Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If someone here calling the Zenfone 2 a risky buy was dumb enough to have bought a OnePlus I'd be surprised. Most of us have been around long enough to remember the Asus RMA debacles.

I guess maybe someone could have bought a OnePlus and then came to their senses but those odds seem even lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kawabata posted:

Maybe I didn't phrase it well, but they do.

Some people buy the OnePlusOne thinking they "tricked the market" or something because they got an amazing phone for 200-300$ less than the equivalent flagship Samsung/LG/HTC model would cost and then they also expect OnePlus to give a gently caress about their warranty. Most buyers think that a meticulously built product will have a reliable company behind it and it's not always the case.

It does, but the heavier stuff you can uninstall and once you clean it a bit you'll see it has a pretty unbeatable performance in the 200-250$ price range. I wouldn't buy the 300$ 4gb one though, seems pretty overkill unless you want to show off by opening 4 games and 40 apps at the same time.

These people exist because I say they do

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Some people buy the OnePlusOne thinking they "tricked the market" or something because they got an amazing phone for 200-300$ less than the equivalent flagship Samsung/LG/HTC model would cost and then they also expect OnePlus to give a gently caress about their warranty. Most buyers think that a meticulously built product will have a reliable company behind it and it's not always the case.

I know one person like this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kawabata posted:

This is a cool straw man you've built here.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony XSP-N1BT car head unit? According to various reviews, it's a great concept with poor implementation.

Since I just want something that does regular radio and bluetooth calling/audio, it might be worth it even if my LG G3 wont fit in the dock.

Edit: Yes I realize Android Auto is around the corner.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 27, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looks like Android 5.1.1 is rolling out now. OTAs up on the usual places, but I actually got a notice as I was downloading my OTA to sideload.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I/O livestream chat will be in this thread?

The granular permission controls is going to be interesting, if they announce that, because it sounds like a horrible mess of a thing to try to implement on an existing ecosystem. It's hard to see how this isn't just going to cause a million apps to crash a lot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

The granular permission controls is going to be interesting, if they announce that, because it sounds like a horrible mess of a thing to try to implement on an existing ecosystem. It's hard to see how this isn't just going to cause a million apps to crash a lot.

Couldn't it work like CM did where it would just feed apps data in the format they expect but with values that are obviously fake? Seems like if you did that and indicated that the request was denied old apps would continue to function and new apps would take advantage of the response to adapt to revoked permissions.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the nightmare is the UI for it not how to implement it on the back side.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Couldn't it work like CM did where it would just feed apps data in the format they expect but with values that are obviously fake? Seems like if you did that and indicated that the request was denied old apps would continue to function and new apps would take advantage of the response to adapt to revoked permissions.

Well, this is Google, so it'll probably work that way eventually, but for the first several months it'll crash a bunch of apps and cause random reboots and wakelocks while Google denies that there is any problem.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Did anyone install Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X yet? I wanted some feedback before I went through with it as I'm hearing mixed things.

The battery life on my Moto X is pretty abysmal, but I came from a RAZR MAXX HD so maybe I am spoiled. I swear, if the RAZR MAXX HD had 2GB of RAM (I don't even care about the CPU) I would probably use that phone the rest of my life. Any phones on the horizon with that kind of 3300mAh battery?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Do we get a live thread for Google I/O keynote or does no one care?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, this is Google, so it'll probably work that way eventually, but for the first several months it'll crash a bunch of apps and cause random reboots and wakelocks while Google denies that there is any problem.

While you're right, Google will gently caress this up, I wouldn't blame the wakelocks on them. What will happen is they'll give an indicator to the app that it lacks that permission so the Facebook app some poorly coded app will just never sleep and constantly request the data until you decide to let it. It will use the permission denied flag to throw a popup telling the user that revoking the permission will cause the app to "malfunction" and "for the best experience" to re-enable it. Then it will wait five seconds and request location or your contacts or whatever again starting the cycle over ad infinitum.

