Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Inverse Icarus posted:

Knyteguy's Finances: gently caress me this is harder than I was thinking.

Please change to this, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
The charity run is still on though guys

This is a lateral move as a household, but my wife wouldn't have to work and could pursue a better career. I wouldn't consider it a lateral move for me, depending on the offer of course.

My wife could work on building skills for say 6 months and land a better job down there in say 8. Good timing as the baby would then be 1.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 27, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

savesthedayrocks posted:

I've been just skimming the job bs waiting for a budget, so I may have missed it but why don't you show current employer your offer from San Diego, adjust it to Reno salary, and ask for that before moving? You said that's what your boss told you to do. Seems like best of both worlds.

Disclaimer- I know nothing about dev jobs

Don't have a lot of time (my boss has been out of the office for the past 3 weeks :stare: and he's finally back), but I wanted to get to this. Yes this is absolutely a possibility. But the only thing is, I don't want to do this unless I'm prepared to move to San Diego otherwise. I would lose out on some career development by not going, but I'm still young and there's time to build my career. But if I am wrong and my boss doesn't like it for whatever reason, then I could be out a job. I don't know if they'd match $78,000 25% is a pretty big raise.

Horking I'm not giving up on FI. No way. Yes it's an undefinable distance away right now, but it's my driving motivation. However a big part of that is 1) getting out of debt and 2) making good money. I'm in the process of trying to achieve both.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

My wife could work on building skills for say 6 months and land a better job down there in say 8. Good timing as the baby would then be 1.

What was stopping her from doing that prior to having the baby?

Are you assuming that working her old job with no baby is more or less work than watching a baby full time while her husband works late hours?

Why do you think it would be easy for her to land a better job with a new skillset eightish months from now?

Why does the baby being 1 at that point matter?

How much of her new salary would go directly to childcare?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

n8r posted:

What steps have you taken to find remote jobs?
I find it very hard to believe that you currently have the one single programming related job in Reno. There are opportunities locally that you are not exploring. What are you doing to find jobs locally? Where I live the best jobs are still in the newpaper classified ads, I wouldn't be surprised if Reno is similar.

Reposting here

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

This is a lateral move as a household, but my wife wouldn't have to work and could pursue a better career. I wouldn't consider it a lateral move for me, depending on the offer of course.

What skills would she be building? How? Without a concrete plan this will never happen.

I've also heard that taking care of an infant is work too, so will she really have a ton of time if she is watching the kiddo all day?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I don't know if they'd match $78,000 25% is a pretty big raise.

Don't you dare keep thinking like this. If your current employer is going to match, you should ask them to match the number on your offer letter. Forget about cost of living when you are negotiating where you already are. It would be idiotic of you to go to them and say, 'they offered me $105,000, but its more expensive to live there so I'll take $78,000.' Just tell them what you got offered and let them decide how much you are worth. Might be $65k. May be $78k. Might be $105k. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Again.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There is no planet where KG gets a 25% raise given when he's described of his job. He should sit down and have a realtalk with his boss explaining to him that he wants a raise - ask for something reasonable like 10%. If that doesn't happen ask how he can make it happen. If the boss gives him the run around he should continue to look for local/remote employment.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Don't you dare keep thinking like this. If your current employer is going to match, you should ask them to match the number on your offer letter. Forget about cost of living when you are negotiating where you already are. It would be idiotic of you to go to them and say, 'they offered me $105,000, but its more expensive to live there so I'll take $78,000.' Just tell them what you got offered and let them decide how much you are worth. Might be $65k. May be $78k. Might be $105k. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Again.

Ah, good point. Alright if we decide SD would work out, then I'll do this. I can guarantee if it went well it would earn me some respect, considering it a consultancy.

n8r posted:

There is no planet where KG gets a 25% raise given when he's described of his job. He should sit down and have a realtalk with his boss explaining to him that he wants a raise - ask for something reasonable like 10%. If that doesn't happen ask how he can make it happen. If the boss gives him the run around he should continue to look for local/remote employment.

Well my boss knows I'm underpaid. It's laid back for sure, but I do a good job, I haven't called in sick in a year, and I'm the first in line for phone and email tech support now (:smithicide:). So new responsibilities, increased professionalism, and a greater skill set are all things I've picked up this year. I dunno what I should be getting paid anymore though. BLS median for "Software Developer" is $93,000. I'm sure software engineer is higher, which is my planned career path.

