Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Bald Mountain spoilers Death March Imlerith is no joke goddamn. Had to drop it down to B&BB after dying constantly to his teleporting shenanigans in his last third of health and it was infinitely easier.

Archimago posted:

That was one of my favorite scenes. Except if you get Triss to stay you have a little bro moment with Djikstra. It's really well done, and he is one of my favorite characters in the game.

Also, going to echo the sentiment that the facial expressions are so well done in this game. Like the sly looks and subtle eyebrow raises and furrowed brows and curled lips...so loving good.

Man I wish I hadn't of hosed up getting his treasure. :( I sat through that whole torture scene and either completely forgot to raid his desk afterwards or didn't read the letter so he ended up getting pissed at me later on. He was the only one to not join the Kaer Morhen battle for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

Yeah, combat is only difficult if you don't understand the tools at your disposal. Yrden is great if you're fighting a big dude like a golem or wyvern (or anything incoporal) because it slows them to a crawl. Igni is great CC. Axii is too, except with humans which it lets you instantly murder with a high chance. Quen lets you make mistakes in combat and figure out what an enemy can do.

That doesn't even count bombs, decoctions, etc. I have a decoction that heals me when I deal damage. You have counters to nearly everything the game throws at you from the outset. Geralt is hilariously powerful.

if only it wasnt such a chore to use all the tools at your disposal

i love this drat game but its inventory is super mouse and keyboard which isnt a super good thing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Harrow posted:

I'm considering respeccing from a Signs build to an Alchemy build (as soon as I get to Kaer Morhen because I sent Keira there and I'm pretty sure she's the only one I can buy respec potions from), but I'm not entirely sure yet.

The merchant above the barber in Novigrad sells a respec potion if you're looking to get one right away.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Broken Cog posted:

It sucks that the troll decoction seems really good, because I don't want to murder any trolls for their mutagen.

Only a minor spoiler, but better safe than sorry: There are trolls that can't/don't talk and attack you on sight.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blue Raider posted:

if only it wasnt such a chore to use all the tools at your disposal

i love this drat game but its inventory is super mouse and keyboard which isnt a super good thing

There are some real improvements that could be made for certain. It's telling how much I'm enjoying the game despite annoyances that would completely ruin another game for me. It's some good poo poo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Harrow posted:

I'm considering respeccing from a Signs build to an Alchemy build (as soon as I get to Kaer Morhen because I sent Keira there and I'm pretty sure she's the only one I can buy respec potions from), but I'm not entirely sure yet.

On the one hand, I'm not a big fan of what the Griffin gear looks like, and that's by far the best equipment I know of for a Signs build. With Alchemy, I could maybe go Cat School for high damage and crits and rely on my decoctions and potions to make up for my fragility, or Bear School and just be a massive wall of (really agile) armor. I'm not sure how expensive it would be to keep stocked up on strong alcohol, though, whereas with a Signs build, I can pretty much spam all day long thanks to that crazy Griffin School Stamina regen.

Obviously on the second-hardest difficulty, anything will get you through the game no problem, but I'm wondering what people are having the most fun with.

I did Griffin School, I wouldn't worry about stamina for Signs and just grab the perk that lets you spend an adrenaline points to use a sign. Early on it was nice because you really noticed how rolling would set you back on using a sign, but later in the game I spend 2 levels naked because I crafted the higher level of gear without looking at the level req on it. Finally did look on the mastercrafted stuff and of course this time I was already at the level needed to use it. It's weird because the swords were both a level lower than the armor, but it was ok because it showed me how little gear really mattered in the grand scheme of things and forced me to actually play smarter for a short while, not to mention the cutscenes were pretty funny with everyone taking to Geralt who was naked except his underwear.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Harrow posted:

On the one hand, I'm not a big fan of what the Griffin gear looks like, and that's by far the best equipment I know of for a Signs build. With Alchemy, I could maybe go Cat School for high damage and crits and rely on my decoctions and potions to make up for my fragility, or Bear School and just be a massive wall of (really agile) armor. I'm not sure how expensive it would be to keep stocked up on strong alcohol, though, whereas with a Signs build, I can pretty much spam all day long thanks to that crazy Griffin School Stamina regen.

Obviously on the second-hardest difficulty, anything will get you through the game no problem, but I'm wondering what people are having the most fun with.

There's a massive brewery you can raid that will keep you stocked on alcohol for the remainder of the game. It's located in Velen, head east from Mulbrydale in Gray Rocks. Guarded by low-ish level bandits iirc.

Alchemy scales like absolute poo poo on the harder difficulties if you don't keep up with the recipes. You can take any armor you like because its way more important to upgrade bombs and potions.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i spent all last night just doing witcher contracts

im loving like level 10

how does this game own so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

The merchant above the barber in Novigrad sells a respec potion if you're looking to get one right away.