This will not show up in the battery stats in any way and everyone will blame Android M for the reduction in battery life due to apps hammering the OS until their permissions are restored.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Melmac posted:

Did anyone install Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X yet? I wanted some feedback before I went through with it as I'm hearing mixed things.

The battery life on my Moto X is pretty abysmal, but I came from a RAZR MAXX HD so maybe I am spoiled. I swear, if the RAZR MAXX HD had 2GB of RAM (I don't even care about the CPU) I would probably use that phone the rest of my life. Any phones on the horizon with that kind of 3300mAh battery?

The new Moto X 2015 is rumored to have 3000 or more. The G4 will have a 3000mAh battery and you could try a Xperia Z3, Huawei Honor 6, etc... All are 5.5" or less.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Do we get a live thread for Google I/O keynote or does no one care?

I care. I don't remember there being a dedicated live I/O thread for last year. My memory sucks though.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

JayKay posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony XSP-N1BT car head unit? According to various reviews, it's a great concept with poor implementation.

Since I just want something that does regular radio and bluetooth calling/audio, it might be worth it even if my LG G3 wont fit in the dock.

Edit: Yes I realize Android Auto is around the corner.

I have one and it worked great for the first few months, but now the clip that holds the phone down has been increasingly prone to releasing for no apparent reason.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The new Moto X 2015 is rumored to have 3000 or more. The G4 will have a 3000mAh battery and you could try a Xperia Z3, Huawei Honor 6, etc... All are 5.5" or less.

Wow that's great, thanks. I'd really prefer a screen 4.5" or smaller but I'm sure I'm in the minority and that those days are over. The 2013 Moto X is CONSTANTLY slipping out of my hand because it's slightly too big for my girly hands, and the backing appears to have been made out of butter. Before someone calls me a klutz, know that I never even once dropped my RAZR MAXX HD (due to the awesome rubbery back material and the fact that it's flat and not curved). 4" to 4.5" screens with a 3000mAh battery I assume are a pipe dream?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Hungry Computer posted:

I have one and it worked great for the first few months, but now the clip that holds the phone down has been increasingly prone to releasing for no apparent reason.

Yeah, I've seen long-use reviews that say the gears that are attached to the bar tend to strip or wear out over time.

What phone are you using with it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the nightmare is the UI for it not how to implement it on the back side.

Basically parts of the system are walled off by default, unless you specifically include a particular permission. Without it, code that works with those features and those library calls won't work, and it'll crash as a result. The permissions system is a way of saying to the user 'look, this is the stuff this app is designed to access, so don't install it if you're not happy with this'

A granular system where any permission can be revoked at any time basically lets the user arbitrarily throw a spanner in the works. Now your code has to account for things suddenly not being available, with checks and alternative code paths to gracefully handle the fact that it can't do what it was doing anymore. You need to make a version of your app that works, and then versions that trip along without bits of functionality they need - and making those not-really-working versions will be expected, because that's the system they're moving to

And this is for the ideal case where you're starting fresh on an app and planning everything with this in mind. Retrofitting all these failsafes and other behaviours could be a serious amount of work - and there's already enough code that's a house of cards as it is, relying on the state of things being what's expected, instead of engineering it so you're absolutely sure at every step

It could be real bad, but I guess we'll see!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly though I've never heard of anyone having issues with the way CM did it and they're CM. The way they did it, the library calls work just as they would normally except they give fake data. Apps don't crash (although I guess if your pizza app had its location permission revoked you might silently send pizzas to Antarctica) and work as expected.

You did touch on the main problem with it which is that it's okay for CM to send address books full of John Does living at 123 Fake Street when an app asks for your contact list to send to China because CM users are willing to put up with janky poo poo that can have hosed up things happen. When mom decides Maps shouldn't be trusted with location data however I'm not sure that's going to fail in an elegant way with the CM method.

And of course if Google says well, okay, some permissions are necessary for an app to work so the developer can mark those irrevocable then I guess every permission for every app is now necessary and irrevocable!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

I care. I don't remember there being a dedicated live I/O thread for last year. My memory sucks though.

