Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've introduced my fiance to the d&d adventure series games. She's really taken to them, which is wonderful as she is an absolute non-gamer. We have all of them including the dungeon command expansions and TOEE. We're also having fun with mice and mystics with the expansions. Tried showing her arkham horror but it wasn't quite her thing... any other suggestions for co-op games we can play that are rpg-lite like the above? Was looking at descent but it looks like with 2 players it needs to be pvp right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

pretty much every game here save for Settlers gets regular play.

Admitting to regularly playing Munchkin? That's...bold.

Broken Loose posted:

The only non-empty boxes on top of the main Shelf are Dominion (which contains Power-Up!) and Dominion: Alchemy (which contains Final Attack!), if you don't count errata'ed cards, Dominion blnaks, and stuff like the extra Stealth Fighter that came with Space Alert: New Frontier. It does freak people out at first.

The cats never get up there and my dingo doesn't ever gently caress with The Shelf, so it's actually really stable.

Wait, you have a dingo?!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna post my collection and redact CE like it's the Warren report

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm sorry your living space isn't nearly disgusting enough and you have three of the 'forbidden games' on your tiny shelves; please remove yourself from this thread and cease posting here.

Haha, I promise the rest of the apartment isn't as sterile. I work from home and I'm ocd about having a clean workspace. Which three? Muchkin, Catan, and?

Some Numbers posted:

Admitting to regularly playing Munchkin? That's...bold.

Well, not in about 2 years actually, forgot about that one. My wife does love it though.

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, you have a dingo?!

Oh, whatup dingo club. This is mine

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think if I stored my boxes sideways my giant stack of Combat Commander maps and scenario cards would start to warp so it's stacking for me. Also 1999 Acquire and some other stuff wouldn't fit sideways.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, I promise the rest of the apartment isn't as sterile. I work from home and I'm ocd about having a clean workspace. Which three? Muchkin, Catan, and?

Well, not in about 2 years actually, forgot about that one. My wife does love it though.

Oh, whatup dingo club. This is mine

yo, what is it with orlando and dingos? god yours even has the same stupid tail tuft

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, you have a dingo?!

Believe me, the more you know about me, the weirder I look.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

the weirder I look.

Those bed sheets are backing up your statement. Our dingos should be dingbros. :hfive:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've introduced my fiance to the d&d adventure series games. She's really taken to them, which is wonderful as she is an absolute non-gamer. We have all of them including the dungeon command expansions and TOEE. We're also having fun with mice and mystics with the expansions. Tried showing her arkham horror but it wasn't quite her thing... any other suggestions for co-op games we can play that are rpg-lite like the above? Was looking at descent but it looks like with 2 players it needs to be pvp right?

Yeah, Descent has one player playing as the dungeon master or whatever.
So does Mansions of Madness.

I have talked about Legends of Andor in this thread, it's pure co-op and I really enjoyed it. link

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bottom Liner posted:

Muchkin, Epic Spell Wars, and Smash Up were the three I was looking at, though Cranium and Catan both have a poor track record around here.

(I personally like Epic Spell Wars, but only as a quick, play until it isn't funny filler game)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Mage Knight isn't quite a dungeon crawler (it probably has more in common with "adventure games" like Runebound and Talisman but without being poo poo), but it's good and has substantially different mechanics than your standard dungeon crawler like Descent or Star Wars.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah, Descent has one player playing as the dungeon master or whatever.
So does Mansions of Madness.

I have talked about Legends of Andor in this thread, it's pure co-op and I really enjoyed it. link

LotR LCG isn't a dungeon crawl per se but it's a pretty fun co-op. Wife likes alot

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bottom Liner posted:

Our dingos shCould be dingbros. :hfive:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
So, I have the LOTR LCG core set and I really respect how tight and well thought out the mechanics are. But to me every time I play it just feels like such a strict puzzle that I can't have as much fun as I want to be having. It always feels like if I send enough people questing then I won't have anyone left to deal with enemies, and vice versa. Obviously this is by design, yes, but often I just wanna feel a tiny bit more powerful and maybe ramp down the tension a little bit so I can experience the story of each of the adventures.

Any recommendations? Is my problem that I need to cough up some money for a few of the early adventure decks to make a better deck? Do I need another core set (ugh I hate this monetization model but I guess it makes FFG lots of money)?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Do you have some sleeves? I would just make some proxies to get 3 of some of the power cards in the Core set and or from the first cycle and see if that loosens things up for you. Even something as crude as writing "STEWARD OF GONDORK LOL" on a teared off piece of paper and putting it in a sleeve would give you an better idea of what the game plays like with a more powerful deck.

Also, how many players/decks are you playing? A lot of people play purely solo and with one deck, but I personally don't like to play it that way and always play with at least 2 decks, usually only piloting one myself but sometimes 2.

I think some of the cards are also marked to indicate they can be removed from the encounter deck to make it easier if you want to try that.

Journey down the Anduin and Escape from Dol Guldur are pretty dang tough with just a basic deck from the core set.

The game really let's you dial in the difficulty if you want when you have more player cards and scenarios; you can make a stupid powerful deck and stomp all over the first cycle, or get crushed by the nightmare versions of scenarios.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dropkickpikachu posted:

So, I have the LOTR LCG core set and I really respect how tight and well thought out the mechanics are. But to me every time I play it just feels like such a strict puzzle that I can't have as much fun as I want to be having. It always feels like if I send enough people questing then I won't have anyone left to deal with enemies, and vice versa. Obviously this is by design, yes, but often I just wanna feel a tiny bit more powerful and maybe ramp down the tension a little bit so I can experience the story of each of the adventures.

