Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
That's a comforting last post to see after just resurrecting my 85 gl1200. Shoutout to the genius that combined the connections for main bike power and starter solenoid on the same plug. Separated those connections out into their own fused line direct to the battery and left the solenoid wires on the plug. After some other electrical TLC she's happy.

Now, of course, I'm faced with the inevitable question of "do I dump more money in this bike or sell it and get another?" I picked it up about a year ago from a guy whose father rode it forever, then he took over, and finally got to the point where he wasn't riding anymore. She's had the carbs fully redone and timing belt replaced recently. New shoes and battery as well. It needs need new exhaust and new brake/clutch lines (I'm assuming, it's doing the whole "drive me for a while and gradually your clutch handle will do less and less" dance), both of which I'll have someone else do, so maybe a grand with labor. Only thing I'm not sure about is if I go aftermarket then I might (probably will) need to get it rejetted, and carbs are black magic so I've no idea what to expect there. If I can find a stock unit that's not totally rusted out I can always go that route, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dr. Light posted:

I got caught in a ton of rain, found out my flasher relay housing disconnected so the relay was dangling, and flooded it with water. Dried it out overnight, plugged it back in, and now the signals get brighter, but don't blink when switched on. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one (no auto stores have the right type near me) and using hand signals for the next few days.

Where are you headed? I'm moving up to the finger lakes region in a couple of weeks and am looking for some good camping spots!

I'm just going to try to stealth camp in the national forest on the way and back from Albany.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Took it in for it's 6000 mile service. It's a happy beik.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010
Traded my FZ-09 this afternoon. The FZ-09 was a great bike, but the additional power, handling, and creature comforts on the S1000R can't be beat. Doing the break-in miles and having a truncated rev limit is agonizing. On the other hand, having heated grips made riding in this bullshit 45 degree weather totally bearable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been... out.

whatever you do, make sure the slides stay with their matched caps. even if you get proper vacuum (see suck test) it doesn't mean it's PROPER vacuum.
Those bastards will be the death of me, I swear to God.

Indeed.
I have about a dozen sets now.

THOSE GODDAMN ALUMINUM SLIDES.

If you were having problems with the caps being cracked and leaking, you can just slather epoxy over them and put on some aftermarket caps to cover the epoxy, it's a common enough repair that there's fixes widely documented for it:
http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-cv-slide-cap-variations/

Shmirgin44 posted:

Traded my FZ-09 this afternoon. The FZ-09 was a great bike, but the additional power, handling, and creature comforts on the S1000R can't be beat. Doing the break-in miles and having a truncated rev limit is agonizing. On the other hand, having heated grips made riding in this bullshit 45 degree weather totally bearable.

Those are both fantastic bikes and both are on my short list for replacing my FZ1 in another year or two. I loved riding my friend's S1000RR, I can only imagine how much nicer it is with the better ergos of the single-R version.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been... out.

whatever you do, make sure the slides stay with their matched caps. even if you get proper vacuum (see suck test) it doesn't mean it's PROPER vacuum.
Those bastards will be the death of me, I swear to God.

Indeed.
I have about a dozen sets now.

THOSE GODDAMN ALUMINUM SLIDES.

I remember reading the original sagas of the carb nightmare.

I imagine someone has made an EFI conversion for these old wings?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Replacement pillion seat came for the Bandit, so a quick after dinner replacement job.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Replaced the previous tail tidy which was apparently illegal here because the turn signals were too close together. Kind of proud of managing to hook the new blinkers up correctly the first time. Need to get a new license plate holder because I managed to break the old one taking it off. :downs:

As a bonus the new tidy has a few holes where I can attach cargo straps.

I know it needs a cleaning, but I ride down dirt roads at least once a week so it rarely lasts..

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you were having problems with the caps being cracked and leaking, you can just slather epoxy over them and put on some aftermarket caps to cover the epoxy, it's a common enough repair that there's fixes widely documented for it:
http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-cv-slide-cap-variations/

I know Randakk's bible by heart. I can quote url's like Evangelicals can quote bible passages.
It's not the caps.

Backov posted:

I remember reading the original sagas of the carb nightmare.
I imagine someone has made an EFI conversion for these old wings?
I've seen one. I never saw it to fruition though.
Then again I could always do the weber conversion. :gbsmith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've seen one. I never saw it to fruition though.
Then again I could always do the weber conversion. :gbsmith:

With the requirement to roll your own throttle linkage to do that conversion, it'd be easier to just get the stock carbs running well. :)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HotCanadianChick posted:

With the requirement to roll your own throttle linkage to do that conversion, it'd be easier to just get the stock carbs running well. :)

Doesn't an EFI 1200 motor fit in your frame?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I changed the oil today. As I was pouring the green Motul into the engine, a kid stopped by the garage and asked "Are you trying to fix your bike?"