I'll whip one up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What will happen is they'll give an indicator to the app that it lacks that permission so the Facebook app some poorly coded app will just never sleep and constantly request the data until you decide to let it.
A lot of these permissions work with callbacks. With location, for example, you say "hey Android get me the current device location and when you have it let me know by calling me back with this bit of code". Your app carries on doing whatever until that happens and when it does you can react to now having a location available. Allowing the user to disable location on a per-app basis shouldn't cause any major problems any more than disabling location services does right now. Unless your app is monumentally poorly written you might end up getting stuck in a dialog box but it doesn't explode.

Retrieving contact data uses Cursors, as far as I remember (I've never had a reason to use this one) so you basically say "there is going to be a list of contacts and here's how they will be displayed on the screen" and then you ask Android to fill the list and it gets displayed.

So those kinds of permissions should already be set up to fail gracefully because the default state is that no data has come back yet.

Permissions that get data more directly and permissions that are closely tired to other permissions will be the ones that cause problems if the OS sometimes refuses to provide that data. I'm trying to think of a good example, probably some of the settings-related permissions. I guess Android could just throw a default value back at these apps and it'd mostly work fine. But what if I request permissions for INTERNET and ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE and you use the new system to only allow the first one? Let's say my app is a photo backup app that is set to only upload over Wi-Fi. Now depending on exactly how I happened to have coded this and what value Google decided my app should receive for the network state that I'm not allowed to know about your photos might always upload, never upload, upload under some network states that aren't Wi-Fi but not others, or just crashes or breaks in some other random way. And sure, I should update my app to fix that, but what if I don't? The user who already bought my app who doesn't really understand what the difference between these two permissions is now gets shafted and doesn't understand why.

I imagine Google will group up the current permissions so that those two, for example, and other related permissions will come under one user-facing permission called "app can do internety things" or whatever.

The problems are largely solvable, and Google certainly have the resources and expertise to do so, but it's a potentially messy area that needs a lot of careful thought to get right. Please get it right Google.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 28, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Google I/O Keynote discussion thread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722702&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post445867939

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Yay, debut the perfect phone and android wearable please.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I've seen long-use reviews that say the gears that are attached to the bar tend to strip or wear out over time.

What phone are you using with it?

Originally a Nexus 5, but now an S6 Edge. In both cases a Diztronic tpu case was enough to stop the power button from being pressed all the time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Honestly though I've never heard of anyone having issues with the way CM did it and they're CM. The way they did it, the library calls work just as they would normally except they give fake data. Apps don't crash (although I guess if your pizza app had its location permission revoked you might silently send pizzas to Antarctica) and work as expected.

You did touch on the main problem with it which is that it's okay for CM to send address books full of John Does living at 123 Fake Street when an app asks for your contact list to send to China because CM users are willing to put up with janky poo poo that can have hosed up things happen. When mom decides Maps shouldn't be trusted with location data however I'm not sure that's going to fail in an elegant way with the CM method.

And of course if Google says well, okay, some permissions are necessary for an app to work so the developer can mark those irrevocable then I guess every permission for every app is now necessary and irrevocable!

Well like Tunga's saying, those tend to be permissions about querying some dataset on the device, so it's easier to insert some mock result provider that just blows the app off and returns dummy data. Internally the app is allowed to make those calls (doing it without permission = crash), and it successfully receives valid data. It's just that the data is lies. (I'm making a few assumptions about how this CM thing works obviously)

Actually revoking the permissions means that certain code won't be allowed to execute. They might rework this so that you can call stuff but it will always fail or return null or something, but suddenly you have to constantly keep checking stuff that you could take for granted before. Not necessarily things you should have been taking for granted, but Java is verbose and packed full of boilerplate as it is, and coding horrors will always exist. Fact is a lot of stuff that did work fine will suddenly hit a lot of problems that generally never existed before, and they might manifest in all kinds of complicated ways.

