Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I agree, Gaelic Football is the best form of football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Xandu posted:

Right, I may have misinterpreted this

Article 8 provides that the Requested State shall not decline to extradite its nationals unless it has jurisdiction to prosecute them for the acts for which extradition is sought. If extradition is refused because the fugitive is a national of the Requested State, that State shall submit the case for prosecution at the request of the Requesting State.

ah, yeah, but that still only gives them the right to refuse extradition if they prosecute for the exact same charges themselves, and given that the Fed is customized to produce hundreds of charges from singular acts they likely can create scenarios that the Swiss wouldnt be able to prosecute even if they wanted to.

in theory. as a spitball. in the most casual observation. in other words dont ask questions I dont have answers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Strange Americans thinking anybody cares what their justice department calls football. Nobody here will start calling it soccer.

Xandu posted:

He's Swiss, pretty sure they can refuse.

I don't even think that the Swiss are really against putting Blatter behind bars, so I don't see why they would refuse to extradite him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Torrannor posted:

I don't even think that the Swiss are really against putting Blatter behind bars, so I don't see why they would refuse to extradite him.
I think people are trying to figure out scenarios in which this Blatter dude is not murdered like the bad guy in an anime (in a metaphorical, judicial way of course).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Torrannor posted:

If someone else was willing to clean up their mess, they'd be mad to not step back and say "have at it".

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6UKHaHvKw
if anyone finds a better quality gif please let me know.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 28, 2015

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Just imagine if Blatter gets arrested right after he is declared the winner for the next term of FIFA presidency.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

OhYeah posted:

Just imagine if Blatter gets arrested right after he is declared the winner for the next term of FIFA presidency.

There's probably another round of bribes involved in the elections to nail him for.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OhYeah posted:

Apparently Jack Warner has said that he's going to flip on Blatter so we won't have to imagine for long.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
America, gently caress yeah!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32909908

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine it's easier to cheer for America being world policeman when they're busting criminals instead of randomly-determined dictatorships. :911:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Nessus posted:

I imagine it's easier to cheer for America being world policeman when they're busting criminals instead of randomly-determined dictatorships. :911:

FIFA sounds like a randomly determined dictatorship to me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

saintonan posted:

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Soccer forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Well you know it is a sport played by military aged males. They knew the risks.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Devil posted:

Well you know it is a sport played by military aged males. They knew the risks.

How often is soccer played at weddings?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Swiss wouldn't even extradite noted child rapist Roman Polanski to the U.S., I doubt they'll extradite Blatter. Hopefully they can build a case against him with the Americans' help though and punish him domestically. The thought of Blatter sitting in a swank Swiss prison may not be as emotionally satisfying as the thought of him rotting in some desperate American dungeon, but ultimately it will mean the end of him and his grip over football and that's still a big win for everybody. The thought of Russia losing its World Cup over corruption brings joy to my heart. It probably won't happen, but I'll hold out hope for a while.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Wasn't Polanski hiding out in France?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gen. Ripper posted:

Polanski hides out and whines about how persecuted he is in a lot of different places.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

He was arrested on a US warrant in Switzerland when he went to attend a film festival. He fought the U.S. extradition order and won.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gen. Ripper posted:

He decided to fly to Zurich for a film festival and was stopped at the airport upon landing. The swiss used the fact that Polanski technically served most if not all of the slap on the wrist sentence he was going to get to deny the request.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Remember that time that Roman Polanski was facing RICO charges? That must be why we're talking about him now, right?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Radbot posted:

Remember that time that Roman Polanski was facing RICO charges? That must be why we're talking about him now, right?

I'm just saying, in the pantheon of crime child rape still trumps white collar crime, even as lovely as FIFA is, and the Swiss used a half assed excuse not to extradite someone who wasn't even their citizen.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm just saying, in the pantheon of crime child rape still trumps white collar crime, even as lovely as FIFA is, and the Swiss used a half assed excuse not to extradite someone who wasn't even their citizen.

Polanski wasn't running a massive world-wide child sex trafficking ring whose business was blatantly obvious to anyone with two functioning brain cells, though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

saintonan posted:

It's not really random if you bribe everyone to vote for you though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

A Pale Horse posted:

The Swiss wouldn't even extradite noted child rapist Roman Polanski to the U.S., I doubt they'll extradite Blatter.

