Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Offkorn posted:

Rayearth (OVAs):

Early nineties art when everyone was super-intense and had sharp eyes were baller as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What show are these adorable little bastards from?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mawaru peguindrum

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
how do you guys who make gifs pull the frames out of an mkv? doing it using the snapshot function is tedious and i haven't been able to get the scene filter to work right.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

how do you guys who make gifs pull the frames out of an mkv? doing it using the snapshot function is tedious and i haven't been able to get the scene filter to work right.

ScreenToGif is pretty good for quick and dirty gif capture, as long as you match the frame rate up with the source

Later versions of Photoshop can import some movie files; use Handbrake to transcoded a short segment of a mkv to mp4 and then export gif from PS. Same process but with After Effects before PS for anything fancy / tricky looping

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Triangle posted:

i havent done gifs in a long time but usually i used the freemake mkv converter to convert it into avi, then the avd video processor to capture the frames and then jasc animation studio to make them into a gif

its sounds complicated and theres probably a way easier method by now, but it worked for me and the gifs had no quality loss at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

I use gifcam but the colors usually come out a little weird. It works for quick and easy stuff though

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Triangle posted:

I use VirtualDub to grab frames, and this plugin lets it support nearly any video type.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm never happy with how some of my gifs turn out. Do later versions of photoshop (I'm using CS5) do a better job optimizing gifs?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
thanks everyone, tried virtualdub but couldn't figure it out, so i think i'm going to try kmplayer to pull the frames since i've heard it makes it pretty easy. i'm weird about quality loss and filesize stuff so i don't wanna use any of those programs that just do all the work for you, or reencode the video in a different format or anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to high quality gifs

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm never happy with how some of my gifs turn out. Do later versions of photoshop (I'm using CS5) do a better job optimizing gifs?

No, the web export has been the same for years. You have to kind of work out what you can sacrifice based of the image content. Most anime can usually get away with 64 colour or less and a bit of loss. Size reduction will always help. Taking out frames (decimation) will help if most of the frames differ from each other. Of course, it's up to you to determine the file size.

This one you posted is kind of jagged around the edges because transparency in the gif format just plain sucks. There's no alpha channel in gif- pixels are either 100% opacity or 0%. So smooth transparent edges are difficult to produce. You can use some tricks like making the edge/border/matte a similar colour to what you expect to be behind it (e.g. prefuse's av)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had to use photoshop and matte for my av, because for some reason jasc animation shop hosed the gif up like this and i nothing i did to fix it worked

also photoshop is pretty bad for resizing animated gifs too, had to resize it with jasc and then stitch every single frame together in photoshop. thank god its a really simple gif

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
yikes your new av is so upsetting to me

i have made a gif

it is still way too big. anything but 256 colors looked really awful in the preview window. is 120 frames just too many? i probably could've done a better job choosing which frames got cut (i just kept every 3rd frame)

edit: once i figured out virtualdub it turned out to be really easy to get the frames, so thanks strange quark

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Triangle posted:

thanks everyone, tried virtualdub but couldn't figure it out, so i think i'm going to try kmplayer to pull the frames since i've heard it makes it pretty easy. i'm weird about quality loss and filesize stuff so i don't wanna use any of those programs that just do all the work for you, or reencode the video in a different format or anything.

What are you having trouble with? I have a tutorial lying around, but the key points are:

1. You downloaded the FFInputDriver.vdplugin, correct? Make sure it's in VirtualDub's plugins folder (named something like plugins32).
2. Open up your source video with File > Open video file.
3. On the bottom row, there are two arrows pointing left and right. Those are how you choose the starting and ending frames respectively.
4. Then, go to File > Export > Image Sequence. This will give you a series of frames for you to edit and compile in an image editing software like Gimp. VirtualDub can make a gif on its own too, but it usually looks like crap, so it's really not worth bothering.

e: I guess I was too slow, whoops. You're welcome. :)

