Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh that's irritating as gently caress, because that story was so close to being cool if everyone just acted within the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
VtM players are bad.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I don't have many great or terrible larp stories in general but I was briefly in a group with an amazing player, she was the only approved low generation Toreador character in our half of a rather large group of about 40, split between two halves of the city we lived in, in our own private Camarilla kinda system.

Our friendly neighborhood Grandma was played by a 19 year old girl who did costume work as a side job, so she would always pop in to the game wearing completely ancient looking clothing she had borrowed from stage shows, wearing a bonnet and hauling around a giant carpet bag with her everywhere she went.

The character was apparently turned in the 1930s at about 60 years old and was probably one of the most powerful characters in our game. She spent roughly 80% of her game time just socializing with people whilst chiding them for not writing to her more and telling them they needed to eat more often. The other 20% of her time was spent doing her job as the right hand of the Prince, subtly chatting info out of the unsuspecting visitors from the other side of the city or from our new players as an introduction to the mechanics of what we were up to, the whole time pretending to be a senile old woman.

A few of the older players in the game were out of character aware of the fact that she was the Prince's right hand, but probably about ten of them myself included were fairly new and had no idea whatsoever, the rest only had an inkling about the fact that she was someone to be aware of, I'm pretty sure none of the players in the other game had any idea except for the Prince of their "city" who had sent a fairly strong Ventrue player along with a pair of Gangrel bodyguards to get some info on our own Prince.

We go about our evening for about an hour and the Ventrue sees a chance to pull her off into a private scene and pretty bluntly attempts to dominate the information out of her demanding to know what our Prince is up to, so being two steps lower in generation she flat out ignores his ability and reaches into the carpet bag causing all three of the players to tense up and pulls out an 80 dollar scarf, wraps it around the Ventrue's neck, and pats him on the cheek and just goes "That's nice deary" and totters off to call our own combat characters into the scene to deal with some spies as the spies just sit there stunned at the situation, while the Ventrue player is just sitting there gawping at his new scarf.

That's like the only interestingish story I have, congratulations :v:.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A Darker Porpoise posted:

That's like the only interestingish story I have, congratulations :v:.
Better than most LARP stories because something actually happened. Mine are all second/third-hand, but they're pretty much all "dickface was breaking the rules in an almost funny way (if it weren't so dumb and ham-handed)" or "I made some incredibly elaborate plan and the GM shut me down because of the target's incessant whining and the complete inability to banish them".

My only really good "story" is that I was chatting/flirting with this girl in my dorm and she said "if someone ever suggests you should join LARP, the correct response is to punch them in the mouth." She was fun.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Yawgmoth posted:

My only really good "story" is that I was chatting/flirting with this girl in my dorm and she said "if someone ever suggests you should join LARP, the correct response is to punch them in the mouth." She was fun.

Fuckin' wisdom.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

After getting very tired of the BS at our troupe (huge game 60+ players regularly, that managed to have nothing happen all the time, so you know standard larp) my group of 6 some friends and a couple of people we knew in game made a bunch of human ghouls (mortal servants who drink vampire blood to stop aging and get cool powers, but you are addicted to the blood, and basically a slave, but you can go out in daytime and most vampires will ignore you completely) in a vampire game and proceeded to pretend to be a single assassin vampire. The GMs were really cool with it, and helped keep the fact that these people playing 2nd class characters where slowly causing the city to descend into paranoid madness.

We only killed a couple of actual players, sticking to mostly killing off all the NPC contacts and background vampires. Though at least 3 other players got killed by trying to bluff people into thinking this unknown assassin was them. I was killed before it came to a head and stopped going because of life, but I hear it ended with ghouls being outlawed and most of the top of the court being replaced/killed, and the ghoul squad retreating to the shadows to become a GM controlled Underground Railroad/ Newbie Vampire kidnapping ring.

It was really fun but only worked because the GMs thought it would liven up the game and because we were all willing to do everything in secret and not have any spotlight whatsoever. Not things you commonly find in larpers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is there ever any crossover between WOD lines in larps? Do hunter players ever barge in and flamethrower board meetings?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

chaos rhames posted:

Is there ever any crossover between WOD lines in larps? Do hunter players ever barge in and flamethrower board meetings?

There's a story I've heard before, I think from this thread, of some Sabbat vampires crashing a Camarilla shindig and casting a ritual that ended up killing everyone there. The ritual took around 3 hours for all of them to cast, and they legitimately just sat there in a circle, chanting. If anyone had used Auspex on them they would have immediately known what was going on, and the storytellers were keeping a close eye on them to make sure that if someone *did* ken to what was going on they would immediately know.

