Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Are we sure about that? Didn't Davesprite do Dave's personal quest? I mean, he did at least some of his own when he was Future Dave in the crappy timeline, but for some reason I thought he was doing the rest of it in the main timeline too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

KoB posted:

Just because hes gay and doesnt want to bone her doesnt mean he cant appreciate a hot rear end.

An rear end as hot as Jane's transcends mere sexuality.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dolash posted:

Are we sure about that? Didn't Davesprite do Dave's personal quest? I mean, he did at least some of his own when he was Future Dave in the crappy timeline, but for some reason I thought he was doing the rest of it in the main timeline too.

No, I think it was made pretty clear that the quest that Davesprite did was not Dave's. Hephastus gave him a Choice all his own: Either I can fix ______ for you or I can fix the deringer for Dave. Presumably the blank was either Davesprite's broken body or his doomed status.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I'm kind of wondering if Jaspersprite engineered this whole double-sprite situation deliberately. He prototyped Rose then prototyped himself with her; it's all his actions that brought this about. He could just be being a big dumb cat but he could also be being a game construct horroterror thing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jasprosesprite does NOT have legs. Just shoes on the ends of the two ghostbutts of her constituent parts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Jasprosesprite does NOT have legs. Just shoes on the ends of the two ghostbutts of her constituent parts.

ersatz legs

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Now we need to find some inexplicable way for Dave and Rose to combine with their animal sprite selves like Jade did so Homestuck could Officially be a furry comic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Now we need to find some inexplicable way for Dave and Rose to combine with their animal sprite selves like Jade did so Homestuck could Officially be a furry comic.

Counterpoint: no, gently caress you.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Humanimalstuck

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I just realized that it is highly probable a second Jaspersprite is around here somewhere since this Jaspersprite hitched a ride on LOWAS with John and Roxy; only Davesprite kicked the bucket in this new reality. John even mentions Nannasprite is around somewhere on this update. I so hope we get to see Jaspers and Jasprose hang out.

Forgive me if someone pointed this out already.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of humanimals I forgot that Aurthour is totally out there with the felt, alive for some reason.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of humanimals I forgot that Aurthour is totally out there with the felt, alive for some reason.

He may or may not be Aurthour.

It's complicated when silly authorial meta-commentary sections become part of the story.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure listening to Calliope here is a good idea that will have no negative consequences. Look how trustworthy she looks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This isn't foreboding at all

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This seems to be Lady Masse, then.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really, really hope it's caliborn pretending to be his sister.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

who dies next

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well, that's a great place to end the week (sob). So this is where Jade met her Denizen, who is now gone, hence "Welcome back." I'm pretty sure this is the Calliope who beat Caliborn.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I'm glad I hedged my bets by making at least one guess on tumblr that Calliope might have something going on other than what we've seen.

I was actually thinking this as far back as yesterday: the Calliope we've been seeing seemed to have a slightly ominous expression.

Also, does this mean red is the blood color of predomination?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, that's a great place to end the week (sob). So this is where Jade met her Denizen, who is now gone, hence "Welcome back." I'm pretty sure this is the Calliope who beat Caliborn.
Jade talked to this Calliope before.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ariong posted:

The only ways that the Becs have been shown indulging their dog instincts have been by protecting Jade and chasing cats. Obviously Jade can't do the first one

I'm surprised she wasn't able to shake off the Condesce's control due to fanatical loyalty to herself

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

glowing-fish posted:

I'm glad I hedged my bets by making at least one guess on tumblr that Calliope might have something going on other than what we've seen.

I was actually thinking this as far back as yesterday: the Calliope we've been seeing seemed to have a slightly ominous expression.

It means she beat Caliborn and took his blood color as a trophy like he did to her in the main universe.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

caliborn took calliope's blood color as his text color as a trophy

caliborn's blood is red

therefor

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I was gonna ask "what's with the red text" but then I realized it's the counterpoint to Caliborn's green text.

Welp, see you all Sunday afternoon when exactly none of this will pay off and we're back to the lilypad or Jake and Tavros.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jade even admitted this version of Calliope was scary at first, so I don't think it should be suspicious now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Glowing Fish on tumblr posted:

Caliborn and Calliope as abuser and victim

(long text post ahead)

Caliborn and Calliope are perhaps the pair of characters in Homestuck who are most easily defined by abuser and victim roles. Caliborn and Calliope are also the pair of characters in Homestuck who are most defined by being stereotypically male and female.

I think this situation needs the discipline of pr96lematics applied to it.

Many other characters in Homestuck have some type of subversion of gender expectations in their characters. Karkat, seemingly grumpy and violent (stereotypically masculine characteristics) is also concerned with relationships and even a big follower of romantic comedies (stereotypically female characteristics). Jade, seemingly flighty, bubbly and concerned with flowers and fashion (stereotypically female) is also a scientific genius, carries a rifle, and is one of the most proactive members of the Beta Kids (stereotypically masculine). This pattern of subversion and avoidance of gender roles continues with the depiction of relationships. The best, and most controversial, depiction of an abusive relationship in Homestuck was between Vriska and Tavros: a relationship where the gender roles were reversed and where the female was the abuser and aggressor (although, of course, that is a simplification).

