Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I think everyone likes Waver because he's a nice guy and the most relatable of the cast (and also because he was bros with Rider), but he's not as interesting a character as the other major players at the end of the day.

He might be less intellectually interesting but he's emotionally engaging. A character doesn't have to be a thought experiment on morality to be a good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

kiritsugu, playing with his daughter: :smith:

kiritsugu, insulting king arthur: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing a man: :smith:

kiritsugu, having sex with his wife: :smith:

kiritsugu, having sex with his sidekick: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing a woman: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his crush: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his mother figure: :smith:

kiritsugu, fighting his rival: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his wife: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his daughter: :smithicide:

kiritsugu, saving a little boy's life: :gbsmith:

there i just summarized fate/zero for anyone who hasn't watched it

Thank you for this.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

waver has a character arc and growth

kiritsugu is static and absurdly boring as a protagonist

yeah his fight against kayneth was interesting to watch play out in terms of more traditional magic versus kiritsugu's gun/time magic, but he was just awful beyond that

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'd rather hang out with Shirou for a home cooked meal over brooding with Kerry.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 28, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kiritsugu is alright as a character but the whole point is he's a weird ideologue who does hosed up poo poo, I have no idea why so many people can't grasp that.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Rodyle posted:

Kiritsugu is alright as a character but the whole point is he's a weird ideologue who does hosed up poo poo, I have no idea why so many people can't grasp that.

Maybe weird hosed up ideologues are cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Redmark posted:

I don't have strong feelings about Fate/Zero either way so it's a bit strange to me how much this thread (and often the other one too) revolves around it. Obviously there's a comparison to be made, but man it is absolutely dominating the discussion.

i liked F/Z more before UBW started airing and half of the threads were whining about how stories with adults are better or other dumb opinions seeing F/Z first inspired

whining about whining about UBW is perfectly okay though

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The actually interesting stuff about Kiritsugu doesn't come off very clearly for a lot of people, so all they see is the typical stone-cold killer who does cool things (even Kotomine mistook him for this, that's why he was interested in him in the first place) until you get his Tragic Backstory thrown at you.

Kiritsugu is probably more interesting if it was more obvious he was a broken man at the start of Zero and gets only more broken as time goes on. A friend of mine described it this way: his ideology is at odds with his goals and he's suffering from desperation to achieve those goals because the dissonance between his vague goal of "end conflict and evil" and his method of "do whatever it takes to defeat evil" is eating him up inside. Because he's kind of childish. He even uses pronouns that indicate his emotional immaturity. His moral handwringing comes from not wanting to compromise on his heroic goal, even though he's perfectly willing to compromise on his methods, all despite the fact that he doesn't really have an endgame besides bringing about world peace... somehow. Like a child's understanding of good and evil. Even if the grail weren't tainted, he didn't really have a specific wish that any power could resolve. Just a vague dream.

You know how in cheesy sci-fi, a character might outwit an evil computer by giving it a logical paradox and letting it short itself out? Angra Mainyu literally did that to Kiritsugu. His ends were unachievable, which meant there was nothing capable of justifying his means. When he realized that, he was able to see that the entire grail war was a farce, even if he didn't know exact nature as to why.

Kiritsugu's story is intellectually interesting to type out, but sadly as presented he's really boring in spite of this.

Meanwhile, Waver's story is intellectually pretty simple. He's an ordinary person, for a given value of ordinary, who gets way in over his head and finds a magical mentor-figure/friend (and, going by author comments, romantic interest) who teaches him how to grow up. On paper, gosh, that's not nearly as interesting as a morality thought experiment told through guns and buildings exploding. In practice, it was compelling and lent a human angle to the entire show.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, right.

Shirou's story is also about resolving a thought experiment regarding heroism, though instead of being about ends justifying means and chasing a dream, he's more about living up to ideals. It's a shame that his arc is actually split between multiple routes, which was clever in the VN but not so great for adaptations. Fate ends with Shirou chasing his childish ideals. UBW has him come to terms with and understand them, but pursue them because he feels its the right thing to do. HF has him grow out of them, and instead of living as a hero he lives as a man. While not the end-all ultimate result of what Shirou, the person, could be it's the resolution of his arc as presented in the source material.

