Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFXIII stuff:

Is Fang's Saboteur role generally worth running during storyline or should she just stick to COM/SEN 24/7? Slow and Curse are nice and all but I don't know if it's worth using the time to debilitate instead of just bursting enemies down and switching to a paradigm with MED when necessary, especially given SAB's kinda crummy AI.

You should probably keep at least one paradigm where you have her available as a SAB because she is the only person who gets Slow without going into side roles, but in general yeah, Vanille is a better SAB. The longer, more complex answer is "It depends on who your party is, what you're focusing them on, what your paradigm deck looks like, etc, etc"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My level 1 game was on console. I beat Ozma.
i couldn't beat ozma even at level 99.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Endorph posted:

i couldn't beat ozma even at level 99.

From what I understand, Ozma is just as much of a pain in the rear end at level 1 as he is at level 99.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sordas Volantyr posted:

From what I understand, Ozma is just as much of a pain in the rear end at level 1 as he is at level 99.

Pretty much. Meteor and Curse will gently caress you up regardless of your HP totals, Doomsday is either nulled or a OHKO, Holy and Flare just deal way too much damage, and Flare Star is easier to get through if it's only dealing 50 instead of 4950.

The only advantages you get from being level 99 is that getting Berserked doesn't make Zidane nigh useless and that things like Eiko's Holy isn't just bait for the Curaga counter.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is it true that at level 1 you can only beat certain bosses with specific teams? I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that some bosses were impossible unless you had Freya and Eiko on your party.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gologle posted:

Is it true that at level 1 you can only beat certain bosses with specific teams? I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that some bosses were impossible unless you had Freya and Eiko on your party.

Zidane, Freya, and Quina have attacks that can deal a fixed 9,999 damage regardless of level, and are all but essential once you get them going. Eiko is the preferred 4th member as Rebirth Flame can save you from an unlucky wipe but isn't strictly mandatory, but really who else are you going to use?

Let's see, every point where you have control over the party's composition...

The return to the Iifa Tree at the end of disc 2 requires Vivi to Stop the Mistodons and Amarant's Chakra is drat useful for trying that so it's mostly which white mage sits out. You take a mage, probably Dagger since she really can't cast anyway, to Oeilvert as with the Light Robe's sheer defense they can become unkillable against Ark. You're forced to have Vivi for Meltigemini (and he can handle the Red Dragons relatively well anyway) so you take Freya and Quina to win ASAP as Viral Smoke one-shots your party.

It's funny because your response to Eiko being captured is to become zombies then murder some dragons then go and rescue her.

After that it's Zindane/Freya/Quina as they are your only real sources of damage that keep up with enemy HP and Eiko is the only remaining character with utility besides flinging phoenix downs and ethers with her pinions/256 chance of avoiding a game over.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That sounds like a brutal playthrough.

So 4 and 7 are the Best Final Fantasies, 4 because it has a great if simple story and set of characters (lot of nostalgia here but whatever, gently caress it) and 7 because I too like the silly 3D sprites and all the ridiculous set pieces and the materia system is second only to the job system in its awesomeness. They both have my favorite music in the series and the best part of an HD 7 would be a modernized OST. 6 and 9 are also great and both ooze charm but maybe it's the lack of nostalgia but I don't quite enjoy them as much.

Really, I like all the Final Fantasy games except 13. Even 8 has a lot of neat things about it even if the battle and progression systems are a clusterfuck I broke on my first time through and the story/characters aren't as interesting as other titles. It had some great music and set pieces almost on par with 7. ARR is also the only MMO that I quit because of lack of time to play it and not because I was disgusted with it and myself.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFXIII stuff:

Is Fang's Saboteur role generally worth running during storyline or should she just stick to COM/SEN 24/7? Slow and Curse are nice and all but I don't know if it's worth using the time to debilitate instead of just bursting enemies down and switching to a paradigm with MED when necessary, especially given SAB's kinda crummy AI.

