Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lem wrote deeper and better ai and cyber brain fiction than anybody else, one thing to look for is Tales of Pirx the Pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lem is pro sci-fi

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

Lem wrote deeper and better ai and cyber brain fiction than anybody else, one thing to look for is Tales of Pirx the Pilot

I'll check it out, thanks

I'm the hobby horse

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hail

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Greg Egan has a really good short story about Ship of Theseus style brain replacement with bits of electronics called "Learning To Be Me" and if you have been participating in this topic at all you will most likely really enjoy it (A "jewel" is implanted at birth and spends 25 years learning to mimic your brain, at age 25 when natural brain decay begins the "learning" mode is switched off, your actual bio brain is scooped out, and you are the jewel for the rest of your life)
so, like battle angel alita

quote:

virii
you should know better

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Greg Egan has a really good short story about Ship of Theseus style brain replacement with bits of electronics called "Learning To Be Me" and if you have been participating in this topic at all you will most likely really enjoy it (A "jewel" is implanted at birth and spends 25 years learning to mimic your brain, at age 25 when natural brain decay begins the "learning" mode is switched off, your actual bio brain is scooped out, and you are the jewel for the rest of your life)

also another story (the name escapes me atm) where a eugenics program changes nothing about the DNA sequences but replaces all the bases with 4 totally different bases, effectively making people who cannot be infected by virii (they still get inside the cells but once inside just sit there, unable to reproduce with bases it doesn't recognize) but also makes them unidentifiable by standard DNA kits

All his stories are hard sci-fi so no handwaving magitek stuff, and all the ones I've read have some existentialist question embedded in the story itself

egan is top tier, but "virii"?

efb

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

focal ischemia posted:

whenever i see this picture i can't help but see the guy's finger as a hosed-up penis

if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

if all you have is a gaping anus, everything looks like a hosed-up penis

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Palpek posted:

Lem wrote deeper and better ai and wizard brain fiction than anybody else, one thing to look for is Tales of Pirx the Pilot

axolotl farmer posted:

Lem is pro sci-fi

i started reading the Wizardiad but couldn't get into it at all. i'm always hearing how great Lem is though so I guess that collection probably isn't representative?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sergeant Baboon posted:

they can be swapped though, so AT, TA, CG, or GC

yeah the pairing is for (imperfect) error checking and stabilization

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also the olfactory epithelium was the first observed location of adult neuro genesis, which spurred the discovery of the other limbic sites

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrSYkLWkZM

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

big scary monsters posted:

i started reading the Wizardiad but couldn't get into it at all. i'm always hearing how great Lem is though so I guess that collection probably isn't representative?

lem wrote 3 kinds of books:

-wacky sci-fi with heavy-handed humor and goofy neologisms that make it a chore to read
-hard sci-fi that uses the futuristic setting merely as a backdrop for drama, philosophy and complex psychological scenarios (philip k. dick kind)
-philosophical books about future that are closer to academic works than fiction

cyberiad belongs to the first kind that i don't really dig but many people do and recommend as those books are easy to get into - i get tired of reading them pretty fast

the second kind is where lem absolutely owns and why he stands out among the sci-fi writers. "solaris", "return from the stars", "memoirs found in the bathtub", "the star diaries" belong to this group and you should read them

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

adult neuro genesis

anime af

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

kwinkles posted:

human brains are really complicated for what amounts to fart joke generators

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

needs the goatkcd treatment

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wayfinder posted:

Press 'F' to tattoo a panther on his back

:laffo:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

black mirror owns

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

come to the insect swarm infested hellhole in the next 15 minutes if you want an rear end kicking

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Anaconda Rifle posted:

black mirror owns

jon hamm is so charming too

i watched a butt load of mad men for the first time last week and there was some good stuff in there

hope his drunk rear end gets more work

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
poo poo i didnt see that jon hamm episode. something to look forward to tonight.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Chorrax posted:

poo poo i didnt see that jon hamm episode. something to look forward to tonight.
Holy poo poo I wish I were you.

I loving proselytized that episode to everyone I thought might care. They all appreciated it. There was a vimeo linking floating around with it that lasted for months. blk mrr xmas I think.

fake edit: O you don't even have to try that hard, just do "black mirror christmas vimeo" and bam. Also try "gently caress the nsa vimeo".

re: Jon Hamm - he's so good, I was so happy when he showed up in the episode. Dramatic and funny and can weave between the two. He's like some sort of The Rock. I lost much affection for mad men in the last season or two, but it wasn't Hamm's fault. He even shows up in unbreakable blow job girl and is funny. Hopefully he'll get back out there soon. Maybe in the next true detective season. Oh poo poo, they should get the rock for that too, Hamm Rock TD Season 3

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
jon hamm is legitimately funny, too. i absolutely admire his first appearances on comedy death ray and i will never tire of nick kroll loving with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o-TZIyymHI

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wayfinder posted:

Press 'F' to tattoo a panther on his back

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this poo poo me right up as a young 'un.

lol I love that dumb rear end movie

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5E4NiP4hpM

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yessssss

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
depending on how you interpret the way dna and its encoding works its either a base-4 encoding system with each pair being one qit or a base-20 system with each 3 pairs being one... uh... 20it with a lot of overlapping (eg UGC is exactly the same 20it as UGU). i lean more towards the latter

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

.75 cent

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

depending on how you interpret the way dna and its encoding works its either a base-4 encoding system with each pair being one qit or a base-20 system with each 3 pairs being one... uh... 20it with a lot of overlapping (eg UGC is exactly the same 20it as UGU). i lean more towards the latter

~uguuu~

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is the affect fury road is having on our youth

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:allears: