn't get in her way, always had her back, etc - turns out it doesn't mean poo poo because 1) choosing to drink vs having a snowfight, 2) not letting her wreck the elf's lab, and 3) going with Ciri to the Lodge meeting basically ensured I got the bad ending. What the gently caress?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CerebralDonut posted:

Just beat this. What a great game. I clocked about 80 hours and thought the game was engrossing the whole way through. A big surprise after being disappointed by rpgs like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2. Some thoughts about the ending:

I got the bad Ciri ending and feel duped. The choices that influence the final Ciri ending are arbitrary and are poorly telegraphed. For the entire game I was nice to Ciri, didn't get in her way, always had her back, etc - turns out it doesn't mean poo poo because 1) choosing to drink vs having a snowfight, 2) not letting her wreck the elf's lab, and 3) going with Ciri to the Lodge meeting basically ensured I got the bad ending. What the gently caress?
Spoiler about the decision points to get a specific ending
It's about letting her grow as a person and be free, instead of coddling her and restraining her

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Re: shield dudes, once you've gone down the path deep enough, the whirl wind attack that you hold light attack for will drop their stamina very quickly, exposing them, and you can tool them up at that point very easily.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

This is my favorite scene, he's just so :stare:

It really shows how far they've come with their digital acting. Some of my favorite moments in the game have been brief facial expressions or little human touches like that. It's actually pretty exciting to see games as a medium progressing to the point where these things are possible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ButteCysts posted:

Oh god video game sex. I get its trying to push the boundaries of storytelling in games and all that but its just so drat awkward and cringeworthy.

At least the sex scenes made sure Conan O'Brien gave it high marks in his clueless gamer series.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Video game sex is a lot easier for me to handle when it's two characters with their own opinions about things like Geralt and some batty sorceress. In Dragon Age where it's a blank page player-avatar and a harem of available NPCs it feels too much like I'M MAKIN' THE DOLLIES KISS MWA MWA MWA!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Voyager I posted:

It really shows how far they've come with their digital acting. Some of my favorite moments in the game have been brief facial expressions or little human touches like that. It's actually pretty exciting to see games as a medium progressing to the point where these things are possible.

I always get surprised when I see a dude smirk in game and I'm like oh righttttttt. :haw:

I even like when Geralt sniffs, you can the lines his nose makes around his upper lip. It's amazing to look at.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roach is an rear end in a top hat who hates stories about hiking - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTJT-PnziU

Props to CDPR for putting a way to get out, I've played other games where something like that will happen and I'll just be stuck and going "well poo poo, now what?"

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 28, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Nearly all of my favorite dialogue scenes in 3 are ones where entire back and forths are just expressions, even if it's somewhere where another game would just have a quick throwaway line, and it's a quirk of an eyebrow answered by a shrug or something. They're almost all really well done.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hmmm, I seem to be stuck. I'm in Novigrad and some stuff has happened, so spoilers incoming:

I took Triss to the Witch Hunters to get at Menge, and they were going to torture her sooooooo I used Axii and started a fight. Killed all the witch hunters, as well as Menge. Found the letter and got the key. Now I'm trying to find a way out of the damned place, but I can't see anything on the map or with the witcher sense stuff and yeah... no idea where to go. Help?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gonkish posted:

Hmmm, I seem to be stuck. I'm in Novigrad and some stuff has happened, so spoilers incoming:

I took Triss to the Witch Hunters to get at Menge, and they were going to torture her sooooooo I used Axii and started a fight. Killed all the witch hunters, as well as Menge. Found the letter and got the key. Now I'm trying to find a way out of the damned place, but I can't see anything on the map or with the witcher sense stuff and yeah... no idea where to go. Help?

You have to hop over a shingled wall partition to find the door out. It's by the wooden stairs on the side of the building.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Spoiler about the decision points to get a specific ending
It's about letting her grow as a person and be free, instead of coddling her and restraining her

Ending talk:

besides those specific instances, this is the approach I took for most of my interactions with her. The only thing I did right was to bury Skjall. I can see how this is a key decision point, but the other decision points confuse me. For the drinking vs snowball decision point -> I didn't even know the snowball fight was an option, I just figured that choice would piss her off so I went with the drinking. Turns out that was the wrong move. Also, when the decision came up to go to Vizima vs fight the Wild Hunt general - I immediately chose to fight the general because how does it benefit anyone if she goes to see the emperor? This was also the wrong decision - the correct choice was to go to Vizima and refuse the emperor's coin. Re the elf lab - right, it's clear that the correct choice is to support Ciri as she throws a temper tantrum and destroys the dude's lab. Come on.

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 28, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I don't want to fall prey to cliches, but I'm going to guess that (Crones of Crookback Bog spoilers) freeing the spiky spirit who is cursing the nearby village and wants blood and bones to become one with a demonic mare and ride forever free is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Pellisworth posted:

I have yet to truly fail a quest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. This game seems pretty user friendly in that sense.

I failed a pretty random sidequest in the farmlands of Novigrad (I think it was Flown the Coop, something about a monster stealing chickens). Since I wasn't doing anything main quest related for a long time before I noticed, I suspect it was related to a nearby quest to deal with a monster on behalf of some halfling mead brewers.

The completionist in me is a little miffed - I had older saves but would have to roll back a LOT of Gwent progress. Honestly though it makes me intrigued about how those quests must tie together, and it's high on my to-do list for the next playthrough even though I know it must be something minor. I'd rather have quests that intertwine and occasionally whiff and fail one, rather than having everything being completely standalone and static from every other part of the game.

I've "failed" other quests by being too hasty about turning them in, and only later stumbling across a bit of evidence that complicates the issue. Makes me wonder how many of the most straightforward quests had layers that I was just oblivious to. It adds a lot of richness to the game and discourages anal-retentive checklist style play all at once.