Are you killing trash or fighting a worthy foe? A surpringly high number of enemies can be hit with Pain or Fog and then totally ignored or beat on with impunity. You really want to (gasp!) do this manually though. Fang's SAB role is my priority and it helps trivialize early hunts with high damage output when you first land in Chapter 11.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sunning posted:

Except for Capcom.

Wait, you mean to tell me that Rockman Xover isn't doing well? :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

IN STUNNING 15 FRAMES PER SECOND

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

A true cinematic experience. Gamers are entitled babies for wanting more frames than 5 frames per second.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

Final Fantasy Agito coming to Windows 10

Final Fantasy Agito, which is currently available on iOS and Android smartphones in Japan, is coming to Windows 10 later this year, Square Enix announced.

The news comes via Microsoft’s “De:code 2015″ event that kicked off in Tokyo yesterday (and runs for another day today).

Final Fantasy Agito is a free-to-play game set in the world of Final Fantasy Type-0. An English version is on the way, and in Japan, a PS Vita version called Final Fantasy Agito+ is also in development.

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/final-fantasy-agito-coming-windows-10

To clarify, Final Fantasy Agito was the original name of Final Fantasy Type-0 back when it was a feature phone game. This Final Fantasy Agito that was released recently last year in Japan is a F2P game for mobile platforms that reuses Type-0's setting art. It's said to be based on the original Agito when it was conceived as a mobile game based around social features. It was initially released on iOS/ANdroid and is now on Windows 10.

At the de:code event, the Agni's Philosophy tech demo from earlier was shown again. Hajime Tabata also attended the event to showcase Luminous Studios and promote DirextX 12. Is it just me or is he wearing a shirt with the NVIDIA logo?

Furthermore, Final Fantasy Mobius will released June 4th in Japan.

Xad posted:

Wait, you mean to tell me that Rockman Xover isn't doing well? :v:

There's an absolute graveyard of Capcom mobile games that have been killed after 8-12 months of service. The company is good at identifying trends and chasing after high-growth markets. However, successfully launching in those markets and ensuring long term success seems to elude them.

The most comical thing about Capcom's continued lack of success is that they've probably been one of the more active developers in redirecting resources to mobile game development. They moved mobile development in-house after outsourcing resulted in poor quality. Their better performing mobile games were licensed properties (Smurfs, Snoopy/Peanuts by Beeline Interactive) so they began making more Capcom IP mobile games. They spent tens of millions on new R&D buildings with a good portion set aside for mobile development. They plan on using their new internal staff to make F2P mobile/browser/PC games aimed at emerging and mature markets in mainland Asia. Yet, they haven't had a major success since Smurf's Village.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

uhhhhh outside of battle its 30fps idiot

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

corn in the bible posted:

uhhhhh outside of battle its 30fps idiot

and 60fps when you select autobattle :shepface:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

lightning returns port is looking great

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If Microsoft money can keep Final Fantasy going, let it flow. Hurl tens of millions at them to make unplayed Windows phone ports of $50k games so that we can enjoy the actual video games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

and 60fps when you select autobattle :shepface:

that's because the animations are tied to the fps, so they can speed battles up just by raising the fps

also i sold a foil after years card for ten bucks, so that's cool

i feel like i'm the only person who actually bought the after years port, so i'll write up some reactions later if you're interested

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

that's because the animations are tied to the fps, so they can speed battles up just by raising the fps

also i sold a foil after years card for ten bucks, so that's cool

i feel like i'm the only person who actually bought the after years port, so i'll write up some reactions later if you're interested

its bad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it cost me almos nothing b/c cardz

Mega64
May 23, 2008

People go apeshit for Ceodore holos.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I did! Haven't played it yet, though.

(I actually kind of enjoyed TAY)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I did! Haven't played it yet, though.