It isn’t until we meet Caliborn and Calliope in Act VI that we meet a pair of characters where the gender roles are so easily defined. Caliborn’s characteristics are all male, and negative. He is crass, crude, violent, lacks empathy for others, is not verbally skilled, is solipsistic, reductionistic and has a simplistic approach to the world based on winning. Calliope’s characteristics are all feminine, and positive. She is sympathetic, sophisticated, verbal, artistic, creative, concerned with relationships and helping others, and her worldview is based around communality, not winning. These lists could be expanded, but they basically come down to Caliborn as bad and male, and Calliope as good and female. And Caliborn is the abuser and Calliope is the victim. As much as there is hope that Calliope might have a plan, the basic dynamic is still male abuser and female victim.

Which makes me wonder if there is something else going on: why spend so much effort to draw out characters who are not defined by gender roles and typical dynamics of power and abuse…only to make the entire story hinge on such a thing? It makes me wonder if there is not going to be further subversions planned.

(I made this post last July, and it seems to be relevant now)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Realtalk, this version of Calliope is actually legit scary. Like, Caliborn is dangerous and all, but he's ridiculous and adorable. He has learned about the full emotional spectrum secondhand through Calliope, and so knows joy, companionship, and love. Sure, he hates them, but he still expresses them. The person before us, on the other hand, is a truly alien creature; she has never known happiness or compassion. Even given all the time we've spent with our Calliope I have no idea what she will be like because she is so distinctly different.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ariong posted:

Realtalk, this version of Calliope is actually legit scary. Like, Caliborn is dangerous and all, but he's ridiculous and adorable. He has learned about the full emotional spectrum secondhand through Calliope, and so knows joy, companionship, and love. Sure, he hates them, but he still expresses them. The person before us, on the other hand, is a truly alien creature; she has never known happiness or compassion. Even given all the time we've spent with our Calliope I have no idea what she will be like because she is so distinctly different.

Dunno about scary, but definitely sad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This one predominated Caliborn, right? Which is the natural evolution for a Cherub, and (assuming Calliope was still the "good" one) should mean she's well-rounded with personality aspects from both of them mixed together?

She's definitely a lot more dangerous as a result since she wouldn't be as pig-headed ignorant as Caliborn or as hapless as regular Calliope. There's definitely the makings of one exceptionally powerful character between the two of them, look at how much Caliborn achieved while being his species equivalent of brain-damaged. It may be a while before we see what she's planning, though. It's putting me in mind of Caliborn's trick with the disguised king and queen, although why or how I'm not sure.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

This one predominated Caliborn, right? Which is the natural evolution for a Cherub, and (assuming Calliope was still the "good" one) should mean she's well-rounded with personality aspects from both of them mixed together?

I dunno the stolen text colour might make her a more literal counterpart to Caliborn.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Ariong posted:

This Calliope has all the power she regularly doesn't have, and killed her brother. She's the gritty, future time traveler version of Calliope.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So this is a bit late but I thought of a possible reason why it's significant that Jasprosesprite has Derse PJs on: indicates a possible target for ascension to god tier.

I mean normally I wouldn't even consider anything like this, that putting a justly or heroically killed god tier player's corpse on their quest bed could somehow cause them to re-ascend if there were somehow a dreamer body around for them, but I also never considered the possibility of a sprite prototyping itself with an incomplete sprite to make a double sprite, so gently caress it why not. (The Rose in Jasprosesprite is herself god tier, raising the horrifyingly dumb categorical possibility of a double god tier at which point I will never stop listening to Hello Zepp.)

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Nice empty eye sockets you have there. It'd be a real shame if... someone shoved rapidly oscillating billiard balls into them

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, last chance to guess, how do you think Alt-Caliope killed her brother?

My theory is she pushed him down some stairs.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

GunnerJ posted:

I mean normally I wouldn't even consider anything like this, that putting a justly or heroically killed god tier player's corpse on their quest bed could somehow cause them to re-ascend if there were somehow a dreamer body around for them, but I also never considered the possibility of a sprite prototyping itself with an incomplete sprite to make a double sprite, so gently caress it why not.

This is what is known as a God Tier that has ascended past a God Tier... or you could just call this a God Tier^2

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rooreelooo posted:

This is what is known as a God Tier that has ascended past a God Tier... or you could just call this a God Tier^2

:vince:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the origins of andrew hussie

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, last chance to guess, how do you think Alt-Caliope killed her brother?

My theory is she pushed him down some stairs.

Oh god please can it be this. Please please please