Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Speaking of starting timers for gated content, if you haven't already, you should go to Adoulin and start collecting imprimaturs. I don't know if they've lowered the requirements, but you used to have to have used a fairly large amount of them to progress in the Adoulin missions, which are required for unlocking many exping areas in Adoulin.

As for where to go after 70 that doesn't rely on killing mobs 20 levels below you, I'd like to know, too. Since that is a slow spot for me as well. In the old days I did Abyssea, now I have no idea what is a viable exping spot outside of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, many of the JP midnight waits were changed to game day waits or 1 minute waits, and many of the game day waits were changed to 1 minute waits. Throw in a re-zone here and there.

Point being, just because old wikis and information say you need to wait for a game day, JP midnight, or even a conquest tally for something... it doesn't hurt to double-check and see if you can do it right away anyway.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Boten Anna posted:

In general I'll probably start working on Zilart missions and AF quests and such but getting to 99 for the first time also seems like a good focus, where are some good places to go to xp at level 70 and beyond?

At 70 you can probably kill regular Colibri for a bit still. Then once you're 72-73 or something, go kill Greater Colibri You can kill those a couple of levels into 80. At this point I went to Ranguemont Pass and killed bats near the zoneline to Beaucedine Glacier. There's a ground tome in there and one of the thingies has you killing 5 bats and 2 Ahrimans. The Ahrimans are a bit tougher than the bats despite being the same level, due to lovely -ga spells and crap. Try one out and if you die horribly, stick to bats. Once you're closing on 90, you can head to Fei'Yin (entrance in northeastern part of Beaucedine Glacier) and on the first floor, in the eastern section, the 4 small rooms there are chock full of bats. And they don't link. Kill those to 94-95 or something, then head to Adoulin, get Ionis, and kill poo poo just outside town to 99.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Roflan posted:

Speaking of starting timers for gated content, if you haven't already, you should go to Adoulin and start collecting imprimaturs. I don't know if they've lowered the requirements, but you used to have to have used a fairly large amount of them to progress in the Adoulin missions, which are required for unlocking many exping areas in Adoulin.

As for where to go after 70 that doesn't rely on killing mobs 20 levels below you, I'd like to know, too. Since that is a slow spot for me as well. In the old days I did Abyssea, now I have no idea what is a viable exping spot outside of it.

I saw people shouting for Abyssea worm parties last night, so that's still a thing if you want to do that I guess?

At least as far as 90-99 I did the Wadi, but it's a small zone that's easy to get overcamped. Not sure what level you could start killing things outside Adoulin, but the spawn rate seems higher and the zone's much bigger.

EDIT: Beat, good to know since I have some other 90-ish jobs to cap.

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 26, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
There's some Bird types right next to the zone line to Meadows in Misareaux that are pretty good for high 70s-ish.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
You can go to Zehrun Mines in Bastok. They've added level 75-78 monsters there. After I got bored of that place, I went to Ordelle's and leveled off of hares and beetles until before 90. Then I switched between Dangruf Wadi and Torami Canal to get the RA/EX items. But you can really go to a lot of different places in the 90's.

Or you could go leach in Escha with the Rhapsody and ring bonuses. I think I saw a screenshot of someone getting 20,000 exp on a kill. I may have been drinking.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks everyone, those are some good levelling spots, and some of them are in places I heard about but have only been to briefly so it will be fun to finally get to experience them in some capacity.

From there my only other big concern is gearing. I was told that the AF and upgrades combined with a spark weapon, along with whatever garbage I find in chests, is the way to go, but is there anything else I might want to look toward, either on the way or fresh at cap?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Thanks everyone, those are some good levelling spots, and some of them are in places I heard about but have only been to briefly so it will be fun to finally get to experience them in some capacity.

From there my only other big concern is gearing. I was told that the AF and upgrades combined with a spark weapon, along with whatever garbage I find in chests, is the way to go, but is there anything else I might want to look toward, either on the way or fresh at cap?