Eventually the storytellers just said "Okay, you're dead, those guys over there just killed you. You're all idiots."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Idea: Paranoia larp. Rent out an abandoned factory and be an rear end in a top hat for 6 hours.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

chaos rhames posted:

Idea: Paranoia larp. Rent out an abandoned factory and be an rear end in a top hat for 6 hours.

First guy to run out of clones has to chip off all that nice, new, multicoloured paint and restore everything back to rust clearance.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

chaos rhames posted:

You typically had to get permissions from the GMs to cross into other places, and the GMs would tend to be quite territorial about some sadsack from another game wanting to come in just to kill characters. Then of course, there were GMs who were sick of dickheads in their own games and would sanction some kind of lunatic raid to amuse themselves, but that tended to backfire when the escalating complaints would begin. Most of the cross-line stuff was kept out of the games proper and mostly involved people using their Influences to try and dick with other games, but even that was mostly kept rare because most people would be playing their own characters in each game, so using your character to dick over another one of your characters was kind of a waste of time. Technically there was no real way that the vampire Camarilla game could stop a werewolf assault, but most of the players would consider that a serious dick move, and the GMs would just say no.

The best crossovers were stuff that were initiated by the sane players to try and make respective games more interesting. The Sabbat game benefited from an amusing Camarilla infiltration storyline, but the incredibly calcified Camarilla game refused to really interact with a Sabbat recruitment drive idea and that story kind of died in the arse.

I'd love to tell stories about the fun I had at Camarilla games, but they're mostly bland "I had a really amazing scene with this character" sorts of stories. Definitely not as notable or cat-pissy as the time one player proudly announced which Camarilla character her boyfriend, a fellow player, would pretend to be when they had sex and it wasn't one of his characters.

chaos rhames posted:

There is a Con coming up in a couple of months that I normally run things for. I am sorely tempted to try this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I once read a story about a Paranoia LARP at a con. It was about as calcified as your average Cam game when the narrator arrived, everyone standing around with no idea what was going on, and an ominous object in the middle of the play area. So he took it upon himself to get into the spirit and get explosively killed a few times to shake the rest of the group up. Sadly, they weren't amused.

And the ominous object turned out to be a refrigerator.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

chaos rhames posted:

So this is from Origins 2002? 2003? I got to see a Paranoia LARP play out in real time. Sadly, this is one of those stories where brilliant creativity is sacrificed at the altar of utter and staggering assholishness.

Origins, like many conventions, will Comp someone's ticket, if they volunteer to run a certain number worth of hours of a game. The game-master for this game had given the Con a script and outline for his game which would have, in one session, bought him a three-day weekend pass, and had gotten his game, and his comped attendance approved.

Where the shattering level of dickery enters the picture is two-fold.

The first, was a large bowl of M&M's that the GM had set by the doorway. For any of those of you who are familiar with conventions, you are aware exactly how likely it is that this bowl was gonna last from the point in time when the doors were opened, to the point in time the game started. The GM sitting, and watching the bowl the entire time. The bowl filled with a whole rainbow of different... colored candies.

It was a 1-clone-per-person game. Anyone who touched the candy got *Zap!*'d as soon as the game started, for interacting with material outside their clearance level. This cut the field from about fifteen players to about three, right at the start.

The second was the "Briefing Room". Which was a red tablecloth on the floor of the room which had been reserved. Following the opening briefing, as with any game of Paranoia, the Troubleshooters then need to make their way to their designated supply depot.

Which meant leaving the Red Tablecloth. Surrounded by Blue Carpet.

I was the only one who managed to make it to the Supply Depot, by killing my other two troubleshooters, and painting a path from the Briefing Room to the Supply Depot with their blood; at which point the game automatically failed, as the guy who had written the module for the Con had constructed it so that Friend Computer's R&D had an item that needed testing, which was a two-part dead-man's Atomic Grenade; each half set up so that if the other half's biometric reader stopped transmitting, it would activate the device.

Guy spent twenty bucks on M&M's, and $3 on a cheap plastic tablecloth, and bought himself a $75 convention ticket. He also screwed a whole bunch of people out of a supposed six-hours of Paranoia LARP by running the game exactly as the rules were written.

What a motherfucker.

chaos rhames posted:

Funny you should mention this...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wow, I've heard of doing stuff like that before, but it's supposed to be a fun, "Ah-hah I got you!" kind of thing, a slap on the wrists or maybe kill off a clone. Booting the player out is just loving insane.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This is a second-hand larp story, so it might as well be stdh (it probably is), but it nevertheless cracks me up.