Oh, perfect, thanks. If nothing else there are some points I'd like to shift around in my Signs tree, so that's useful, and it's not like I'm spending money on anything else but repairs.

Woozy posted:

There's a massive brewery you can raid that will keep you stocked on alcohol for the remainder of the game. It's located in Velen, head east from Mulbrydale in Gray Rocks. Guarded by low-ish level bandits iirc.

Alchemy scales like absolute poo poo on the harder difficulties if you don't keep up with the recipes. You can take any armor you like because its way more important to upgrade bombs and potions.

Yeah, I suppose keeping up on the recipes would be a challenge. Alchemy seems like it rewards knowledge a lot--if you know where to find recipes and ingredients, you can become a minor deity, but otherwise you're just some guy with bombs and a high alcohol tolerance.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ra-amun posted:

Man I wish I hadn't of hosed up getting his treasure. :( I sat through that whole torture scene and either completely forgot to raid his desk afterwards or didn't read the letter so he ended up getting pissed at me later on. He was the only one to not join the Kaer Morhen battle for me.

What, you mean to tell me there's something more to that quest than handing the key to him without knowing what it unlocks? I ALWAYS loot every office I'm in but you're saying I missed something that would've told me where Menge had stashed Djkstra's treasure? Man, this sucks.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Geralt's alcohol tolerance is terrible. He has one beer and he can hardly see. Lightweight pussy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azazell0 posted:

What, you mean to tell me there's something more to that quest than handing the key to him without knowing what it unlocks? I ALWAYS loot every office I'm in but you're saying I missed something that would've told me where Menge had stashed Djkstra's treasure? Man, this sucks.

You can ask him about it during the Triss torture scene, but then he'll see through your ruse when you ask him about the location of Dandelion, and Triss will be mad at you. It's really out of reach anyway, so I don't know how much it would matter.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

There are some real improvements that could be made for certain. It's telling how much I'm enjoying the game despite annoyances that would completely ruin another game for me. It's some good poo poo.

i just ignore the stuff that annoys me and its worked out pretty well so far. i dont know that ive used a single bomb for instance

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Just saw the bard's ballad in the tavern in Novigrad. Completely incredible scene.

I can already say that this is by far the best computer role-playing game ever made, nothing else compares.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blue Raider posted:

i just ignore the stuff that annoys me and its worked out pretty well so far. i dont know that ive used a single bomb for instance
Bombs are pretty great. I especially like Northern Wind and cannot wait to get a better version of it so I have more than two to use per rest cycle.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Ra-amun posted:

Hmm, regarding Djikstra's Treasure:

I definitely raided the desk and poo poo, but don't remember actually recovering the treasure? That quest was completed but I don't remember anything about him getting the treasure back? Djikstra's not mad at me as far as I know though. There's no actual go and grab his treasure from a box quest, right?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blue Raider posted:

bombs are great though. Just put them in a slot and go. I don't dig through my inventory much either. I pretty much fight with my signs and my quickslots of choice. I might go through the inventory if I'm roadblocked on a particularly difficult fight but I think you're right about ignoring what annoys you.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So I got a wyvern trophy I can't get rid of. The contract should be completed (I'm pretty sure it was from the quest for the master armorer) but it won't let me sell or drop it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I don't care that the "witcher codex" recommends political neutrality, I am going to goddamn murder any squirrel tail bandits that are attacking civilians.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It looks like I'm missing the Swamp Thing contract, the noticeboard in Downwarren had no quests for me, anybody knows if it requires a certain amount of main quest progress or did I break another sidequest?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I don't care that the "witcher codex" recommends political neutrality, I am going to goddamn murder any squirrel tail bandits that are attacking civilians.
The "witcher codex" is all in Geralt, and thus your, head. Do whatever the gently caress you want.

Asehujiko posted:

It looks like I'm missing the Swamp Thing contract, the noticeboard in Downwarren had no quests for me, anybody knows if it requires a certain amount of main quest progress or did I break another sidequest?
I think I got that one for myself by wandering around in the swamp, if I remember correctly anyway...there are so many drat quests.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

The "witcher codex" is all in Geralt, and thus your, head. Do whatever the gently caress you want.

I think I got that one for myself by wandering around in the swamp, if I remember correctly anyway...there are so many drat quests.
I watched a video after I found a noticeboard with no quests at all associated with it and in the video there was definitely a contract letter on the board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

You know, that'd be a fun way to play through the game.