I'll get to the bigger stuff later still everyone.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

titles are pretty meaningless in software dev unless they are a corporate thing (like google's swe3 etc). glassdoor is also pretty useless for salary comparisons since it's all self reported

if you can write a medium complexity angular/iOS/android app your market value is easily $100k. probably the same goes for .NET/c# but i have little practical experience there

i don't know any devs making $60k that aren't either criminally underpaid or basically incompetent and i live in canada where salaries are already low enough anyone who can moves to the usa asap

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

It is essentially a lateral move for you. That is what everyone is telling you.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

Horking I'm not giving up on FI. No way. Yes it's an undefinable distance away right now, but it's my driving motivation. However a big part of that is 1) getting out of debt and 2) making good money. I'm in the process of trying to achieve both.

You need to take a serious look at your finances and future expenses if you ever want to achieve FI. It is much harder and involves much more financial awareness and self-control than anything you are currently struggling with. You don't live a FI lifestyle. Being FI might free you from the shackles of employment, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to afford random 5000 dollar lease breaks or 2000 dollar vacations or eating out more than once a month. You're trading one cage for another. It's not some magic bullet of unlimited spending and no work.

How do you think people achieve FI in the first place? What do you think they're sacrificing to get there, and are you willing to make those sacrifices? You don't have forever to figure it out. You have what, 35 years until retirement? Minus one for every year you want to retire early. Minus however long it takes you to pay off your debt.

If you're serious about it, you should be busting rear end and pinching pennies right now. (Or just don't do it -- there's no shame in that, just try and be more self-aware of what your actual priorities are versus what you think they are.)

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

You guys seem to know an awful lot about a job offer that doesn't exist/hasn't been posted yet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

You need to take a serious look at your finances and future expenses if you ever want to achieve FI. It is much harder and involves much more financial awareness and self-control than anything you are currently struggling with. You don't live a FI lifestyle. Being FI might free you from the shackles of employment, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to afford random 5000 dollar lease breaks or 2000 dollar vacations or eating out more than once a month. You're trading one cage for another. It's not some magic bullet of unlimited spending and no work.

How do you think people achieve FI in the first place? What do you think they're sacrificing to get there, and are you willing to make those sacrifices? You don't have forever to figure it out. You have what, 35 years until retirement? Minus one for every year you want to retire early. Minus however long it takes you to pay off your debt.

If you're serious about it, you should be busting rear end and pinching pennies right now. (Or just don't do it -- there's no shame in that, just try and be more self-aware of what your actual priorities are versus what you think they are.)

Well yea you have to save, but I haven't broken a $5000 lease or taken a $2000 vacation. I haven't taken a vacation more than a few hours from home in years and years and those were just overnight.

Like I've done the math. If we didn't have rent or debt we would right now be at about mr money mustache levels of spending. From what I've been seeing, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been seeing much of it comes down to income, and avoiding big expensive purchases.

Like imagine if DCB's family cut their spending down to ours.. Their savings rate would nuts.

Not trying to argue semantics but I don't think it takes rice and beans necessarily. I actually agree with you for the most part, but I think you're being too critical of me. Our budget isn't that wasteful, and when we get out of debt our savings rate will be much better.

E still on my phone guys and it crashes randomly with big posts, I will get to the concerns I said I would this evening still.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 28, 2015

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

Like I've done the math. If we didn't have rent or debt we would right now be at about mr money mustache levels of spending.

But you do have those things. You will have those things for a long time yet. I think it's comments like that which make people think you aren't looking at reality and fixating too much on the optimistic side of things.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

But you do have those things. You will have those things for a long time yet. I think it's comments like that which make people think you aren't looking at reality and fixating too much on the optimistic side of things.