You'll always want the latest weapon that you can buy with sparks.

Wear nation armors until AF. AF will last you until 75. Then you'd buy the Abyssea (perle, teal, pink set) 75 set or get someone to buy it for you. Ride that until level 99 and get the level 99 sparks armor. Afterwards you can try for coalition sets, Yorcia Alluvion sets, or reforge AF/relic/Empy armor.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kieyen posted:

You'll always want the latest weapon that you can buy with sparks.

Wear nation armors until AF. AF will last you until 75. Then you'd buy the Abyssea (perle, teal, pink set) 75 set or get someone to buy it for you. Ride that until level 99 and get the level 99 sparks armor. Afterwards you can try for coalition sets, Yorcia Alluvion sets, or reforge AF/relic/Empy armor.

Abyssea cruor(perle/teal/aurone) armor is level 78.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Are there any cool pet groups that do stuff on Asura? Kind of interested in doing BST stuff with all the cool buffs they got.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

LiquidFriend posted:

Are there any cool pet groups that do stuff on Asura? Kind of interested in doing BST stuff with all the cool buffs they got.

It's me, I'm the cool pet group. Let's touching Aymurs ok

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i'm a budding PUP that wants to do cool pet groups, just hit level 53

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

It's me, I'm the cool pet group. Let's touching Aymurs ok

Sounds sexy, but only at the tips.

I do have the urge to make an Aymur.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Sounds sexy, but only at the tips.

I do have the urge to make an Aymur.

What, so you can spend my money and quit like a bitch again? You two-timing whore.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I know I was pretty unwise to make PUP my first job, but I'm having a hell of a time getting any of the parts necessary to make my artifact armor and automaton upgrades. Stuff like "Rainbow Thread," "Marid Leather," "Bronze Sheet," and "Platinum Sheet" are totally missing from the AH, but seem to only drop from things significantly above my current level cap. Should I not worry about it and keep grinding til I am high enough level, or should I switch to a different class for leveling the first time? I love the arcane strangeness of the PUP class a lot, so I'm a bit hesitant to drop it completely.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That depends heavily on server economy. My main is on Quetz and the crafted item supply on the AH there is basically nonexistent, but I recently rolled an alt on Asura (aka where most of the English speaking population has converged) and it actually has reasonable poo poo on the AH.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Vil posted:

That depends heavily on server economy. My main is on Quetz and the crafted item supply on the AH there is basically nonexistent, but I recently rolled an alt on Asura (aka where most of the English speaking population has converged) and it actually has reasonable poo poo on the AH.

Welp, I'm on Asura now, so that might not be the best sign. I should probably start checking out every single bazaar for the time being. Unlocking GEO, BLU and SCH in case I need to fall back on something.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Welp, I'm on Asura now, so that might not be the best sign. I should probably start checking out every single bazaar for the time being. Unlocking GEO, BLU and SCH in case I need to fall back on something.

Ffxiah.com usually has a list of bazaars, do that might save you some time.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I finally got around to unlocking BLU last night right before my XIV raid, and got it to 31 on breaks and afterwards. I can't really find much information on acquiring blue magic in the post-trust-and-quadruple-digit-xp-on-DC-mobs era. What spells are must-haves? Do I have to worry about overlevelling whatever I'm killing to learn the ability? Are there any tricks to getting monsters to build TP quickly or anything like that? I've gotten a grand total of 0 Blue Magic spells so far :v:

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Boten Anna posted:

I finally got around to unlocking BLU last night right before my XIV raid, and got it to 31 on breaks and afterwards. I can't really find much information on acquiring blue magic in the post-trust-and-quadruple-digit-xp-on-DC-mobs era. What spells are must-haves? Do I have to worry about overlevelling whatever I'm killing to learn the ability? Are there any tricks to getting monsters to build TP quickly or anything like that? I've gotten a grand total of 0 Blue Magic spells so far :v:

You can obtain every spell at 99 if you want, for low lvl mobs you turn your back on mobs and let them gain TP. Get them below 25% health without killing them, with a 1 dmg dagger for instance, so they spam TP moves more (below 25% they initiate a move as soon as they hit 100% TP, otherwise it's random I believe. After they've done the obtainable TP move, kill em asap.