So if you wanted a really satisfying conclusion to the Fate franchise's themes, UBW ain't it. Much less the plotlines left hanging in Zero. Gosh it's pretty, though. Super pretty. Also the source material made the mistake of putting all of Shirou's nuance in loving internal monologues, like hell anyone's going to adapt those. Despite that he's okay. A bit "arch" since you only see the end result of his thought processes, not the much more interesting processes themselves, but Kiritsugu also had that problem too. Though without his thought processes Kerry's still a guy with a trenchcoat and gun, so you can see why he's popular.

I'm honestly not a big fan of high-concept thought-experiment stories, but on the whole Shirou is cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Actually, I've heard Fate Shirou doesn't become Archer either even if he does come the closest out of the three. I've never understood the justification as to why though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

Actually, I've heard Fate Shirou doesn't become Archer either even if he does come the closest out of the three. I've never understood the justification as to why though.
i think nasu's answer was something like 'infinite worlds, theoretically every shirou has the capacity to become archer, but the archer you see in the VN isn't from any of those routes'

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Allarion posted:

The way I understood it? Because of Archer.

I think Archer comes from a timeline where Archer was not summoned as a Hero during the Grail War as Rin's Servant. Influence from Archer himself, even if minor, sets Shirou on a different path.

Fate Shirou is the closest to becoming Archer, but not likely, UBW Archer is very unlikely, and HF is drat near impossible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing that I think muddies the waters about Kiritsugu is that his insane ideology works in the end. When Angra Manyu confronts him with its flaws, he just goes 'nope, Imma stick to it anyway' and destroys the Grail, saving the world (even if the backlash levels Fuyuki). It takes a hell of a lot out of him, but it does lead him to the best available option.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah but his stupid bullshit led him into a situation where that outcome was his best and only available option, whereas if he'd actually put any thought or reason into his actions up to that point he likely could've avoided such an extreme outcome to begin with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing that I think muddies the waters about Kiritsugu is that his insane ideology works in the end. When Angra Manyu confronts him with its flaws, he just goes 'nope, Imma stick to it anyway' and destroys the Grail, saving the world (even if the backlash levels Fuyuki). It takes a hell of a lot out of him, but it does lead him to the best available option.

The best available option left to him. His idiocy ensured that there was no other path left to him and even after all that he was also responsible for help staring Shriou down an even more hosed up path then he followed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The actually interesting stuff about Kiritsugu doesn't come off very clearly for a lot of people, so all they see is the typical stone-cold killer who does cool things (even Kotomine mistook him for this, that's why he was interested in him in the first place) until you get his Tragic Backstory thrown at you.

Kiritsugu is probably more interesting if it was more obvious he was a broken man at the start of Zero and gets only more broken as time goes on. A friend of mine described it this way: his ideology is at odds with his goals and he's suffering from desperation to achieve those goals because the dissonance between his vague goal of "end conflict and evil" and his method of "do whatever it takes to defeat evil" is eating him up inside. Because he's kind of childish. He even uses pronouns that indicate his emotional immaturity. His moral handwringing comes from not wanting to compromise on his heroic goal, even though he's perfectly willing to compromise on his methods, all despite the fact that he doesn't really have an endgame besides bringing about world peace... somehow. Like a child's understanding of good and evil. Even if the grail weren't tainted, he didn't really have a specific wish that any power could resolve. Just a vague dream.

You know how in cheesy sci-fi, a character might outwit an evil computer by giving it a logical paradox and letting it short itself out? Angra Mainyu literally did that to Kiritsugu. His ends were unachievable, which meant there was nothing capable of justifying his means. When he realized that, he was able to see that the entire grail war was a farce, even if he didn't know exact nature as to why.

Kiritsugu's story is intellectually interesting to type out, but sadly as presented he's really boring in spite of this.

Meanwhile, Waver's story is intellectually pretty simple. He's an ordinary person, for a given value of ordinary, who gets way in over his head and finds a magical mentor-figure/friend (and, going by author comments, romantic interest) who teaches him how to grow up. On paper, gosh, that's not nearly as interesting as a morality thought experiment told through guns and buildings exploding. In practice, it was compelling and lent a human angle to the entire show.

I just want to state for the record that using –l ("boku") doesn't indicate immaturity. I've heard it used in a lot of semi-professional situations where the male speaker doesn't want to sound too formal or too feminine but isn't going to go off the rails and use ‰´ ("ore").