Why do you think I am being unrealistic? Like provide me with an example of what I should be fixating on? It seems to me that keeping our expense to income ratio the same or better, coming up with a plan for my wife to become a paralegal, and then executing would be more valuable than cutting our discretionary down $30 or something. I see value absolutely in cutting expenses, but we're at a pretty good point I feel like.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 28, 2015

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Knyteguy posted:

Alright if we decide SD would work out, then I'll do this.
This is something of a tangent, but in making any decision regarding San Diego one thing you need to be realistic about is how unbelievably hard it sucks to commute in California. You're going to be tempted to live far from your work so you aren't all squashed in a tiny condo, but trust me it will ruin your life. There's something about sitting in gridlock surrounded by angry assholes that saps your soul. If you can't afford to live within a reasonable distance of your work place (and in San Diego, you probably can't), don't take the job.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Giraffe posted:

This is something of a tangent, but in making any decision regarding San Diego one thing you need to be realistic about is how unbelievably hard it sucks to commute in California. You're going to be tempted to live far from your work so you aren't all squashed in a tiny condo, but trust me it will ruin your life. There's something about sitting in gridlock surrounded by angry assholes that saps your soul. If you can't afford to live within a reasonable distance of your work place (and in San Diego, you probably can't), don't take the job.

I am concerned about the commute. I was looking though and San Diego has a trolley near a suburb. The commute would still be long (~1hr), but I was thinking I could read or something on the way? Does anyone have experience with this? I've done a 40 minute commute here in town and that's manageable.

Horking Delight posted:

Hey sorry Horking I misread some of your post. I don't want to necessarily early retire, I just want to achieve FI to have some options. I'll probably work, but I don't want to have to work. My wife and I also would like to start a charity some day, perhaps finally be able to focus all of my attention on a business, and etc etc. I can see what you're saying about FI being a cage of another sort since you're still conscience and cautious of all spending. That's a good point, and I hadn't thought of it like that.

the talent deficit posted:

titles are pretty meaningless in software dev unless they are a corporate thing (like google's swe3 etc). glassdoor is also pretty useless for salary comparisons since it's all self reported

if you can write a medium complexity angular/iOS/android app your market value is easily $100k. probably the same goes for .NET/c# but i have little practical experience there

i don't know any devs making $60k that aren't either criminally underpaid or basically incompetent and i live in canada where salaries are already low enough anyone who can moves to the usa asap

Funnily enough, before I started this thread I was actually looking into relocating to Canada as a developer. I even was speaking to a Canadian lawyer about getting a work visa. Free consultation of course.

Yea I don't know the C# market all that well. My only experience with mobile apps has been Windows 8.1 since we use it at work, and coming up Windows 10 when we inevitably upgrade. I could pick em up.

n8r posted:

I find it very hard to believe that you currently have the one single programming related job in Reno. There are opportunities locally that you are not exploring. What are you doing to find jobs locally? Where I live the best jobs are still in the newpaper classified ads, I wouldn't be surprised if Reno is similar.

I'll check some local newspapers. I've looked at remote jobs a lot in the past. Many seem to want very experienced developers. Most Yahoo jobs were remote work IIRC, but I think that was changing.

quote:

Wife's work questions.

Oh you bet the baby is work, but I've watched him and managed to release some software while doing so, so it's possible. The difference in her motivation between previous times and current times are she has a clear career path. She's more willing to sacrifice with an ambition now. Before she was kind of aimless. Paralegal is a hot field now, and I think she's confident she can do it with the advice everyone has been giving her.

Got company I can't add more. Just let me know if I missed something important (n8r I'll still get to your questions after some thought).

e: paralegal not transcription

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 28, 2015

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

Why do you think I am being unrealistic? Like provide me with an example of what I should be fixating on? It seems to me that keeping our expense to income ratio the same or better, coming up with a plan for my wife to become a paralegal, and then executing would be more valuable than cutting our discretionary down $30 or something. I see value absolutely in cutting expenses, but we're at a pretty good point I feel like.

You are always so defensive.

I am not going to go through all your posts to show how you often talk about the optimistic side of your grand ideas rather than the realistic side. Often it takes someone else pointing out the flaws of your ideas for you to realize that, "hey-- maybe I'm looking at this through rose colored glasses." Others have pointed out that you do this. I am merely giving you an example of why people may have this opinion of you.

What should you be fixating on? Why the gently caress are you asking me that? It's your life. But there's no point in saying, "If we didn't have rent or debt." Why say that? Yeah, if you didn't, you'd be rolling in money. So would everyone else. But that's not the situation, is it? So why think that way? It's a waste of time. "Ocean" and "NBA and NFL" or whatever? Seriously? That's on a list of reasons to move? Waste of time. Putting that poo poo on what's supposed to be a serious list of reasons to move makes you seem almost childish. I literally rolled my eyes when I read that.

gently caress, dude, I dunno. Maybe it is like someone else said: the stuff you say is not necessarily the stuff you mean, and it can be frustrating.