Bare in mind that I haven't played BLU in a year, currently redownloading to get back into vana'diel! Also, I'm on Asura and I'd like a pearl to join GetOut. My Galka is poo poo.

Astaldo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 28, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Astaldo posted:

You can obtain every spell at 99 if you want, for low lvl mobs you turn your back on mobs and let them gain TP. Get them below 25% health without killing them, with a 1 dmg dagger for instance, so they spam TP moves more (below 25% they initiate a move as soon as they hit 100% TP, otherwise it's random I believe. After they've done the obtainable TP move, kill em asap.

Bare in mind that I haven't played BLU in a year, currently redownloading to get back into vana'diel! Also, I'm on Asura and I'd like a pearl to join GetOut. My Galka is poo poo.

To get a pearl it would be helpful if you actually gave us your character's name. Blu, bst, thf, dnc, smn, pup, are really powerful. Blu can aoe nuke things and max out their cp faster than they should be able to. Bst, smn, and pup just recently got very powerful additions to their repertoire. I am not 100% sure how good pup got, but I know that smn and bst are going to be great soloers when all the servers get the low low population.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

You're gonna have a hard time learning blue magic with 0 blue magic skill.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I know I was pretty unwise to make PUP my first job, but I'm having a hell of a time getting any of the parts necessary to make my artifact armor and automaton upgrades. Stuff like "Rainbow Thread," "Marid Leather," "Bronze Sheet," and "Platinum Sheet" are totally missing from the AH, but seem to only drop from things significantly above my current level cap. Should I not worry about it and keep grinding til I am high enough level, or should I switch to a different class for leveling the first time? I love the arcane strangeness of the PUP class a lot, so I'm a bit hesitant to drop it completely.
Bronze Sheet can be bought from the guild shop I think? Either way, its not a high craft level and can be made real easy. Just shout for a crafter to help with the rest.

frodnonnag posted:

What, so you can spend my money and quit like a bitch again? You two-timing whore.
You know you loved every moment of it and would do the whole thing allover again if you had the chance.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

For further clarification, your chance to learn blue magic spells depends on both your level and your blue magic skill. BLU AF1 gloves give a bonus to learning, as well.

Level your blue magic skill. Cast Foot Kick and Power Attack on everything.

Get every spell. There are typically high level versions of monsters that you can get the lower level spells from, so don't worry about outlevelling much.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 28, 2015

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

It will also come down to luck. Just because your skill is high enough and you're wearing AF1 gloves doesn't mean you will learn the spell.

I always went BLU/RDM and chopped the mob down to around 20% HP. From there would toss on -DT gear, turned my back and just spammed dia on the mob until it did the TP move I needed.

From there, it was about a 50/50 chance I said gently caress this because I didn't learn it and pulled the next one.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Got pearl, and yeah I forgot to mention blue magic skill and AF hands. Got BST BLU and DNC so yay me I guess if they got buffed. Back to the geargrind!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

You know you loved every moment of it and would do the whole thing allover again if you had the chance.

Yeah but i wont get the parts that were truely enjoying, like the days and weeks of your incessant bitching while stuck in a hole in mamook. Or your bitching because of the low damage cap (750 damage!) Of burtgang during your magian weapon trials.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Blue Magic Hunting Grounds. A decent bible for 98% of spells.

Prothescar's Blue Mage Guide. The best BLU repository of knowledge until he pastes a new thread about it on BG.