Total neutrality Refuse to take a stand on any issue. Take quests, demand your money and move on regardless. If you have to take a stand take whatever stand has the least impact possible. See how much of an uninvolved rear end in a top hat you can be.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Witch hunters should throw Dimeritium bombs in combat. It would contribute to gameplay, distinguish witch hunters from other human combatants, and makes their role make more sense. I sort of don't get how these mages and sorceresses are cowering in fear when you have people like Triss who can effortlessly light dudes' balls on fire literally and weaponize any source of flame like a torch or brazier. Or teleport out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

Witch hunters should throw Dimeritium bombs in combat. It would contribute to gameplay, distinguish witch hunters from other human combatants, and makes their role make more sense. I sort of don't get how these mages and sorceresses are cowering in fear when you have people like Triss who can effortlessly light dudes' balls on fire literally and weaponize any source of flame like a torch or brazier. Or teleport out.

Or take a single surprise arrow and die.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Hoping that a future DLC is a quest to follow up on your threat to "repay" the crones for their "kindness". Of course given that Vellen is a peasant misery simulator killing them will be a double edged sword in some way.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

theDOWmustflow posted:

You know what? That does bother me, you see the bombs on their bandoliers. They should use them. :mad:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

If I remember correctly, the Witcher codex is basically something that Geralt (and probably other witchers as well) just makes up on the spot. It says whatever is convenient for him at the moment, mostly so that he has an easy way to weasel out of contracts he doesn't like, and to give himself a firmer bargaining position for those he does take.

Edit: Man, I just finished that sidequest where you go on a party with Triss. Tipsy Triss is just painfully adorable :3:.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 28, 2015

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sauer posted:

Hoping that a future DLC is a quest to follow up on your threat to "repay" the crones for their "kindness". Of course given that Vellen is a peasant misery simulator killing them will be a double edged sword in some way.

Spoiler for this: They can be killed. From one of the endings I've seen, it looks like Ciri kills 2 of them, and you can go on a suicide mission to kill the 3rd one.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ImpAtom posted:

Baron Spoiler Stuff
You're just completely misunderstanding, I think, and reading into it an angle that isn't there so that you can hang your hat on its as the entire meaning of the thing. You're fixated on the idea that this is somehow a reward for the Baron, or that Anna is "forced to go back to her abusive husband." Anna's insane at that point, she doesn't even recognize her husband or her daughter. He is not "given full control over the woman he abused" because that woman no longer exists, or is buried in madness she might never escape from, and she's not "going back" to life as the wife of the Bloody Baron because he's abandoning that to seek help for her.

The only way to help Anna now is to do something to maybe bring her back to her sanity and health. And you're proposing the right thing to have done there is... I dunno... leave her like that? Even Geralt is at a loss whether there is anything at all that can be done, and the Baron is the only person who knows of even a long shot chance to restore Anna's sanity. He is very obviously not taking her away because he wants to control her or abuse her, and there is no suggestion that Anna would necessarily want to be with him or that she wouldn't immediately dump him a second time if he did help her recover. The point is not whether we or Anna or anyone should forgive the Baron, it's whether he's even capable of becoming a person who can be forgiven for hurting the people he should have loved most, and the answer is a big fat "maybe."

Basically I think you've chosen to paint the Baron in a particular light on the basis of things he absolutely did do and which are in fact terrible things which are entirely his fault and the cause of his family's pain, and then thrown out all the work Geralt puts into the guy to make him realize just how awful everything he did was and that he has an obligation to do something about it. The fact he's been such a huge dick puts even greater responsibility on him to prove he has changed, that's why Tamara still treats him with anger and suspicion and even after everything wants nothing to do with him and is only doing things for her mother's sake. The storyline goes out of its way to point out that most people, yourself included clearly, probably can't forgive the Baron; but through Geralt's eyes we've seen him do things like hold a hideous monster in his arms and name it his daughter, or mope in depressed contemplation as Geralt's tough love sinks in and he realizes that yeah, actually, Anna and Tamara ran away because he was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and maybe he deserves to die alone. But stopping there doesn't follow through on the narrative arc.

And ultimately the narrative arc has to focus on the Baron as the primary focal character because it's a redemption (or failed redemption) story, it's about whether the Baron has any humanity left and what he'll do when confronted with the harsh facts by Geralt that everything was his own fault and even if he works really hard he might never make up for it (but trying is better than not trying). And also because the writers are trying to parallel two characters who are fathers looking for their family which has greater thematic weight later in the story, long after the Baron stuff is irrelevant. Contrasting the Baron's bad example with Geralt's seemingly positive one (at least as the Ciri sequences suggest) is important, and the "twist" of the Baron maybe having some remorse and the ability to change allows the player to ask questions of Geralt and Ciri's relationship and whether what Geralt has done is wholly positive (which, ending sorta-spoilers, informs the player that being Ciri's Cool Badass Dad all the time might not be what's best for her). To that extent it's understandable why it doesn't focus as strongly on the victims, but at the same time we see very clearly that at least one of them is not moved by his efforts, and she has every right to be, and her opinion is ultimately respected by the narrative.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Harrow posted:

Oh, perfect, thanks. If nothing else there are some points I'd like to shift around in my Signs tree, so that's useful, and it's not like I'm spending money on anything else but repairs.