Three dudes were going to a WoD larp, all gothed-out, and caught eyes of patrolling policemen with some sort of dumb fantasy "ritual" knife. So, they stop these spawns of satan to see what they're up to, check their documents and tell to lay the weaponry on the ground (like, mostly just to document this poo poo properly). Two of the guys complied, assembling a small pile of vampire stilettos and assorted gothnerd crap, while the third mostly just stood there impatiently. The cops urge him to get cracking, which results in a sneer of contempt: "I am a mage."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lichtenstein posted:

The cops urge him to get cracking, which results in a sneer of contempt: "I am a mage."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tD6QshaqmA

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

chaos rhames posted:

In the system I was playing in, cross splat play wasn't forbidden but it wasn't really encouraged either. The STs for Mage were pretty much instructed to give the Mages so much poo poo to do that they wouldn't have time to interfere with other splats. Oh, there was one exception: Geists were literally cut off into their own continuity after it was pointed out that Boneyard let any dickhead Geist go "Target all vampires in the city. I set them on fire."

The one story I heard during vampire of the time that some crossover happened with werewolf was when a Prince of one of the domains had been loving with werewolf plot. They did not take kindly to this. Some cross play was authorised and it went like this.

- Elder (and hard as gently caress) vampire gets into elevator. Elevator starts going up. Halfway up, the werewolf who was hiding on top of the elevator bursts in through the ceiling. Drop into combat rounds.
- Surprise round. Werewolf drops onto elder vampire and attacks for lots of aggravated damage. Werewolf activates Bonebreaking for lots of lethal damage. Elder vampire is ashed immediately. Werewolf goes through the bottom of the elevator.
- Turn 1: There isn't a turn one, it's already over.

The ST ruled it was so fast the elevator's security camera didn't really see anything. I was talking to the guy who was assigned by the next Prince to investigate what happened. He took one look at the security tape and went "welp, whatever it was ashed an Elder in less than a second, so I'm going to put my feet up for a week and claim the investigation didn't turn up anything because fuuuuck catching up with whatever that was."

Funnily enough I never heard of werewolf/vampire cross play happening after that. From what I hear of London, it took a fair amount of OOC finagling to make sure that all the different splats didn't have a massive pileup in Hyde Park, because groups from each game were using it as an HQ at the same time. I think everyone just agreed that they'd probably all decided to share. A buddy and I always had a laugh that my Mage character and his Vampire character must know each other because they, purely coincidentally, worked in the same department at the same university building. The joke was that they both had so much poo poo on their plate they almost certainly never noticed that their colleague was dead or a wizard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That sounds like the best way to handle Mages in a crossover venue, plus an introductory spiel like "You could gently caress up everyone and everything else in this game with the right Arcana, please don't be dicks about that!".

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Doodmons posted:

Geists were literally cut off into their own continuity after it was pointed out that Boneyard let any dickhead Geist go "Target all vampires in the city. I set them on fire."

This Geist isn't a dickhead, he's a hero who deserves a medal.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I've never played WoD-style live action, but we had a similar thing at my university. The difference being that, not being White Wolf-licensed, we weren't beholden to their crazy bullshit. We also kept a high turnover rate: each year the people running it would hand the baton on to a different team with their own setting and ruleset and so on.

We also had a downtime system in which players would email us between sessions with what their characters were up to.

I took my turn at being part of the GM team for a while, and got to experience the wonder of two characters, who we'll call A and B.
A was a decent, mild-mannered, jovial kind of a guy. He wanted to play a moblord -- we thought this was a great idea.

B approached A and asked if she could play his sister, and if she could come up with some linked background. A thought this was a great idea, he wasn't big on writing enormous character backgrounds himself.

B proceeded to detail how she was A's sister, and also his daughter, and also his regular BDSM incest partner.

Two things happened which I'm still not sure I can explain. One: A read this background from the seeping, pus-filled nadir of fanfiction.net and decided cool, whatever, I planned on just being a moblord but if she wants me to be her incest daddy then I'll roll with it. Two: the GM team read the background, shrugged, and let her play the character.

A and the GM team then proceeded to get a weekly update, alongside B's regular character downtime, of the horrific things that she and A were doing. After a while, A started posting back: as far as I can tell, in a spirit of one-upmanship.

Things came to a head when one of the other players, having got hold of a scrying pool, and having gotten suspicious of what A was doing for entirely different reasons, used her downtime to scry on B.

In retrospect, it was probably a mistake for us to forward her the edited highlights.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kavak posted:

That sounds like the best way to handle Mages in a crossover venue, plus an introductory spiel like "You could gently caress up everyone and everything else in this game with the right Arcana, please don't be dicks about that!".