Polanski's case was controversial, he has many friends and the offense was 40 years old. Also, rape was not what he was charged with. Blatter has no chance of contesting extradition if and when it happens.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

What's the etiquette for offering and accepting bribes for big-ticket items like becoming a World Cup host? Do you come to a handshake agreement before transferring the funds? Do a bunch of different countries get into a bidding war and you just go with the high bidder while pocketing everyone else's "deposits"? Or do you just throw a bunch of money at these guys all the time and wait for them to come through on something big?

edit: vvv obviously, but I was hoping for immediate satisfaction

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 29, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grey Fox posted:

What's the etiquette for offering and accepting bribes for big-ticket items like becoming a World Cup host? Do you come to a handshake agreement before transferring the funds? Do a bunch of different countries get into a bidding war and you just go with the high bidder while pocketing everyone else's "deposits"? Or do you just throw a bunch of money at these guys all the time and wait for them to come through on something big?
I bet this'll come up during the trial!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh, hey! Ask and ye shall receive:

quote:

Thereafter, in a private meeting, LEOZ told Co­ Conspirator #2, in sum and substance, that Co-Conspirator #2 would make a lot of money from the rights he was acquiring and that LEOZ did not think it was fair that he (LEOZ) did not also make money. LEOZ told Co-Conspirator #2 that he would not sign the contract if Co-Conspirator #2 did not agree to pay him a bribe. After Co-Conspirator #2 agreed to make the payment, LEOZ signed the contract. Co-Conspirator #2 caused the payment—a six-figure U.S. dollar payment—to be made to an account designated by LEOZ.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/how-many-ways-can-you-hide-a-bribe-the-best-of-the-fif-1707221505

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Some of those stories are great.

quote:

In a March 2014 meeting with Co-Conspirator #2 in Queens, New York to discuss the status of Traffic’s ongoing bribe schemes, including the Gold Cup/Champions League schemes, the defendant AARON DAVIDSON said, referring to the practice of paying bribes to obtain commercial rights: “Is it illegal? It is illegal. Within the big picture of things, a company that has worked in this industry for 30 years, is it bad? It is bad.”

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is FIFA hosed? Yes, they are hosed.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Not defending FIFA at all, but what are the actual criminal charges these people are facing? All I've been able to find in all the stories I've read just vaguely mention "bribery" and "corruption," but what laws were broken? There don't seem to be any government officials involved, the only examples given seem to involve one commercial enterprise bribing another. Anyone know any legal details here?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Born Approx. posted:

Not defending FIFA at all, but what are the actual criminal charges these people are facing? All I've been able to find in all the stories I've read just vaguely mention "bribery" and "corruption," but what laws were broken? There don't seem to be any government officials involved, the only examples given seem to involve one commercial enterprise bribing another. Anyone know any legal details here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_and_wire_fraud for starters.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The Born Approx. posted:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

quote:

A 47-count indictment was unsealed early this morning in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, charging 14 defendants with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies, among other offenses, in connection with the defendants’ participation in a 24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer. The guilty pleas of four individual defendants and two corporate defendants were also unsealed today.

somewhat beaten...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

The Born Approx. posted:

Just a quick note here, you are aware it is illegal to bribe people who are not government officials right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't give a poo poo about football/soccer and am enjoying this thread and the one in SAS immensely. It's the first time in my life the US has done something big and so unambiguously good that most of the world is cheerleading us. :unsmith: Can we please have more of this and less military adventures and GOP insanity?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

farraday posted:

Just a quick note here, you are aware it is illegal to bribe people who are not government officials right?

It's also illegal to bribe government officials if other officials who weren't in on the deal, and likely won't be in the future, find out.

E: Also, there's generally a certain amount of style and subtlety involved. Be too blatantly corrupt and other powerful people who have no objections whatsoever to your graft might take you down just because you make them look bad.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 29, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

farraday posted:

Under what law?

As far as I know, bribery of other than government officials is a matter of state law, and not universally illegal. It's not even clear to me that it would constitute commercial bribery if the people at the very top were in on it, though I might very well be wrong on that.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 29, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Strudel Man posted:

Under what law?
It's one of several types of fraud depending on circumstances.

When you do it interstate or internationally it is wire fraud. Wire fraud makes Uncle Sam mad.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Commercial bribery sounds a lot like regular ol' capitalism to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's one of several types of fraud depending on circumstances.

When you do it interstate or internationally it is wire fraud. Wire fraud makes Uncle Sam mad.
Yeah, they can use wire fraud to nab you. But as a general proposition, the act itself doesn't seem to be illegal at the federal level.

• Locked thread