Edit: someone else mentioned getting hired with a consulting firm and possibly doing remote work that way. This is what my husband does currently. It's pretty awesome.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 28, 2015

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

How do you think you will get to the place where you would live without rent or debt? You have to have a place to end up. They are not giving free houses out. My wife and I refinanced to a 15 year mortgage and are still paying extra on it so that we won't have payments in 12 years and own our house outright. You just moved from an apartment, to a rental house, and are considering moving to a higher cost area where you have NO chance of buying a house. Be realistic and calm down. Enjoy your son for the next few months and go about this job change logically. Don't turn into your mother.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You're missing the point again Knyteguy. If FI is your #1 priority, you need to make all your decisions with that in mind.

Everyone is telling you that you are not actually being driven by FI motivations. That mindset is not ingrained and you are waffle on it constantly. Truthfully, do you think the San Diego job gets you closer to financial independence? Does your current level of savings and budgeting set you up for financial independence? None of the reasoning behind your thinking gives any indication that you're doing with FI in mind.

When you broke your lease and moved, you have thought about it in terms of how much farther away you would be from FI. Was the tradeoff worth it? Only you can say, but people get frustrated if you say you want to reach financial independence while a ton of your decisions spit in the face of that.

Every financial decision you make, ask yourself if it's helping or hurting your goal. Then stop doing the ones that hurt. That means sacrifice, it means learning to be happy with what you have, it means accepting that you can't have everything at once and the ultimate goal is worth it.

If it turns out you don't really want financial independence badly enough to work at it as your #1 priority, that's fine. But if it is, then no one wants to hear your poo poo about why a decision is good for you unless you've first considered it against your goal of financial independence.

Another thing to note is that FI is a means, not an end. You might be just as happy or even happier if you choose not to pursue it and accomplish your family goals or life goals without FI.

In any case, having the right mindset and right priorities will lead you to the right behavior. Right now you're all over the place and no one can tell what you really want, because what you say and what you want to do almost never match up.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
How is your therapy going?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I'll check some local newspapers. I've looked at remote jobs a lot in the past. Many seem to want very experienced developers.

Hi, I work at Google but have previously been a software dev at a post-IPO small company / former startup, and a giant west coast software company, and a corporate behemoth that happened to need devs. They all had employees who wanted to work entirely remotely, but it's always been one of the following cases:

1) Temp work, where it's not worth the cost of the plane ticket to bring the employee out to the main office.

2) Tiny special snowflake company which is into decentralized workspaces. It was a social progress thing for them. Great work if you can get it, but it's often open-source low-pay stuff, and fiercely competitive nonetheless.

3) Absurdly talented devs who use their utter necessity as leverage to get outsized perks. These people just wake up one day and say "I'm going to Nepal. I'll write the service from there. Someone give me a satellite modem and a ToughBook, I'll be back in a month." And the company does, because the alternative is firing the guy, and hell, he does great work.

You don't want to be #1, and you're not qualified to be #3 yet, and saying that #2 is a crapshoot is putting it generously.

What I'm saying is, don't plan for finding remote work. If you do find it, especially if it pays tolerably, jump all over that and cross your fingers, but it's so unlikely I would hardly waste time looking.

quote:

Most Yahoo jobs were remote work IIRC, but I think that was changing.

The story with Yahoo is a little different than any of the above; since there weren't any metrics for developer productivity, everybody hosed off and just pretended to work from home. Almost nobody got anything done that way. They stopped allowing it except in special cases, for that reason. So I guess there's also a #4 option, dysfunctional bullshit, and you don't want that either.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

SolTerrasa posted:

3) Absurdly talented devs who use their utter necessity as leverage to get outsized perks. These people just wake up one day and say "I'm going to Nepal. I'll write the service from there. Someone give me a satellite modem and a ToughBook, I'll be back in a month." And the company does, because the alternative is firing the guy, and hell, he does great work.

You don't want to be #1, and you're not qualified to be #3 yet, and saying that #2 is a crapshoot is putting it generously.