I was always that guy that wanted to play a mage in the vampire game, but I didn't get bent out of shape about the GMs not letting me do it because I know that for every one responsible player that would follow this rule, there's four that would break it five minutes into the game.

Doodmons posted:

- Elder (and hard as gently caress) vampire gets into elevator. Elevator starts going up. Halfway up, the werewolf who was hiding on top of the elevator bursts in through the ceiling. Drop into combat rounds.
- Surprise round. Werewolf drops onto elder vampire and attacks for lots of aggravated damage. Werewolf activates Bonebreaking for lots of lethal damage. Elder vampire is ashed immediately. Werewolf goes through the bottom of the elevator.
- Turn 1: There isn't a turn one, it's already over.

The new World of Darkness games are more intended for cross-game use, but the old games were goofy as hell and people would get shredded at the drop of a hat. Masquerade and Apocalypse, for example, only look similar at a glance. The power scales of combat in those games are totally different. Every werewolf can do agg damage with their bare hands, at will. Vampires have to use disciplines and pay vitae for that privilege, and even then there's not necessarily roided-out kill machines like werewolves.

And don't even get me started with old Mage.

Edit:

Whybird posted:

I've never played WoD-style live action, but we had a similar thing at my university. The difference being that, not being White Wolf-licensed, we weren't beholden to their crazy bullshit. We also kept a high turnover rate: each year the people running it would hand the baton on to a different team with their own setting and ruleset and so on.

We also had a downtime system in which players would email us between sessions with what their characters were up to.

I took my turn at being part of the GM team for a while, and got to experience the wonder of two characters, who we'll call A and B.
A was a decent, mild-mannered, jovial kind of a guy. He wanted to play a moblord -- we thought this was a great idea.

B approached A and asked if she could play his sister, and if she could come up with some linked background. A thought this was a great idea, he wasn't big on writing enormous character backgrounds himself.

B proceeded to detail how she was A's sister, and also his daughter, and also his regular BDSM incest partner.

Two things happened which I'm still not sure I can explain. One: A read this background from the seeping, pus-filled nadir of fanfiction.net and decided cool, whatever, I planned on just being a moblord but if she wants me to be her incest daddy then I'll roll with it. Two: the GM team read the background, shrugged, and let her play the character.

A and the GM team then proceeded to get a weekly update, alongside B's regular character downtime, of the horrific things that she and A were doing. After a while, A started posting back: as far as I can tell, in a spirit of one-upmanship.

Things came to a head when one of the other players, having got hold of a scrying pool, and having gotten suspicious of what A was doing for entirely different reasons, used her downtime to scry on B.

In retrospect, it was probably a mistake for us to forward her the edited highlights.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 29, 2015

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

This has pretty much been my internal response every time I recollect this story.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Whybird posted:

This has pretty much been my internal response every time I recollect this story.

This may be the only time I have ever or will ever say this, but: this is why paperwork in the Camarilla can be a good thing. Having to submit character backgrounds to GMs all the way up the chain (well, from venue to domain to regional) would catch something like this, and bar it. WW players will do all sorts of creepy poo poo, but the rules actually forbid specific creepiness in a character's concept, like incest for example. Now, that doesn't always mean the GMs will follow-through with barring that kind of thing, because they could be creeps all the same. But our GMs (and I would think most GMs) would not have let this player bring in an incest background with another PC.

But the fact that WW feels the need to mention, "don't write incest background, guys, for reals" is evidence of how hosed up some of its players are. Jesus Christ.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Whybird posted:

I need a :stare: + :banjo: emote right now.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Yeah, there seems to be this tendency among a certain kind of player to conflate being shocking with being literary. But it's the GMs' job to slap them down, because otherwise -- as our example proves -- you end up with other players either leaving the game in horror or making it the norm, and before long your entire game reeks of cat piss.

We luckily didn't get to that point, and I think someone must have had a chat with B after the game was over because she did tone it down after that, but it really should have been us.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

The new World of Darkness games are more intended for cross-game use, but the old games were goofy as hell and people would get shredded at the drop of a hat. Masquerade and Apocalypse, for example, only look similar at a glance. The power scales of combat in those games are totally different. Every werewolf can do agg damage with their bare hands, at will. Vampires have to use disciplines and pay vitae for that privilege, and even then there's not necessarily roided-out kill machines like werewolves.

