Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Belzac posted:

No, 6 months ago DRG was extremely frustrating to play because if you missed your positional on Impulse Drive you couldn't combo.

God, I remember old CT2 runs where if a DPS pulled or there was a tank fight. I wouldn't even bother with trying to get a Chaos Thrust or Heavy Thrust because I would miss the positional every loving time from the boss spinning until the aggro tables got settled in. I wouldn't blame anyone bailing on DRG back then, I did until that poo poo got patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Man after finishing this game I really want to know what some of these guys were thinking when they doublecrossed the MC.

"Oh he just killed a few god like things, I am sure this won't end badly"
Though I am not sure why my monk surrendered to a potato and a couple of guards.

That's what I thought. There's no way they have enough guards in this entire city for someone who KILLS GOD on a daily basis. The MC has never been known to show mercy or leave survivors.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 29, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fat_Cow posted:

Man after finishing this game I really want to know what some of these guys were thinking when they doublecrossed the MC.

Though I am not sure why my monk surrendered to a potato and a couple of guards.

The MC got bored during the long cutscenes and started mining internally, so you weren't actually paying any attention to what you were doing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"Man rendolent logs are coming up real qui-wait, who died?"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Grimace posted:

chiming in to say that the rogue quest is my favorite class quest in part because the text was so fun to read. it's even better when I read it outloud. :allears:

Jacke is pretty awesome.

I did like the end of the rogue questline, I thought it was very lighthearted and fun. Very pirates of the carribbeany (the first one, not the boring ones)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fat_Cow posted:

I think the main misstep was who finds you. Like if it was Swift(Flame Commander dude) and he either kinda suspected you or was like "Dude poo poo is going down we have to escape" it would've made some sense. Having the pc get confronted by the main villain who we'd like to murder and surrendering without some sorta gameplay to show why you are is just frustrating. But if it was an ally...more understandable. Not like your character needed to be in the dining hall. :shrug:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did like the end of the rogue questline, I thought it was very lighthearted and fun. Very pirates of the carribbeany (the first one, not the boring ones)

Probably not unrelated is the fact that when Jacke joins you in the quest fights, his combat model is named Captain Jacke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We've touched on this before and there's reason in game that you were caught dead to rights and stuck: mechanically speaking, weapon damage is everything. Even level 50 with a level 1 weapon will struggle and you have no weapon at all while you're in with the sultana. Second, you're the hero and killing dozens of cops is probably not a good idea even if you did have a weapon.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
"I'm innocent, ignore the 15 guards and member of the Syndicate I killed" doesn't really work out well when testifying your innocence.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not going to bother spoiler tagging so if anyone is avoiding 2.55 spoilers, probably avoid this post.

Fat_Cow posted:

To give them some credit, yes you are Captain McAwesome Godprimalslayer, but how things play out isn't exactly unrealistic or even inconsistent with the lore or mechanics. You can't teleport away, you're in combat, and besides aren't there some kind of magical forensics that can tell where you teleported to? Sneaking out and taking the long, windy, and way less traceable path to Coerthas was probably a good call. Additionally, slaughtering an entire town's defenses and citizens would be a pretty quick way to turn everyone's adoration for you into hatred. Politically and morally, it'd be a terrible move.

I'd also argue that the double-crossing wasn't undertaken without quite a bit of consideration. We don't even know the entire plot yet; it seems like even Ascians are involved somehow. They did a LOT of sneaking around and underhanded conspiracy poo poo, as well as played politics in a way to force you (the MC) to just let them do what they will or face huge political and personal disaster.

For the low-grade pop "art" that FFXIV's plot is, its verisimilitude ain't bad. We can all thank Koji for that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Also you wouldn't be able to go back to uldah like you can now if you murdered them all. Currently the explanation that we can visit uldah is that the dude hasn't made her death public and the common folk think you're a hero and don't belive any of the lies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Holyshoot posted:

Also you wouldn't be able to go back to uldah like you can now if you murdered them all. Currently the explanation that we can visit uldah is that the dude hasn't made her death public and the common folk think you're a hero and don't belive any of the lies.

This. It's critical to realize that the MC escaping with his or her hands clean severely monkey wrenched the Syndicate propaganda machine. It's why Lolorito was not pleased at the end. A dumb gently caress like Teledji (if he was still alive) might have called it a win but Lolorito is smart enough to know that they won the battle but endangered the war.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
as opposed to if you knifed your way out they'd have a big pile of bodies with the sultana's on top and yelling "the warrior of light is a friggin psycho"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Holyshoot posted:

and the common folk think you're a hero and don't belive any of the lies.

The MC is Captain Basch!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Oblivious posted:

This. It's critical to realize that the MC escaping with his or her hands clean severely monkey wrenched the Syndicate propaganda machine. It's why Lolorito was not pleased at the end. A dumb gently caress like Teledji (if he was still alive) might have called it a win but Lolorito is smart enough to know that they won the battle but endangered the war.