100% this. unless you luck into a job that's got an all remote team because the cto or engineering lead likes to work from thai beaches or parisian cafes the only way to get a good remote job is to have hard to find skills or already be a name brand on twitter or github or whatever. people encouraging knyteguy to look for remote work are sending him on a wild goose chase unless he's an expert at cassandra or erlang or kafka or something similar and hasn't mentioned it for some reason

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Knyteguy posted:

I am concerned about the commute. I was looking though and San Diego has a trolley near a suburb. The commute would still be long (~1hr), but I was thinking I could read or something on the way? Does anyone have experience with this? I've done a 40 minute commute here in town and that's manageable

Is it just the trolley you'd have to take or are there transfers?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

You are always so defensive.

I am not going to go through all your posts to show how you often talk about the optimistic side of your grand ideas rather than the realistic side. Often it takes someone else pointing out the flaws of your ideas for you to realize that, "hey-- maybe I'm looking at this through rose colored glasses." Others have pointed out that you do this. I am merely giving you an example of why people may have this opinion of you.

What should you be fixating on? Why the gently caress are you asking me that? It's your life. But there's no point in saying, "If we didn't have rent or debt." Why say that? Yeah, if you didn't, you'd be rolling in money. So would everyone else. But that's not the situation, is it? So why think that way? It's a waste of time. "Ocean" and "NBA and NFL" or whatever? Seriously? That's on a list of reasons to move? Waste of time. Putting that poo poo on what's supposed to be a serious list of reasons to move makes you seem almost childish. I literally rolled my eyes when I read that.

gently caress, dude, I dunno. Maybe it is like someone else said: the stuff you say is not necessarily the stuff you mean, and it can be frustrating.

Edit: someone else mentioned getting hired with a consulting firm and possibly doing remote work that way. This is what my husband does currently. It's pretty awesome.

Yea I thought it might come off defense or snarky, but that wasn't my intention. I just wanted clarification. My point was that our spending is about in line with where we'd need to be. I'm not saying there isn't a poo poo ton of hard work; I'm saying that I like our budget I don't think we need to cut any further, as justified by MMM's spending levels in similar categories. It's an imperfect comparison, but it still holds value for me.

Ocean and professional sports is huge for me, and ocean is huge for my wife. Maybe you come from a place with those, but I don't. Better concerts with bigger bands would also be on my list of reasons to move, but I'm not so sure San Diego attracts big acts. Different strokes for different folks. I could see people moving to Reno/Tahoe for the world class skiing, but it doesn't interest me personally.

Yea my boss has made like super good money doing remote consulting, but I don't think I have the experience yet. Maybe in another 2ish years or so.

something clever posted:

How is your therapy going?

It's going OK I guess. There's not a lot to talk about in sessions really. I'm supposed to take daily hour walks which I've been mostly doing (> 1.5 hours yesterday)... and that's about it. I'm still down about 10 lbs, so that's great. He actually thinks I obsess over this budget stuff too much. When I told him we went over budget and spent too much on X thing, he asked me if maybe I spent exactly the right amount. I told him I'm impulsive, he said well when presented with a decision to step back and say "let me think about that." Which I've been working on.

something clever posted:

How do you think you will get to the place where you would live without rent or debt? You have to have a place to end up. They are not giving free houses out. My wife and I refinanced to a 15 year mortgage and are still paying extra on it so that we won't have payments in 12 years and own our house outright. You just moved from an apartment, to a rental house, and are considering moving to a higher cost area where you have NO chance of buying a house. Be realistic and calm down. Enjoy your son for the next few months and go about this job change logically. Don't turn into your mother.

I told them I wanted a relo bonus which would help to cover these things. It comes down to the offer again though. If they're not willing to help me get down there, then I'd just as soon not go.

I wouldn't want to tap into savings to get down there and do this. We have an I think $2,100 or $2,200 deposit on this place, most of which we'd get back, so that would help cover the deposit down there on top of the relo.

SolTerrasa and talent deficit thanks for the info. I think a lot of places I've seen so far offered some remote work more than anything.

interrodactyl posted:

You're missing the point again Knyteguy. If FI is your #1 priority, you need to make all your decisions with that in mind.

Everyone is telling you that you are not actually being driven by FI motivations. That mindset is not ingrained and you are waffle on it constantly. Truthfully, do you think the San Diego job gets you closer to financial independence? Does your current level of savings and budgeting set you up for financial independence? None of the reasoning behind your thinking gives any indication that you're doing with FI in mind.

When you broke your lease and moved, you have thought about it in terms of how much farther away you would be from FI. Was the tradeoff worth it? Only you can say, but people get frustrated if you say you want to reach financial independence while a ton of your decisions spit in the face of that.

