Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Valeyard posted:

I just finished getting my haircut and was thinking of going to ALDIs to get some sandwich meat - my phone already has an active card telling me directions and 15 minutes to the store. Google ftw

linux turdwall is haveing problems with google now https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/SfLtYoEtogN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Valeyard posted:

I just finished getting my haircut and was thinking of going to ALDIs to get some sandwich meat - my phone already has an active card telling me directions and 15 minutes to the store. Google ftw

I often forget how to get to places that I routinely visit as well.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
its not very good at voice recognition though, its pretty easy to get other peoples phones to activate using your voice, or it will start searching for stuff when it hears the tv

ZShakespeare posted:

I often forget how to get to places that I routinely visit as well.

the useful part is it telling you how long its going to take based on traffic at the time

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
It is important to be punctual when you have a meeting with your cold cuts.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

linux turdwall is haveing problems with google now https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/SfLtYoEtogN

Канат АмреновMay 8, 2013
Linus what do you think about bitcoin?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Blue Train posted:

doesn't location history have to be enabled for that to work and thus you are giving google your location constantly that they store a record of

like 3/4s of android services and android apps break if you turn off google location services.

which makes google's promise to introduce iOS style granular permissions control to android M even more hilarious.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just got my semi-annual hit up email from my dedicated google recruiter. last time she had me talk to a manager, which went well. when she followed up she said that they are interested but they don't place people in specific roles, they put you in a group and you move around. to which I said lol, no, I'm not a college student with no experience, and that was the last I heard of her.

the time previous we talked on the phone for 45 minutes like girlfriends about our hopes and dreams and then she said she couldn't find any jobs at google that match my experience, so I went on their website and found 5 in one minute and sent them to her. she never followed up.

the time before that she sent me some computer janitor req. so far off the mark that I had to try very hard not to laugh.

what exciting fuckery will it be this time? should I waste my time?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
have her text me

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

I just got my semi-annual hit up email from my dedicated google recruiter. last time she had me talk to a manager, which went well. when she followed up she said that they are interested but they don't place people in specific roles, they put you in a group and you move around. to which I said lol, no, I'm not a college student with no experience, and that was the last I heard of her.

the time previous we talked on the phone for 45 minutes like girlfriends about our hopes and dreams and then she said she couldn't find any jobs at google that match my experience, so I went on their website and found 5 in one minute and sent them to her. she never followed up.

the time before that she sent me some computer janitor req. so far off the mark that I had to try very hard not to laugh.

maybe you should try to blackmail her into giving you a job

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The Management posted:

waste your time, if only for the laughs it will provide to yospos. plus you never know google's got more money than they know what to do with they might even throw some of it at you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/googlephotos/status/603980040687063040

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximum Leader posted:

maybe you should try to blackmail her into giving you a job

why would I want to do that?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

why would I want to do that?

because you want to work at google I guess

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ice cream sandwich

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Last Chance posted:

ice cream sandwiches forever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kit Kat Bariatric

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

I just got my semi-annual hit up email from my dedicated google recruiter. last time she had me talk to a manager, which went well. when she followed up she said that they are interested but they don't place people in specific roles, they put you in a group and you move around.

theres a thing that the cj tech support ppl can do where theyre on a tour and switch offices every few months but thats all ive seen

for general hires the steps typically are:
- recruiter phone screen/placement
- 1-2 phone interviews
- full-day visit with 4-5 in-person interviews

then a committee goes over the results of the interviews and if you pass then you get put into a pool of new general hires:
- hiring managers go to the new hires pool to find people, and talk to the candidates theyre interested in
- the candidate picks the team they want to work on based on the managers that they talked to
or this is sidestepped if you have some specialized knowledge or a specific team that youre being hired into

ultimately if the starting team isnt working out you can transfer to another team which is intentionally very straightforward and people do it all the time (but its a bad idea for one person to hop around super often)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wow

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im the the one normal looking person who coincidentally has a macbook

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

“We’ve got these cameras in our pockets, we take them everywhere we go, and we thought that by taking all these pictures it would make it easier to relive the moment, but it’s made it harder,” Anil Sabharwal, who runs Photos at Google, told BuzzFeed News. “It’s 2015, we’ve got cars that drive themselves and drones that deliver packages, but the ability to save, organize, and share 20 photos with a group of friends is the unsolved problem of our time.”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pinterest Mom posted:

“We’ve got these cameras in our pockets, we take them everywhere we go, and we thought that by taking all these pictures it would make it easier to relive the moment, but it’s made it harder,” Anil Sabharwal, who runs Photos at Google, told BuzzFeed News. “It’s 2015, we’ve got cars that drive themselves and drones that deliver packages, but the ability to save, organize, and share 20 photos with a group of friends is the unsolved problem of our time.”

just put ur photos on facebook

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

i was in a room full of android developers watching this all like "cool, google just made icloud photo sharing"

the room was dead silent during the photos bit except for the part where they did the press and hold group select. we're def stealing that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Maybe he means "the ability to share 20 photos with a group of friends using Google products is the unsolved problem of our time."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

somebody sends me a picture in hangouts. i click on it. instantly, my hyperthreaded quad core i7 with 16GB of ram and PCI-E SSD springs into action. it only takes about 8 seconds for the Google Plus Photo Gallery to finish loading and finally display the image.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Sniep posted:

i cant tell if this is a real site or not

http://www.obamaphone.com/

It's a right wing propaganda site

look at the registration

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Tangra posted:

It's a right wing propaganda site

look at the registration

i have no idea what that is supposed to tell me

is "hyperbole media llc registered with godaddy" meaningful to LFers or something?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sniep posted:

is "hyperbole media llc registered with godaddy" meaningful to LFers or something?

IHateTheMedia "If We Didn't laugh, We'd Cry" is a conservative media blog by Hyperbole Media LLC out of California. Per their website, "Our goal at “I Hate the Media” is to point out all the bias and the blindness. All the lies and the lunacy. All the fakes and the phonies. All the morons and the myopic in the media and more." Registration is required to comment on their various stories. Six contributors and one editor have produced 6000 current-events stories in the news since January 2009.

http://www.conservapedia.com/IHateTheMedia.com

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

what he said

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

Sniep posted:

and it was just the tone of the site plus how lovely it was coded, the page reeks of web 2.0 webpage design template, it was a wild guess, and #wow #whoa lookie i was right

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ok so all the LF stuff aside, why would a conservative bias group be promoting obama's free phone agenda? rare bit of cross party cooperation?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sniep posted:

ok so all the LF stuff aside, why would a conservative bias group be promoting obama's free phone agenda? rare bit of cross party cooperation?

idk, enforcing the idea that obama gives away billions to welfare queens & lucky duckies. also the name obama phone sounds like banana phone so people giggle when they hear it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sniep posted:

conservatives sardonically attack their lord and savior reagan's program with dog-whistle racism thinking that obama implemented it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol is it a reagan program. then its literally to disassociate his name from the blasphemy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what started the recent haranguing over it was a black lady getting "interviewed" by some conservative guy with a camera saying obama got her a free cell phone during the 2012 election

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Snapchat A Titty posted:

lol is it a reagan program. then its literally to disassociate his name from the blasphemy

and expanded to cover cellphones by bush the lesser

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

android 5.2 diabetes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

siblings, or lovers?
you decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

THC posted:

somebody sends me a picture in hangouts. i click on it. instantly, my hyperthreaded quad core i7 with 16GB of ram and PCI-E SSD springs into action. it only takes about 8 seconds for the Google Plus Photo Gallery to finish loading and finally display the image.

your internet sucks, kill you're self parents isp

• Locked thread