Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

aaaaaag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooper0302
May 25, 2015
Sorry, here's the rest of it. It gets worse...

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=98989899&itype=NGPSID

I don't know how to post pictures yet, but google images has some nightmare inducing pictures when you search for Nutty Putty Death.

Cooper0302 has a new favorite as of 19:58 on May 25, 2015

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Seriously, pictures of people caving almost give me a loving panic attack. gently caress. That.

Cooper0302
May 25, 2015
I agree. gently caress. That.

However I'd also rather have my legs ripped clean off if there was a 1% chance I'd live. And even if I died they'd have something to bury....

Imagine being left in that cave for all eternity. No loving way.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nope nope nope. I skimmed that, not even going there.

Cooper0302
May 25, 2015
Oh go on, you know you want to.....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There's actually a word for that (and a Wiki article!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanpaku

Learn something new every day.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Cooper0302 posted:

Nutty Putty

This is the most horrifying thing I have ever read. By the end I started to feel sick and my hands were shaking.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cooper0302 posted:

I don't know how to post pictures yet, but google images has some nightmare inducing pictures when you search for Nutty Putty Death.

quote:

he loves wide open space," said Emily. "It's so fitting that it's his spot now."

I wouldn't exactly call it fitting

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it fitting

A little too fitting I would say

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

There's actually a word for that (and a Wiki article!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanpaku

I can't be the only one who went and checked out their eyes in the mirror after reading that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Endbringer posted:

I can't be the only one who went and checked out their eyes in the mirror after reading that.

I learned the word waaaay back in high school (80's) art class, when we were doing self portraits, drawn from life in a mirror. The teacher was looking over my drawing, complimenting my work but adding "Y'know JD, when you draw eyes, they don't have whites that go all the way around the iri---" I turn and look up at her --- "OH! Uh, in your case, they do." She told me I had sanpaku and that, according to the Japanese, I was doomed to have bad luck. :smith: While my luck has been pretty terrible, I'm not a psycho nutbar, just 'cause I inherited big wide eyes from my dad (who is not a psychotic serial killer, he spends his retirement years cleaning beaches to save sea turtles :unsmith: ) So don't fret if you got the sanpaku goin' on.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:48 on May 26, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

I learned the word waaaay back in high school (80's) art class, when we were doing self portraits, drawn from life in a mirror. The teacher was looking over my drawing, complimenting my work but adding "Y'know JD, when you draw eyes, they don't have whites that go all the way around the iri---" I turn and look up at her --- "OH! Uh, in your case, they do." She told me I had sanpaku and that, according to the Japanese, I was doomed to have bad luck. :smith: While my luck has been pretty terrible, I'm not a psycho nutbar, just 'cause I inherited big wide eyes from my dad (who is not a psychotic serial killer, he spends his retirement years cleaning beaches to save sea turtles :unsmith: ) So don't fret if you got the sanpaku goin' on.

Feel good story of the thread :unsmith:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Come clean, how many hookers do you have buried in your basement?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Medieval Medic posted:

Come clean, how many hookers do you have buried in your basement?

Look, someday I'm going to grow the best whore tree in the tri-state area, and your negativity cannot stop me.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

The Endbringer posted:

I would be a liar if I said that I never once considered going to my own local scientology center, just to see what it was like.

I apologize if that sounded harsher than the tease I meant it to be, my friend.

EDIT:

Because I know for a fact that if I ever DO check out that ... do you call it a church? Whatever. If I ever do check out that church, I'll probably be unable to escape for hours on end as well.

Because, you know,

I regret doing it because you really shouldn't mess with crazy and they are insane.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a thing-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

quote:

Ursula and Sabina Eriksson are Swedish twin sisters (born 1967) who came to national attention in the United Kingdom in May 2008 after an apparent episode of folie ŕ deux (or "shared psychosis"), a rare psychiatric disorder in which delusional beliefs are transmitted from one individual to another, which resulted in a series of bizarre incidents on the M6 motorway and the subsequent murder of Glenn Hollinshead of Fenton, Staffordshire. There was no evidence that drugs or alcohol were involved in the incidents on the M6 or the death of Hollinshead.[1][2][3]

A lot of this was filmed by a TV crew who were on scene, there was a documentary about it too....the footage of her running into the motorway and into the path of an articulted lorry is on Youtube, around the 1:20 mark. It's not particularly graphic but it's still pretty disturbing to see.
(edited out coz it is the same video as the one I posted below)

Here is the doc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpFWiEx3eo

Rondette has a new favorite as of 11:13 on May 27, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Your first video there is just the first 10 minutes of the second.

I picked up a book about Transient Mental Illnesses a while back, Mad Travellers, interesting stuff, it's all about how certain mental delusions can suddenly spread through the population before dying out again.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Cooper0302 posted:

I read both parts of the article. Good god drat. I can't even imagine. I almost want to see a diagram, but part of me knows that is a terrible idea.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

New Leaf posted:

I read both parts of the article. Good god drat. I can't even imagine. I almost want to see a diagram, but part of me knows that is a terrible idea.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

more!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ZNSaq

There ya go. It's a creepy little story, but I never thought it was as good as the internet makes it out to be.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ZNSaq

There ya go. It's a creepy little story, but I never thought it was as good as the internet makes it out to be.

Junji Ito is really good at horror stuff, but it's more "weird" than "scary."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
See also: the death fart circus.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kurtofan posted:

death fart circus.
I need a namechange.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
The arcade game "Polybius". There's no evidence this game existed at all but it's still a creepy urban legend, complete with insanity and shady Men in Black coming around to get information from the machines:.

quote:

The story tells of an unheard-of new arcade game appearing in several suburbs of Portland, Oregon in 1981, something of a rarity at the time. The game is described as proving popular to the point of addiction, with lines forming around the machines often resulting in fighting over who would play next. The urban legend describes how the machines were visited by men in black, who collected unknown data from the machines, allegedly testing responses to the game's psychoactive effects. Players supposedly suffered from a series of unpleasant side effects, including amnesia, insomnia, stress, nightmares and night terrors. The story tells of how Polybius players stopped playing video games, while one became an anti-gaming activist. The company named in most accounts of the game is Sinneslöschen.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kurtofan posted:

See also: the death fart circus.

Please elaborate.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
What happens when a bunch of rural 19th century Americans start suffering from tuberculosis outbreaks? Why, they blame it on vampires of course!

quote:

The New England vampire panic was the reaction to an outbreak of tuberculosis in the 19th century across Rhode Island, eastern Connecticut, Vermont and other parts of New England. Consumption was thought to be caused by the deceased consuming the life of their surviving relatives. Bodies were exhumed and internal organs ritually burned to stop the "vampire" from attacking the local population and prevent the spread of the disease [...]

The infection spreads easily among a family; thus when one family member died of consumption, other members were often infected and gradually lost their health. People believed that this was due to the deceased TB sufferer draining the life from other family members. The belief that consumption was spread in this way was widely held in New England and in Europe.

In an attempt to protect the survivors and ward off the effects of consumption, bodies of those who had died of the disease were exhumed and examined. The corpse was deemed to be feeding on the living if it was determined to be unusually fresh, especially if the heart or other organs contained liquid blood. After the culprit was identified, there were a number of proposed ways to stop the attacks. The most benign of these was simply to turn the body over in its grave. In other cases, families would burn the "fresh" organs and rebury the body; occasionally the body would be decapitated. Affected family members would also inhale smoke from the burned organs or consume the ashes in a further attempt to cure the consumption.

The most famous case was the Mercy Brown incident, in which a 19 year old girl was exhumed, her heart was cut out and burned, and the ashes were fed to her brother (who died anyway because that's not how you cure TB).

Astonishingly, no one yet seems to have used "The New England Vampire Panic" as a band name.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

pookel posted:

Please elaborate.

Gyo by Junji Ito.

Gas takes over the world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pookel posted:

Please elaborate.

Ito wrote a short series about a bacteria which infects animals (starting with sea life) that controls them through the expulsion of gases (the bacteria kills the host but is able to keep them moving because of the gas.) The bacteria eventually spreads to land and starts infecting people and the main character comes across a circus full of infected people doing bizarre stuff because of the farts put out by the bacteria.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

bean_shadow posted:

The arcade game "Polybius". There's no evidence this game existed at all but it's still a creepy urban legend, complete with insanity and shady Men in Black coming around to get information from the machines:.

That story was a lot creepier before Google had so thoroughly indexed the internet that you can debunk all the cool myths in like twenty keystrokes. Another favorite creepy video game legend: Killswitch.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I need a namechange.

don't muscle in on my territory

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bean_shadow posted:

Then of course there's Berzerk, an actual classic arcade game with an actual body count

quote:

Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players. In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high score of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski made the Berzerk top-ten list twice in fifteen minutes, just a few seconds before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are unknown.[11]

Playing Berzerk for awhile made me understand why. gently caress Evil Otto so hard. He can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, and absolutely will not stop until you either run out of quarters or fall to the floor in front of the cabinet.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bean_shadow posted:

Fun Fact: During that time period in Portland the feds were running a sting operation trying to crack down on illegal gambling rings based in Arcades. They even went as far as installing hidden cameras in cabinets to try and catch drug deals and in one case ran an entire Arcade as a front operation.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

His high scores are unknown

The biggest tragedy.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

That story was a lot creepier before Google had so thoroughly indexed the internet that you can debunk all the cool myths in like twenty keystrokes. Another favorite creepy video game legend: Killswitch.

Aw man, the Killswitch story is just fantastic. The whole idea of the Karvina Corp being this tiny band of rebel game artists in a shithole Soviet-occupied town is crazy romantic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Fun Fact: During that time period in Portland the feds were running a sting operation trying to crack down on illegal gambling rings based in Arcades. They even went as far as installing hidden cameras in cabinets to try and catch drug deals and in one case ran an entire Arcade as a front operation.

Something that most people probably would be surprised to learn was how pinball used to be illegal in big cities for quite a long time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Something that most people probably would be surprised to learn was how pinball used to be illegal in big cities for quite a long time.

There were still places police were raiding because of pinball in the late 70s

edit: and apparently Nashville still had a ban on children under 18 even being within 10 feet of a pinball machine up until a few years back, and it's still illegal to play pinball on Sunday in Ocean City NJ

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 20:48 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Plethora posted:

Aw man, the Killswitch story is just fantastic. The whole idea of the Karvina Corp being this tiny band of rebel game artists in a shithole Soviet-occupied town is crazy romantic.

Huh, interesting. This is (adapted from?) a short story by science fiction/fantasy author Catherynne Valente. I wonder how it ended up online with no attribution well some googling solved that :stare:

General Battuta has a new favorite as of 01:58 on May 30, 2015