Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, NSNull vs nil is just people trying to work around earlier bad decisions, and I look forward to the day that it's forgotten trivia (Did you know that NeXTStep made a singleton object to represent the absence of a value because they made their other representation of the absence of a value mean something else in their standard collection types?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So that code injection blocker I posted a while back apparently breaks UIActivityViewController (and probably other things) :ughh:

Found this out after the update using it was live :negative:.

I'd set the build settings to only use the injection blocker for the distribution build (as per the blog post), and this is what I deserve for testing Release but not Distribution. My quick bug fix update wound up completely breaking the share sheet.

Not really sure what to make of iOS itself doing code injection. Especially since code injection is one of the major ways to steal IAP and so being able to block it is a big plus.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I'd sum it up as: If you want nil semantics then use nil. If your collection doesn't support nil then don't violate its assumptions. It's otherwise just a sentinel object, not some special class of object that isn't like other objects. Not being different means it's simpler to reason about.

Which is basically what status said.

My issue is with the @{} notation and auto boxing numerical why won't it box a nil.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Also @{} and @[] auto-indentation :argh:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Switched over my personal iOS developer account to a corporate account today. I'd been putting it off for a while because I expected it to be some tedious, drawn out process that involved faxing paperwork in 2015, but the whole thing took less than an hour.

:woop:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I'm chasing a nasty memory corruption bug that causes crashes that are very hard to reproduce. Maybe you can help me go about it in a smarter way than testing about two dozen different builds, each at a different revision (why didn't I catch this earlier? because it only seems to happen in optimized builds running outside the debugger), hoping one will crash reliably

It's not random corruption. What happens is that the isa pointer in a random object gets overwritten with a small integer, sometimes zero, but can be 9, 11... It's not reuse of dead objects, I tried zombie objects already (very rarely, it does crash under the debugger). It's not buffer overflow apparently, I tried guard malloc (I could probably try harder, but Xcode likes to crash when launching the app in the simulator). It doesn't seem to be freeing the wrong object, because I tried enabling scribble. Any ideas?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

hackbunny posted:

I'm chasing a nasty memory corruption bug that causes crashes that are very hard to reproduce. Maybe you can help me go about it in a smarter way than testing about two dozen different builds, each at a different revision (why didn't I catch this earlier? because it only seems to happen in optimized builds running outside the debugger), hoping one will crash reliably

It's not random corruption. What happens is that the isa pointer in a random object gets overwritten with a small integer, sometimes zero, but can be 9, 11... It's not reuse of dead objects, I tried zombie objects already (very rarely, it does crash under the debugger). It's not buffer overflow apparently, I tried guard malloc (I could probably try harder, but Xcode likes to crash when launching the app in the simulator). It doesn't seem to be freeing the wrong object, because I tried enabling scribble. Any ideas?

Two dozen builds? Would bisecting to test help? Might help you go from testing 24 builds to – hopefully – 5 (aka ceil(log2(24)).

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Two dozen builds? Would bisecting to test help? Might help you go from testing 24 builds to – hopefully – 5 (aka ceil(log2(24)).

I wasn't really thinking straight yesterday. I reviewed all revisions, rated their "shiftiness" from 0 (harmless) to 5 ("wtf did I write"), and tried them one by one, starting from the shiftiest. Some background: the revisions were all fixes suggested by a code analysis tool, and a lot of them related to manual (malloc/free) memory management, so I thought I could make things quicker by testing those first. Today I tried bisection (and I installed IPAs manually instead of going through Testflight, I had to be really tired) and it turns out the most likely offending revision I had rated "2" :eng99:

e: and it's more than 5 builds, I can't assume there's only one bad revision. Still much quicker

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 22, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Objective-C code:
@interface Foo: NSObject {
    struct Element *array;
    int arraySize;
}

@end

@implementation Foo

-(id) init
{
    int newArraySize = [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] integerForKey:"arraySize"];
    struct Element *newArray = calloc(arraySize, sizeof(struct Element));

if (!newArray) {
        [self dealloc];
        return nil;
    }

self = [super init];

if (self != nil) {
        array = newArray;
        arraySize = newArraySize;
    }

return self;
}

@end
Spot the surprisingly obvious copy-paste error :cripes: Shouldn't guard malloc catch that? (did I actually run it under guard malloc?)

(please don't mention ARC. Just... don't)

e: guard malloc does, did catch it :doh: I mistook the out of bounds write for a memory corruption bug for some goddamn reason. I don't know how I could be so stupid

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 22, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Hate to spam the thread, but what is this poo poo?

quote:

Xcode quit unexpectedly while using the AppName plug-in.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000032, 0x000000012e278000

It keeps happening when I try to debug the application in the simulator. The application runs fine, the simulator is just peachy, but Xcode keeps crashing

e:

quote:

Failed to lookup the process ID of AppName after successful launch. Perhaps it crashed after launch.