This was nWoD. 1E nWoD Werewolves have this weird reputation for being the (heh) underdogs but they're loving killing machines, particularly if you abuse bonebreaking. 1E vampires didn't really have a lot of survivability, though, either. Not that anything could really have withstood a surprise round of aggravated and lethal damage of the magnitude that an elder werewolf can dish out. In 2E, an Elder vampire probably could have survived that between Resilience, blood healing, vampiric damage downgrading and, hell, maybe even Juggernaut's Gait.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

2e nWoD Werewolves in Gauru are damned near unkillable. Unless you can inflict aggravated damage they heal *all* Lethal every time their initiative rolls around. And while Uratha do have access to Aggravated damage, it's usually a harmony sin to use those methods. The only real reliable way to kill a death raging werewolf is to wait them out and kill them afterwards. Or drop a demon on them and tell them to go loud.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Doodmons posted:

This was nWoD. 1E nWoD Werewolves have this weird reputation for being the (heh) underdogs but they're loving killing machines, particularly if you abuse bonebreaking. 1E vampires didn't really have a lot of survivability, though, either. Not that anything could really have withstood a surprise round of aggravated and lethal damage of the magnitude that an elder werewolf can dish out. In 2E, an Elder vampire probably could have survived that between Resilience, blood healing, vampiric damage downgrading and, hell, maybe even Juggernaut's Gait.

Holy poo poo. Welp.

Anyway, this is yet another post about my old D&D group. Previous stories:

"Never Split Up the Party"
"How I Met Your Mother,"
"The Peanut Gallery's Finest Hour."
"Sense and Snipability"

Today's story is another Munchkin joint, so you might want to read "Sense and Snipability" to properly contextualize the person we're talking about here.

The cast:

:rolldice: The DM. (I'll call him... The DM.)

:j: Played a LG human paladin. (I'll call her J.)

:smaug: Played a NG half dragon spell sword. (I'll call him Smaug.)

:megaman: Played a CG human bard. (I'll call him Megaman, which would make him the happiest man on Earth.)

:twisted: Played a LE elven sorceress. (I'll call him Munchkin.)

:stat: Played no one and just hung around and trolled us. (I'll call him Statler.)

:clint: Played a NG dwarven rogue. (This is me.)

The Crazy Cat Lady

In "Sense and Snipability," I described how Munchkin made a LE character in a group full of Good characters and how I PK'd the character for it. Well, Munchkin didn't leave the game and was allowed to make a new character. He had wanted to use some kind of goofy, third-party supplement in the first place, but the DM put the kibosh on that idea because the DM didn't know the supplement.

This story, if nothing else, is the story about how misplaced guilt can ruin everything.

Our DM let him use his supplement for his second character. The DM just asked Munchkin to make a non-Evil character, and he agreed. The DM did not read the supplement, and (foolishly) trusted Munchkin. Maybe he thought he learned his lesson. Maybe he thought Munchkin had a shred of decency or mercy in his grognardy bones.

He did not.

While this is a story about guilt gone awry, it is also a story about this... thing:

Sorry. Should have added a trigger warning up ahead of that. This is the worst loving supplement I have ever actually seen used in a game. I've seen worse, but they're either never really used and just joked about, or they're just conceptually terrible like "Uncle Touchy's Bondage Dragon-Ponies" or whatever. This book isn't the goofiest thing ever published in D&D's regrettable open license, but it is mechanically the most broken-rear end thing I have ever read. I GIS'd the book cover for this post and I actually had a reaction of visceral anger when I saw it for the first time in seven years. gently caress this book right in it's gatdamn ear.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, though. There may be sane ways to use this supplement. I have never known any, though, because the only person I've known to use it is Munchkin.

He followed through on his agreement not to make an Evil character. So, naturally, he made a CN Chaos Mage using this supplement. He poured all of his hate power-maxing skill into this character, and made her the min-maxiest glass cannon I have ever seen as a player or as a GM. The character was a "Shadow Elf," if I remember the term correctly. This is not to be confused with a Drow. Shadow Elves are some kind of CN dumb rear end cousin of the Drow. I guess. I dunno. I tried not to think too much about it. Suffice it to say, they also came form this supplement.

Between the racial bonuses and the class abilities, this character got up to 30+ CHA, which was the operative stat for chaos magic. The supplement made a token effort to "balance" these stat bumps by making other stats go down as CHA went up every couple of levels. So, by the time this character was tenth level, she had 30 CHA and 3 STR and 5 CON. The player also min-maxed the poo poo out of her INT and WIS so that she was functionally retarded but had 18 WIS. This character was a tiny, sickly sociopath with a serial killer's charisma and Rain Man-type of intellect.

Oh, and this character could remake reality to her deranged whim. Chaos magic itself was also "balanced." There was a check to use it, and if you failed it you took damage. But if you didn't you were all set. I guess the character could, in theory, get knocked out almost instantly due to the extremely low CON, but she almost never failed because of the min-maxed CHA. Regardless of that, what the character could do with the magic was just horrendous. Who needs STR or skill ranks when you can do literally anything you can imagine, at will?

