Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

bull3964 posted:

My commute is 18 miles and I'm able to do it in 25 minutes like clockwork unless a fairly major accident or road closure happens. For half of my commute in the morning (later half) and half in the afternoon (first half) I'm running counter-flow to the normal traffic patterns which is great. On the way home I can silently gloat at all the people sitting in standstill traffic waiting to go through the tunnels while I zoom home at 70mph.

Protip. If you ever move to the Pittsburgh area, live north. Any other direction, you will hate your life.

Yeah I live south and I drove to the north shore today. Left my house at about 9, got there just about 10. And that was with pretty light traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: clients who want to define costs using parameters that are invalid, and then complain about the cost.

I have a client who wants to do A Thing in a certain number of geographies. The cost of doing The Thing is not dependent on the number of geographies. They thought the first cost was too high, and so said, "Well, how about we do this in 5 geographies instead of 20?" We pointed out again that whether 1 or a billion, the number of geographies is simply not a variable that drives cost for The Thing.

Why is this so hard?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: clients who want to define costs using parameters that are invalid, and then complain about the cost.

I have a client who wants to do A Thing in a certain number of geographies. The cost of doing The Thing is not dependent on the number of geographies. They thought the first cost was too high, and so said, "Well, how about we do this in 5 geographies instead of 20?" We pointed out again that whether 1 or a billion, the number of geographies is simply not a variable that drives cost for The Thing.

Why is this so hard?

This should help get your point across.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The green line should trend down because of economies of scale!! :downs:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm pretty tired, as a sys admin, of discovering problems that our operations team should have found.

Hey NOC, did you notice this log rolling over every 5 minutes, being filled with errors, for the past 3 days? No? Huh, that's strange, because I noticed the first time I looked, and I wasn't even looking.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm pretty tired, as a sys admin, of discovering problems that our operations team should have found.

Hey NOC, did you notice this log rolling over every 5 minutes, being filled with errors, for the past 3 days? No? Huh, that's strange, because I noticed the first time I looked, and I wasn't even looking.

I always thought NOC was shorthand for "The people who press the reset button when the real ops people are busy with other poo poo, and if that doesn't fix it they page someone"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm guilty of using NOC and operations interchangeably. In my organization, think of it like this - there's me and my guys. We'll build you what you need, and it'll be perfect when we hand it off. Then operations or the NOC, whichever you like, monitors and manages it. If anything is colossally wrong, they can send it back to me to fix it, but they need to at least be identifying that something is wrong.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things pissing me off:

Ever since the company changed it's operations, they started readjusting what issues go to whom. We managed to score exclusivity over one issue, but others got delegated to other departments instead.
Being a call-center IT - call volume is important and they killed ours. It's been low for over a year. So far they've been letting attrition work on it (mostly hiring into higher level positions, although one guy they refused to help renew his work visa, so had to leave the US). But call volume is still low.
So this may be the :yotj: for me. I would at least be given to apply for other positions internally (lateral movement at least) but otherwise I'd possibly be laid off.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Things that are pissing me off:

- My company put way too much business process in SFDC including some financial functions (why? because management are stupid) and are thinking of going public. So a huge amount of red tape has been thrown around quickly which means a system that is marketed as No Software and being easy and quick to update is now on monthly releases going through a full regression cycle. It is a CRM system not an ERP system despite the fact you idiots built one in it.
- Those in charge of this new process are a pair of recent university grads who think they are hot poo poo and are constantly rude to other developers. They tried this with me but decided to be polite in future after I gave them a bollocking with their boss. It just all adds to the stress.
- One project I have been working on with SFDC involved a new system to route leads which was being provided by an external consultancy and was due to go live April 2014. In May 2015 it went live and only does about half of what was asked and already has a number of he end users asking if we can get rid of it and use the old system because the new one is too complicated.
- I have to work on this system with 5 other teams and are in a constant thunderdome of finger pointing when things break because with working relationships basically turning into grudges and open shouting contests on a near weekly basis. Which is related to points 1 and 2.
- My team is chronically understaffed and the answer to this is to setup a team for me to work with in India... gently caress off

I have to keep telling myself that all I need to do is survive until Q4 this year then I can get a new job.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Thing pissing me off today:

I ran some reports in Zendesk showing how many tickets taken and their times to resolution for each month of the year so far to show that I've taken on a pretty huge workload and they really need to get back on hiring a helpdesk guy.

Average helpdesk/1st tier ticket count I took from Jan 1 to Apr 13 (when helpdesk guy was termed), which doesn't include projects or sysadmin tasks: 35/mo
Average I took from Apr 14 to present: 160

Average count for terminated helpdesk guy: 79.5

Continuing to piss me off - stuff that happens outside our ticketing system, which I've been tracking since he was termed.