NO, gently caress YOU XCODE, THE PROCESS DIDN'T loving CRASH YOU GIBBERING IDIOT

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 22, 2015

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

hackbunny posted:

Hate to spam the thread, but what is this poo poo?

Xcode's code signature is breaking due to touching your incorrectly signed code - see if you can resign your app and/or analyze it with codesign to see what's wrong.
Xcode crashes because it's entitled to do things and with that comes the bit that says 'kill me if I touch wrongly signed code'.

Xcode is supposed to be more careful when it debugs another app in order to not get its code signature screwed up, feel free to file a bug: https://bugreport.apple.com

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

chimz posted:

Xcode's code signature is breaking due to touching your incorrectly signed code

Why are Simulator builds even signed? and why building the same identical code twice in a row can produce a good build followed by a broken build? I seriously can't count the time I've wasted on inexplicable "executable was signed with the wrong entitlements" errors. Sometimes a clean and rebuild fixes the issue, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes refreshing my account's list of provisioning profiles works, sometimes it doesn't. Things have slowly improved in the couple years I've been using Xcode, but the issue never went away

Oh and Testflight will happily distribute badly signed/provisioned executables

chimz posted:

see if you can resign your app

How is this done? Is there any documentation on code signing, a specification maybe?

I've never used codesign, I probably should start. Will it catch issues with bad provisioning profiles too?

chimz posted:

Xcode is supposed to be more careful when it debugs another app in order to not get its code signature screwed up, feel free to file a bug: https://bugreport.apple.com

If anyone reads crash reports, I posted like six or seven in a row yesterday. The increasing amount of f-bombs in the comments field is directly proportional to my frustration

I'll try to file a bug on Monday anyway

Thanks

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

I wanted to use HealthKit.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/HealthKit/Reference/HealthKit_Framework/ posted:

the framework constrains the types of data and units to a predefined list. These limits ensure that other apps understand both what the data means and how it can be used. As a result, developers cannot create custom data types or units.
Have new units been introduced since it was released? I want to add waist measurement.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

alanthecat posted:

I wanted to use HealthKit.

Have new units been introduced since it was released? I want to add waist measurement.

I don't see that as an entry in the Health app, so I don't think so.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

carry on then posted:

I don't see that as an entry in the Health app, so I don't think so.

Yeah, I saw it's not there, but is the current list any bigger than the list on launch day? I.e. are Apple actively (!) adding new types and I can hold out hope it will be there soon?!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is iTMSTransporter + a script like the one at the bottom of this tutorial still the best way to upload 200+ localized screenshots to iTunes Connect?

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?

lord funk posted:

Is iTMSTransporter + a script like the one at the bottom of this tutorial still the best way to upload 200+ localized screenshots to iTunes Connect?

http://fastlane.tools/

That is all. These things work pretty great. Take screenshots, push builds, update metadata, all without having to log in to iTC.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inevitable Ross posted:

http://fastlane.tools/

That is all. These things work pretty great. Take screenshots, push builds, update metadata, all without having to log in to iTC.

Sure could've used this 2 weeks ago. 22 languages x 5 screen sizes x 5 shots x 2 app skus means a lot of time spent in iTC

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thanks for the fastlane tip, but I ended up just doing the iTMSTransporter stuff since I didn't really need screenshot automation, just a better way to upload instead of the web interface. Feels sooooo good not to be dragging images into the web view.

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
That's fair. FWIW - and late, sadly - `deliver --skip-deploy` will push a folder of screenshots up to iTC if they're in the right place. The documentation could use some help, but they seem like pretty useful tools.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Weird. Got notification from UPS that my Watch is being delivered tomorrow. I got that notification BEFORE getting the email from Apple saying it had been shipped. Shipped so fast it went BACK IN TIME!

Anxious to mess around with it, though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not ready for prime time imo

I've had mine for ~2-3 weeks and I find myself using it less and less. I'm willing to bet it'll be better once we can actually run things on the watch but I bet it slays the battery.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm starting to see folks who have the watch just using their phone more and more.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
The irrational desire to fill those three circles is the only "killer app" I need.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Citymapper is pretty baller for getting bus times on your wrist but the scattershot speed at which it (doesn't) launch and fetch data kills it

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So when you finally are ready to submit your app and you switch to the 'live' server for in-app purchasing, and you run the app one more time, trying to purchase something should just flat out fail, right? No login prompt, just failure. Right?

