Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fenarisk posted:

Can this get you banned from steam though? That'd be my only main concern, otherwise I'd love to increase size to 30.

Oh sweet summer child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Patch notes are out!

For those at work or whatever:

quote:

New Features

New Hero Class! Man-At-Arms
New Hero Class! Arbalest
New Ruins Boss! Gibbering Prophet
New Warens Boss! Formless Flesh
New Weald Boss! Brigand Cannon
New Loot: The Ancestor’s Trinket set. Ultra-rare items once held by the Ancestor himself - be warned, some of these trinkets are only found in the pitch dark!
New Building! Ancestor's Statue: Click the statue to open the Ancestor's Memoirs - a record of all cutscenes and boss backstories!
Heart Attacks! Don’t let your heroes get too stressed. If your stress bar fills again past affliction...it’s over.
Sell your junk! In the Trinket Inventory, hold shift to see sell back value, shift+click to sell trinkets
Crit-heals! Heal, critically!
Tons of Party Names as created by Kickstarter and Humble backers!

UI Improvements
Hamlet

Added z-depth to the Hamlet, improved building menu interaction, revised all times of day
Graveyard: Added a background and new Caretaker pose; Tombstones change to reflect resolve level at time of death, UI improvements, scrollbar
Activity Log: UI improvements for easier 'at a glance' parsing of the activity log, scrollbars
Trinket inventory now supports sorting by class restriction and rarity, and a scrollbar
“Unequip all Trinkets” button for quick Trinket wiping
Updated art on remaining incomplete trinkets
Quest Select: Approved party names from player survey
Updated roster sorting buttons' colors to reduce visual noise
Class sort now sorts by preferred position

Dungeon

Added hotkey ( c ) to bring up/dismiss character panel
Manual torch snuffing for more control of lighting level (mouse over torch for instructions)
HP bar animation when healing for greater visual feedback
Additional map controls and logic (-/= or -/+ on numpad to control map zoom)
Map now follows the party, remembers its zoom setting after scouting

Misc

Clarified presentation of PROT (protection) in some places. PROT starts as a % which gets multiplied by the hero or monster’s Max HP. This gives a damage mitigation (armor points) number. For example, 20% PROT x 30 HP = 6 Protection pts. Each hit that lands will have 6 points absorbed before any damage gets through. Additional future work expected.
“Marked” no longer referred to as “tagged” in some tooltips
Improved various menus and icons in the game
New / unique trinket art for trinkets with missing art

Gameplay / Balancing Improvements

Darkness is now more deadly: reduced player crit bonus in low light, slightly increased chance of players being surprised in low light, increased stress damage in low light, slightly increased monster dmg in zero light, slightly reduced gold bonus in low light
Adjusted Dungeon / Region leveling to fit new boss plot quests
Max upgraded Roster size increased - this may be temporary!
Trinkets: Tuning of Trinket award rates and rarities
Trinkets: Balancing/redesign pass on many Trinkets
I’m stuffed! Limit added to Food consumption to reduce over-eating exploit
Plague Doctor: increased Blight Resistance
Bounty Hunter - Hook and Slice is now reworked as a rank 3 / 4 targeting bleed attack
Bounty Hunter - Slight nerf to Finish Him damage bonuses on the Stun Killer effect
Leper - Revenge removed ACC penalty and slightly reduced CRIT bonuses
Leper - Intimidate: reworked the skill to be a strong debuff skill with some damage, affects ranks 1/2 together
Reduced Crit-heal percentage
Reduced companion stress from Death’s Door
Slightly reduced average crit damage from monsters
All L3/L5 monsters have slightly increased HP which may make for slightly longer fights / increased value of buffs and debuffs.
Many size 2 monsters have more HP (Carrion Eater, Swinetaur, Unclean Giant)
Crone: now harder to hit, increased Crone’s Curse debuff and added extra target possibilities to her debuff attacks
Swinetaur can now do running attacks from ranks 2+ instead of 3+. Ole!
Monster Brains - improvements to default brains to make somewhat more deadly as monsters level up
Monster Brains - more monsters have their own brains (much more to come)
Original bosses (Necromancer, Hag, Swine Prince) now have nastier behaviors as they level up
“Heal Received” buff now on certain Skills and Trinkets
Reduced companion stress from Death’s Door
And probably a few secret things...