I'll stop ranting about the supplement before I make myself crazy and get into what happened during the game.

Munchkin played his insufferable character to the hilt. I still can't decide if he was doing it out of spite for PKing his first character or if he really was that deaf to the other players' suffering. I know that it sounds like the former is likely, but this guy demonstrated so much lack of empathy for other players that it makes me mad just thinking about it. He did that with his first character, so why not with this one too? It could have been both spite and callousness, because this character made the first one look like the Dalai Lama by comparison.

The party wouldn't even get into the middle of an adventure before Munchkin's dumb rear end chaos mage would do something so disruptive that it wasted an hour of time at the table. Even if we weren't loving around and stayed in-character and on-task, the trouble this character would cause was so far-reaching and random and constant that it took the entire party to rein it in, if that was even possible. And it wasn't fun for the rest of us, either. This wasn't the kind of goofy chaos that the whole group is in on and making light of burning down villages by accident or whatever. The rest of the group wanted to, you know, have adventures and solve plots, but Munchkin was only interested in making the setting his own personal, deranged sandbox. And no one could stop him because the supplement was broken as hell. I had to resist PKing the stupid character every single session because I already did it once and I didn't want to seem like I was picking on Munchkin. In hindsight, I should have just done it and been the bad guy. He would have been pissed at me, but it would have saved everyone else the annoyance and boredom because the DM was just not willing to flatly throw him out of the group.

Here's an example of one single session, but I'm going to tell it in a way that communicates what Munchkin did to every single session:

We roll into this small port town. Megaman has found us a lead on a ship captain that can get us across the sea, which we need to do to chase a villain. The ship captain needs ale to supply his ship for the voyage, but his supplier is loving him because he cheated the supplier in a card game recently. We make our way toward the supplier to negotiate with him and--

:twisted: *~ Turns literally all the town's water into a clear, tasteless ale ~*

So now we have ale, but the town is in chaos because literally everyone is drunk. The port is functionless and we're stuck in the city until every man, woman, and child sobers up. By the time they do, the town is on full alert looking for whatever witch did this thing to them. They figure it out easily because Munchkin sticks out like a sore thumb, and they corner us. J's paladin steps forward and, with the help of Megaman's bard, talks the crowd out of--

:twisted: *~ Flies away and turns into a black cat, perched atop the mast of a ship ~*

The crowd now realizes the rest of the group is not to blame and they set about trying to find and kill the "witch," who is still a cat. They storm the ship to try to corner the cat and--

:twisted: *~ Turns all of the food stores on the ship into rats ~*

The rats swarm the townsfolk and they are driven off the ship. The rats go about ravaging the town, eating everything in sight. The party goes about using its skills and abilities to control the rats, and they are finally--

:twisted: *~ Appears before the mob and magically compels them to worship her as The Rat Goddess ~*

The mob turns on the party, fighting us for trying to drive out their new god's rat minions. We fight our way to the edge of town, trying not to kill too many deranged villagers while not getting ourselves killed in the process. We regroup and--

:twisted: *~ Summons all the town's cats to her. Then, releases the compulsion on the people so she can sell the cats to the townsfolk to deal with the rats ~*

The townsfolk, this time (relatively) mundanely compelled by Munchkin's 30 CHA, buy the cats from her and use them to kill the rats. We sneak back into town and confront Munchkin.

:twisted: Magically compels all the town's children to kill the cats, which they do.

This set off the DM, and the rest of the group as well. We were playing along and just dealing with things, in-character, but this was the kind of pointlessly sick thing that is gross to do, even in imagination. I don't even like cats and this pissed me off because it's sociopathic for a player to think it's funny enough for his character to do.

So meanwhile, Munchkin's character has a pile of money, and she turns all the gold into water, which runs into the sea, ruining the local economy.

:twisted: "There. Now we won't have to pay for ale, and the rats and cats are taken care of. :smug:

My 5 CHA dwarf, who made trinkets out of metal idly like one would whittle wood, made a tiny metal horse on the spot for a crying child who was just forced to throttle a cat.

At this point, Munchkin apparently got bored to derailing the game, and the DM just put us on the loving boat. All of this took just over two hours. Munchkin would act so quickly, and so domineeringly, that he would monopolize the DM's attention and brow beat the poo poo out of him. Worse yet, he had the mechanics to back it up because, again, this supplement is the worst loving thing.

