Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Going to practice my sweet dangles at the beach. A tad pricey if you ask me, but looks like it could be fun at a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

AAB posted:

I need some suggestions for elbow pads. mine are almost wrecked to hell and the velcro barely works and is torn in the webbing part.

There is no such thing. They all suck. gently caress elbow pads. I'm looking forward to the day they come out with an adult sized version of those children's pad suits, where you can just pull on a sweater with your chest/shoulder and elbow pads sewn in.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I have some Easton elbows that are ok and stay up pretty well. I think the branding has changed but they basically look the same as the current Stealth 75S pads.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

AAB posted:

I need some suggestions for elbow pads. mine are almost wrecked to hell and the velcro barely works and is torn in the webbing part.

I wear a pair of high-end Reebok's that were supposed to be modeled after the old Jofa elbows that owned. I've had them for 4 years or so and are still going great since 2 of the 3 straps are nylon instead of lovely elastic.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All my equipment has been replaced in the past 3 years EXCEPT for my elbow pads, which are like 15 years old. They're the white Jofas, and I'll wear them until they fall completely apart

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Okay, so as a new-to-this guy, it's totally normal to have not liked drat near all of the elbow pads I tried on around here and mostly don't like the garbage bauer elbow pads that I ended up buying... phew.

That crook-of-elbow strap is so goddamn annoying if there's not anything between the pad and my 'bow and none of them ever seem to fight right across the slash guard. Meh, cheap pads, what can ya do. :shrug: On the plus side, these don't ever slip down on me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seconding the reebok jofa clones. They're good.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Is it the 7k / 8k's?

ed: are they even made anymore?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 27, 2015

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
old timey skateboarding elbow pads are pretty fantastic like these kinda. They're lighter and cooler and they never move.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Is it the 7k / 8k's?

ed: are they even made anymore?

The current 16k's or 18k's look like the same design to me.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Duke Chin posted:

Okay, so as a new-to-this guy, it's totally normal to have not liked drat near all of the elbow pads I tried on around here and mostly don't like the garbage bauer elbow pads that I ended up buying... phew.

That crook-of-elbow strap is so goddamn annoying if there's not anything between the pad and my 'bow and none of them ever seem to fight right across the slash guard. Meh, cheap pads, what can ya do. :shrug: On the plus side, these don't ever slip down on me.

When I was looking at pads, the Bauer elbow pads always seemed to pinch my bicep.

I ended up going Reebok 14k for elbows/shoulders, and 16k for shins/pants, and don't have a single complaint. In retrospect I should have gone 16k all around for the extra build quality and somewhat better padding, but not a big deal.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

The current 16k's or 18k's look like the same design to me.

Wonder_Bread posted:

When I was looking at pads, the Bauer elbow pads always seemed to pinch my bicep.

I ended up going Reebok 14k for elbows/shoulders, and 16k for shins/pants, and don't have a single complaint. In retrospect I should have gone 16k all around for the extra build quality and somewhat better padding, but not a big deal.

Oh they totally pinch inside my arms as well if I'm going bare pad-on-arm. If I have an underarmour or whatever long-sleeve shirt under there I don't notice the pinch but... yep... another one of the reasons I don't really like them but I needed pads quick, no one around here carried anything reebok and it was literally the last thing I had to buy and didn't want to spend a whole bunch of :homebrew: on em. Kinda wish I could have tried one of the nicer reeboks on, though.

Alright, making the switch from RW to D tonight for the 2nd game of the season - any tips before we get going? We're going up against the other half of our LTP class that got formed into a team finally so hopefully it won't be as unevenly matched as last game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I always have red pinch marks on my right bicep near the crook of the elbow, and just sometimes on my left. Bauer pads are the correct size, just might be the design.

It's gotten better since I recently tightened them, but it still happens.

Repaired the big rear end skate cut on my pants. With duct tape.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Russian circles are a good way to work up to it. It's easier to crossover on a curve so is good experience for doing it in a straight line.

The motion is fundamentally the same, it's just you don't turn your core into the arc. To me it feels like falling in a line diagonal to your direction of travel and pumping those feet to keep up with it.