This is all just slightly unnerving.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
extern NSString const *kSomeConst
extern NSString *const kSomeConst
extern *const NSString kSomeConst
extern const NSString *kSomeConst

Is there any difference between these other than syntax? I keep seeing different styles in different projects and I want to know if there's any well defined best practice or whatever

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Hopefully you're not seeing all these different ones because there's only one that makes sense in Objective-C :) A good trick is to read from right-to-left:

status posted:

extern NSString const *kSomeConst
kSomeConst is a pointer to a const NSString. The pointer itself is not const. This usually isn't what you want, because "a const NSString" doesn't make much sense in Objective-C. Unlike C++, Obj-C doesn't do immutability that way.

status posted:

extern NSString *const kSomeConst
kSomeConst is a const pointer to an NSString. The pointer itself is what is const, so it can't be reassigned. This is the one you want to use to declare various string constants in your code.

status posted:

extern *const NSString kSomeConst
This one doesn't compile.

status posted:

extern const NSString *kSomeConst
kSomeConst is a pointer to an NSString that is const. This is the same as the first one.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Flobbster posted:

Hopefully you're not seeing all these different ones because there's only one that makes sense in Objective-C :)

In various projects I've seen mostly the 1st and 2nd options. I just mixed things around a bit for the last two examples (hence 3 not compiling, lol). Thanks for the clarification.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

So when you finally are ready to submit your app and you switch to the 'live' server for in-app purchasing, and you run the app one more time, trying to purchase something should just flat out fail, right? No login prompt, just failure. Right?

This is all just slightly unnerving.

It depends. What error are you getting back?

You should only use the live server for the actual binary downloaded from and signed by the App Store, because if it hasn't been signed by the App Store then the purchases made by StoreKit will be made in the IAP testing sandbox. Trying to verify against the live verification server will always fail on purchases made in the sandbox.

If you're doing server-side verification, have the app tell your server whether it's a build distributed through the App Store or not, and have the server choose whether to check the live server or the sandbox server based on that.

You shouldn't have to "switch" between the two, because then it won't work when you're testing the next version of your app. The purchases will be made in the sandbox (since the new version wasn't signed by the App Store), yet to keep the shipping version of your app's IAP working your server will still have to check Apple's live server.

And if you're trying to do verification on the device by checking the verification servers from within the app: don't. Anyone trying to steal your IAP will almost certainly be running a jailbroken device and be using something that redirects traffic meant for the Apple verification servers to a phony verification server.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I might have no idea what I'm talking about but I wonder whether foiling the subset of jailbroken users who would rather put their time into defeating your copy protection than give you a dollar is worth the bother.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You don't need to do anything, there are automated tools. You don't even have to crack the app, they do it by attaching to your app's process and intercepting calls to StoreKit, and they almost certainly modify the hosts file to aim the IAP verification servers somewhere else.

And Lord Funk's app was $30 last time I checked, so I image his IAP is gonna be more than $0.99.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Confirmed, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Stealing IAP is indeed ridiculously easy for jailbroken users. Once the tweak is installed, all the user has to do is click buy and hit cancel on the iCloud password prompt. No effort at all.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

You should only use the live server for the actual binary downloaded from and signed by the App Store, because if it hasn't been signed by the App Store then the purchases made by StoreKit will be made in the IAP testing sandbox. Trying to verify against the live verification server will always fail on purchases made in the sandbox.

This is what I figured, just paranoid so I tried it anyway.

Yeah my IAP totals $7 for all the patches and tuning functionality. Frankly I'm not terribly concerned about pirating, even if it does happen. I do agree with fleshweasel that you can spend too much time focusing on people who wouldn't pay for your stuff anyway.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doc Block posted:

If you're doing server-side verification, have the app tell your server whether it's a build distributed through the App Store or not, and have the server choose whether to check the live server or the sandbox server based on that.

I thought the recommendation was to always hit live and if it returns the code for "its a sandbox receipt" then try again against sandbox. (The whole never trust the client thing?)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

I thought the recommendation was to always hit live and if it returns the code for "its a sandbox receipt" then try again against sandbox. (The whole never trust the client thing?)

I thought that was only for subscriptions? Like, it won't tell you that for any other receipts?

Also, you should definitely be communicating with your own server over SSL + SSL certificate pinning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doc Block posted:

I thought that was only for subscriptions? Like, it won't tell you that for any other receipts?

Also, you should definitely be communicating with your own server over SSL + SSL certificate pinning.

No, it will for others that's how we do our main IAP flow. Will check on the value.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Who's in town for WWDC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Well I live here now but I'm also going to WWDC.