If you rushed BLU to 99 and absolutely have to use it for Adoulin content NOW, get these spells first:

Quadratic Continuum
Delta Thrust
Barbed Crescent
Empty Thrash
Heavy Strike
Thrashing Assault
Sudden Lunge

Nature's Meditation
Erratic Flutter
Battery Charge
Winds of Promyvion

Molting Plumage
Blazing Bound
Fantod

This gives Dual Wield III, Triple Attack +5%, Store TP +10, Auto-refresh, and includes spells that give Refresh, Attack +20%, and Haste II. Requiescat into Chain Affinity Quad C. gives Darkness, Savage Blade into Chain Affinity Thrashing assault gives Light. You will be only physical-based but you can fake Skirmish, WKRs, and some delves like that.

That being said, learn every spell, BLU is also stupid good with magic when built around it. Subduction is a sickeningly great spell. Occultation gives you ridiculous amounts of shadows, gently caress /NIN. Debuff the poo poo out of things with Bilgestorm. Shoot lasers with Rail Cannon. Stunlock the poo poo out of everything with Sudden Lunge. Magic Hammer your MP back. In exchange for your soul you'll be the most baller job in the game.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Yeah but i wont get the parts that were truely enjoying, like the days and weeks of your incessant bitching while stuck in a hole in mamook. Or your bitching because of the low damage cap (750 damage!) Of burtgang during your magian weapon trials.

Seriously, gently caress Gulool Ja Ja. The other part came down to running a farm bot and going to work. :shobon:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
A fellow XIV goon and myself decided to give this a shot during the downtime until the XIV expansion and I have to say I'm (largely) having a lot of fun, Its been a blast revisiting old content with modern quality of life changes. Problem is we decided to go blue mage and dancer, and guess what, we're around level 50 and I have no idea what we're going to do about AF mats :suicide: A friend of mine gave me half of his money to start out with and while I tried to use it as judiciously as possible, I didn't realize how steep this AF is now considering all the content is irrelevant. Which really sucks considering things have been going swimmingly so far.

I finished up my scimitar quest on BLU (which was a nightmare) and immediately realized that there was no goddamn way I could afford even a single piece. To be fair though, I'm extremely impressed I managed to get 5 ranks in and level 54 before I realized that FFXI still hates me and everything I believe in. Still, we're going to try to mash our faces through and get to a level where we can actually make some money, or at least get the mats for someone to craft them for us. We don't have a linkshell yet, but my In-game name is Sugilite and his is Diaspore, and we'd appreciate pearls if anyone can hand them out to us.

Basically, to anyone starting anew like me, avoid Blue mage. It is the path of suffering.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ah I somehow missed that Blue Magic skill is important for learning too, that's suuuper important, thank you. Also the hunting grounds link especially is what I was looking for but couldn't find, so again, thanks for that!

I'm continually overflowing with sparks so I see a bright future of mashing through piles of Life-form study books too :toot:

e:

Filthy Haiku posted:

A fellow XIV goon and myself decided to give this a shot during the downtime until the XIV expansion and I have to say I'm (largely) having a lot of fun, Its been a blast revisiting old content with modern quality of life changes. Problem is we decided to go blue mage and dancer, and guess what, we're around level 50 and I have no idea what we're going to do about AF mats :suicide: A friend of mine gave me half of his money to start out with and while I tried to use it as judiciously as possible, I didn't realize how steep this AF is now considering all the content is irrelevant. Which really sucks considering things have been going swimmingly so far.

I finished up my scimitar quest on BLU (which was a nightmare) and immediately realized that there was no goddamn way I could afford even a single piece. To be fair though, I'm extremely impressed I managed to get 5 ranks in and level 54 before I realized that FFXI still hates me and everything I believe in. Still, we're going to try to mash our faces through and get to a level where we can actually make some money, or at least get the mats for someone to craft them for us. We don't have a linkshell yet, but my In-game name is Sugilite and his is Diaspore, and we'd appreciate pearls if anyone can hand them out to us.

Basically, to anyone starting anew like me, avoid Blue mage. It is the path of suffering.

