Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Holy poo poo the baron is amazing. This game goes so far and beyond its fiddly bits that it is crazy, it's the only game I've ever seen confront the realities of marriage and truly made me sympathize with an NPC.

What kind of marriage are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Has anyone else experienced more pop in in. 1.0.4?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Eh I really like the combat, it's different and hard to get used to. I'm on my 2nd playthrough, both on Blood & Broken Bones, and the combat is the most fun I've had in a melee RPG. It took me a few hours to figure out the flow but once you understand it it becomes incredibly rewarding. Most people tend to focus on one enemy at a time and use their abilities one-by-one, when really you need to micro every enemy using Aard, dodges and parrying. Most walkthroughs I've seen show people taking several minutes to carefully deal with a group of Drowners, when really the if you understand their attack pattern you can maneuver into position and then rapidly unleash precise skill combos and attacks killing them all in under 10 seconds. Play like a medieval Jedi.

The problem I have is some of the bosses that totally negate your tactics by either teleporting around, perma-parrying, or having huge radius knockbacks. Those just turns into a dull grindfest of rolling and slashing and require zero skill.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ChocNitty posted:

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lZYTDK_sE

Agree, or disagree?

guy is full of poo poo. playing on death march and loving it. he just needs to quit whining and GET GUD. :|

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

ChocNitty posted:

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

Agree, or disagree?

Considering the game is a cakewalk on Death March, I'm gonna have to disagree. The game might be difficult if you don't do any side content stuff, but as it is, I pretty much always end up being overleveled.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If anything, death march becomes too easy once you level up a bit. I'm now level 20 and I haven't died or even had any problems in a long time, mostly because Igni with high intensity destroys everything that is capable of burning.

Many of the large monster also have really similar movesets so if you know how to fight one, you probably know how to fight all of them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

The combat system is serviceable to a point, the only glaring flaws are the enemy AI which is godawful and spazzy a bunch (I'm gonna run in a circle over here and then stare at a wall while you funnel fire up my rear end!) and the "nope, you're in combat, can't do the thing you want to do like climb out of this hole" problem and the fact that even on the highest difficulties things ten levels below you (or five, if you're minmaxed) hit you for so little it doesn't even show up on your vitality bar but can still chain-stun you into a corner for several annoying seconds. The parts that suck don't have anything to do with difficulty - the parts that don't are only made better by increasing it.

The good news I guess is that some of the problems with the combat system like the spazzy AI and the weird combat/not-in-combat problem can be fixed. Other issues the video mention, like not being able to choose signs or bombs if not standing upright can also be fixed too. So while the combat is flawed I don't think a lot of the issues are impossible to fix. And CDPR have shown in the past more than willing to try to improve their combat after release.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Creepy Goat posted:

The problem I have is some of the bosses that totally negate your tactics by either teleporting around, perma-parrying, or having huge radius knockbacks. Those just turns into a dull grindfest of rolling and slashing and require zero skill.

This is probably the worst, yeah. Several bosses have massively telegraphed attacks that you either can't stagger them out of or can't get away from in time if you're in the middle of an attack animation when they decide to start theirs. Others are easily sidestepped and taken advantage of. Toward the end of the game there are two teleport-y bosses that teleport to long range and throw easily dodged poo poo at you after taking a hit or two, so the fights are slice>slice>jog (roll)>jog (roll)>slice>slice repeat. Most of them have their damage dialed way down to compensate for the cheesiness of their attacks, and many of them have truckloads of HP. Golems and earth elementals are also kind of bullshit for similar reasons (unless you're overleveled.)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ragingsheep posted:

Has anyone else experienced more pop in in. 1.0.4?

Yeah, I'm experiencing a lot more pop ins as well as slowdowns since 1.04.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I told Hattori to meet me at the docks when I first arrived in Novigrad, them came back ages later when I was at a level appropriate for his quest and things progressed as normal. I also didn't talk to him at all after the first time I met him, so I'm not sure what happens if you run into him repeatedly and keep telling him to screw off.

I'd also like to express my opinion that it would be great if future patches focused on addressing problems with controlling Geralt and Roach's movement. Only a fairly small minority of players will benefit from graphical improvements (my game has felt slower and less stable after the patches, but correlation is not causation, so who knows), but the simply abominable controls are something everyone who plays the game has to contend with. It speaks wonders as to the game's excellence as a whole that such a fundamental part of it can be so terrible while the entirety of the experience remains so wonderful. But it would be even so much more of a joy to play if the characters didn't feel like overweight hippopotami on ice skates.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Dreylad posted:

The good news I guess is that some of the problems with the combat system like the spazzy AI and the weird combat/not-in-combat problem can be fixed. Other issues the video mention, like not being able to choose signs or bombs if not standing upright can also be fixed too. So while the combat is flawed I don't think a lot of the issues are impossible to fix. And CDPR have shown in the past more than willing to try to improve their combat after release.