Apr 14-30:
7 tickets originated from walk-ups/calls after the fact
2 tickets had calls/walk-ups after being submitted
11 non-support requests received no tickets
8 walk-ups/calls never had a ticket submitted

May to date:
11 tickets originated from walk-ups/calls after the fact
4 tickets had calls/walk-ups after being submitted
20 non-support requests received no tickets
39 walk-ups/calls never had a ticket submitted

Average ticket response time pre-termination: 14.94 hours
Average ticket response time post-termination: 46.2 hours

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 27, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo pissing me off:

I come in today, and my email won't log in via IMAP, tho if I use outlook instead of thunderbird, everything is fine. Notice when I send an email via ticket that its putting some random email address is as me, so I look up my email address.

They took it from me, and gave it to some intern :negative:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Faxes and printers are pissing me off. loving ancient voodoo. We can see all the faxes sent and received and for all of them I'm just thinking "Why the gently caress didn't you just send an e-mail?"

Not pissing me off: The stack of new switches to replace our old switches (EOL 2012). Time to actually document our environment!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I come in today, and my email won't log in via IMAP, tho if I use outlook instead of thunderbird, everything is fine. Notice when I send an email via ticket that its putting some random email address is as me, so I look up my email address.

How the hell does that even happen :stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

they fired you and forgot to notify you. hold on to your stapler.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Actually, turns out that someone saw the new intern and thought I had been converted from contractor to full time.

:commissar:

loving helldesk

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Things pissing me off:

Got called to assist a PM do some log analysis of a client problem. So I show him one log, indicate that there's an irregularity relating to another processes, so he interrupts me to tell me what the problem is. No, we need to check the next processes. We find the corresponding irregularity in that log, so he interrupts me again to tell me the problem, but no, stop it and let me just show you. I hate being interrupted by people who try to complete what I'm saying but are wrong. If you knew, then why did you need me to look at it?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

RFC2324 posted:

Actually, turns out that someone told the loving helldesk that the new intern will be replacing me and they jumped the gun.

:suicide:

Fixed that for you.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Things the new version of our main clinical application does not do:
  • Work
  • Like, at all
The vendor seems confused as to what exactly their program does and requires. Spirits are low.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So I have spent the past few months writing tons of user documents. I was specifically told to make it technical, dry, and avoid slang. Now it is too unfriendly and needs more company buzzwords.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Something else pissing me of:

How many of you have had someone call a vendor in an attempt to go through the support process to try to get a free environmental setup. I don't mean like basic config. I mean levels of High Availability Cluster fallover not working as expected?

I mean, there's a difference in simply asking for assistance on that, and demanding us to do your work for you.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 27, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lightning Jim posted:

How many of you have had someone call a vendor in an attempt to go through the support process to try to get a free environmental setup. I don't mean like basic config. I mean levels of High Availability Cluster fallover not working as expected?

I mean, there's a difference in simply asking for assistance on that, and demanding us to do your work for you.

If it's not part of their support agreement, that's some balls.

I mean, sure we have some vendors we'll dial up and say "hey, this isn't working how the documentation states it will" and then we have web-meeting pow-wows with the engineering team. But we pay out the rear end for that level of support as part of our service contract with them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lightning Jim posted:

My group doesn't, but its not uncommon for our overseas IT groups to decide one of their servers, which is out of warranty by years and has an OS only service contract, is going to be fixed/replaced for free by Oracle.

And when Oracle(rightfully) laughs at them for it, they come running to us asking how we get them to help us(we don't, we have competent hardware techs who can fix/replace any issue there)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

flosofl posted:

I mean, sure we have some vendors we'll dial up and say "hey, this isn't working how the documentation states it will" and then we have web-meeting pow-wows with the engineering team. But we pay out the rear end for that level of support as part of our service contract with them.

Things that piss me off: when vendors have "production" and "development" environments.

Which is to say, only those two. "Oh, you were doing pre-production testing against our non-production environment and someone checked in some bad code on our side and left for a week vacation? Whoops, too bad, that's just how that environment goes ohohohoho"

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
poo poo pissing me off: my boss telling me that we should use TrueCrypt on our machines. Never mind the fact that I've told him it's no longer supported, or that the TrueCrypt website says in no uncertain terms to not use it. God forbid we spend money to properly encrypt stuff.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Lightning Jim posted:

At the telecom vendor I worked for, they outsourced a lot of stuff to Indian companies. These companies also ran call centers, so they bought stuff from us and had labs, etc. At times, we would see them put in support requests for their "production" environment that were really issues we had asked them, as contracted support, to fix. I am simplifying things for brevity and obscuration, but it was sad and hilarious that they were getting paid to do this stuff and had so little of a clue that they had to open support requests to have us set up lab system to duplicate issues, for example.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Today was UPS battery day

Just a tray of 4 from a 1500VA unit easy pull, right?

:argh:

I had to de-rack and disassemble to get this rear end in a top hat out:

:bahgawd:

My predecessor's 5-8 year battery replacement cycle may not have been such a good idea. He also said "yeah, just put RBC17's in EVERYTHING". They seem to fit, but their VA ratings differ from the originals.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

beepsandboops posted:

poo poo pissing me off: my boss telling me that we should use TrueCrypt on our machines. Never mind the fact that I've told him it's no longer supported, or that the TrueCrypt website says in no uncertain terms to not use it. God forbid we spend money to properly encrypt stuff.

