Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I can only assume LEGO's own Helicarrier and Jurassic World sets made for some easy rejections from this batch. The next batch has 13 sets, which should be interesting. If I was wagering money, I'd think that they'd do something with the science sets - ala Research Lab.

Norns posted:

Wait. Is that hornet being made? I don't give a gently caress about star citizen, but that looks rad.
Hopefully!

quote:

Still considering F7A Hornet.
[...] Our final decision will take some time, and we’ll share details when we’re able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I recognize the skill required to design the Maze, but it's still a boring model. It's something you'd watch a video of on Brothers Brick and then forget about.

The Museum is really the only one of this bunch that I would have been interested in. It's too bad Ideas seems to be sticking to the $40-$70 range for models.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Bummer, I would have liked & gotten the piano.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

VaultAggie posted:

drat, there's a lot of Ideas sets coming out, or announced at least. The maze, Wall-E, Doctor Who, and Big bang Theory, all going to end up on my shelf.

Any word on release dates or what these sets will actually look like? I'm actually kinda suprised that Wall-E hasn't at least been previewed or had a street date yet, since they already have a good partnership with Disney. I could imagine Dr. Who and BBT having trouble with licensing rights.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Norns posted:

Wait. Is that hornet being made? I don't give a gently caress about star citizen, but that looks rad.
Even without buying into the game we can spend hundreds of dollars on a fake spaceship. :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey, lego is real. :colbert:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The NHM in London is one of my favourite buildings so I would have been all over that model even though I don't really collect lego

Diplodocus should be dark brown/black tho :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife built us some shelves

Don't know where to put the instruction bin, though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EvilJoven posted:

Burn 'em. What are you, Lord Business?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I am realllllly bummed that Jurassic Park didn't make the cut, but I knew it was a long shot. The main thing I wanted out of it was the bricksauria T-Rex though, and that's up for consideration in the fall, so I still hold out hope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm surprised the T-rex didn't get approved out of the gate. Seems perfect for the ideas platform. Price maybe? It looked big.

His stegosaurus is even better.

Edit: oh it just hasn't been in review yet. Nevermind.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 29, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Factor Mystic posted:

I am realllllly bummed that Jurassic Park didn't make the cut, but I knew it was a long shot. The main thing I wanted out of it was the bricksauria T-Rex though, and that's up for consideration in the fall, so I still hold out hope.

There's a rumour we're going to get JP sets in the same way we got classic Indiana Jones sets after the initial Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls sets. So, you know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6as8oVcuM

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Here'sa cross post from PYF if it hasn't shown up here already.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

EvilJoven posted:

I have a couple of 3 ring binders w/ plastic page envelopes (whatever the hell they're called). Works pretty well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My current instructions storage system is the box that benny's spaceship came in.

Before that it was the box for some technic set, but I outgrew it around last summer. :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yep. I'm using my bwing UCS box to store mine right now.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Using the Palace Theatre box for my instructions

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I have my instructions and stickers grouped into ziplocs and put into airtight file boxes in my small storage unit. Didn't want normal sterlite boxes in the storage unit, since it's unheated/uncooled and didn't want to risk moisture destroying them. Probably like 4-5 boxes at this point.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Amoeba102 posted:

Here'sa cross post from PYF if it hasn't shown up here already.

Needs a stream of flame pieces on the guitar. 8/10

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ChesterJT posted:

Needs a stream of flame pieces on the guitar. :mediocre:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ooh, I never realised the Pirates island sets snap together. I combined the imperial forts and it's a really pretty set. I'll have to try to make more things in that style.

How long has Lego been doing that? I remember the Dol Guldur sets from the Hobbit line combined into a bigger whole. Back during my childhood the only sets I remember being designed to combine (not counting reassembly) was the Life On Mars line where the big mechs would dock in the depot ports, which isn't quite the same idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Ooh, I never realised the Pirates island sets snap together. I combined the imperial forts and it's a really pretty set. I'll have to try to make more things in that style.

How long has Lego been doing that? I remember the Dol Guldur sets from the Hobbit line combined into a bigger whole. Back during my childhood the only sets I remember being designed to combine (not counting reassembly) was the Life On Mars line where the big mechs would dock in the depot ports, which isn't quite the same idea.

In the mid-eighties, castle sets (castles and smaller fortifications) had hinges in the corners and had Technics bits with holes and a peg holding them so you could open them up and combine them into a fucklong wall or oddly-shaped castle. :corsair:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 30, 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My instructions are in a sturdy somewhat fancy cardboard box that Lego gave their employees last year's christmas gift in :allears: (It was a comfortable Lego blanket!)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Soooooo I wound up at the Natick Mall Lego Store and my friend pointed out that one of the slots in the Pick A Brick wall had googly eyes

I may have filled half a PAB cup with googly eyes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I scooped up a couple handfuls when those showed up.