I don't doubt it'll get tweaked. I'm kind of wary about the nature of the tweaks though - the "combat overhaul" for W2 made as many things worse as it did better, and W3 is basically that plus finicky terrain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question I have fought Rotfiends quite a few times now. But I still don't have a bestiary entry for them. Anyone know what the deal is with that. Do I have to burn them to death before they explode or somthing?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I haven't done Hattori's quest yet although I plan to do it very soon - please tell me that the entire quest is you slaughtering 88 guys named Bill. (Don't actually spoiler this)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Creepy Goat posted:

Eh I really like the combat, it's different and hard to get used to. I'm on my 2nd playthrough, both on Blood & Broken Bones, and the combat is the most fun I've had in a melee RPG. It took me a few hours to figure out the flow but once you understand it it becomes incredibly rewarding. Most people tend to focus on one enemy at a time and use their abilities one-by-one, when really you need to micro every enemy using Aard, dodges and parrying. Most walkthroughs I've seen show people taking several minutes to carefully deal with a group of Drowners, when really the if you understand their attack pattern you can maneuver into position and then rapidly unleash precise skill combos and attacks killing them all in under 10 seconds. Play like a medieval Jedi.

I agree that generally the combat system works fine and just demands that you understand how it works. But it is completely true that the design of multiple encounters completely trashes this by giving the monster a combination of speed and unblockable attacks that basically demands that you just dodge/roll around like a spastic cat at all times to have any hope of survival. It throws the thoughtfulness out of the window by making you too busy dodging to think ahead.

(I currently hold very ill will toward the designer who decided to make you fight the alcoholic vampire inside a cramped house in oxenfort. I got dizzy from the 3rd-peson camera constantly whipping around and bouncing against the walls while trying to make sure that I wasn't going to get stuck on something while chain-dodging)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wild at Heart:

Should I let Margaret die? Spare her so she can live miserable and alone? Or say gently caress it and take the bribe, letting her get away scot free?

Is there a follow-up at all to this quest?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wild at Heart:

Should I let Margaret die? Spare her so she can live miserable and alone? Or say gently caress it and take the bribe, letting her get away scot free?

Not on my playthrough :black101:

It is possible though, I've had a character attack me because I kinda made the group of said character dead in the course of my actions 10 hours before.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Jenny O' the Woods was a loving bitch. I was level 11 when doing it and that was the hardest fight in the game for me thus far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Agree, or disagree?

He's wrong.

His complaint basically boils down to "there are two acceptable combat systems and it's not one of those so it's bad and don't play it." He complains that he can't predict what attack animation Geralt is going to do, but if you pay attention the attack animation depends on distance to the enemy. If you attack a close enemy Geralt will whack at it, if you attack a far enemy Geralt will try to close the distance with a big swooshy leaping twirling attack. I can see the complaint if you're constantly targeting the wrong enemy and then doing big splashy attacks and getting hit, but you can cancel out if you make a mistake. While the Witcher 3 combat isn't perfect it is pretty good. The biggest problem is the soft lock-on tends to target the wrong person after you sidestep. If you plan to bait an enemy and then sidestep him it's best to lock onto him so you don't accidentally charge his buddies behind him.

Combat in the Witcher 3 is just plain faster than Dark Souls and I think that's where a lot of the Dark Souls players are getting tripped up as well. You have more items attacks and spells, fights have more enemies, Geralt is much more mobile than even the fastest Dark Souls PC and some enemies are nearly as fast as Geralt. I can see players who are used to a more deliberate pace and being good at that pace getting frustrated when the game demands they do more, faster, with less fine-grained control.

Medium should be fine if you're worried about combat difficulty. Honestly Blood & Broken Bones is starting to feel pretty easy for me at level 15. I've finished some group fights (the kind he's complaining about) without taking a hit. I can't imagine playing this on easy for 40 or 80 hours. The comments on this video are actually not insane and you can see him admitting he flat out doesn't know some elements of the combat system in the comments.

Watching his example video: he's really bad. He gets surrounded, gets knocked back out of the group, and trudges right back into being surrounded again. He holds down block when nobody's attacking him and creeps around while the NPCs surround him and start swinging. He could literally be dancing circles around these guys but he's hiding behind his block. He misses easily a dozen chances to counterstrike if only he would sidestep instead of blocking heavy blows. He's playing really badly and then blaming the game. He doesn't appear to be aware of the dodge button even.

"Geralt isn't as nimble on his feet as he should be." :laffo: Yeah this guy has no idea how to play, a lot of people complain that the combat is too mobile.

I think it's funny so many players are complaining it's not like Bloodborne and you have to dodge and roll too much when if you watch combat in Dark Souls or Bloodborne 90% of it is dodging and rolling trying to get behind your opponent.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 28, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What a wonderful little game! Aside from a few quirks and minor annoyances, it's the most excited I've been for a game in a long time. The repair system is sort of a drag, but at the same time, the potion system is super easy, so I feel it kinda evens out.

My favorite moment so far: I'm riding around Velen, and come to a bridge, when 2 bandits stop me and try to force a toll. Normally, I'd simply kill them, but this time, I felt generous so I chose the other option. Geralt says "See this medallion? Recognize the guild?" The bandits poo poo their pants and apologize, then Geralt says "Might travel this way again, better not see you here, understand?" The bandits are backing away and apologizing, and in the background I see 4 drowners jump on the bridge, and come towards us, behind the bandits. Lead bandit says, "Sorry, Sir Witcher, we'll be leavin." And the cutscenes ends. Just in time for one of the drowners to kill the lead bandit, yell at the other one, then run off before I could do anything. :allears:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Pyromancer posted:

Pretty sure there are more than three golems - even outside the plot missions there are tower out of nowhere , cheese dungeon and just a cave with a rogue golem

The plot mission, the tower, and the rogue one are the three I was thinking off. I don't recall there being one in the cheese dungeon, wasn't that an Earth Elemental? Regardless, even if it were it did not drop a heart.

quote:

contract where you meet with Lambert

You can't loot that one, you immediately leave the area and when you return there's nothing.

Spiderguy186 posted:

There are randomly spawning variants of most of the creatures in the game. I don't remember where I found the Ekimmara, but there is definitely at least one in the open world.

Yes, but "most" is not "all". Golems and Ekimarra are two of the ones that have a limited number, and I'm pretty sure Night/Noon Wraiths and Elementals are as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I tend to try to resolve things peacefully but sometimes things get out of hand, swords get drawn, people get set on explosions and also fire.

Sometimes this gets avoided by people donating to the witchering fund. Not always, but sometimes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a druid trying to offer me a yellow ! quest near Gedyleith, but when I speak to him, nothing happens. Any one have a clue or is it just some weird bug?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wild at Heart:

funny thing about this one, I left after discovering the monster's lair and realizing I didn't have the proper oil. Now when I select the quest as Active there's no marker for where the lair was, must be a bug where the marker just doesn't show up after the first encounter. Oh well!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I told Hattori to meet me at the docks when I first arrived in Novigrad, them came back ages later when I was at a level appropriate for his quest and things progressed as normal. I also didn't talk to him at all after the first time I met him, so I'm not sure what happens if you run into him repeatedly and keep telling him to screw off.

If you go see Hattori back in his hut during the day after accepting the quest he whines that you no showed the previous night, but it doesn't fail the quest. Everything's gonna be fine Hanzo steel seekers :shobon:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Creepy Goat posted:

All the large creatures suck. There's no way to dodge their knockbacks, even if visually my dodge puts me in the clear. You just gotta take the hit.

I feel like some of the monster's AOE attacks are cheap - stomping your foot on the ground shouldn't drain half my health instantly.

But my largest pet peeve is how the game punishes you for pressing your advantages: suppose you set a group of, say, three drowners on fire. If you focus on one in order to kill it, it'll immediately forget it was on fire after your first strike, gain godlike dodging abilities or just starts blocking. The game just doesn't want you to single out targets to kill them - it actively punishes you for it. This alone makes it so I will never attempt to play it on the hardest difficulties. Don't get me started on random rear end dogs just dodging three fast strikes in a row, I'm a goddamned centenary master swordsman this poo poo shouldn't be happening :negative:

Speaking of peeves, another one is how the crafting UI does not take into account materials that break down into other materials. I don't have y material that comes from x but I have 10 of x. Just break that stuff down for me, game, I don't like to play quartermaster simulator, goddamn

Quest related question. Regarding Radovid and (Act I)
and the spymasters: I helped Dijkstra and Roche in finding the other spy dude, as part of their would-be assassination plot. Does the quest end like that for now? Do I have to meet Dijkstra at his hideout to get the plot going? Will the actual attempt involve me in the future, but at a later stage in the game?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shameless plug detected:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chrysophylax posted:

But my largest pet peeve is how the game punishes you for pressing your advantages: suppose you set a group of, say, three drowners on fire. If you focus on one in order to kill it, it'll immediately forget it was on fire after your first strike, gain godlike dodging abilities or just starts blocking. The game just doesn't want you to single out targets to kill them - it actively punishes you for it. This alone makes it so I will never attempt to play it on the hardest difficulties. Don't get me started on random rear end dogs just dodging three fast strikes in a row, I'm a goddamned centenary master swordsman this poo poo shouldn't be happening :negative:

This happens with me for Axii so goddamn much, it's kind of a hit or miss regarding whether or not it works, too. I have it fully upgraded and sometimes it still "misses." But yeah it really sucks when monsters get bullshit superarmor out of nowhere once you try to debuff them.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Chrysophylax posted:

Quest related question. Regarding Radovid and (Act I)
and the spymasters: I helped Dijkstra and Roche in finding the other spy dude, as part of their would-be assassination plot. Does the quest end like that for now? Do I have to meet Dijkstra at his hideout to get the plot going? Will the actual attempt involve me in the future, but at a later stage in the game?

Yes to the last question.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Shameless plug detected:

I love this game's sense of humor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mcbexx posted:

Shameless plug detected:

Of all the books to skip, I really chose wrong.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Does anyone have a map to show where the Novigrad slums are (where you can buy the +100 saddlebags)? I can't remember where they are. :(

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Jenny O' the Woods was a loving bitch. I was level 11 when doing it and that was the hardest fight in the game for me thus far.

This fight is part of why I just love Witcher 3. I'm playing on the second from top difficulty (I was level 7?), and I restarted this fight a bunch, learning new things every time. Made sure to start with Spectre Oil.

First time I completely forgot about... Yrden? The trap sign that makes them go corporeal and take damage. After I remembered that, I started actually doing damage, then promptly got murdered by that shadow dash that does about 1/3 of your HP.

Next few times I did better about keeping her in the trap, and getting damage in, but then found that when she split into 3, she'd regen a lot of the damage taken and I'd eventually die to straight attrition.

Eventually I tried out ranging the wraiths during the split instead of trying to kill them more quickly, hoping they'd fizzle out. While doing that it occurred to me that I had actual other tools, and started using the crossbow. What do you know, it basically 1 shots them with default bolts.

The final fight felt like a culmination of everything I learned making mistakes. Prepare with oils, etc before hand. Learn the animations, dodge the dangerous stuff and react accordingly for the special boss mechanics.

By the end it felt pretty simple, but I felt like I was learning my way through the fight and that's awesome. I love the lore, I love the preparation and I love the fact that it's so much more involved than the MMO-esque stuff that you can end up with these days.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

I don't doubt it'll get tweaked. I'm kind of wary about the nature of the tweaks though - the "combat overhaul" for W2 made as many things worse as it did better, and W3 is basically that plus finicky terrain.

Yeah that's definitely true. But I think if they ended up fixing the stuff I mentioned that wouldn't really make things any worse.

The bosses are kinda dull, yeah. Gargoyles are real assholes, even more than elementals which I eventually figured out how to handle (heavy attack, back step out of their attack repeat).

Aurain posted:

I have a druid trying to offer me a yellow ! quest near Gedyleith, but when I speak to him, nothing happens. Any one have a clue or is it just some weird bug?

Weird bug.

Also I got stuck on the tower quest thanks to a bug, I think, and never finished it. Which is too bad, it looked fun. When the mage deactivates the forcefield it turns into a glowing ball of light and the mage just sits there.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 28, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question I have fought Rotfiends quite a few times now. But I still don't have a bestiary entry for them. Anyone know what the deal is with that. Do I have to burn them to death before they explode or somthing?

It seems like you need to land the killing blow on something to unlock the bestiary entry, if you let a rotfiend explode the last bit of damage doesn't come from you so it doesn't count.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Wachepti posted:

Yes to the last question.

Thanks!

I felt that that quest chain ended so abruptly that I thought I had to go meet them to get the actual thing going.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The Witcher 3 : Rare Gwent Cards Hunt

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you CAN piss him off for good that would really suck, since he's the one and only master-level blacksmith in the entire game.

Starting his quest by accident was one of the last things I did yesterday, so I decided to go meet him and try to do it anyway.

The mission is 10 levels higher than me but I managed to finish it after trying different tactics. Let's just say that thank gently caress for the Yrden turret and Axii Puppet. :stonklol:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Arglebargle III posted:

but if you pay attention the attack animation depends on distance to the enemy. If you attack a close enemy Geralt will whack at it, if you attack a far enemy Geralt will try to close the distance with a big swooshy leaping twirling attack.

So basically it's Metal Gear Rising, which sounds like a good thing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I think this game's combat is ok. In a similar vein to Spec Ops it's good enough where it doesn't get in the way of how great everything else is but not good enough where it's something I feel like gushing over. But then I am running the world's dullest build of all fast attacks all the time so you know, maybe that's on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of repetitive difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 28, 2015