Hasn't the TrueCrypt audit basically found it to have a few minor mistakes but otherwise be pretty reasonable? If your company isn't the potential target of a national intelligence agency, you're probably fine with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

Hasn't the TrueCrypt audit basically found it to have a few minor mistakes but otherwise be pretty reasonable? If your company isn't the potential target of a national intelligence agency, you're probably fine with it.

On the other hand it will have 0 support for future changes in computing. For example, I've heard that it really doesn't play nice with GPT partitioned drives and thus with many Windows installs on machines with working UEFI.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Nintendo Kid posted:

On the other hand it will have 0 support for future changes in computing. For example, I've heard that it really doesn't play nice with GPT partitioned drives and thus with many Windows installs on machines with working UEFI.

Implementing GPT and UEFI support (and the pain therein) is the commonly-cited speculation for why they abandoned the project in the first place. Great tool, but they just didn't want to keep it up anymore. The website note is there as future-proofing because all software has bugs and in the absence of updates, the statements about unpatched vulnerabilities will eventually become true.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Who in the gently caress thought a RAID 5 array of 10 1TB SATA 7.2K drives was a good idea. The array is now 43 hours into the rebuild and it's only 70% done. Bonus points, this array is split into 5 logical drives, one of which is C:\... Bonus points round 2, it's their backup media server which also houses the backup software config db. :psyboom:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Harry Lime posted:

Who in the gently caress thought a RAID 5 array of 10 1TB SATA 7.2K drives was a good idea. The array is now 43 hours into the rebuild and it's only 70% done. Bonus points, this array is split into 5 logical drives, one of which is C:\... Bonus points round 2, it's their backup media server which also houses the backup software config db. :psyboom:

jesus christ :suicide:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Should I not have made a 14x1tb 7.2k sas RAID6 yesterday? :shobon:

Boss took some convincing to not make me make it a 5. 50 might have been better.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Should I not have made a 14x1tb 7.2k sas RAID6 yesterday? :shobon:

Boss took some convincing to not make me make it a 5. 50 might have been better.

No. And no.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Eh, that isn't unreasonable for archival storage. The biggest risk with a volume that size is that you're going to end up with badly degraded performance when you lose one of those disks. And with 14 in the array, that's a lot of opportunities for failure. At least a 12+2 RAID array has a reasonable stripe width compared to a weird odd number or something.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2015

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I deployed a 45 drives pod with 45 4TB Drives, 3x RAID 6 devices striped, with linux' md raid at my last job.
Probably not ideal... It was only used for long term backup storage.

Sorry future <workplace> sysadmins!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I don't see the problem with a setup like that as long as you use drives rated for server/raid use. But don't even consider using anything less than RAID6 for storage. Two parity drives decrease the risk of data loss by orders of magnitude compared to having one parity drive.

None of this negates the need of having proper backups though.

For my home poo poo I run 10x4TB WD Red drives in RAID6, with backups on an older 16x1.5TB RAID6 array (mostly kept offline/unplugged) and on glacier.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

theperminator posted:

I deployed a 45 drives pod with 45 4TB Drives, 3x RAID 6 devices striped, with linux' md raid at my last job.
Probably not ideal... It was only used for long term backup storage.

Sorry future <workplace> sysadmins!

I did something similar at my old job with 45 3TB drives in 2 RAID6 sets and two global hot spares. Worked like a charm for keeping backups of overflowing data while we shopped for a new (real) backup solution. Rebuild time was 7 days when I had a disk fail. Ouch.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Which model pod did you have?

I had the pod 3.0 or 4.0 or whatever with the direct wire backplane, when i triggered a rebuild of one of the sets it was a day to rebuild but that was without writes going to the array at the same time.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Wibla posted:

For my home poo poo I run 10x4TB WD Red drives in RAID6, with backups on an older 16x1.5TB RAID6 array (mostly kept offline/unplugged) and on glacier.

I've always wondered what people could possibly have that they need RAID arrays at home.

I mean, I've got media, steam games, and so on, but realistically speaking I've probably only got like 500MB of "things that are irreplacable" that are backed up and synced in 4 or 5 different locations including remotely, 200GB of "things that I would be very irritated if I lost all copies of" that are backed up in 2 locations and occasionally synced in 2 more, and everything else is "if I lose it I can just find it online somewhere again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah, about a month ago I lost a drive and got into a head space where I was like, okay I obviously need a dedicated NAS with offsite backups and enterprise level SLA. Then I snapped back, wait, I'm just downloading things on the internet - I may not want the inconvenience of losing them again, but this is nothing that an external drive couldn't handle. I've got myself a batch file with a few robocopy commands that I run whenever I feel like, and we're good to go. Things that are truly important are in 3 locations, everything else is in 2, but it required nothing more complicated than an external drive.

I occasionally think I would like to roll my own SAN for my home lab, but even that is unnecessary when I'm honest with myself. Yeah, I run 30 VMs across 2 servers when everything's up and humming, but it's not like they're doing anything. 2 domain controllers and 2 SQL servers with replication, for a single person, the load is laughable. VMs start slower, but again, I am one person and can do one thing at a time, so it's not like I need the speed.