(I actually kind of enjoyed TAY)

depending on what you like, it's improved in some ways and worse in others. bands are much, much better and actually usable in a sane way -- you gain them by fighting battles with the appropriate characters in your party, and you can see if the characters you've got have bands you have yet to unlock, and how many battles you have left to get them. they also level up over time. the result is that, rather than something you either ignored or used a guide for, bands are useful and -- assuming you think about which characters are connected -- relatively easy to find. like, did you know izayoi and gekkou had a band that speeds up the whole party? i sure didn't, but they do! this is the most obvious and meaningful improvement over the original.

the script has also been edited to take advantage of the increased character limit, and in some cases to give characters more personality -- this is especially obvious in edge's chapter, where he gets to be a bit more fun and the boring ninjas at least get a bit of characterization -- but it's not much. they're in 3d, of course, so they also get animations and reactions beyond what the sprites could handle. i guess if you liked the story, then you'll benefit from this.

biggest problem: cameo bosses and challenge dungeons are gone. it sucks. and the "new" areas, the ones not in ff4, sometimes look appreciably worse than the ff4ds areas. but they did take the opportunity to improve them from the original ff4-2! the lovely teleporter maze in the devil's road, for example, still has teleporters -- but no branching paths, so you can't get lost or sent back to the start.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

If Microsoft money can keep Final Fantasy going, let it flow. Hurl tens of millions at them to make unplayed Windows phone ports of $50k games so that we can enjoy the actual video games.

I don't think any money was exchanged for the game. Final Fantasy Agito runs on the Unity engine which allows for easy ports to Windows. While Windows Phones aren't exactly popular, Surface tablets have done well as enterprise and light gaming machines. With Windows 10 being a free upgrade to Windows 7/8 users, it's probably a good idea to enter the Windows 10 ecosystem. The Windows app store in Windows 10 will allow games to be synced across different devices and allows for cross platform play.

Microsoft and Square-Enix are probably working together to get games running on Directx 12. The new Deus Ex game will have DX12 support on PC. With Luminous Studios having DX12 support, a FFXV for PC announcement wouldn't come off as too much a surprise.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

biggest problem: cameo bosses and challenge dungeons are gone. it sucks. and the "new" areas, the ones not in ff4, sometimes look appreciably worse than the ff4ds areas. but they did take the opportunity to improve them from the original ff4-2! the lovely teleporter maze in the devil's road, for example, still has teleporters -- but no branching paths, so you can't get lost or sent back to the start.

I'm not particularly torn up about the challenge dungeons being gone or the cameo bosses, but I know some weapons and stuff were only available that way. Are they just not in the game anymore, or did they get placed elsewhere that you know of?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm not particularly torn up about the challenge dungeons being gone or the cameo bosses, but I know some weapons and stuff were only available that way. Are they just not in the game anymore, or did they get placed elsewhere that you know of?

That I don't know. It's possible they were moved to the final tale, which I haven't unlocked yet (they changed it so that completing tales unlocks later ones, to keep the narrative going), but they don't seem to be available in the regular tales. The colored tails are, though, and you get achievements for trading them (hooray...)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

I don't think any money was exchanged for the game. Final Fantasy Agito runs on the Unity engine which allows for easy ports to Windows. While Windows Phones aren't exactly popular, Surface tablets have done well as enterprise and light gaming machines. With Windows 10 being a free upgrade to Windows 7/8 users, it's probably a good idea to enter the Windows 10 ecosystem. The Windows app store in Windows 10 will allow games to be synced across different devices and allows for cross platform play.

Microsoft and Square-Enix are probably working together to get games running on Directx 12. The new Deus Ex game will have DX12 support on PC. With Luminous Studios having DX12 support, a FFXV for PC announcement wouldn't come off as too much a surprise.

I guess they're getting that timed exclusive money with Tomb Raider. It's great and all that more SE games are coming to Windows but going in on Microsoft ecosystem stuff seems a little risky right now without pay. The Windows tablets are doing well but I imagine that's less about new users and just grabbing back users who were abandoning their Windows desktops or laptops for any tablet.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
What risk is there? The Unity engine allows them to port games to multiple platforms and update simultaneously them with minimal hassle. Agito is a F2P game and benefits from being on as many different platforms as possible. Furthermore, Windows 10 has made a huge effort to make iOS and Android apps easily transferable to new OS through middleware and other tools. It's mutually beneficial for them to have Square-Enix's titles running on Windows 10 compatible devices since they get access to a large userbase out of the gate and Microsoft gets their 30% royalties of in-app purchases. The F2P industry is a monopsony so there is little motivation or even leverage for Square-Enix in playing hardball with a powerful business partner who can have their game running on millions of devices.

