Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

F. Lobot posted:

This is the state of Project M tournaments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnGMU30_lQ

I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the overall plight if many of the most vocal gamers who attach themselves to PM weren't so...bleh? To the point that a bunch of them honest to God seem like they don't know why modding is not only allowed on the PC by PC companies but also encouraged, yet is more or less forbidden on consoles. Like they unironically can't comprehend why a company that's still trying to sell proprietary hardware and software by itself in this day and age wouldn't want people messing with their things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

F. Lobot posted:

Most of the tournament was indoors! Shuffle VII also had Melee and Sm4sh singles/doubles. They had to shutdown by 7pm and the tournament ran a little long (mainly because every single bracket had to wait for M2K).

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the overall plight if many of the most vocal gamers who attach themselves to PM weren't so...bleh? To the point that a bunch of them honest to God seem like they don't know why modding is not only allowed on the PC by PC companies but also encouraged, yet is more or less forbidden on consoles. Like they unironically can't comprehend why a company that's still trying to sell proprietary hardware and software by itself in this day and age wouldn't want people messing with their things.

Yeah those are all valid points but at this point it's old hardware so there's no need to crack down on it.

It's in the same category as Nintendo claiming Youtube ad revenue. They don't understand how it all benefits them.

Glimm posted:

Most of the tournament was indoors! Shuffle VII also had Melee and Sm4sh singles/doubles. They had to shutdown by 7pm and the tournament ran a little long (mainly because every single bracket had to wait for M2K).

sssshhhhhhh I'm trying to cook a conspiracy.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

i like project m but lmfao this is hilarious

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

F. Lobot posted:

Good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The outdoor gf owned though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I played some SERIOUSLY Epic Project; M earlier today, like 3 hours worth. Mr. Game & Watch is seriously top 8 in that game even though no one plays him, down tilt and up B are bananas. Sad I couldn't make it to Shuffle but I'll take hours of casuals and not needing to drive four hours.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

Glimm posted:

As someone that's gotten into TOing recently I feel their pain. I mean people are gonna play multiple games but that's gotta suck when your timeline gets thrown off because you can only advance so far in certain brackets before you have to wait for someone to stop playing a different game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some people like items.

there's a whole IRC of people for that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yo wasn't there a lawsuit about this 35 years ago that basically came out as yes people can do whatever the gently caress they want with their Nintendos

E: Yes, it looks like there was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Sade posted:

Every time I've tried to hop in a match in for fun it's been unbearably laggy.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sade posted:

Every time I've tried to hop in a match in for fun it's been unbearably laggy.

depending on three strangers to not have poo poo connections is a dangerous game

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If everyone has an ethernet adaptor the game runs great, but it only takes that one guy...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Reiley posted:

If everyone has an ethernet adaptor the game runs great, but it only takes that one guy...
I don't have an ethernet adaptor and I rarely have lag in Smash Bros.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I don't have an ethernet adaptor and I rarely have lag in Smash Bros.

You have no idea what you're doing to people's inputs. Those poor fighters, dashgrabbing behind you and shielding too late for your projectiles...........

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

Link plz

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

i have one but i dont use it

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo wasn't there a lawsuit about this 35 years ago that basically came out as yes people can do whatever the gently caress they want with their Nintendos

E: Yes, it looks like there was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

It's not about Project M's existence, it's whether people can make money from it on Twitch/tourneys. Nintendo is challenging the latter.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

bef posted:

Link plz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00484IEJS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1432650080&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70

This is the one I use and it's pretty neat.

Also I finished my massive upload of replays from the past month in #goonsmash. If you for some reason haven't joined us yet maybe this will help convince you. We've got a pretty wide assortment of regulars and people they main, and some neat custom users as well. If I miscredited anyone let me know, I think I got everyone's name. If I played with you recently and you're not in the list, maybe next time! I tried to get as many folks as possible. You're all wonderful people and I love playing with you!

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 26, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash Brothers.... there are many kinds, if you think about it

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i want to play project m

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also Falcon Kick might go through it? I'm not sure about that one.

Captain Falcon can literally run straight through P.K. Fire a lot of the time because he pulls his legs up hard in his run animation and its very low to the ground.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zolthorg posted:

Captain Falcon can literally run straight through P.K. Fire a lot of the time because he pulls his legs up hard in his run animation and its very low to the ground.
Hahahaha loving Captain Falcon.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

zolthorg posted:

good

im glad

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

zolthorg posted:

I never even thought to do this but if it's true you are my favorite poster itt

e: as far as I can tell you can only do this as PK Fire gets to the edge of its range. could be useful, but probably not online.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 28, 2015

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

In Melee you could Raptor Boost through pretty much any projectile because he twisted his body almost entirely into the background.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Captain Falcon can mostly ignore pk fire by standing still and getting hit by it. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

sharrrk posted:

i want to play project m

And I want you to.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Aston posted:

Captain Falcon can mostly ignore pk fire by standing still and getting hit by it. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SmoBvg-etU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

And I want you to.

WHo is your favorite smash brother

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I think that everything that was in Smash 64 should be in all future Smash games. This includes fighters, stages, music, and game modes. Removing any of these things weakens the series as a whole. Also I really miss Saffron City.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

They should have continued with Melee's Adventure mode or Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharrrk posted:

Captain Amario

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dizz posted:

They should have continued with Melee's Adventure mode or Brawl's Subspace Emissary.
Mostly Melee's adventure mode, but yes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imagine Smash Run but without the battle at the end and you invert the timer and it becomes a survival score game, well that's my post.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Today I remembered that Smash Tour is actually really fun if (and only if) you have 4 human players.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

sharrrk posted:

Samus, always and forever.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

I bought this one and it's ridiculous how much of a difference it makes. It's like night and day if you're playing with another person who has it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My friend obsessed over Smash 4 when it was coming out. He would call in sick to work so he could watch Nintendo Directs that advertised they had details about Smash 4. He bought a Wii U and 3DS I think five or so months prerelease solely for playing Smash 4 alone, and didn't buy a single game for either system. Throughout that time, he refused to do anything online because he said he was "training" in Brawl.

When the 3DS version came out, he got angry whenever we talked about it around him because he didn't want any spoilers until the Wii U version came out, so he could buy both at the same time. When the Wii U version came out, he bought both and refused to play online for either version until he unlocked every character and stage for both. When he finally decided to play online with us, he played about three games or so, complained about how we were playing, and left. I just talked to him now and he says he's never touched the game since and that Smash 4 has turned him off of Smash Brothers forever. Also whenever the game comes up in a conversation, he speaks over us saying "I REALLY DON'T CARE!" until we stop, even if we weren't talking to him.

I don't understand how a person can get so obsessed over a simple thing, let alone just suddenly despise it so strongly, like somebody just flipped a switch in his head. I guess Smash Brothers just brings out the worst in people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

That's just fighting games in general. people get hype about it, realise they're godawful poo poo and don't want to put effort into improving, and get burned out real hard.

• Locked thread