Every financial decision you make, ask yourself if it's helping or hurting your goal. Then stop doing the ones that hurt. That means sacrifice, it means learning to be happy with what you have, it means accepting that you can't have everything at once and the ultimate goal is worth it.

If it turns out you don't really want financial independence badly enough to work at it as your #1 priority, that's fine. But if it is, then no one wants to hear your poo poo about why a decision is good for you unless you've first considered it against your goal of financial independence.

Another thing to note is that FI is a means, not an end. You might be just as happy or even happier if you choose not to pursue it and accomplish your family goals or life goals without FI.

In any case, having the right mindset and right priorities will lead you to the right behavior. Right now you're all over the place and no one can tell what you really want, because what you say and what you want to do almost never match up.

You sound exactly like my grandma (that's a compliment ) when I spoke to her this evening about money. She's financially independent, and has been for a long time. She was literally saying the exact same thing about looking and weighing every decision, etc. There's a reason that every grandchild has that $20,000 house down payment offer.

I don't spit in the face of financial independence. Mr Money Mustache and his wife were making $134,000 a year what 10+ years ago when he achieved FI. Yes he makes good points about cutting back, but let's not kid ourselves they were making great money. One of the posters in here who is already FI, gave some tips and their advice to me was to have the confidence to make more money, and that's pretty much what started this whole job hunt. I am trying to prioritize FI more than anything right now, and that includes trying to help my wife get into not only a better career time wise, but also something that makes more money. I'm/we're trying to put some pieces into place here. And yes some of it may mean sadly having to move away from family for a little bit, but I can't prioritize everyone else over us. Hopefully I can get into a place in the near future where I would be able to help out some people if needed, which is what I was talking about with the in-law quarters.

This job may not be the best way to go about it, and if it's not then I'll try my best to find the one that will. If I can't find a better job then so be it I'll work with what we have until I can. But my wife can absolutely switch fields I have full faith in that.

And as far as the cutting back part of FI, well I think we've cut back a lot. I'm not spitting in the face of FI when I walk home from work and stuff.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ladyweapon posted:

Is it just the trolley you'd have to take or are there transfers?

Well in this one particular case it was a bus ride for a couple miles (maybe I could bike and lockup at the loading station?) and it was one trolley from there. It was still an hour or so, and the trolley cost for a monthly pass was $72/mo. But there's a few different lines from what I saw.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Lateral move: I disagree, but let's wait for the offer. Tomorrow or Friday!

n8r posted:

What steps has your wife taken to find another line of work aside from wanting to become a paralegal? Has she started applying for jobs locally?
What steps have you taken in the last 6 months to increase your value to future employers?
Do you believe you are at a point financially where you have enough money if things go sideways if you relocate?

I really don't understand why for the last I dunno 5 pages of this thread people have been saying think about the family support and think about work/life balance and think about cost of living - yet just now you are starting to think about it.

You could also run the numbers again on just having your wife quit her job and stay home with the baby. I think you could consider declaring bankruptcy to get out from under your debt and probably have a decent quality of living since you would have no debt obligations.

I would contend that the ideal time to relocate would be right when your kid is ready to enter school. It would significantly reduce your child care expenses, and kids are pretty self sufficient at age 6. You could be much further along in your career and really have a good chance of landing a very high paying job if you continue to work on your skills and try to either gain better employment locally or work remotely.

1) Just cursory glances. Again everything I've seen seems like they want super experienced people, which seems to actually be the case.
2) She's waiting to see what happens with San Diego before she applies (per her)
3) Reading Cracking the Coding Interview (CS fundamentals among other things), practicing interviewing, writing my own software on the side, got a Windows Universal app into prod and it's being used by 30 sales guys or so, plus CSRs. I've been learning a lot about Dynamics AX 2012 from interviews. I actually surprised my boss a little bit today.
4) I believe we have enough to float us for a couple months to attempt to find something, and if not enough to get us back to Reno. Nearly $10,000 is nothing to sneeze at (lol sorry I like cheesy sayings). But seriously if it came down to it I would loving go crazy doing freelance work for $20/hr until I could find something else. I've done $20/hr freelance stuff before so I know I could do it if I worked at it. I can't imagine letting my family become victims.
5) There's a couple good places here. There's an Intuit building, a Microsoft Licensing building, and IGT who makes slot machines. But there's not much more than that apart from very small companies. I could maybe swing something with the state. But I want to explore my options outside of Reno. If nothing else it's kind of cool to think about.