Any recommendations? Is my problem that I need to cough up some money for a few of the early adventure decks to make a better deck? Do I need another core set (ugh I hate this monetization model but I guess it makes FFG lots of money)?

LOTR I think is balanced around having two "players." Playing it with only one player is really hard (and Escape from Dol Guldur likely impossible...), so make two decks (you will likely need two cores for this) and try that. It eases the game a lot more.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I envy you people and your neatly collected collections. I filled all the existing bookshelf space in our living room that my wife will abide long ago, and now have the overflow in a couple sad piles waiting for a new bookshelf for my study :(

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Mage Knight isn't quite a dungeon crawler (it probably has more in common with "adventure games" like Runebound and Talisman but without being poo poo), but it's good and has substantially different mechanics than your standard dungeon crawler like Descent or Star Wars.

This looks really interesting, didn't think it was co-op. Also thanks other guy for the suggestion, too. I'll check them both out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Mage Knight. Takes some learning, but super-satisfying and very tight on design, and best played co-op with a low player count, so ideal really.

They were supposed to be releasing some AIs for Descent, anyone know what happened with those?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mage Knight is the best game ever and not nearly as daunting or confusing as it seems at first.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

They were supposed to be releasing some AIs for Descent, anyone know what happened with those?

There are adventures for them out on the Vault, I think, but the AIs aren't general ones - they're just tailored to a couple of missions. Not exactly inspiring.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This looks really interesting, didn't think it was co-op. Also thanks other guy for the suggestion, too. I'll check them both out.

Obligatory links to my Mage Knight PBPs if you want to check the gameplay out a bit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It works both ways, but is far, far better as a co-op IME.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

My tiny board game collection currently fits in this little end table dealie upon which i pile whatever crap I haven't put away yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My collection is so small as to not even be worth photographing D: I own: Paperback, Glory to Rome, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz. And one of the D&D board games I bought entirely for the minis, just before the Reaper Bones kickstarter happened D: And Dungeon Lords and Petz live at my friend's house semi-permanently because that's where we play.

These are both the glories and the perils of having a friend who owns ALL THE GAMES - you don't have to shell out for them yourself, nor do you have to store them - but you can't play them without visiting someone else's house, and you're hosed if they move...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'd post my collection, but I think you guys might have a heart attack if I show you the condition of some of my game boxes. I, uh, don't really take good care of my things...

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

OmegaGoo posted:

I'd post my collection, but I think you guys might have a heart attack if I show you the condition of some of my game boxes. I, uh, don't really take good care of my things...

I only needed one accidentally sat on RoboRally box (seen above) to start bein' a bit more careful with where I put my poo poo. Now all my wear and tear comes from haphazardly shoving more boxes in a backpack than should really fit properly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OmegaGoo posted:

My copy of Keyflower got stepped on at a meetup and now the lid has a huge hole with tape over it. Other games have banged up corners or bleached covers from sitting in the backseat of my car too long. Just means they're well-loved and I'm too poor to afford storage indoors.

e: BattleCON and Puzzle Strike are both so bleached that they're unrecognizable from a distance lol

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Tash-Kalar's box is about double the size what I thought it would be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

fozzy fosbourne posted:

LotR LCG isn't a dungeon crawl per se but it's a pretty fun co-op. Wife likes alot

I picked it up a little while ago but haven't busted it out yet, looking forward to trying it with my wife as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I unfortunately have never learned how to post pics on somethingawful, so my collection will have to remain a mystery :negative:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Also the new IPad version of Dominant Species will be releasing soon. The upgrade will be free for existing owners. New buyers will pay $6.99 instead of the current $4.99, so if you want it cheaper, get it now.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Yay, storage chat!

These aren't the IKEA Expedit ones, they're the replacement Kallax model, same style but apparently different wood? Not sure, does the job though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lorini posted:

I unfortunately have never learned how to post pics on somethingawful, so my collection will have to remain a mystery :negative:

here you go

Honestly, if you just ctrl+v the location of an image into the post, it'll automatically add [img] tags for you.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I generally leave a couple games in my bag at any given time, so the shelf is usually just big enough. In the deck boxes on the end are Dominion, and the cards/drive keys for Final Attack. The rest is with the poker chips.

Looking at my collection, I need a good party game, and a big heavy game, so I think I'm gonna get Pictomania for the former, and I'm contemplating Dominant Species for the latter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

here you go

Honestly, if you just ctrl+v the location of an image into the post, it'll automatically add [img] tags for you.

Thanks! I'll have my pic up soon.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Is dog cooperative? What's the price point to get started?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speaking of storage: is there a dominion storage box that is something along the lines of the Smash Up big box or the Bigger Blacker Box for Cards Against Humanity?

I think a long row with dividers would be way more space-efficient than half a dozen 12"x12"x3" boxes.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of storage: is there a dominion storage box that is something along the lines of the Smash Up big box or the Bigger Blacker Box for Cards Against Humanity?

I think a long row with dividers would be way more space-efficient than half a dozen 12"x12"x3" boxes.

No regrets.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is dog cooperative? What's the price point to get started?

there are some balance issues since white dog has first-turn advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Broken Loose posted:

there are some balance issues since white dog has first-turn advantage

Oh wow.