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rodyle posted:

See: TVIV and the rest of the internet in general with regards to Breaking Bad.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Gonna back AlternateNu's statement up. If using "boku" indicates emotional immaturity, it makes me wonder why both myself and my boss at work use it all the time as our pronouns. (source: work in a Japanese company, in Japan, with a Japanese boss)

It's not as common as "ore" for sure, but it's by no means indicating immaturity or femininity. If it's anything, it's either less aggressive or less casual than ore, or a mix of both.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 28, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah boku isn't immature what the hell. stop trying to act like an expert on the japanese language because you watch anime

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My bad.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I watched the dub of Fate/Zero so I could listen to Matthew Mercer's sweet, sweet voice.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Could someone point one when Kiritsugu did so badly?

Was it when he killed his father to stop more villages being exterminated?
Was it when he killed the assassin lady to prevent New York City being overrun by zombies?
Was it when he killed lovely mages and a serial killer in the Holy Grail War?
Was it when he attempted to destroy the grail when it's true nature was revealed?

It just does not compute to me. Are people arguing that everything can be solved without killing people? Because that is obviously not true, especially in the freaking Holy Grail War. I mean, did you all ignore when Rin was trying very hard to kill Shirou? Was Kiritsugu's wish a bit much? Yeah, but the grail was supposed to be all powerful. It really just seems the Kiritisugu haters are just being hipsters about this, and are upset about Fate/zero being more succesful then UBW.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Probably when he decided that the way to world peace was to kill as many threats as possible.

EDIT: I guess if you want an exact point, then it would be right after he killed Natalia and decided that sunk cost fallacy wasn't a thing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 28, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Read the previous page you dope, there are literally multiple answers to your questions.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

BlitzBlast posted:

Probably when he decided that the way to world peace was to kill as many threats as possible.

EDIT: I guess if you want an exact point, then it would be right after he killed Natalia and decided that sunk cost fallacy wasn't a thing.

Ah, yes, of course, the sunk cost fallacy. Argument conceded, carry on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Archer is cooler than Kiritsugu because UBW is a much cooler magic than the time crap and shooting super magic swords is cooler than a gun.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Fate/zero being more succesful then UBW.

I love this lie you see people try to push that Fate or TM in general was in some kind of dire need/is unpopular and had to be rescued by Fate Zero.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Archer is cooler than Kiritsugu because UBW is a much cooler magic than the time crap and shooting super magic swords is cooler than a gun.

Hahahahahaha. Now I know your trolling, UBW is the shittiest most boring power in the series. It's like Zero Rider's noble phantasm but without being cool. And the time magic was loving sick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anime Sandwich please stop owning the retards in this thread.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anime Sandwich please stop owning the retards in this thread.

It just makes me so angry that they think that Kiritsugu isn't cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Where does the Greatest Cool fit on this particular scale.

rvm
May 6, 2013
There is an interesting difference between Kiritsugu and Shirou ideologies. Kiritsugu abandons his humanity for the sake of his goal (the world free from fighting), while Shirou wants to become hero of justice (superhero) since he mistakenly sees that as the only way to retain his disintegrating humanity. That's why Angra Manyu destroy Kiritsugu so easily, while Archer can't do jack poo poo to Shirou. And that's also why Shirou is more interesting character to me.

In many ways, UBW Shirou is more similar to Kirei than Kiritsugu.

rvm fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 28, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

rvm posted:

,Shirou is more similar to Kirei than Kiritsugu.

Hmmmm

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

"What other people called happiness, did not bring me any joy."

rvm
May 6, 2013

Both desperately cling to their humanity, in different ways. That's why Kirei loathes Kiritsugu who willingly gives it up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

rvm posted:

Both desperately cling to their humanity, in different ways. That's why Kirei loathes Kiritsugu who willingly gives it up.

Wasn't disagreeing!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

It just makes me so angry that they think that Kiritsugu isn't cool.

He's badass in that he's hyper-capable at doing the job that needs doing - I get that and like that about him - but the world-view he acts on is so totally broken it counteracts any good impression the former provides. He'd be a pretty cool guy if you didn't know that context.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hahahahahaha. Now I know your trolling, UBW is the shittiest most boring power in the series. It's like Zero Rider's noble phantasm but without being cool. And the time magic was loving sick.

It's being like frickin' megaman but with legendary weapons instead of Doctor Wily's human being rear end robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why couldn't Megaman just copy the robot master retards while fighting them anyway like in the cartoon? It would save me a lot of grief on the Metal Man stage where I could just chuck his blades back at him and instakill the idiot.

• Locked thread