Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Broken Cog posted:

You can challenge almost every single shopkeeper and blacksmith in the second zone and onwards. Additionally there will be "Experienced" Gwent players you can win unique cards from, you'll pick up the quest for these from a board in one of the main hubs.

The main story also has a few moments where it tries to get you to play Gwent. Witcher 3 really wants you to play Gwent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

You can challenge almost every single shopkeeper and blacksmith in the second zone and onwards. Additionally there will be "Experienced" Gwent players you can win unique cards from, you'll pick up the quest for these from a board in one of the main hubs.

its worth noting that the experienced players that you get good cards from are fairly easy while random blacksmith in bfe will gently caress your poo poo up on occasion

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The main story also has a few moments where it tries to get you to play Gwent. Witcher 3 really wants you to play Gwent.

I play Gwent instead of questing over my cold dead body, Witcher 3 :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What is it with recent open world RPGs and not having a stash at launch and also having a limit to carrying capacity? Dragon Age Inquisition did the same thing.

I'd be okay with it if I didn't have to hang onto all of my Witcher school gear in case I want to upgrade it one day. I could recraft it all from scratch, I guess, and that's probably what I'll do, but that feels... annoying. Just let me store my crap somewhere, game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Harrow posted:

What is it with recent open world RPGs and not having a stash at launch and also having a limit to carrying capacity? Dragon Age Inquisition did the same thing.

I'd be okay with it if I didn't have to hang onto all of my Witcher school gear in case I want to upgrade it one day. I could recraft it all from scratch, I guess, and that's probably what I'll do, but that feels... annoying. Just let me store my crap somewhere, game.

You can just drop it wherever, it won't despawn.
I recommend beside the signpost outside Crow's Perch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How the hell do I stop this from trying to download the patch every time I start it up (ps4)?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I read you get much less experience on Death March. While I noticed I didn't level at the same time I did on a lower difficulty I didn't think much of it. Does anyone know how much less and can you still hit max level on Death March?

Not entirely sure. Just finished the game with nearly every side quest and contract done and hit 35, if that helps.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Aaargh, this XP bug is driving me crazy. I'm not receiving any xp for main or sidequests at any level, same for my friends who play (though some can still get XP from sidequests). I don't want to keep playing without leveling (and would soon die from being underleveled anyway), but I just want to play and I have time off right now dammit.

I just hope they get a fix out soon, but with PS4 certification to go through I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up. Just hope it's not a week, or two, or anything like that.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Greenplastic posted:

Aaargh, this XP bug is driving me crazy. I'm not receiving any xp for main or sidequests at any level, same for my friends who play (though some can still get XP from sidequests). I don't want to keep playing without leveling (and would soon die from being underleveled anyway), but I just want to play and I have time off right now dammit.

I just hope they get a fix out soon, but with PS4 certification to go through I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up. Just hope it's not a week, or two, or anything like that.

Does that affect strictly the PS4 or are all versions suffering from this freak occurrence?

EDIT: How substantial is the experience gained from kills in respect to quests? Is it even worth it to stack experience boosting gear?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 29, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Few more questions!

Is there an inventory limit?

If so should I be saving only non-common alchemy ingredients?

What crafting mats are worth saving?

SO MANY ITEMS!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Few more questions!

Is there an inventory limit?

If so should I be saving only non-common alchemy ingredients?

What crafting mats are worth saving?

SO MANY ITEMS!

Crafting items doesn't really weigh anything. The things that'll weigh you down are mostly equipment and junk, remember to clear out those tabs every time you're in town.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I have an idea for the Aard symbol. Instead of it being useless when fighting flying creatures, maybe have it deal damage when the flying creatures crash to the ground? Give us some kind of advantage when using it. As it stands now, trying to fight the archgriffin with Aard, hybrid oil, and nothing else, all I can do is aard it down and watch in frustration as it lands harmlessly 39 feet away. By the time I dash up to it it's either on the move, lunging at me, or already flying again. Aard just doesn't provide enough of a benefit when fighting this thing, and the beastiary says it is weak to it. Not only that, this monster has an exaggerated reach when fighting, and with as buggy and impercise as combat is in this game, it's very hard to tell how far is a safe dodge. It usually takes a roll, which I take 98% damage, or two dodges which there isn't enough time.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Crafting items doesn't really weigh anything. The things that'll weigh you down are mostly equipment and junk, remember to clear out those tabs every time you're in town.