Trying? I'll fight you, kid. :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ripoff posted:

I changed the oil today. As I was pouring the green Motul into the engine, a kid stopped by the garage and asked "Are you trying to fix your bike?"

Trying? I'll fight you, kid. :argh:

This could have played out as a 1950s educational film.

"You see Timmy, we don't always fix things because they're broken, we often fix things so they don't break in the first place. Let me tell you all about the maintenance, its purpose and its practices." *lights pipe*

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Iridium spark plugs. The engine is far smoother now. Whether that's because it has Aprilia electronics and iridium sparks at lower voltage or it's just new spark plugs or it's the fact that they're projected tips, I don't know but whatever it is, it's great. It would have been nice to not have to take the airbox off to replace the spark plugs though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I run the DCPR9EIX on the Buell and they almost cannot foul. That's good because it takes like an hour of fiddling in tight spaces to swap plugs.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ola posted:

This could have played out as a 1950s educational film.

"You see Timmy, we don't always fix things because they're broken, we often fix things so they don't break in the first place. Let me tell you all about the maintenance, its purpose and its practices." *cleans hands with gasoline, lights pipe*

There you go.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
Ordered up some Spoke wraps and a new set of tires for the supermoto. Now I just need to wait for my adventure bike tires to get in next week and do the tire swap. Rear scorpion trail on the tiger is going to be mounted on the supermoto. Replacing Tiger tires with shinko big block e804/e805s

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Noticed a hesitation and thunk when accelerating. Turned out to be a loose chain, adjusted and lubed it at a service island on the NY turn pike

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Replaced the stock battery with a Shorai Lithium battery. Previously I also installed an EZPass mount as well as an X grip ram mount for my phone/nav. Next will probably be adjustable levers and rear sets and a fender eliminator.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Took out the top bearing race but hosed up the bottom one and now it is wedged :smithicide:. Going to travel this weekend and when I get back I'll hammer at it some more or give in to my rage and murder it with a dremel till its out.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Had to replace the chain, it developed baaad loose spots that you could pull off the sprocket while the rest of the sprocket was tight and made low speed riding disconcerting. A big thumbs up for Bob Weaver Motorsports in Niagara Falls for getting me in on no notice and doing it for under $100 chain and labor. The Strom rides much smoother now.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Took it out for a ride after getting my 1964 S90 out of winter storage and then the shop to fix the seat/clean the gunked carbs.

Riga has lots of lovely cobblestone streets, and so the side mounted key vibrated out of the ignition at some point. So now I have to replace the ignition cylinder with one that might actually hold the key in place.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Carbs back in Honda: :toot:
It starts up quickly and runs! :toot:
Check the compression, and it's dead even across both cylinders! :toot:
Except it's still way too low for the recommended specs: :smith:
Then I broke the right spark plug putting it back in after the compression test. :negative:

Ugh, time to call it a day and have some beer.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Backstory: Purchased bike a few months ago, knew it had been wrecked. Front fender didn't match rest of bike paint scheme and tank had several dents in it. The side covers, bags and rear fender all had several nicks, scratches and dings. Got a good deal on the bike so I wasn't too concerned about it. Fast forward a month after purchase and bike won't idle and is running like crap. Turns out, inside of tank is destroyed...original liner flaking off, rust, possibly a dead animal inside...who knows.

Bottom line, I had two options: 1. Pull the tank, clean up the inside and re-line it. (This would leave me with a nice shiny tank inside but the outside was still a dented piece of poo poo). 2. Purchase a used tank and have a paint shop try to match the rest of the bike. (Then I'd have a dentless tank, however, this was a special "Radical" paint scheme from HD and they did not have the paint codes for it in their system. The chances of having a shop be able to match the color exactly and re-do the original design exactly were about slim to none from what I was reading on the interwebs. I was pretty bummed and resigned to the fact that I was going to re-line a lovely dented tank and that was that.

Until...I was strolling Ebay and what do I find? A complete NOS set of the tins for my bike in the same radical paint scheme. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140457280199 YES! :) Look at price tag and :( whoa. After thinking about it for a couple weeks, pricing a complete paint job for the bike including a used tank, I said gently caress it and bought them.

TLDR: Rusted tank, custom paint hard to match, several options to fix bike, gently caress IT WHERE'S MY DEBIT CARD.