General Bug Fixes

Activity Log entry cutoff issue
Activity Log names update when heroes are renamed
Torch disabled during ambushes with tooltip explanation
Health bar showing up on second quest bug
Profile reposition bug on Main Menu
Raid Results UI layout fixes
Non check-marked room bug
Miscellaneous string edits
Fixed AOE “+” positioning
Fixed Plague Doctor camping pose
Non-loading screen narration interrupting loading screen bug
Swine Prince targeting fix
Battle camera bug, getting stuck at the end of a round
Removed background barks on Provisions screen
Blood splatter no longer appears on misses and dodges
Crash fix when death and Affliction check occur simultaneously by trap
Narration queuing fixes
Traps not appearing when spawned in a corridor previously visited
Prevent surprises from occurring in tiles previously scouted or visited
And more…!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Couple of nice changes but was hoping for a new dungeon as well.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

quote:

Heart Attacks! Don’t let your heroes get too stressed. If your stress bar fills again past affliction...it’s over.

Well, poo poo.

quote:

Manual torch snuffing for more control of lighting level (mouse over torch for instructions)

:eyepop:

Level 0 runs just got a lot more lucrative.

quote:

Darkness is now more deadly: reduced player crit bonus in low light, slightly increased chance of players being surprised in low light, increased stress damage in low light, slightly increased monster dmg in zero light, slightly reduced gold bonus in low light

Ah

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
3 new bosses!

quote:

New Loot: The Ancestor’s Trinket set. Ultra-rare items once held by the Ancestor himself - be warned, some of these trinkets are only found in the pitch dark!

Oh snap.

Rascyc posted:

Couple of nice changes but was hoping for a new dungeon as well.

That'll be the next update, yeah.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The new Barracks max is 22. I went ahead and bumped it up to 30, per the previous page's suggestion on how to.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zaphod42 posted:

That'll be the next update, yeah.
Yeah I'll probably skip this update rather than replay a bunch, maybe. I dunno. Game is really fun to play...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Holy crap, the damage bonuses monsters get in darkness :gonk:

e: game froze :(

Difficulty level seems way higher now; I'm talking, like, 20 damage crits from monsters in level 1 ruins at max dark. gently caress, even tempting goblet hits for 4-5 in pitch black.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 28, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haha so Bounty Hunter now has a Bleed, Mark for Death, and a stun. Poor Plague Doctor only gets a jillion Blight resistance updates.

Heart Attacks sound like they gonna own.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There also appear to be some new enemies

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

:yikes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

With those stats that's practically a new boss. :stare:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Food counts as healing, so it can crit heal. :v:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So swinetaurs can charge easier now.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the new tricks the higher tier bosses get.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Haven't seen an arbalest yet but the man-at-arms is super cool.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Haven't played this in a while but last I played it in EA it was VERY RNG Screwy, is that still the case?

Also, I spoke to the dev a few moments at SxSW in Austin a while back. Did they ever join the forums or this thread?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Minrad posted:

my goal is now to get a character with traits that do CRIT EATS. "yeah I just ate the HELL out of that sandwich"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

peer posted:

Haven't seen an arbalest yet but the man-at-arms is super cool.

What are his skills? I'm probably still going to leave this til the new dungeons come out to dive back into it but I'd like to know what the new heroes do.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

What are his skills? I'm probably still going to leave this til the new dungeons come out to dive back into it but I'd like to know what the new heroes do.

For the ranges, I'm counting from the center and moving away (so 4/3/2/1/1/2/3/4). He's a melee character with solid range; seems like you can either build him as a slot 3 debuff/buff machine, or a slot 2 attacker with debuffs when needed.

2/3 melee attack
3/3 forward 1, knockback 1, -50% damage, 100% stun
3/4 -90% damage, applis -5 dodge and -5 spd, hits all 4 enemies
4/0 buffs protection by 20%, guards an ally
3/3, -40% damage, applies self +10% prot, mark target, and activates riposte (??? I guess a counter attack?)
4/0, +5 acc
4/0 +5 dodge, +2 spd

E: His last two buffs are group wide, awesome.