Oh, it's weight based? I didn't notice a weight limit. Thanks!

Also, I rebound dodge to mouse 7 and holy poo poo combat is so much easier! Took on a pack of dogs and didn't get hit at all! Whoever thought ALT was a good key bind should be forced to dodge a lion.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I read you get much less experience on Death March. While I noticed I didn't level at the same time I did on a lower difficulty I didn't think much of it. Does anyone know how much less and can you still hit max level on Death March?

As far as I can tell, difficulty doesn't actually do anything to XP.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Does that affect strictly the PS4 or are all versions suffering from this freak occurrence?

EDIT: How substantial is the experience gained from kills in respect to quests? Is it even worth it to stack experience boosting gear?

That particular XP bug affects all platforms on 1.04 where the bug was introduced.

XP gained from kills is very unsubstantial and not worth using boosts in my opinion. Most of your XP is going to come from quests and contracts.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ahahahahahahahahahahah holy loving poo poo!

I just got attacked by three bandits on their horses. So I used the knockback to get them off, and ran up to attack one, and since he was on the ground I just loving stabbed him the face.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahah holy loving poo poo!

I just got attacked by three bandits on their horses. So I used the knockback to get them off, and ran up to attack one, and since he was on the ground I just loving stabbed him the face.

Even better: Use Igni to make the horse throw him off!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Near as I can tell the XP bug hit me once I did my first quest that was grey to me. I just finished Count Reuven's treasure and got exactly 0 XP on it's conclusion. I think I've got about 12+ hours of gameplay I need to redo once the fix is out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I thought you could change the difficulty on the fly in the options. Is this not the case?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Hahaha I have been avoiding spoilers where possible, even the totally trivial ones, and just got to L20 and upgraded my cat armor. I didn't think I could love anything more than the Fonz t-shirt but the enhanced version is an honest to god tactical turtleneck.

I love this game so loving much.

e: also I am legit bad at games and BB&B is posing no problems, seriously stop playing it like a janky DkS or Arkham knockoff and listen to what the game is actually telling you to do, it is not a hard game and some of y'all are seriously misremembering how kludgy Souls combat can be in its own right.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 29, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Psiharis posted:

Hahaha I have been avoiding spoilers where possible, even the totally trivial ones, and just got to L20 and upgraded my cat armor. I didn't think I could love anything more than the Fonz t-shirt but the enhanced version is an honest to god tactical turtleneck.

I love this game so loving much.

And it looks fabulous. I can't believe anyone prefers Ursine over cat. Cat makes Geralt the prettiest Witcher.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Skelliga is such a breath of fresh air after Angry Town and Misery Forest. So pretty for real.

Dude Geralt you got it BAD for Yen, dial it back a little buddy!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Anti-Hero posted:

Near as I can tell the XP bug hit me once I did my first quest that was grey to me. I just finished Count Reuven's treasure and got exactly 0 XP on it's conclusion. I think I've got about 12+ hours of gameplay I need to redo once the fix is out.

I had read evidence that with or without the bug, grey quests net you 0 xp anyway. Cannot confirm this as I am still under level 5.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Macaluso posted:

Skelliga is such a breath of fresh air after Angry Town and Misery Forest. So pretty for real.

It's also nice that most of the people on Skellige revere Geralt and he's mentioned several times in their folktales. Quite the opposite from being the emotionless mutant freak on the Continent.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Relentlessboredomm posted:

And it looks fabulous. I can't believe anyone prefers Ursine over cat. Cat makes Geralt the prettiest Witcher.