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Triangle posted:

i have made a gif

it is still way too big. anything but 256 colors looked really awful in the preview window. is 120 frames just too many? i probably could've done a better job choosing which frames got cut (i just kept every 3rd frame)

edit: once i figured out virtualdub it turned out to be really easy to get the frames, so thanks strange quark

its big and its long with lots of poo poo changing each frame, theres not much you can do about it without big quality loss really

however its 2015 and megabytes dont matter anymore

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Strange Quark posted:

What are you having trouble with? I have a tutorial lying around, but the key points are:

1. You downloaded the FFInputDriver.vdplugin, correct? Make sure it's in VirtualDub's plugins folder (named something like plugins32).
2. Open up your source video with File > Open video file.
3. On the bottom row, there are two arrows pointing left and right. Those are how you choose the starting and ending frames respectively.
4. Then, go to File > Export > Image Sequence. This will give you a series of frames for you to edit and compile in an image editing software like Gimp. VirtualDub can make a gif on its own too, but it usually looks like crap, so it's really not worth bothering.

e: I guess I was too slow, whoops. You're welcome. :)

yeah i figured it out but i appreciate your help nonetheless. still working on getting filesizes down but made this. it's much simpler and smaller, but it's too fast:

it's all grainy and noisy too.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

PotU posted:

i had to use photoshop and matte for my av, because for some reason jasc animation shop hosed the gif up like this and i nothing i did to fix it worked

also photoshop is pretty bad for resizing animated gifs too, had to resize it with jasc and then stitch every single frame together in photoshop. thank god its a really simple gif

I don't know what it's called in Jasc, but in photoshop each frame has a button for "dispose frame". When you tell it to not dispose frames and there is a transparency it will do that

Paper Triangle posted:

i have made a gif

3.3MB isn't too bad for the dimensions and number of frames.
I can get it to just under 2MB with 128 colour and 25 loss and I still think it's good enough. You have to remember that people who view it won't be staring at a single frame for any length of time so don't focus think about it so much

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Triangle posted:

yeah i figured it out but i appreciate your help nonetheless. still working on getting filesizes down but made this. it's much simpler and smaller, but it's too fast:

it's all grainy and noisy too.

What are you using to make your gifs? There should be an option to make any or every frame pause for a certain time. Like here's how it would look in Gimp:

A longer delay means a slower gif.

The graininess comes in part from noise in the source video, since its in a compressed format. What I do about it is crop out the parts of each frame which should be the same as the preceding frame, but that can take ages. There are programs like Gooncam that'll automatically do this, but it runs into weird issues when there are a lot of similar colors close together.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 24, 2015

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dotJPG posted:

I don't know what it's called in Jasc, but in photoshop each frame has a button for "dispose frame". When you tell it to not dispose frames and there is a transparency it will do that

oh yeah i checked for that but couldnt find anything, but its no big deal since i managed to get what i wanted with matte anyway, cheers

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's what doing nothing but cropping did, for the record. I did cut out a few frames too to make it loop better.

It's less than half the filesize it was originally and it still has the same number of colors. I slowed it down to 200ms per frame. Anything less would look too choppy without more in-between frames.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i've been using photoshop, and generally to set the delay i calculate how long the actual clip is supposed to be and divide it by the number of frames i have. this works out weird since the source file is actually 29.976 fps instead of an even 30, so a lot of the time i get something like "each frame should hold for .142045 seconds" or something, but photoshop can only do two digits after the decimal so i end up rounding. looking closely at other people's gifs though it seems like you can get away with half a second or more per frame, so i'll have to tinker with that.

how do you do the cropping thing? that seems useful.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Triangle posted:

i've been using photoshop, and generally to set the delay i calculate how long the actual clip is supposed to be and divide it by the number of frames i have. this works out weird since the source file is actually 29.976 fps instead of an even 30, so a lot of the time i get something like "each frame should hold for .142045 seconds" or something, but photoshop can only do two digits after the decimal so i end up rounding. looking closely at other people's gifs though it seems like you can get away with half a second or more per frame, so i'll have to tinker with that.

how do you do the cropping thing? that seems useful.

I use Gimp, but it should be very similar in Photoshop. Use the free select tool to select the area that should be the exact same between frames. It's easiest to do with the background first, especially if there isn't anything moving in and out of it. So you get something like this:

And then you press the delete key on your keyboard for every frame except the first layer.

