Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I've had no problem reading Limsa dialogue and I can't tell if it's my crippling autism that lets me read it so clearly or if other goons are so autistic they can't read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can't it be both?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean sure the Adders might slack a little when on primal patrol, but within the lore isn't the Maelstrom arguably the worst since they're the ones that hosed their own beast tribe ceasefire with the Kobolds, which ultimately drove then to summon Titan again? Hence why Cragdad mentions protecting his children in his battle speech?

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 28, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

I mean sure the Adders might slack a little when on primal patrol, but within the lore isn't the Maelstrom arguably the worst since they're the ones that hosed their own beast tribe ceasefire with the Kobolds, which ultimately drove then to summon Titan again? Hence why Cragdad mentions protecting his children in his battle speech?

Limsa Lominsa is practically a military state and yes they're kinda bad guys for betraying the peace with the kobolds, who actually come off as probably harmless enough and wouldn't be much of a threat if Maelstrom didn't insist on provoking them, at least going by the beast tribe dailies. But you gotta give Merlwyb some credit for at least bothering to show up with the Maelstrom to confront Leviathan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I haven't done the kobold quest line yet but I kinda got the impression that the whole deal was less "Limsa as a state loving with the beastmen" and more "idiot ex-pirates loving around," and merlwyb just not wanting to cut the idiots responsible loose since it's hard enough keeping limsa together without giving the pirates more reason to rebel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also Ramuh was never a bother to Gridania so why should they bother with him. Live and let live in the forest, man. He only fights you to make sure you're worthy to actually guard the realm. He's not malevolent at all.

And mogglemog, I mean, really? Do you really send the army after one moogle shows up and says the king from heaven has come and we need to go bop his buddies? Why would you send the army after that? Silly moogles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also Ramuh was never a bother to Gridania so why should they bother with him. Live and let live in the forest, man. He only fights you to make sure you're worthy to actually guard the realm. He's not malevolent at all.

And mogglemog, I mean, really? Do you really send the army after one moogle shows up and says the king from heaven has come and we need to go bop his buddies? Why would you send the army after that? Silly moogles.

That's not really how it plays out in the context of the story though, Gridania is the one who requests your aid because they are worried about their primals getting uppity, and they send you to deal with it instead of doing so themselves.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have the nation's armies ever accomplished anything against the primals? I was under the impression using regular people to fight them was a fool's errand, and only capital-h Heroes really have a chance.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

That's not really how it plays out in the context of the story though, Gridania is the one who requests your aid because they are worried about their primals getting uppity, and they send you to deal with it instead of doing so themselves.

They're to busy keeping all races except elfs down (but not dark elfs cause gently caress them too)

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Koji actually talked about that last year at the fan fest. Normal people killing primals involved massive armies with hundreds of people dying and fighting through their tempered former allies. The guys you meet in the titan questline are basically the last couple guys that managed to survive and thus take all the credit.

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Magil Zeal posted:

That's what I'm saying. They need some real poo poo to get the army out. Beard dad has been chilling pretty much forever. The hero dude had some good rapport with the sylphs. He can calm them down. No army needed.

When poo poo got real Kann-e-senna rolled out and laid down the law. It's not that they need help with their primals, it's just that you're useful for menial tasks that don't really matter. They make it seem like they're desperate for your help, but they're just really not in the mood to deal with it themselves. They've got a forest to manage. Primals are such small picture things. Keeping the forest happy is #1.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I still have no idea how to pronounce most Roe names. I assume her name is pronounced Merl-wib Blow-fis-whagon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Have the nation's armies ever accomplished anything against the primals? I was under the impression using regular people to fight them was a fool's errand, and only capital-h Heroes really have a chance.

Isn't it established in the Ifrit fight that anybody who finds themself in the presence of a primal gets enthralled and must be killed afterward? I thought they made a big deal about how the echo made it uniquely possible to even approach a primal without getting hosed.

Or is that just an Ifrit thing?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

petcarcharodon posted:

Koji actually talked about that last year at the fan fest. Normal people killing primals involved massive armies with hundreds of people dying and fighting through their tempered former allies.

I think the Leviathan story line explicitly mentions this. The last time Leviathan showed up, Limsa managed to trap it inside a cave and then sent waves of soldiers in to kill it. Sadly Leviathan wouldn't fall for the same trick twice so they needed to come up with another solution to destroy it, and that's where you and your seven random buddies come into play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Self perpetuating violence is a big theme of the beast tribe/primal stuff though, beast tribe feels threatened so they summon their primal, city state feels threatened so they summon you to murder their primal, beast tribe is even more threatened so they get more crystals to summon an even stronger primal etc. Sylphs are kind of an exception cause they and Ramuh have a pretty good relationship with Gridania and only summoned cause the Garleans were loving things up, but the Adders still aren't too excited about living next door to a primal.

That's what makes the beast tribe quests so cool because there is a way more nuanced relationship between civilized races and monster races than MMOs usually have, and the beasts that avoided being tempered by their primal aren't super stoked about the situation either.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Bah, the kobolds fired first on Limsa Lominsa, at the Red Rooster Stead, by leaving the tunnels and attacking the nearby farmland! It's a questline that starts around level 5 or 7 or whatever, which is totally chronologically before titan, ergo gently caress the kobolds.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think it's supposed to be an actual act of will by the primal to temper someone. Like they can do it basically instantly but it requires a deliberate act to do it. So I think the idea is that armies can defeat them by throwing tons of bodies at them and hopefully kill the primal and it's tempered buddies faster than it can make new ones. So basically just throwing soldiers into a meat grinder until it jams up.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
There are also the Elementals to keep track of in the Forests. Seems like they are a bigger deal than Primals.

