Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

SineRider posted:

Decided to treat my eurorack with a Qu-bit Nano Rand. Module is pretty great so far!

Sweet I just got one myself a couple weeks ago. Is the knob on yours a little off kilter? Mine is, but everything seems to work fine.

edit: also the best part about the nano rand is that it came with a cool rainbow ribbon cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

I figured out how I can re-arrange my desk to make room for a 61-key synth or keyboard controller. Now I don't know what to get.

[*]I like the Roland A-800Pro because it has aftertouch and exactly enough assignable controls for me. I will probably like the key feel too. But it is JUST a keyboard controller.

What's a good 61-key synth-as-controller? Could be an older model. I just want good feeling keys, at least 4 freely mappable buttons, and no mandatory software that sucks.

Which is exactly why I love it. I also have a Novation SL MkII and I hate it for the terrible software (and terrible build quality but uh), which is why I bought the A-PRO in the first place. It does its job, and only its job, and it does it well.
Still, from the other alternatives I can say that I've been drooling over the Nektar controllers for a while. If there is any company that is doing DAW integration right, it's these guys.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Your Computer posted:

Which is exactly why I love it. I also have a Novation SL MkII and I hate it for the terrible software (and terrible build quality but uh), which is why I bought the A-PRO in the first place. It does its job, and only its job, and it does it well.
Still, from the other alternatives I can say that I've been drooling over the Nektar controllers for a while. If there is any company that is doing DAW integration right, it's these guys.
I'm probably still going to end up with the A-800PRO. I was thinking it would be nice to have something that at least made SOME sound so I could just sit at my desk and work out a tune or chord sequence without waiting 2 minutes to fire up Cubase and create a new project, add an instrument track, etc. I also would kind of like to have wheels for pitch and mod, although I can live with the Roland stick.

Just noticed the Roland RD-64, which is like a 64-key version of my current controller (A-49) with a digital piano built in. If it just had aftertouch and a few more assignable buttons, this would almost be perfect for me.

Maybe I should just set up a shortcut to a plugin host on my desktop for those moments where I just want to play on the keyboard without going through all the DAW hassle.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How about that Beatstep Pro eh? Maybe we'll get it before end of Summer! :smith:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think it's supposed to be out around the same time as overbridge.

Is the sequencer supposed to be able to do ratcheting btw?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What do yall do for arranging gear?

I have 2 rows of stuff on a desk at the moment: in the back there's a pair of small speakers, a 48-key midi controller, and a mic interface, and in the front there's an A4 and a laptop. I use the same desk to compute so things frequently need to get moved around to fit a mouse+keyboard, and the setup isn't especially comfortable to use for long periods either.

I've been thinking of building a really basic 2-level Gibraltar rack, something like this except modified to have electronic mounts on both levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc

For:
- Wouldn't take up a ton of room vs eg an A-frame rack
- With the design I'd use, everything would be height adjustable and gear could be easily reshuffled
- In the event of More Gear, rack could be expanded later with additional pieces

Against:
- The easy disassembly and glitterball chrome are a bit overkill for something I'd just be using at home
- :homebrew:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Mr. Sharps posted:

Sweet I just got one myself a couple weeks ago. Is the knob on yours a little off kilter? Mine is, but everything seems to work fine.

edit: also the best part about the nano rand is that it came with a cool rainbow ribbon cable.

The knob seems to be fine on mine I think. I'd have to give it a closer look. drat I guess the rainbow ribbon cable was limited because mine is just normal :(

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

What do yall do for arranging gear?

I have 2 rows of stuff on a desk at the moment: in the back there's a pair of small speakers, a 48-key midi controller, and a mic interface, and in the front there's an A4 and a laptop. I use the same desk to compute so things frequently need to get moved around to fit a mouse+keyboard, and the setup isn't especially comfortable to use for long periods either.