I like their new idea of putting a small set on the PAB wall, the giraffe produced some unusual part selections.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After moving the UCS B-wing twice recently I kind of love/hate that thing so much. It's such a great looking set, but I have never seen one so flimsy that falls apart in the such baffling ways. I'm kind of surprised such a fragile build even made it into production. It's falls apart if you look at it funny. The other 2 UCS sets I have are pretty rock solid.

At the same time it's an absolutely awesome looking B-wing that is pushing 2 feet long...just don't sneeze on it or anything.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finished the Tower Bridge build with the GF. It took us 7.5 hours.
We did not sort the parts but dumped them into the lower half of the cardboard box it came in and a large kitchen bowl (bags with small parts).
The building was fun, and we built for 1-2 hours at a time over several days.
Since you basically build 2 identical towers with 2 identical connection bits and 2 identical side roads, this model lends itself perfectly for 2 builders.

On your own, this can be a repetitive build as you will be doing a lot of identical stuff for the 4 sides of one tower and then the same again for the other tower.

Overall a nice model but it is a bit flimsy due to the tower walls being thin and the hollow interior. Could do with some custom reinforcement.

On the other hand this allows easy customizability with LEDs to illuminate the windows from within.

I can't wait to put this on display in our living room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've seen the Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman set out on shelves here in the UK today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

After moving the UCS B-wing twice recently I kind of love/hate that thing so much. It's such a great looking set, but I have never seen one so flimsy that falls apart in the such baffling ways. I'm kind of surprised such a fragile build even made it into production. It's falls apart if you look at it funny. The other 2 UCS sets I have are pretty rock solid.

At the same time it's an absolutely awesome looking B-wing that is pushing 2 feet long...just don't sneeze on it or anything.

I play with the Sandcrawler a lot, and the outer plates just pop off with little provocation, and I have managed to gently caress up the bridge area a couple times which is hard to get back together right. Also the drawbridge mechanism has come apart once or twice.

Oh and the treads are really loving fiddly, they can get slightly misaligned and really mess with the smoothness of how it rolls.

I love it though, I don't know how they could really fix any of that, except maybe the drawbridge mechanism.

daveline
Nov 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Any chance you could take a pic of them put together? Been thinking of getting these sets and if I could do that I think I'd get the lot

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tenebrais posted:

Blacktron 1 had interchangeable spaceship parts, and I think some of the forestmen sets wee meant to be combined, but maybe I am thinking of the castles of that era.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
That's what made the Battrax one of my all-time favorite sets. Space monster truck? Sure. Low altitude reconnaissance glider? Why not. Single pilot fighter with gimbal wings? gently caress yeah! "Feel the pain, space research station! "

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first lego set I can think of that was designed to be broken apart was the Cosmic Fleet Voyager, which was sold in 1986. It wasn't designed to connect to anything else though, it was just a giant spaceship that also happened to be a moon base.

Ships with smaller vehicles were pretty common at that time too, Cosmic Cruiser was hilarious because it was a spaceship with another spaceship inside it.

Looking it up, the Gamma-V Laser Craft was earlier than the Voyager, but it didn't do much. The cockpit just popped off for mini swooshing action.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I just got done putting together Blue Power Jet. It was pretty fun to build and there's some interesting stuff going on in the body and the wings. It's very swooshable. Unlike a lot of Creator sets the cockpit actually fits minifigs intentionally. I got the May Spider Man freebie along with this purchase so Spider Man is currently defeating the mecha-spider-thing with his new Blue Power Jet
:hellyeah:

However, there's one really bad design element to this set and that is the vertical rudders. They only have a single point of attachment which is a single technic bar that slots into each rudder. They feel really weak and wobbly and they're easy to bend in an uncomfortable way and some kid is definitely going to swish it and break that bar.

Other than that I like it a lot, and I love owning these awesome blue pieces.

xzzy posted:

Ships with smaller vehicles were pretty common at that time too, Cosmic Cruiser was hilarious because it was a spaceship with another spaceship inside it.

One of my favorite older sets that I own, Blacktron II's Aerial Invader, has a sweet front articulating panel that you lift which drops a ramp and a dune buggy rolls out. It's awesome.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 31, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

daveline posted:

Any chance you could take a pic of them put together? Been thinking of getting these sets and if I could do that I think I'd get the lot

Please excuse the crappy photo:

Those two snap together, and there's a corresponding pair of pirate islands that snap together according to the box art.

daveline
Nov 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Please excuse the crappy photo:

Those two snap together, and there's a corresponding pair of pirate islands that snap together according to the box art.

Thanks! They look really good I think I'll have to get them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does Lego still do those big flimsy base plates they did in the 90s? The ones that had hills/pools etc. I don't really see those anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think they do the terrain ones anymore, but the completely flat ones are still made.

I have a few of the super tall ones, like an egyptian one and some kind of castle themed grassy hill. I hate them because they take an enormous amount of space to store.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flat runway or ones with moon craters for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spotted on flickr, this owns:

Bricks Cascade 2015 by Chris Christian, on Flickr