That scene with Teledji getting ripped in half is probably my favorite moment of this entire story. The whole time these scenes were happening, I started to get really bummed because I though "gently caress man, I know Omega won't be happening to the expansion, so I have to wait to murder this dude." So when he got bisected, I was quite pleased.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

sword_man.gif posted:

as opposed to if you knifed your way out they'd have a big pile of bodies with the sultana's on top and yelling "the warrior of light is a friggin psycho"

The real solution is to knife your way out and keep knifing until there's no one left to knife. That way the Warrior of Light is a mute, bloodthirsty psychopath, but the Monetarists and Brass Blades don't say much about it. :ese:

Really, that's how I envision my character anyway. "Hey pal, go waltz into the Castrum and fulfill this arbitrary objective. Eorzea is depending on you!"
*nod* (yeah sure okay I'll do anything if it means morally justifiable slaughter)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

Wouldn't the common folk be just as happy if you wasted almost everybody in the room? "The syndicate killed your beloved Sultana, so I murdered the poo poo out of all of them" would seem like it would be well received.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I realize it's old hat for most but :hellyeah:

Not much left to go.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

Wouldn't the common folk be just as happy if you wasted almost everybody in the room? "The syndicate killed your beloved Sultana, so I murdered the poo poo out of all of them" would seem like it would be well received.

"The Warrior of Light is a catte of few words, but on her behalf, let me just say that the thousands who died in and around the palace grounds tonight were probably pretty much asking for it."

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Iron Tusk posted:

It's much easier to get people to believe you're innocent if you haven't just killed dozens of police officers.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
passerby were amazed by the unusual quantities of blood

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

"That dude who stands in the housing district 23 hours a day? Sure whatever, Pal." :jerkbag:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The sequence never really bothered me (I suppose I am used to JRPG moments where the player is railroaded despite having the means to resist). Still, it would have worked better if they forcibly took the MCs weapons and armor, so they had no choice but to run and rely on the Scions. Afterwards, Raubahns potato son could give you back your equipment.

Also, they could have had Ilbert personally come in and KICK YOUR rear end. Use that moment to build him up as the next big bad.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Iron Tusk posted:

Except you have no proof. So you still look like a crazy.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Of course, who's going to argue with a known serial axe murderer?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, they could have had Ilbert personally come in and KICK YOUR rear end. Use that moment to build him up as the next big bad.

It helps if the Muscle/Dragon beats the gently caress out of the hero the first time they fight afterall.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

It's much easier to get people to believe you're innocent if you haven't just killed dozens of police officers.

Police officers that literally everyone knows are corrupt, which is apparent from the first 60 seconds of playtime if you have a class from Ul'Dah.

Holyshoot posted:

With the exception of the Sultana, everyone that the people love walks out of the room, everyone the people hate die. It's pretty apparent that the commoners hate the Syndicate. They already don't believe anything about what Lolorito says about what happened, why would you think that they'd react negativly if it was the syndicate members dead and on the run instead of you. Especially if an Intact Raubahn is on your side.

Meldonox posted:

Of course, who's going to argue with a known serial axe murderer - who's also a worldwide folk hero?

Really though, the best possible thing that could have happened in that scene is to just have your character Swiftcast + Raise.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Iron Tusk posted:

Police officers that literally everyone knows are corrupt, which is apparent from the first 60 seconds of playtime if you have a class from Ul'Dah.

Everyone knows Baltimore police are corrupt as poo poo too, but it still wouldn't be ok to go murder all of them.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Lets discuss the finer points of cop murder.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

what the gently caress thread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leave it to goons to take a perfectly civil conversation in the worst possible direction.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dryzen posted:

Scared?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

very

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Everyone knows Baltimore police are corrupt as poo poo too, but it still wouldn't be ok to go murder all of them.

Says you :omarcomin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boten Anna posted:

To give them some credit, yes you are Captain McAwesome Godprimalslayer, but how things play out isn't exactly unrealistic or even inconsistent with the lore or mechanics. You can't teleport away, you're in combat, and besides aren't there some kind of magical forensics that can tell where you teleported to? Sneaking out and taking the long, windy, and way less traceable path to Coerthas was probably a good call. Additionally, slaughtering an entire town's defenses and citizens would be a pretty quick way to turn everyone's adoration for you into hatred. Politically and morally, it'd be a terrible move.

Except killing your way through the Brass Blades would be more like in Captain America 2 when Rodgers beats the poo poo out of the strike team and escapes from the SHIELD building. Yeah a bunch of rank and file might follow orders but there's going to be a large number of people wondering what the gently caress's really going on.

"The MC and Raubahn decided to commit regicide? Yeah I can believe that since it's being claimed by the political force that opposed the Sultana" would be something the commonfolk believe? Really? Two people who are BFFs murder the Sultana and the closest thing to a witness is the group who opposed her politically?

sword_man.gif posted:

You mean the big pile of bodies the rest of the Scions made and that could still be blamed on you because how the gently caress are the average citizens going to know?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The rest of the scions are dead so it doesn't matter.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
For all I know getting captured is part of another of Minfilia's dumbass plans, so I'm just going to play along until someone lets me know we're at the killing everything part of the plan.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just looked up the story for Coil

Am I right in understanding that Dalamud is ~basically~ just a dragon version of the fayth wall on Mt. Gagazet from FFX?

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Dryzen posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
A new theme for the Warrior of Light just got leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

• Locked thread