I've been thinking of building a really basic 2-level Gibraltar rack, something like this except modified to have electronic mounts on both levels:

I built a three-tier rack out of cheap-rear end lumber. Total cost of materials was about €30:

If I had to do it again I'd use deck screws and angle brackets instead of nuts and bolts because it's a bit wobbly on account of the bolt holes having a bit of play, and because drilling all those holes without a drill press is a bitch.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
The Nano Rand sounds pretty awesome when quantized. Here it is in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSJ90vYmWD0

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Yall know of a program similar to the akaizer that can run inside of a DAW? I've been using the akaizer so much but it's just so tedious and the programmer has no intention of making it into a plug-in :/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yall know of a program similar to the akaizer that can run inside of a DAW? I've been using the akaizer so much but it's just so tedious and the programmer has no intention of making it into a plug-in :/

You can do that with the "beats" mode in Live, but if you're not using Live, I don't know :)

edit: perhaps a grain effect would be worth a try?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

tried summoning satan last night but ran out of patch cables before i could get it to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzTBKE9HHug

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
my nigga have you tried LSD

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reminding you human cumdumps that the deadline for the current synthgoon challenge will be on you before you know and that you need to not put things off until the last moment like you always do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718060

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So does anyone have any experience with Verbos or Sputnik modular? :retrogames:

Most modular systems I've looked at and actually liked have been way out of my budget but the composition system actually sounds really great while leaving enough space for an FS-1, English Tear, and either a West Coast Random or maybe a Rene or Pressure Points or something.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

So does anyone have any experience with Verbos or Sputnik modular? :retrogames:

Most modular systems I've looked at and actually liked have been way out of my budget but the composition system actually sounds really great while leaving enough space for an FS-1, English Tear, and either a West Coast Random or maybe a Rene or Pressure Points or something.

idk, half the fun of modular (imo) is mixing and matching while watching your money evaporate. you've got some empty spaces in that system though so you've got room to grow, and that case looks rad

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a U.S. Distributor for the Tinysizer apart from Analogue Haven? Their markup is a good $500 on what's currently a $1400 product. It'd be cheaper to order direct from Germany and have the guy UPS it.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
if you aren't concerned with polyphony, I just figured out that you can make a JX-3P use two voices for one note, but it cuts down to 3 note polyphony. Turn it on with the MIDI IN going to the MIDI Out and put the switch on the Thru selection. You can confirm this by holding button six while powering up. It will display which voice is in use 11-16. When you do what I did before, two buttons light up instead of just one. I was really worried a voice died so I looked into it and I'm glad it's just this little secret.

oh, you get a new bank of patches for C & D if you are holding 6 (at least) while turning it on. You didn't just erase your patches, they are back if you turn it on normally.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 30, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
An excellent MIDI tip for page 127.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
i miss my jx3p cum kiwi3p. it's still in the shop getting a noisey chorus issue fixed

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
How much do they charge for that fix (and where) I kinda like the noise, but it would be kinda nice to have it clean. Did they give any explanation on what they are doing to fix it?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think I pay $50 an hour for labor but the guy who's working on it is the same one who installed the mod in the first place so it might be a different story price wise. He's still not even sure what the cause of the chorus issue is (I'm also getting low volume on the audio outputs) but I put him in touch with the guy from Kiwitechnics and hopefully they can work it out. The tech is some guy who works out of the top floor of an auto garage and just happened to be around the corner from me. He does good work and mostly repairs amps, guitars, and sound equipment but his shop is littered with keyboards and MPCs and other assorted equipment, it's a little crazy.

The noisy chorus is one of my favorite things about the JX3p and I was disappointed when I got my Kiwi3p back and had the issue (chorus boosts the volume way too much and I get a lot of distortion). When I sent Kiwitechnics a few sound demos they agreed that something abnormal was happening so we'll see what happens. The chrous mod is an optional part of the whole upgrade anyway so maybe removing it will be the ultimate fix.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Overbridge beta is up. If you've got an A4/AK/Rytm and use a computer go sign up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
RYTM isn't supported yet, AU isn't supported yet and the site is hammered so welp.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

RYTM isn't supported yet, AU isn't supported yet and the site is hammered so welp.