For a more advance tactic, you can also look at every pair of frame and delete what's in the latter that's unchanged between them, but this gets really tedious really fast, and it usually doesn't cut down the filesize as much for the work put in.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
thanks! i'll try that sometime when i want to do something without lots of movement.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

dotJPG posted:

No, the web export has been the same for years. You have to kind of work out what you can sacrifice based of the image content. Most anime can usually get away with 64 colour or less and a bit of loss. Size reduction will always help. Taking out frames (decimation) will help if most of the frames differ from each other. Of course, it's up to you to determine the file size.

This one you posted is kind of jagged around the edges because transparency in the gif format just plain sucks. There's no alpha channel in gif- pixels are either 100% opacity or 0%. So smooth transparent edges are difficult to produce. You can use some tricks like making the edge/border/matte a similar colour to what you expect to be behind it (e.g. prefuse's av)

Thanks. I know part of the problem is that I didn't do the best job removing the background. The magic wand and other selection tools kept taking out things I wanted to keep so I had to do it by hand. Is there a better way to remove backgrounds or is it normal to do it by hand?

Here's one I was working on earlier:

Eh I think this one bothered me way more in preview for some reason, it's just so splotchy.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I use Gimp, but it should be very similar in Photoshop. Use the free select tool to select the area that should be the exact same between frames. It's easiest to do with the background first, especially if there isn't anything moving in and out of it. So you get something like this:

And then you press the delete key on your keyboard for every frame except the first layer.

For a more advance tactic, you can also look at every pair of frame and delete what's in the latter that's unchanged between them, but this gets really tedious really fast, and it usually doesn't cut down the filesize as much for the work put in.

that will only help if the image is noisy (which this one is to be fair). If the pixel is unchanged between frames, gimp and ps do it automatically when exporting.

Rather than deleting each layer, it's a lot quicker dupe one, put it on top and then mask out the area where the animation is happening. This is the main technique for creating cinemegraphs. Which to be honest don't look as impressive in anime because they already keep many frames the same, but there are still cool examples:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Thanks. I know part of the problem is that I didn't do the best job removing the background. The magic wand and other selection tools kept taking out things I wanted to keep so I had to do it by hand. Is there a better way to remove backgrounds or is it normal to do it by hand?

Google for some tutorials on using the Quick Selection and Refine Edge tools, they are incredibly useful for that

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dotJPG posted:

that will only help if the image is noisy (which this one is to be fair). If the pixel is unchanged between frames, gimp and ps do it automatically when exporting.

Rather than deleting each layer, it's a lot quicker dupe one, put it on top and then mask out the area where the animation is happening. This is the main technique for creating cinemegraphs. Which to be honest don't look as impressive in anime because they already keep many frames the same, but there are still cool examples:

I usually find the gif will be at least a little noisy because of how the source video is, but thanks, I didn't know about this.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

i was going to make this exact gif. that was a pretty cool moment.

i really loved the way this was animated:

i think this one came out alright for 64 colors (everything is blue).

edit: once i cut all the duplicate frames out i tried doing a longer pause per frame but still ended up at .1s per

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

dotJPG posted:

Google for some tutorials on using the Quick Selection and Refine Edge tools, they are incredibly useful for that

Yeah, I was about to edit my post to admit that I could probably find a guide :) Thanks again.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of old self made huge gifs

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
sports are cool, if they're anime

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

Lol

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

PotU posted:

speaking of old self made huge gifs

Ritsu? Check.
Ritsu? Check.
Ritsu? Check.

good gifs.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Thanks for all the gif-making hints!

This quick-n-dirty sucker helped cut the filesize down by 25%

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Triangle posted:

The little outtake shots after chapters in the manga volumes are great animated, and it's a shame they're only in the blu-rays.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Strange Quark posted:

The little outtake shots after chapters in the manga volumes are great animated, and it's a shame they're only in the blu-rays.

i'm watching the blurays :getin:

but i didn't know those were there and now i'll have to go back and watch them. i've missed a ton of them in yowapeda too but at least those are on cr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

• Locked thread