Has a self buff and a companion buff for +10 acc, +20% damage, +3% crit for camping, as well as self and group dodge buffs. Seems like a really solid support/melee character. 31 base hp, and 5-10 base damage.

Haven't seen Arbalest yet. :(

Minera fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 28, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Thanks, Dismas, for getting surprise-shuffled to the front and then critted to death's door and immediately bleeding to death on the road to the Estate so I could start this new campaign with a Man-at-Arms. :toot:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Should've been Renault, that sticky fingered rear end in a top hat.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
poo poo's brutal and owns.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh sweet summer child.

Simply explaining yes or no would be a lot more helpful since Google gives mixed feedback on this, and I don't want to lose hundreds of dollars in games.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Simply explaining yes or no would be a lot more helpful since Google gives mixed feedback on this, and I don't want to lose hundreds of dollars in games.

No.

Why would Steam care about what you do in a single player game? It's not much different from what the steam workshop mods do for any other game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Found an Arbalest!

Abilities are primarily ranged, firing from the back two rows, except Blindfire (the 4/4 ability). 4-9 base damage, 7% crit, 27 base hp. These'll look more confusing than the men-at-arms ones I posted, it's hard to convey all the info in these tooltips. Hopefully it'll make do for you dudes at work or whatever.

2/3, can't hit first row, 90 acc 5% crit, +50% dmg +5% crit vs marked
2/3, can't hit first row, hits all 3 targets, -80% damage, 5% crit. Applies -10 acc, -5% crit debuff.
2/3, can't hit first row, -100% damage, applies mark target.
2/2, hits both front row targets, -50% dmg, 5% crit, applies KNOCKBACK 1
4/4, hits a random target, -33% dmg, applies a +9 spd buff.
2/0, heals 1-2, applies a +20% heal buff
2/0, Torch +3, Targetted: clears stun 75%, clears mark 75%

Has self damage/acc/crit buff for camping, group spd buff, and group/single target heals. Overall seems like a slightly more offensive/ranged version of the cleric? Don't think I'll use them as much as the man-at-arms, sadly, though a bounty hunter/arbalest/occultist party seems like it could apply some crazy damage wherever it needs it.

Fenarisk posted:

poo poo better watch out for the vac ban, skyrim modders

Minera fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 28, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Minrad posted:

The real question is, does food crit chance go up in darkness?

Fenarisk posted:

Steam is not going to outright ban you unless you scam people or steal games or something literally criminal. You can edit the files of the games you own as much as you want. If the game you are editing files for is a competitive multiplayer game (i.e. not Darkest Dungeon), then depending on the way you edit the files and the terms of the developer of that specific game sets, you might be cut off from the multiplayer aspects of that game, but you'll never lose access to your Steam account and all your games.

They buff monster HP trying to make debuffs worthwhile, but as long as they keep throwing out monsters with these giant debuff resistances, there's no way a 50% chance of landing a -20 accuracy penalty is going to be anywhere near as good as an 80% chance of cutting off 1/6th of the monster's health.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 28, 2015

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Minrad posted:

3/3, -40% damage, applies self +10% prot, mark target, and activates riposte (??? I guess a counter attack?)

Far as I can tell, Riposte is a counterattack + stun against anyone who attacks the man-at-arms in the following turn.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

peer posted:

Far as I can tell, Riposte is a counterattack + stun against anyone who attacks the man-at-arms in the following turn.

Dang, how long's it last? So far he seems outstandingly good. A group +spd, +dodge buff is a great mix, since the extra dodge and the ability to move before the enemy is actually a worthwhile tradeoff for extending the battle. Plus he's just super flexible in where he can attack from and where he can attack. I really like him!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

It is dreadfully naive to think that you're going to get banned for modifications to your own machine in the first place, but taking a look at the steam KB article about this makes the point even more strongly.

Are you pirating the game?

Are you committing fraud?

Are you hijacking or sharing your account?

Are you attempting to phish or otherwise socially engineer people?

No? Then you're fine. The Steam user agreement and Online code of conduct links do nothing but reinforce these basics.