I was always told growing up that backwards crossovers in a straight line was inefficient and not as fast as dedicated c cuts. Use crossovers to change lateral positioning. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

e: ^^ You are not wrong. For some reason c-cuts always feel slower, but are definitely faster in a straight line. Backward crossovers definitely look cooler though :colbert:

calandryll posted:

Going to practice my sweet dangles at the beach. A tad pricey if you ask me, but looks like it could be fun at a party.

Hockey cornhole. This is awesome. Now I've got a new summer project.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 27, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Hockey cornhole. This is awesome. Now I've got a new summer project.

Until some drunk rear end in a top hat shows up with a regulation puck and wrists it right through someone's windshield.

"Oops really got a hold of that one. :downs:"

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sellouts posted:

I was always told growing up that backwards crossovers in a straight line was inefficient and not as fast as dedicated c cuts. Use crossovers to change lateral positioning. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

Dangerllama posted:

e: ^^ You are not wrong. For some reason c-cuts always feel slower, but are definitely faster in a straight line. Backward crossovers definitely look cooler though :colbert:
I've never actually measured this myself, but that's what all the power skating coaches tell me.

edit: same for the quick-hop forward acceleration vs. boring old long strides from a V start.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 27, 2015

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Just had our spring playoffs tonight. Other team showed up with 4 guys who I've never seen before and were filthy. I'm in a beginner league, my first competitive hockey was last December, and one of the kids who showed up on the other team was wearing a Penn State hockey helmet and didn't even try to sandbag it. We ended up losing 7-2. I actually thought we played pretty well, but their ringers were just too much. It sucks too because I'm on a team of mostly free agents. Our first game of the season against this team we got smoked 10-2, second game we pulled it together and made it a respectable 4-2 loss, third game we actually ended up beating them 4-3, but then this happens.

It's one thing to lose to a team in a beginner league, but its another to get routed by guy who are so clearly 2 to 3 divisions better than the division you are in. We even tried to talk to the ref about it but he told us its not his job to decide who plays and who doesn't.

:sigh: At least I'm hooked on this whole playing hockey thing, already signed up for summer league!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Jovial Cow posted:

We even tried to talk to the ref about it but he told us its not his job to decide who plays and who doesn't.

Uh, yea it is. In any respectable league the ref can kick a player out that's far beyond the usual sand-bagger. Some leagues have rules that after a set number of games anyone that doesn't have a jersey can't play either, ESPECIALLY the playoffs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Won our first game last night 6-3 :toot: and rather dug playing D - might just stick with it.
(edit: my first point, too. Got an assist and was probably too gassed to notice until I checked stats today :toot:x2)

Hail Hockey

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 28, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Playing D is awesome. Scoring goals is nice, but so is stripping dangling fools of the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Busy hockey weekend starts tomorrow.. game friday, game saturday, clinic sunday morning, playoff game sunday evening.

The real question is whether I go to drop in tonight and add "sleep deprivation" to the list because I never get home before 1am when I go.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Habibi posted:

Playing D is awesome. Scoring goals is nice, but so is stripping dangling fools of the puck.

Then they get all pissy that you stole an easy puck and start hitting the boards with their stick. D is the best.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nitramster posted:

Uh, yea it is. In any respectable league the ref can kick a player out that's far beyond the usual sand-bagger. Some leagues have rules that after a set number of games anyone that doesn't have a jersey can't play either, ESPECIALLY the playoffs.

Usually in my experience it is the score keepers responsibility to make sure the roster checks out. Most refs don't give a poo poo. Both rinks I play at also have a $20 roster check gamble in the playoffs where your team stumps 20 bucks for a roster challenge and if your team wins the other teams player is kicked out and they start on the PK. You lose and you are out the 20. Also players aren't eligible if they haven't played in a min. of 3 regular season games. Seems like a really solid system, but both places are pretty anal about having player profiles and team assignments.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One of my leagues started doing a sign in sheet but it is basically just a piece of paper that you put your name and number on, the scorekeeper then counts heads, looks for inconsistencies and starts the game. Not a very iron clad system as I've seen plenty of ringers and new faces added to teams this season who don't belong in said league and don't play on a regular basis.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My league actually hands out plastic ID cards with the player's name, rated skill level, team, and picture. The team generally ends up not mattering because players move around quite a bit, but the rest is useful. To play in a game every player has to hand in their card to the scorekeeper and by all accounts they actually log everyone that plays.