Here's the static directory for the files.
I basically only care about the librarian aspect and that's not even slated until the 1.1 release projected in the fall. :arghfist:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You've probably all heard by now but the MS-20 mini got a price drop down to $449 in the US.

What a goddamned steal. I mean even if you totally ignore the fact that it's, you know, a synth, you get all sorts of fun poo poo to throw at modular gear. Envelope, LFO, track & hold, the signal processor, filters...

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I was thinking of getting an Octatrack at some point but it looks like Elektron haven't done any work on it for quite a while. Looks like it isn't getting Overbridge support either?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nope, just the analog gear for whatever reason.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
We don't get Overbridge, but someone made a program called OctaEdit: http://octaedit.com/features/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The second everyone who was holding out buying an Octatrack has bought one they'll release one with analog filters called Oasis (Get it, o8sis? Also mirage lol) that taps the fx sends for USB audio functionality like the A4/Rytm does.
They'll do a MkIII MnM/MD and backport the new sequencer too.
Free rulltårta in every box!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Startyde posted:

The second everyone who was holding out buying an Octatrack has bought one they'll release one with analog filters called Oasis (Get it, o8sis? Also mirage lol) that taps the fx sends for USB audio functionality like the A4/Rytm does.

I'm holding out for some sort of mk2 Octatrack. I had the first one for a few months and it had enough frustrating problems that it had to go. I frequently want to buy another one.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Startyde posted:

Hopefully they'll also toss in some fish-in-a-tube :sweden:

Yeah I'll probably hold out as well. I already just got an A4 recently which I could definitely stand to learn more in the meantime.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 2, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just can't fuckin' believe they released a device that uses Compact Flash in TYOOL 2011.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been figuring out and planning my eurorack and I think i've got it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/181557

It's a makenoise shared system (getting the one with CV bus - http://www.makenoisemusic.com/sharedsystem_cvbus.html , but modulargrid doesn't show it) and moving some things around to fit an MI elements in there too. I've been told a VCA would be helpful too - anyone know of a 4hp one i can fit into the bottom rails? the intellijels are all 6.
Would I have any issues with moving things around this way?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 2, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been figuring out and planning my eurorack and I think i've got it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/181557

It's a makenoise shared system (getting the one with CV bus - http://www.makenoisemusic.com/sharedsystem_cvbus.html , but modulargrid doesn't show it) and moving some things around to fit an MI elements in there too. I've been told a VCA would be helpful too - anyone know of a 4hp one i can fit into the bottom rails? the intellijels are all 6.

i'm pretty sure the optomix functions as a VCA. if you want more doepfer makes a 4hp vca: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-132-1
or you can get this synthrotek, which lets you change the response curve: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/synthrotek-vca

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

I just can't fuckin' believe they released a device that uses Compact Flash in TYOOL 2011.

Until last year one of the most expensive digital field recorders for film & poo poo only had a compact flash version available. Nothing like paying $8k on something that uses CF.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Does CF give better IOPS or latency than SD nowadays? Trying to think of a reason

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Does CF give better IOPS or latency than SD nowadays? Trying to think of a reason

i think it's even stupider: SD requires a license to implement/use the branding etc. CF, if memory serves, does not.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
No one wants super deformed storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

cubicle gangster posted:

The ModDemix and Optomix can both handle VCA duties. More VCAs would be nice, but I'd probably focus elsewhere initially.

It's probably wisest to leave the 4hp open until you've had a chance to play around with the rest of the system to figure out what seems to be "missing" for you. That said, the Disting uses 4hp and is extremely versatile. It tends to sell out extremely quickly and you might want to confirm that the Shared System PSU has enough juice left over for it though.

With 4hp to spare, it might also be worth considering Brains to give more functionality to the Pressure Points, or a Pip Slope as another flexible function generator. I feel like it's hard to have too many modulation sources, particularly when they're modulatable modulation sources.