So yes there are more options to explore. Tesla is building a "giga factory" here which is supposed to supply 3,000 jobs or so. I'm not sure if they'll want software engineers there though. And plus that's a 2017 or 2018.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Knyteguy posted:

Well in this one particular case it was a bus ride for a couple miles (maybe I could bike and lockup at the loading station?) and it was one trolley from there. It was still an hour or so, and the trolley cost for a monthly pass was $72/mo. But there's a few different lines from what I saw.
My commute to work is two buses. Morning is supposed to take 55 minutes, it's usually 65 which is fine. The evening commute usually takes 75-90 minutes instead of 55. This is in Portland. I'd imagine SD is at least twice as bad as Portland, closer to SF transit if you have one or more transfers. I don't know if there is a salary I could reasonably earn to deal with that rent/traffic and I grew up in California.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inverse Icarus posted:

What was stopping her from doing that prior to having the baby?

Are you assuming that working her old job with no baby is more or less work than watching a baby full time while her husband works late hours?

Why do you think it would be easy for her to land a better job with a new skillset eightish months from now?

Why does the baby being 1 at that point matter?

How much of her new salary would go directly to childcare?

1) already answered just now but she had no career path in mind as she does now.

2) her situation now is more work. She has to watch the baby alone on her weekday off every week and I do on my days off every other week. At the very least she'd have a day a week she could fully commit and we'd both spend more time together.

3) I dunno my wife is weird (love ya babe)

4) $800 on average, say $1000/mo to be conservative, some of which would qualify for a small tax credit. I'm not sure what paralegal or office pay is to start down there, but even if it was 75% she'd be working towards some better down the line if things worked out.

More coming in am edit I don't want my phone to crash mid post

E ladyweapons I used google maps to estimate at 7:00am but I'm sure id need to investigate more. Thanks for the input.

And alright I think I hit most the posts I wanted to.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ok for real last post (I made some edits above) I agree I need to look at stuff more shittily, that's been true since the start of the thread, and the apartment is a good example of where I didn't.

Per my grandma's advice in going to write up a huge list thing with my wife and we'll post it this weekend or something. It will be an intentional exercise to help us see more of the positives and negatives of all of this. I hope. It's pretty much just a bigger pros and cons list but I think its a good idea. We'll go over priorities too.

Thanks for the good discussions today.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Also, I want to point out that it will be a while before you'll be enjoying the ocean with a child as young as yours. Something to consider if the ocean really is a big pro for you, especially if you're not planning to stay in SD for more than a year or even two or three.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 28, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Also. I think it's been pointed out. But at one point one of your goals was to buy a house. I guarantee you the cheapest house anywhere near San Diego is >$500k and that's going to be for a "fixer upper" small family home. If you want to put down the BFC approved 20% and front closing costs expect to need $100k-$125k cash.

Something to consider.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Have you looked into zappos? They have their dev center in Vegas and pay pretty decently. My husband worked along side them for a project a few years back and said they were a good group of folks and they pay well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

Also, I want to point out that it will be a while before you'll be enjoying the ocean with a child as young as yours. Something to consider if the ocean really is a big pro for you, especially if you're not planning to stay in SD for more than a year or even two or three.

Hm can you explain why it would be hard to enjoy with the baby? I was thinking it would be cool for the dogs, too (they have a couple dog beaches).

Bugamol posted:

Also. I think it's been pointed out. But at one point one of your goals was to buy a house. I guarantee you the cheapest house anywhere near San Diego is >$500k and that's going to be for a "fixer upper" small family home. If you want to put down the BFC approved 20% and front closing costs expect to need $100k-$125k cash.

Something to consider.

Yes it still is. I don't think I'd consider myself in a position to buy without 20%.

Like ideally I want to move to a high wage city to make some money (taking into account cost of living), and then move out. Seattle the average home price is between $630,000 - $875,000, so I think that would price me out as well. It looks like all of California is pretty expensive, the median home price is $400,000.

Tigntink posted:

Have you looked into zappos? They have their dev center in Vegas and pay pretty decently. My husband worked along side them for a project a few years back and said they were a good group of folks and they pay well.

Tigntink Vegas might be OK if I could get used to the heat.