Every game was like this after he made this character. Usually, the only way we got anything "done" was in the last few minutes of the game, when Munchkin tired himself out and the DM said, "well, gently caress it. I guess this or that happened, so we can move on next game." This is what finally killed the game. It ended unceremoniously, as many games do, when people just stopped showing up. There wasn't a slow decline, either. We all agreed to stop playing because Munchkin was insufferable, yet the DM didn't feel comfortable simply throwing him out. This group was as dysfunctional as I've ever seen a group, but we could have played for many more months in that game, and even in other campaigns, if not for Munchkin.

I still miss that group. Smaug was and still is a min-maxer but he's a nice guy and I rarely game with him anymore because he moved away. I haven't played with Megaman since, but I'd like to do so again, but unfortunately he has also moved away in the seven years since the end of the game. I'm married to J, and I game with her and the DM in an new group once a week now, but I want to try playing with them and Smaug and Megaman, mostly because I miss those guys. But to hell with Munchkin. He's the reason I am totally comfortable telling players to buzz off when I can tell they're going to be more trouble than they're worth.

I still regret not PKing that chaos mage on day one. I'll never hesitate like that again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How did she come up with that elaborate scheme with an intelligence of 3?

How did she not take a swan dive straight into the darkest depths of chaotic evil after the "turn all of the towns children into burgeoning sociopaths" spell?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow.
I didn't know White Wolf ever came out with Aristocrats: The.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kurieg posted:

How did she come up with that elaborate scheme with an intelligence of 3?

How did she not take a swan dive straight into the darkest depths of chaotic evil after the "turn all of the towns children into burgeoning sociopaths" spell?

1) :shrug:

2) I forgot to mention that. She did. That session was one of our last, and the DM finally told him he'd gone too far. And with him being CE and with a paladin still in our party, he wouldn't have lasted much longer. The game ended partly because it basically forced another PK on him, and no one wanted to do that. He was acting like a dickhead about it and saying we were picking on him when we would be constantly trying to foil his schemes. He really would have pitched a fit if anyone PK'd him. In hindsight, that kind of makes me wish even more that I had done it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bassetking posted:

It was a 1-clone-per-person game.
You might as well play WARHAMMER 40K: Trade Negotiations Stay Civil.

I can't think of one rules change that could break a game's spirit faster "Paranoia: One Goof and you're out!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I can't think of one rules change that could break a game's spirit faster "Paranoia: One Goof and you're out!"

Because it wasn't meant to be an actually successful game. The gamemaster designed it so it would be over as soon as possible so he could game the system. Without actually just starting the game with "Friend computer says all of you need to die. Friend computer also says murder is a crime." before walking out of the room.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Rockopolis posted:

Wow.
I didn't know White Wolf ever came out with Aristocrats: The.

They did, it was a book called Montreal By Night.

One of the guys in my group of friends who mostly played Masquerade bought that book, read it, then promptly got a short Apocalypse campaign going that he called Rage Across Montreal ("Rage Across X" books being the werewolf equivalents of the "X By Night" books) where we played a mid-rank pack of werewolves tasked with cleaning the city out. As we played he crossed out the portrait of every dusted vampire with a black marker and a note of how they died ("face eaten," "torn in half," "fire") and to my knowledge never opened the book again when we were done. IIRC this is the book were 75% of all the most hosed up White Wolf art comes from, and involved things like the quadruple amputee vampire named Toy who the Sabbat hid in baby carriages or used to 'bob for victims' by dangling him down on a rope into a grain silo full of trapped humans.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Golden Bee posted:

Yup. Dude wasn't looking to run a game. Dude was looking to get to spend a whole weekend at a gaming convention, and not pay for his ticket.

Dude was an rear end in a top hat.

Anyway!

This next one took place about twelve years ago. Specific Mechanical Details may be fuzzy, and for that, I apologize. It is, however, a WoD LARP story, and one I've been meaning to post to a Cat Piss thread since I joined SA.

I am not the same person I was back then, and, were I then, who I am now, I would have likely handled the situation in a different manner.

So, I was at Ohio State University back in 2003. Now, because, back then, I was a twenty year old college kid, I lived a nearly totally nocturnal day-cycle, due to some bad, bad insomnia.

This has anything at all to do with the story because of Burritos Noches.

Ahh. Burritos Noches. One Swipe of a Meal Card, and you could get a Burrito The Size Of Your Head. It was open from 12AM to 4AM, and was a godsend to those students who were, like me, up very late.

It also attracted the local chapter of The Cam. Or, at least, The Prince, and a whole bunch of his cotire.

Each and every night, this group of Goth-dressed Kine-Sneerers would cluster the area right around the doorway to this delightful land of tasty late-night burritos.

And they would LARP. In the worst, Cammy, Mundane-Freaking, Feed-By-Touching, Greasy Goth manner.