Yeah, I suppose keeping up on the recipes would be a challenge. Alchemy seems like it rewards knowledge a lot--if you know where to find recipes and ingredients, you can become a minor deity, but otherwise you're just some guy with bombs and a high alcohol tolerance.

Fortunately there's a merchant early on who can help you fill out your list of recipes. I drat near gave up on Alchemy entirely until I found him in Novigrad, towards the north shore of Silvereton. Takes a short quest to unlock his merchandise.

Hopefully someone else can confirm but I believe the more recipes you buy for Alchemy, the more upgrades and new decoctions will appear in chests. That is, you aren't likely to randomly receive a recipe you already own so eventually the only things that drop are upgrades.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Didn't this game end up heavily borrowing from the Roche route in 2 instead of the Iorveth route? Wouldn't that make the Roche route more likely the canon one?

EDIT, unrelated: I'm surprised I haven't seen more videos/articles of outraged feminists/SJWs about how sexist and oppressive the game is.

ehh the game does a decent job with portraying the brutal gender politics of medieaval times yet still has women characters with agency. see the baron questline for something that could have gone incredibly wrong if handled improperly, but managed to actually do a decent job of representing womens issues like abortion and domestic violence without being awful or insensitive, despite the incredibly metal presentation

apart from the weird sex cards in the first one the series has always been fairly decent with the attitude to sex too, or at least less adolescent than other games that use it as some final culmination of your relationship (read: hitting the top dialogue option repeatedly)

also don't conflate feminists and SJWs. better yet abandon 'sjw' as a descriptor entirely

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 28, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
woah at there being different ways the Baron quest can turn out

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

You know, that'd be a fun way to play through the game.

Total neutrality Refuse to take a stand on any issue. Take quests, demand your money and move on regardless. If you have to take a stand take whatever stand has the least impact possible. See how much of an uninvolved rear end in a top hat you can be.

This is what I've been doing so far. Uh, minus the squirrel tails. :v:

It's...intense, really. Geralt's incredibly mercenary - I will work for the agreed price and will do exactly as asked, but I will consider a contract broken if it turns out the person who hired me has been lying or knowingly misleading. Not sure if this is going to bite me in the rear end but I'm doing pretty well for myself so far.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
My main roleplaying decision this run is to pretty much never trust a monster and especially never to trust a spirit. No matter how harmless the monster may seem or how dickbag the human involved might be, that monster's getting killed, period.

Incidentally this has been great for my decoction collection.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So far my way of responding has been generally: If someone puts out a contract, gently caress you pay me. If I meet someone and they need help and are nice: I'll generally go out of my way to help and I'll always take money offered. If I meet an rear end in a top hat then I'm an rear end in a top hat back even if I think they'll attack me and I pick the most dickish responses I can.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sauer posted:

Yeah. God, that whole arc was just loving amazing. Baron/Crones, shits incredible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Woozy posted:

Fortunately there's a merchant early on who can help you fill out your list of recipes. I drat near gave up on Alchemy entirely until I found him in Novigrad, towards the north shore of Silvereton. Takes a short quest to unlock his merchandise.

Hopefully someone else can confirm but I believe the more recipes you buy for Alchemy, the more upgrades and new decoctions will appear in chests. That is, you aren't likely to randomly receive a recipe you already own so eventually the only things that drop are upgrades.

I will be doing that, then.

Did a bit more research into what I want to respec into and I think I'll definitely respec into Alchemy (or, at least an Alchemy + Cat School fast attack build). High-level Signs play doesn't really seem like my cup of tea (hold down Firestream, watch things die). I'd much rather dance around the battlefield flinging bombs and slicing things to ribbons while hopped up on increasingly toxic Witcher drugs.

Also, is it true that when you meditate, it only takes one dose of alcohol to refill all your potions, bombs, and decoctions? I read that in a thread as I was Googling. I'd just assumed that it used as many doses of alcohol as potion uses, decoction uses, and bomb uses you had to refill. If that's the case, then poo poo, refilling alchemy consumables is cheap as hell.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What is in this Cave ?

It is guarded by lvl31 Wild Hunt ghosts and I encountered a walled door barring my way after a while, the minimap hint that there is a bunch of stuff behind that door including a ?.

Also this game has the coolest horses ever.

(with the infamous wyvern trophy that I've been carrying for 40 hours or so since it is impossible to get rid of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also, is it true that when you meditate, it only takes one dose of alcohol to refill all your potions, bombs, and decoctions? I read that in a thread as I was Googling. I'd just assumed that it used as many doses of alcohol as potion uses, decoction uses, and bomb uses you had to refill. If that's the case, then poo poo, refilling alchemy consumables is cheap as hell.

Yes, it is true.