I'm level 13 and have just headed over to get my hands on the plans now. No idea how to get into the tunnels under Temple Island though, wouldn't mind some tips if anyone has any.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crappers posted:

The long coats look way more bad rear end. Where can I start the Ursine Treasure Hunt? I have a couple pieces already but I think they are the enhanced versions.

It's summer though. :( Everyone's complaining about the heat and the flies.

Macaluso posted:

True story Geralt actually asked a wizard to cast a spell to make him even more whipped. Geralt doesn't like being happy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Early game spoiler: Walking the Baron back to the castle while he reluctantly holds his miscarried child at arms length is one of the most grimly funny things I've seen in a game.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 29, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I had read evidence that with or without the bug, grey quests net you 0 xp anyway. Cannot confirm this as I am still under level 5.

That's correct, however now most main story quests net me zero XP, even those I'm within +/- 6 levels of. I think it was triggered by doing a grey quest.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

another option for people who don't mind is continuing to play the game as normal then using a trainer to give yourself 1000xp for every 8 sidequests or something. Not quite cheating as its replacing what should hae ben given. That's what I did.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Memento posted:

I'm level 13 and have just headed over to get my hands on the plans now. No idea how to get into the tunnels under Temple Island though, wouldn't mind some tips if anyone has any.

I have the strategy guide (I never normally buy guides) and still had a hellish time getting there. It took several attempts even with these instructions and I'm not sure I could find it easily again, but here:

It is critical you find the passages from the Elector's Square signpost, rather than exploring the shoreline under this huge island rock, or you'll never find the entrance! From Elector's Square, head roughly west and northwest. You're looking for a clifftop stone path that winds precariously around the dwellings that face the sea. Carefully climb down the rocks go a subsequent grassy path, which takes you down and around to the cave entrance.

The quest from there is neat and the gear is pretty drat good until you start seeing Assassin gear (for me not until L17-18) at which point you're almost ready to upgrade cat gear anyway (L19 for weapons, 20 for armor).

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

First thirty seconds of this shows you how to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKP4Nr2SY8

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I heard there's a drunk barber in Novigrad somewhere that can give you a huge beard? Is this true, and if so, where is he?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

why, why why why does this loving game on PC feel like changing my fullscreen resolution to a tiny loving box in the middle of black nothingness twice a week. No idea how I even resolved this the first time so I guess I can't loving play right now til it decides to magically unfuck itself. poo poo is getting real old.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am level 14 doing the Hattori quest (way underleveled, yeah, I have a skull by the quest notifier on my screen) and i just got 4 xp for completing part of the quest :geno: Something is definitely hosed right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Memento posted:

Just use this: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-armor-cat-school-gear/

That one is a pain to figure out on your own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CalvinandHobbes posted:

another option for people who don't mind is continuing to play the game as normal then using a trainer to give yourself 1000xp for every 8 sidequests or something. Not quite cheating as its replacing what should hae ben given. That's what I did.
How do one of these work in this day in age, with steam and all that?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm now frustrated at the lovely combat of this game. This game plays just like an MMO where rather than combat being based around abilities, capabilities and player skill, it's just monsters being huge damage sponges that 2 hit you. It's just like WoW in that regard, where you'll find a ?? monster running around eastern Velen that has no business being there. The game was advertised in one of the promo videos as having 'no invisible walls to limit your exploration,' but rather than walls they use stupidly OP monsters that will just 1 shot you and never die no matter how good you are at the combat mechanics.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 29, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Reading this thread just now is the first I heard of the XP bug. I must not have noticed I wasn't getting XP or something. Now I'm scared to keep playing. Is this something that affects everyone in 1.04? Maybe I'm lucky?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm now frustrated at the lovely combat of this game. This game plays just like an MMO where rather than combat being based around abilities, capabilities and player skill, it's just monsters being huge damage sponges that 2 hit you. It's just like WoW in that regard, where you'll find a ?? monster running around eastern Velen that has no business being there.

This isnt the DA:I thread, sire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Just run man.