Even well-behaved apps might start 'failing' from the user's perspective, because they're hitting problems that are meant to be exceptional outliers, and they try to gracefully and transparently handle it behind the scenes, because they don't realise that something's permanently failing and the user needs to be told because it's their fault

It all depends on exactly what they do and how they help people to move over to the new system, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into app Jenga when people start revoking stuff

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Melmac posted:

Wow that's great, thanks. I'd really prefer a screen 4.5" or smaller but I'm sure I'm in the minority and that those days are over. The 2013 Moto X is CONSTANTLY slipping out of my hand because it's slightly too big for my girly hands, and the backing appears to have been made out of butter. Before someone calls me a klutz, know that I never even once dropped my RAZR MAXX HD (due to the awesome rubbery back material and the fact that it's flat and not curved). 4" to 4.5" screens with a 3000mAh battery I assume are a pipe dream?

I searched for a 4" to 4.7" screen with 2600mAh or more battery with 9 results (if you get a 5" screen you get a tad more):
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?fDisplayInchesMin=4&fDisplayInchesMax=4.7&nBatCapacityMin=2600&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2440,2500

LG Volt has a 4.7" screen (540 x 960) and 3000mAh battery, Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM...
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_volt-6357.php

I personally would go with a Z3C. It doen't have a 3000mAh battery but is awesome on the rest (a coworker reported me that its battery life is really nice).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Yay, debut the perfect phone and android wearable please.

But the droid turbo is already out?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

Even before getting into how it works I'm wondering why the internet seems to have collectively forgotten that Sundar Pichai actually announced a privacy management thing as part of Lollipop at Google IO 2014 and then never shipped it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

IO Live Chat here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3722702

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

happy that I can revoke the microphone from my free flashlight. Android marzipan is looking solid.

e: full USB type-c support. This is looking good for motox 2015.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 28, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are there still certain apps that monumentally improve device performance if uninstalled?

The last example I can think of is Moves. An iOS user I know uses/used that app to track his walks and where he's been. I installed it and had a month of the shortest battery life I've ever had on any mobile device thanks to constant GPS polling to make the whole "location timeline" function work. I don't know if iOS handles that sort of thing more efficiently, or what.

incoherent posted:

happy that I can revoke the microphone from my free flashlight.

Lollipop has flashlight built into quick controls. If you could revoke the permission, you wouldn't need a free flashlight.

Vagrancy posted:

Even before getting into how it works I'm wondering why the internet seems to have collectively forgotten that Sundar Pichai actually announced a privacy management thing as part of Lollipop at Google IO 2014 and then never shipped it.

All I remember was holding down on notifications to see what app initiated it, so you know whose notification privileges should be revoked. They did ship that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 28, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

1) Moto x 2013 isn't updated with loli and 2) I need to send morse code signals to nautical vessels. If marzapan has that option i'll be all set.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You're missing my point. If you have a device that can run M, you won't need crummy free flashlight apps, because made flashlight a system function built into the pulldown drawer starting with L. That was all I was getting at.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Melmac posted:

You picked the wrong back color/material.

Just get a Z3c.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kri kri posted:

But the droid turbo is already out?

Turbo has physical buttons.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

Turbo has physical buttons.

Having those buttons rotate around all over the screen is dumb, but we're treading old ground and beating horse skeletons here.

Anyway the Turbo (or the international variants) is the best phone of '14.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, having buttons move to where your thumbs are is super dumb. I agree. Ron Paul 2014.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ruby idiot railed posted:

Anyway the Turbo (or the international variants) is the best phone of '14.
Best phone of '14, running an OS from '13 halfway through '15.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The nVidia Shield Android TV box is now available through Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

Engadget hands on: NVIDIA's Shield Android TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, having buttons move to where your thumbs are is super dumb. I agree. Ron Paul 2014.

This is not actually a problem since the two effective rotations you're gonna use out of 3 (ya I'm gonna use my phone upside down for giggles are you loving kidding me) your thumb is where the buttons are anyway. Hillary '16.

(and the last of the 3, your other loving thumb I guess)

butt dickus posted:

Best phone of '14, running an OS from '13 halfway through '15.

Seems reasonable. International variants all have 5.0, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 28, 2015