You also have the option of blowing past AF entirely for now and just levelling past it with sparks gear. Not that I did that or anything :v: That said, aren't they quests generally to go hunt down coffers and such? :confused: It's been a while since I've done any AF quests and I don't remember it being pricey.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 28, 2015

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Boten Anna posted:

You also have the option of blowing past AF entirely for now and just levelling past it with sparks gear. Not that I did that or anything :v: That said, aren't they quests generally to go hunt down coffers and such? :confused: It's been a while since I've done any AF quests and I don't remember it being pricey.

Some of the post CoP jobs like DNC have different things where you have to trade crafted materials to a guy to get your pieces. The coffer quests are super easy now though, since the curio moogle sells keys.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also for gil, many of the sub-99 sparks items convert to gil at an NPC vendor with an approximately 1 spark to 10 gil ratio. Do poo poo to get sparks, turn sparks into cash, buy poo poo. I think the very best deal is Acheron Shield on the third page of 71-98 gear, but don't hold me to that.

When you're 99 you can gently caress around in Adoulin and get various weird items that spawn poo poo etc. and those will AH for a bunch of money.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
The bigger problem is pretty much just that nobody makes things like imperial silk or platinum plates anymore, but the money tips are actually really appreciated; mostly because I'll have sparks to burn. Getting 50-75 in crow gear with no accessories might be rough though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eh, four trusts (you have done rhapsodies to unlock the fourth, yes?) can carry you passably enough even if your personal contribution to killing things is laughable.

As for the materials on the auction house, a. check back on weekends, b. check ffxiah.com's bazaar listings, c. try shouting.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

Some of the post CoP jobs like DNC have different things where you have to trade crafted materials to a guy to get your pieces. The coffer quests are super easy now though, since the curio moogle sells keys.

Oh geez I just looked up BLU and yeah this looks horrible. Also apparently they didn't remove like any of the jp midnight waits in there (I'd assume the wiki is lying but someone was complaining about it in /l the other day). The gloves alone are like 300k worth of poo poo, some with sporadic availability.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Many of the JP midnight waits were turned into game day waits.

Many of the game day waits were turned into 1 minute waits.

Things that required rezoning still require rezoning.

Point being, take things with some salt. I don't know for sure about BLU quests or anything else in particular, but it's entirely possible that someone tried it without rezoning and/or on the same game day, didn't succeed, and blithely concluded that it was still a full JP midnight wait.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

Vil posted:

Many of the JP midnight waits were turned into game day waits.

Many of the game day waits were turned into 1 minute waits.

Things that required rezoning still require rezoning.

Point being, take things with some salt. I don't know for sure about BLU quests or anything else in particular, but it's entirely possible that someone tried it without rezoning and/or on the same game day, didn't succeed, and blithely concluded that it was still a full JP midnight wait.

Actually, having just finished my scimitar quest I can confirm that it is not 1 game day, rather actually still somehow jp midnight.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Of the things that are still JP midnight waits, ToAU AF quests are still among them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

These quests were certainly not designed for the game to be like how it is now wherein it is like any other offline Final Fantasy where you can just level a bunch in dungeons/fields on your way to whatever objective you're on, that's for sure. Even without jp midnight waits, there's so much running around and money to raise and out of stock items to dig up it seems like there may as well be. Also if I end up below level 80 by the time I finish just that first part where you run to all the staging areas alone I'll be shocked.

But unlike FFXI of olde at least I have some hope I can do it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
All things considered, I think BLU might just be the perfect storm of beginner unfriendly class poo poo. Blue magic itself isn't too terrible, but between the subs required (the scrolls) and the quests and prerequisites, it probably something you'd want to save until you have a capped job. For now, I'm considering finishing rhapsodies, doing a few more LBs and then switching to something a little less of an ordeal to level to pair with my friend's dancer.

Edit: Is there any way to search by linkshell to see if there's anyone with a pearl running around?

Doubleedit: Is DRG comedy tier again? I remember some pretty significant buffs before I quit at the start of WoTG, but I've been told they're currently in the "shunned from group play" class by a friend

Filthy Haiku fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 29, 2015