I think how I want to proceed is this: I see what the offer is, see what you guys think, come up with a counter-offer, see what they counter-counter-offer with, and if it's not good enough then I break the deal, and I start looking at other cities. Maybe I continue practicing my CS fundamentals and shoot for Amazon in 3-6 months as Rurutia mentioned, or maybe as mentioned me and my wife choose a city we want to live in (which could very well still be Reno), commit to looking only there for awhile, and start trying to find a job there.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
To get back to the budget, Horking does June's budget have to be the same as May's for the competition? When I made May's I wasn't thinking it had to be the same, but if it does then it should be fine. If not I may adjust a thing or two (not sure).

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Hm can you explain why it would be hard to enjoy with the baby? I was thinking it would be cool for the dogs, too (they have a couple dog beaches).

Until age 4 or so, most outings with your child will consist of slathering kiddo with spf 75 every half hour (while they protest). Lugging around a gigantic diaper bag with extra clothing and snacks. Trying to get them to engage in some activity for more than a minute (more protest). Setting up photo ops while they cry and continue to be disinterested. Stopping for a snack every 15 minutes. Trying to find a decent place to change a diaper (or change into new clothes when the kid you thought was potty trained pees their pants) at the pumpkin patch/beach/zoo/ect. Followed by the over stimulated meltdown and falling asleep in the car on the way home. Which then leads to napping too late into the evening and not going to bed.

The beach has the extra incentive of waterlogged diapers, sand everywhere, risk of drowning, and that weird thing where one week your kid loves being in the water and the next week they are suddenly terrified by it. Kiddo will probably be happier with a plastic kiddy pool and sprinkler in the back yard.

That's why it's silly to include "beach" in the pro column.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Until age 4 or so, most outings with your child will consist of slathering kiddo with spf 75 every half hour (while they protest). Lugging around a gigantic diaper bag with extra clothing and snacks. Trying to get them to engage in some activity for more than a minute (more protest). Setting up photo ops while they cry and continue to be disinterested. Stopping for a snack every 15 minutes. Trying to find a decent place to change a diaper (or change into new clothes when the kid you thought was potty trained pees their pants) at the pumpkin patch/beach/zoo/ect. Followed by the over stimulated meltdown and falling asleep in the car on the way home. Which then leads to napping too late into the evening and not going to bed.

The beach has the extra incentive of waterlogged diapers, sand everywhere, risk of drowning, and that weird thing where one week your kid loves being in the water and the next week they are suddenly terrified by it. Kiddo will probably be happier with a plastic kiddy pool and sprinkler in the back yard.

That's why it's silly to include "beach" in the pro column.

Yeah, basically this.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Like ideally I want to move to a high wage city to make some money (taking into account cost of living), and then move out. Seattle the average home price is between $630,000 - $875,000, so I think that would price me out as well. It looks like all of California is pretty expensive, the median home price is $400,000.

The only way this will work is if you live far enough away to not get hosed by rent costs. Otherwise your COLA is going to just get eaten up by rent. They pay you more because it costs more, not because they're more generous. That's why it's called a "Cost of Living Adjustment". Because you spend that money. On the Cost of Living in that city.

The people that "make money" off COLA are the people that work in SF and commute from the central valley. But you're also giving up your mental well being by doing that. My worst commute was 65 miles each way about 1.5-2 hour "drive time". It was miserable.

My commute now is ~10 miles ~15 minutes.

You think it's hard to work out now, work on side projects, make dinner every night, or have free time in general? My old schedule:

Wake up 5:00 AM
Shower / Eat / Etc.
Leave for Work 6:00 AM
Arrive at work 8:00 AM
Lunch 12:00 PM
Work 1:00 PM
Leave Work 5:00-6:00 PM
Arrive Home 7:00-8:00 PM
Eat Dinner / Unwind etc
Sleep 10:00 PM

And that's assuming I worked a roughly 8-9 hour "work day". Often times I would either come home and work or stay at work and work. And I wasn't even "incentive based / billable hours".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

To get back to the budget, Horking does June's budget have to be the same as May's for the competition? When I made May's I wasn't thinking it had to be the same, but if it does then it should be fine. If not I may adjust a thing or two (not sure).

I sorta think yes because I'm of the opinion that budgets should be "set it and forget it", but I'll happily go with whatever BFC recommends if they're okay with changing it.

• Locked thread