So why do they never do anything other than be assholes?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Because the Gridanians are too busy worshipping the Elementals as God figures to have beef with them. In between being racist dicks to outsiders.

I'm shocked that uldahs money-havers draw more goon ire than the religious forest racists.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Kortel posted:

There are also the Elementals to keep track of in the Forests. Seems like they are a bigger deal than Primals.

So why do they never do anything other than be assholes?

They help you out during the Conjurer quests a couple of times. So there's that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Hundreds of people toxxed for Mitt Romney during the 2012 US election, and we all know how that turned out for them.

The 2016 Clinton vs Clownshoe toxx threads are going to probably purge a shitload of people too.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife is really bad with names of characters in fantasy games, so when we were talking about the 2.2 story quests (which she just finished), she referred to Teledji as "the potato with the white hair and hat" and Lolorito as "the potato with the face mask". Almost brought a tear of pride to my eye.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Teledji" is really fun to say though :(

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When I read the detail that there was no way to reverse tempering and affected allies had to be executed, my thought was that someone let Yoko Taro into the writer's room by mistake.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If I'm remembering right, Limsa is in an interesting position re: beast tribes.

The Sahagins' spawning grounds got wrecked during the Calamity, so they invaded Limsa's lands in order to have a place to reproduce and suchlike, because apparently they have to do that on land.

And I seem to recall that because Limsa is growing successfully, they're essentially succeeding themselves to death because they have nowhere to expand except into Kobold lands, and if they don't expand people start going hungry/not having anywhere to live/dying.

So Limsa are at the same time the victims of the thing they themselves are doing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

petcarcharodon posted:

Koji actually talked about that last year at the fan fest. Normal people killing primals involved massive armies with hundreds of people dying and fighting through their tempered former allies. The guys you meet in the titan questline are basically the last couple guys that managed to survive and thus take all the credit.

And this is why those that survived this are really weird and hosed up because after living through and surviving that, how the gently caress could they NOT be?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's the real important cross-class skills to get for White Mage?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So I playing final fantasy 14 again after 6 months, I hated the old guild I was it, it was small and was kind of run by creeps and always force me to run dragoon even though I hated it. so I started fresh on the goon guild as a potato black mage. I enjoy playing him mush more then dragoon. the gimmick with this class is easier for me to play then attacking from the sides ad back as dragoon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zerilan posted:

Swiftcast is the big one, but Virus (if your group doesn't have a scholar or summoner) and Eye for an Eye are pretty decent too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Swiftcast is 100% must-have. Eye for an Eye and Virus are must-have if you're doing Coil. Surecast is nice, and the fifth slot can be anything because all your options for it are terrible.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Swiftcast is 100% must-have. Eye for an Eye and Virus are must-have if you're doing Coil. Surecast is nice, and the fifth slot can be anything because all your options for it are terrible.

Physick, because cure can't crit.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

You might think everything is going well in Gridania what with the Sylphs on amicable terms with the Gridanians but if you had bothered to pay any attention to the EXTENDED UNIVERSE BEAST TRIBE PLOT you would know that Ramuh getting mad and killing everyone pretty much depends on if the purple sylphs can successfully kidnap the green sylphs' jesus baby and make it a jerk like themselves.

Anyway, the point is that the wind-up violet minion is the best minion in the game and that it's okay to max out your rep with the sylphs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kharaa posted:

Physick, because cure can't crit.

I think it would be hilarious if they did actually make some difference between cure and physick in HW.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Venomous Bite will be the new Fracture.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cyron posted:

So I playing final fantasy 14 again after 6 months, I hated the old guild I was it, it was small and was kind of run by creeps and always force me to run dragoon even though I hated it. so I started fresh on the goon guild as a potato black mage. I enjoy playing him mush more then dragoon. the gimmick with this class is easier for me to play then attacking from the sides ad back as dragoon.

While you made the right choice on all points, I'm guessing the positionals might have been frustrating because you didn't realize how to distinguish rear/flank/front. If that is the case, look at the targeting circle. The thickness of lines in the circle changes at the borders between the flank and both the front and the rear.

e: helpful image

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 29, 2015

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah poo poo, Arcanist is my lowest class too. Mostly doing this to level alongside a tank buddy though so probably won't be running Coil as a healer. I'll probably need that stuff anyway though in HW when I try out Astro.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
No, 6 months ago DRG was extremely frustrating to play because if you missed your positional on Impulse Drive you couldn't combo.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
chiming in to say that the rogue quest is my favorite class quest in part because the text was so fun to read. it's even better when I read it outloud. :allears:

Jacke is pretty awesome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Ah poo poo, Arcanist is my lowest class too. Mostly doing this to level alongside a tank buddy though so probably won't be running Coil as a healer. I'll probably need that stuff anyway though in HW when I try out Astro.

Astros won't be able to cross-class arcanist abilities, so you're good to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Man after finishing this game I really want to know what some of these guys were thinking when they doublecrossed the MC.

"Oh he just killed a few god like things, I am sure this won't end badly"
Though I am not sure why my monk surrendered to a potato and a couple of guards.

• Locked thread