The people who are claiming they got banned for config tweaking are liars. Period. They were probably using shady CD keys or something to begin with and it just so happened to get picked up shortly after they made a change. Or they never made a change and they're futilely trying to lie their way back into their stolen poo poo. Whatever the reason, you're doing the equivalent of worrying about contracting ebola when you've never been out of your hometown, so hell yes you can expect to get patronized for that and getting indignant about it only makes you a bigger target.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The real question is, does food crit chance go up in darkness?

Steam is not going to outright ban you unless you scam people or steal games or something literally criminal. You can edit the files of the games you own as much as you want. If the game you are editing files for is a competitive multiplayer game (i.e. not Darkest Dungeon), then depending on the way you edit the files and the terms of the developer of that specific game sets, you might be cut off from the multiplayer aspects of that game, but you'll never lose access to your Steam account and all your games.

They buff monster HP trying to make debuffs worthwhile, but as long as they keep throwing out monsters with these giant debuff resistances, there's no way a 50% chance of landing a -20 accuracy penalty is going to be anywhere near as good as an 80% chance of cutting off 1/6th of the monster's health.

There's ways around resistances like that, so even 50% isn't as bad as it seems. Trinkets that increase chances etc, along with just higher levels of skills can increase the base chance beyond 100%

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Sorry, I would have but other people already did before I posted that.

You're totally fine. No videogame in the steam library will ban you for modifying text files.

To get banned from steam you need to be running some kind of memory modification hacks, and even then most games don't give a flying gently caress. Only multiplayer games care, and even THEN its a sub-set of multiplayer games which have anti-cheat protection AND enforce it.

So no, you're totally totally fine. Chop those files up, nothing bad will happen.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Speaking of chopping up files, is there anyway to get the sound effects into something usable for message alerts or w/e?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Not easily, they're serialized in some .bank file. Someone would need to write an extractor.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Coolguye posted:

Should've been Renault, that sticky fingered rear end in a top hat.
This would have made me very sad, though, because it would have meant the end of my tradition of sending him into the ruins until constant exposure to skeletons spilling wine has driven him insane, only to chase him off into the wilderness once he has outlived his usefulness.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man-at-arms sounds loving ridiculous, that one skill that offers protection plus goes into riposte mode in particular sounds like it owns so hard. A mid-row buffing Leper with more defensive abilities, yeah man

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Coolguye posted:

The people who are claiming they got banned for config tweaking are liars. Period. They were probably using shady CD keys or something to begin with and it just so happened to get picked up shortly after they made a change. Or they never made a change and they're futilely trying to lie their way back into their stolen poo poo. Whatever the reason, you're doing the equivalent of worrying about contracting ebola when you've never been out of your hometown, so hell yes you can expect to get patronized for that and getting indignant about it only makes you a bigger target.
They're also incredibly dumb. A wave of CSGO bans went out because people were sending in crash reports of abnormally frequent crashes. When you read the stack trace, there's literally an online cheat injection DLL in the stack. All of these idiots basically self-reported themselves to Valve and earned their ban darwin-style.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks a ton for the mod info, I haven't touched anything like that in over a decade :unsmith:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Coolguye posted:

It is dreadfully naive to think that you're going to get banned for modifications to your own machine in the first place,
Both Microsoft and Sony have a track record of banning accounts and all associated purchases for having the temerity to connect to their networks with modified software, regardless of whether the user had any illegal intent, so it's not that naive to think another big corporation might have a shoot first ask questions later approach.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Taratang posted:

Both Microsoft and Sony have a track record of banning accounts and all associated purchases for having the temerity to connect to their networks with modified software, regardless of whether the user had any illegal intent, so it's not that naive to think another big corporation might have a shoot first ask questions later approach.

Consoles are not the same thing as PCs and it's horrifically naive to think they are. You have to modify the drat operating system to mess with stuff on a Playstation or Xbox, which was a very large part of the objection Sony/MS had to those mods. I'm not saying it's a legitimate concern but it's not something you can even remotely translate to personal machines. Running Windows or OSX is orders of magnitude more open. Text editors don't exist on consoles.

To point, not even Microsoft banned people for modifying poo poo with GFWL on, we hacked up everything from Fable 3 to Dead Rising 2 to Dawn of War 2 to Dark Souls and never heard a peep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Stress for prolonging combat is hosed up and way too high now imo. You failed to hit an almost dead skeleton in round 3 of combat? Enjoy 10 stress on your entire party.