It got so harassing that the University considered shutting down the food venue, due to the complaints of female students about thirty-five-year-old grease-beards lounging around in black, and makeup, and touching them. I get the whole "Touch to Feed" thing, but seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously. The kind of folks who show up to do this form of LARP are exactly the kind of folks who will take that as an invitation to get all Creepy-Touchy on the college kids they're trying to freak.

Now, to myself, and my friends, all of whom were TTRPG players, the loss of Burritos Noches was unacceptable. Upon hearing that the University was considering canceling the program, we decided to take action. We knew enough about these V:tM players that most of them were former university students, but didn't currently attend, and didn't give a gently caress about what happened to the students there, they'd move their characters to a new location on campus, and keep harassing students.

So long as they had those characters.

Which is where my friends and myself hatched our plan.

We contacted Campus Facilities, and, using available forms, made rental of five sections of mobile, generator-powered stadium-lighting. We positioned these around the little courtyard that these LARPers lurked.

We went out, and bought Super-Soakers.

And we bought a copy of Hunter: The Reckoning, and contacted the Cam to start a sanctioned Hunter Group.

The night all of this went down; when the lighting was in place, one on a pole above the center of the courtyard, the other four positioned on the ground to encompass the entire courtyard. We then used a sharpie to write "Flamethrower" down the side of each Super-Soaker, and "HIGH INTENSITY UV" on paper signs that we taped to each of the lights.

We waited. And waited. And once the whole LARP had shown up to do their freaking and feeding...

We turned on the Generator, and jumped from the hedges with the Super-soakers.

Between the "Sunlight", and the Agg-Damage from the Flamethrowers, we ashed nearly "five thousand years" of V:tM characters in one evening's actions. And as frustrated as the Storyteller was, when we presented our Avenger and Defender Hunter Sheets, he actually adjudicated that we had succeeded, to the angry protestations of his group. "They perfectly played the Role of Hunters. You all got too complacent, didn't check out the area you'd be gathering, didn't spend resources to secure the area, fed in the location too many times, and drew the attention of Hunters. Exactly like it's supposed to happen, when you do that."

So yeah.

I am not proud of super-soaking a bunch of LARPers in order to save a burrito location.

I am willing to admit there's some Cat-Piss on each and every side of this story.

But seeing a dude fifteen years older than you actually break down in tears, because the character he'd been playing for seven years, since he was in Grad School, had been Ashed, and there was nothing he could do about it? And knowing that what we'd done would cause a massive shake-up in the area's Cam; likely bringing in a group of leadership who would be more likely to tell guys like that to quit loving "Freaking The Kine"?

I can feel a little bit good about that.

So yeah. That's the story of how I did a One-Shot Hunter: The Reckoning LARP, ashed thirty people's characters, and saved some tasty burritos.

Mature? Oh, hell no.

Would I do it today? God, no.

It is something I'll still point to as a citation of "In-Game Actions have In-Game Consequences."?
Absolutely.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I disagree, you couldn't have done a more morally correct thing than spray some neckbeards with a super soaker in the name of burritos and making them cry.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

SpaceViking posted:

I disagree, you couldn't have done a more morally correct thing than spray some neckbeards with a super soaker in the name of burritos and making them cry.

Yeah, I would've joined you if I was there.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Bassetking posted:

we bought a copy of Hunter: The Reckoning, and contacted the Cam to start a sanctioned Hunter Group.

...snip...

as frustrated as the Storyteller was, when we presented our Avenger and Defender Hunter Sheets, he actually adjudicated that we had succeeded, to the angry protestations of his group. "They perfectly played the Role of Hunters. You all got too complacent, didn't check out the area you'd be gathering, didn't spend resources to secure the area, fed in the location too many times, and drew the attention of Hunters. Exactly like it's supposed to happen, when you do that."

It would have been douchey to just go wild on a bunch of Vampire LARPers with Super Soakers, but the fact that you went out of your way to make it legitimate elevates the whole thing to a whole new level.

You should feel zero guilt about this.

That's one of the best griefing stories I've ever heard.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nemo posted:

It would have been douchey to just go wild on a bunch of Vampire LARPers with Super Soakers, but the fact that you went out of your way to make it legitimate elevates the whole thing to a whole new level.

You should feel zero guilt about this.

That's one of the best griefing stories I've ever heard.

Yeah, that's pretty damned amazing. And, on top of that, you were doing a public service by saving burritos and preventing harassment! Kudos to you for also doing it in such a fashion that it didn't just deflect the problem somewhere else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bassetking posted:

I am not proud of super-soaking a bunch of LARPers in order to save a burrito location.
Why the gently caress not? That's fantastic and, as the ST pointed out, is exactly what should happen.