So...This is what I did today:

New stuff in the mail:

Emptying gas from tank:

One of the dents and some of the nicks in the tank:

Tank, Front Fender and Side Covers removed:

Top View:

Rear Fender off:

Naked and Afraid:

Tins that were removed and bonus new bag and side covers in background:

Didn't really run into any issues with the removal other than Harley's decision to put a torx head bolt in the very front of the rear fender was asinine. There wasn't much room between the bolt and the rear tire, certainly not enough to get a torx socket and ratchet in there. If it were a regular 1/2" standard head bolt, I think you could remove it without having to unhook the shocks and lift the bike. So that wasn't a huge deal but annoying. Also, broke a piece of plastic off of the fuel regulator when I was removing the hose between it and the fuel filter. Had to run to the Harley shop 45 minutes away to get that and pay a billion dollars for it.

Bike is all naked and ready for the new tins to go back on tomorrow. Should be like a new bike and after all is said and done, I'll still have less into it than I've seen Road Kings going for around here with plain black paint jobs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No 3/8" drill handy for your EZ-Out? No problem!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Chris Knight posted:

Nice plug chop!

Finally managed to split the crankcase on my Zuma. Tried a couple of pulley/steering wheel pullers but most were not wide enough for the bosses in the case. Finally found one that would work, a rental at Autozone, but the longest M8-1.25 bolt I could find was 90mm which was barely enough for the magneto side, but a good 40mm too short for the other half. I hit up every hardware store in town looking for a longer bolt, metric threaded stock or couplers.
Some folks they say have been able to tap the cranks/bearing out with drifts or sockets, but these suckers wont budge for me, so the old crank gets to spend a few more days in the transmission case and it looks like I will be sending my GF to the specialty fastener store on Tuesday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Did this happen while putting in or taking out the plug?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Managed to change the rear tyre on my green drz, it only took 2 hours and a shitload of swearing and this time I didn't pinch the loving tube or put the tyre on backwards. Figured I'd also take the five minutes to replace the hosed clutch cutoff switch with a new one I've had sitting on my desk for two weeks now. I also got a new seat made last week which is a shitload more comfortable than the stock seat was. Looking forward to finally being able to ride it again now that I've got all this new poo poo on it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I replaced the o ring for the starter clutch cover on my DRZ. Old one was crusty as hell, so hopefully that is the actual source of the oil leak I've been chasing down.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Pulled the rear wheel to inspect the bearings. The wheel has a tiny bit of play and that might be what's causing the bike to feel unstable in low speed turns. On closer inspection the bearings looked fine but I'll probably replace them anyway. 44500 km on the clock.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I washed it.

Sort of.

Technically.

...because it rained while I was at the gym.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Today I bought the loving bearings. Not so cheap though, 125 american dollars, and I still have to go back for one of the dust seals. Just hope they do the trick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Getting the bike ready for Thunder Hill on 6/1 at the last minute. Went to swap new tires on and realized when I crashed the thing I ended up mushrooming the end of the front axle enough that it destroyed the nut/threading surface over the 4-5 times I've removed it since. Tracked down an axle for a 2009 Monster 1100 on eBay that was super underpriced and local so I went and picked it up. Mounted new tires, flushed the clutch and front brake fluid, installed Performance Friction 95 compound pads, taped the front lights, removed the plate, and cleaned it a little bit.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 27, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bike looks great

Gunna shunt you off turn 6 with my supermoto

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Remember that recall on Conti tyres? Well, noone's gonna accuse me of working fast. Took care of it today, finally. Two hours start to finish, including the trip to the tyre place.

And then twenty seconds later it started POURING down (the picture is taken literally as the first drops hit the street, I was standing with my phone in hand after taking the picture of the mounted wheel). So I'm still not sure it won't fall off next time I ride it. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

Bike looks great

Gunna shunt you off turn 6 with my supermoto

That's cause I went down on the other side :v: Gotta make the other side match :lol:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Couple days late: changed the Uly's oils.

Was expecting a milkshake mess from the primary, but it was looking OK. Nice to have a baseline on maintenance though. Engine oil is engine oil. They Harley parts guy told me about how they changed the bottle design so it's easy to pour. Too bad I'm pouring it in an Erik bike designed so it isn't easy to pour into. I totally didn't strip any drain plug threads this time.

Did 700+ miles over the weekend and it didn't drink a drop. Reminds me why I went through the hassle of getting another one with 55000 less miles on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

That's cause I went down on the other side :v: Gotta make the other side match :lol:

xx9 broz:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Sailed past 10000km on the cbr250 today. Aside from a dumb PO that managed to fry the clutch by 1800ks and a brake light switch that carked it, haven't had a single issue with the bike. Testament that Hondas made in Thailand still hold together like Hondas should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Installed a cyclops 3600lumen led H4 bulb. I think i gotta be sure my low light is adjusted to my load from now on..

Osram nightbreaker low

Osram nightbreaker high

Cyclops low

Cyclops high

I think I need to modify/make a new rubber baffle around the base though, the stock one didn't fit. Not sure how much debris/humidity it actually blocks, it pretty closed in by fairings.