They also use the cards to track suspensions.. when a player does something lovely a corner of the card gets clipped and when all four corners are cut they get permanently ejected from the league.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

$20 roster check gamble

hahahaha what the gently caress is this

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

My league actually hands out plastic ID cards with the player's name, rated skill level, team, and picture. The team generally ends up not mattering because players move around quite a bit, but the rest is useful. To play in a game every player has to hand in their card to the scorekeeper and by all accounts they actually log everyone that plays.

They also use the cards to track suspensions.. when a player does something lovely a corner of the card gets clipped and when all four corners are cut they get permanently ejected from the league.

Our league just started doing something like this but I'm not sure how it keeps people from using someone else's card since they're not photo IDs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does it list your skills NHL15-style? What's your SPD/POT/OVR ratings?

That's actually a neat idea, but man, with a 4 suspension max, half my league would be banned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Does it list your skills NHL15-style? What's your SPD/POT/OVR ratings?

No, it's just a letter grade but it would be a million times more awesome if it used EA NHL stats.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I remember showing my brother in law his stats on NHL 13 (maybe 14) and he was not impressed.

I think he was only like a 68 or 70 at most. :smith:

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 28, 2015

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bewbies posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress is this

Lotta try hard teams in the E and F divisions who want to win and will try to sneak their C league buddy in. Management got tired of constantly checking rosters so they started charging for failed challenges. Never had it happen to any of my teams, but seen some hilarity because of it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lotta try hard teams in the E and F divisions who want to win and will try to sneak their C league buddy in. Management got tired of constantly checking rosters so they started charging for failed challenges. Never had it happen to any of my teams, but seen some hilarity because of it.

Is the hilarity "it's your loving job to make sure rosters are valid, I'm not paying poo poo"? That would be my reaction.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

I remember showing my brother in law his stats on NHL 13 (maybe 14) and he was not impressed.

I think he was only like a 68 or 70 at most. :smith:

I know you've brought him up before, but I can't remember if you've ever said who he is.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Clay Wilson, currently in the offseason but was most recently playing for Sochi in the KHL.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Game 4 tonight. we lost 16-0 last week to a team that had lost to the first 2 teams we played. They clearly had some ringers as they skated circles around everyone and should be moved up a division after this week. My team was super pissed about it. By the end they kind of backed off to let us skate some with the puck and try to work on thing. At least that's how I took it, in actuality they probably were just trying to let their goalie have something to do.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Cross overs to gain speed and position. C cuts are to maintain speed once you're moving.

If you cross over when playing a guy 1 on 1 then he's going to turn you inside out once your hips turn, the key is to keep your hips and shoulders square up ice so you can move or defend left and right equally.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's a football score not a hockey score, Jesus.

Got my green pants in today. Just in time for pickup tonight. Trying to decide if I should be that douche in green socks, pants and jersey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I looked up the stats from one of the ringers in my league from last season.

PLAYER
Cliff W 63 Goals 22 Assists 85 Points

10 game season. 3 single elimination playoff games. Found a video clip of his hardest shot competition win with 78 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

calandryll posted:

Got my green pants in today. Just in time for pickup tonight. Trying to decide if I should be that douche in green socks, pants and jersey.

The secret mission of every player is to look like they collected all their gear out of a garbage dumpster.

So wear the green pants, but the jersey needs to be a budget practice jersey, inside out with a logo so faded you can't read it, mismatched socks, and giant holes. Gloves with literally no palms anymore is a bonus so when someone on the bench whines they have a hole you can show off how lovely your gloves are.

Don't forget the mirrored visor!