It's a lot less risky than developing a JRPG like Star Ocean 5 for PS3/PS4 in the current market.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

It's a lot less risky than developing a JRPG like Star Ocean 5 for PS3/PS4 in the current market.

I'll agree to that for sure but since MS is in somewhat to greatly vulnerable market positions in most of their operations and releasing on multiple platforms isn't totally effortless even with Unity and various middle ware solutions, it isn't risk-free to develop for them. There's also the fact that the smaller the project, the more proportional work goes into hitting multiple platforms. For small and medium mobile developers (and projects), hitting the 90+% mobile market share that is iOS/Android is an extremely high priority and makes sense. Hitting Windows Phone is enough to increase the effort by usually at least 10% (and usually substantially more) and when you're talking about single digit market share, it doesn't always make sense.

Considering SE is looking at small-scale projects, it'd make sense to try to get as many benefits out of MS as possible since they have the leverage to not only do it but also the proven ability to get MS some results down the road.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 28, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

good proofreading

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IIRC, we never got the old king's name, other than his Esper name, Odin, and his imposter name. So who knows, maybe his human name really was Baron From. Who are you to judge? It's Italian.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Is it explicitly said that the non-imposter king of Baron was Odin? I don't remember this but it's been a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

bloodychill posted:

Is it explicitly said that the non-imposter king of Baron was Odin? I don't remember this but it's been a while.

It is, but the whole thing is a little weird. He says that getting killed gave him the power to help you, but he has to test you first. Sounds like dying turned him into Odin, the summoned monster.

The original translation gives his name as "King Baron" both before and after the fight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally got around to installing FFXIII-2. Any word on when/if Lightning Returns will hit steam? I notice 15 is on steam's list now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nuebot posted:

I notice 15 is on steam's list now.

What

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My mistake, it was some kind of expansion for 14 or something. I just don't know my roman numerals.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heavensward is not FF15, sorry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Heavensward is not FF15, sorry.

It should be.

good proofreading

This should be your next Let's Play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It should be.

This should be your next Let's Play.

i was thinking about it but i think someone already did an lp of the original ff4-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

depending on what you like, it's improved in some ways and worse in others. bands are much, much better and actually usable in a sane way -- you gain them by fighting battles with the appropriate characters in your party, and you can see if the characters you've got have bands you have yet to unlock, and how many battles you have left to get them. they also level up over time. the result is that, rather than something you either ignored or used a guide for, bands are useful and -- assuming you think about which characters are connected -- relatively easy to find. like, did you know izayoi and gekkou had a band that speeds up the whole party? i sure didn't, but they do! this is the most obvious and meaningful improvement over the original.

the script has also been edited to take advantage of the increased character limit, and in some cases to give characters more personality -- this is especially obvious in edge's chapter, where he gets to be a bit more fun and the boring ninjas at least get a bit of characterization -- but it's not much. they're in 3d, of course, so they also get animations and reactions beyond what the sprites could handle. i guess if you liked the story, then you'll benefit from this.

I haven't played the steam port but I did play the 3d remake on tablet that the port is uh, porting.

I kind of like/hated the challenge modes, so I didn't miss them much, but they didn't put anything in to replace them in terms of exp, so you end up on the moon with dudes that are brutally too low level to be useful, so for example wanting to do my palom/porom/ursula/leonora/luca party was a huge pain in the rear end since they werent the proper level from doing the challenge dungeons, so I had to spend like an hour or two just slowly grinding poo poo on the moon and healing at the whale.

I still think the PSP port is the best version of 4 and TAY.

Lookit them non-ugly 2d graphics... I wanna boot it up and play it again but my PSP is in awful, awful shape, and I don't particularly care about upgrading or replacing it. Oh well.

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 28, 2015