Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
on the other hand if you don't know de morgans laws you shouldn't be programming :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
if you can't quote the GNU General Public License verbatim you shouldn't be programming :rms2:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
is there anybody that should be programming, as opposed to working in a place where they can do some good for the world rather than help make rich people slightly richer?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have to do differential equations to make a scorched earth clone? holy poo poo gently caress that I'll go work on something else

just steal my code. no judging

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

calling a learning thing 'easy' is poisonous. it convinces struggling beginners that the fault is with them rather than the material.

basic calculus is simple. the ideas are clean and interact in a well-defined way. but basic calculus is not easy. 'easy' means is 'close to my previous experience'. the only people who find basic calculus easy are people who have studied calculus before.

thanks rich hickey

:agreed:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

simple != easy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

most of math is simple and elegant and horrifyingly hard

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

integral of term of form x^n is x^n+1 / n+1. x^2 becomes a third of x^3

derivative of term of form x^n is (n-1)x^(n-1) x^2 becomes x^1 which is x.

If you can't do this you shouldn't be a programmer.

please construct a proof demonstrating this. it doesn't have to be a perfect formal proof, but if needs to demonstrate that you understand how and why this works. you're not allowed to consult any external resources.

if you can't do this i'm going to get smythe to probe you.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

integral of term of form x^n is x^n+1 / n+1. x^2 becomes a third of x^3

derivative of term of form x^n is (n-1)x^(n-1) x^2 becomes x^1 which is x.

If you can't do this you shouldn't be a programmer.

please construct a proof demonstrating this. it doesn't have to be a perfect formal proof, but if needs to demonstrate that you understand how and why this works. you're not allowed to consult any external resources.

if you can't do this i'm going to get smythe to probe you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mods change my name to chode erat demonstrandum

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
rich hickey is a god

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like every opinion he has on programming is the opposite of awful

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
except he likes lisp, wtf is up with that

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

liking lisp correlates strongly with being a god

try acid sometime and you'll understand why lisp is god's language

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

HappyHippo posted:

just steal my code. no judging

this is cool and triggered my nostalgia

we played so many tank games when i was a kid. gorilla.bas, tank wars 3, dome wars, warheads se... :3:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

scorched earth probably claimed a year of my life. so good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

since unreal engine is unsuitable for this i wish xna wasn't dead so i could get farther than calculating shell trajectories

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lisp is nice

it's not useful, but that's a different matter

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

since unreal engine is unsuitable for this i wish xna wasn't dead so i could get farther than calculating shell trajectories

xna is dead? i wondered why i had to find some 3rd party code to get it installed on windows 8

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

xna is dead? i wondered why i had to find some 3rd party code to get it installed on windows 8

they killed xna in 2013. a shame as the c# directx wrappers are also dead iirc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

they killed xna in 2013. a shame as the c# directx wrappers are also dead iirc

so what are people supposed to use instead? unity only? opengl?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

so what are people supposed to use instead? unity only? opengl?

well, UE4 is free now which has killed everything else

unity is hosed in the long-term for various reasons

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i always forget you can write unity games using javascript

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
no they have a thing called unityscript which is even worse

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

suffix posted:

this is cool and triggered my nostalgia

we played so many tank games when i was a kid. gorilla.bas, tank wars 3, dome wars, warheads se... :3:

yeah scorched earth was awesome, i went to play it again but the interface wasn't great so i started working on a clone

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
good thing i learnt all that calculus so i can put an extra button on this web form and maybe do a database query of some sort lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

maybe do a database query of some sort lmao

i cant imagine any branch of mathematics that might make this more intuitive useful or powerful

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the general rule for differentiating polynomials comes from the binomial theorem in part
binomial theorem is how you get (a+b)^2=aa+ab+ba+bb and (a+b)^3=aaa+aab+aba+baa+bba+bab+abb+bbb
if you just start taking binomials to different powers and look for a pattern you will be able to construct the sum notation for the general binomial theorem.

limit definition of the derivative, the rate of change of a function at 1 point, is the limit as delta approaches 0 of [f(x + delta) - f(x)] / delta
if f(x) = x^n then it's [(x+delta)^n-x^n]/delta

the term of (x+delta)^n with x^n and delta^0 is just x^n and it cancels with the minus x^n
the term of (x+delta)^n with delta raised to the first power is n*x^(n-1)*delta and that divides with the delta and escapes the limit.
all the other terms have at least one additional factor of delta which is going to 0 so they all go to 0

thus you get that the limit as delta approaches 0 of x^n = n*x^(n-1)

for integrals it's a little trickier because the definition of the integral is a sum
I imagine the typing I just did on the derivative is lovely enough to read so I'll leave that alone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

i cant imagine any branch of mathematics that might make this more intuitive useful or powerful

what about category theory? database queries are basically morphisms from

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my boss told me he was the first engineer who's left where he thought it was a bad thing that they were leaving

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fleshweasel posted:

for integrals it's a little trickier because the definition of the integral is a sum
I imagine the typing I just did on the derivative is lovely enough to read so I'll leave that alone

Antidifferentiation doesn't have a general closed-form solution, but for polynomials it's sufficient to note that differentiating a polynomial gives us a polynomial, and we can do the same thing backwards to find an antiderivative that differentiates to our original function.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

what about category theory? database queries are basically morphisms from

:thejoke:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's been a while, but I recall there being some math in Codd's paper

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

don't make me get Malcolm XML to school you fools on some math

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1 + 1 = 1 on a bun

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

don't make me get Malcolm XML to school you fools on some math

but this is a good idea

Luigi Thirty posted:

1 + 1 = 1 on a bun

i think you mean 0.9999999... on a bun

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

the general rule for differentiating polynomials comes from the binomial theorem in part
binomial theorem is how you get (a+b)^2=aa+ab+ba+bb and (a+b)^3=aaa+aab+aba+baa+bba+bab+abb+bbb
if you just start taking binomials to different powers and look for a pattern you will be able to construct the sum notation for the general binomial theorem.

limit definition of the derivative, the rate of change of a function at 1 point, is the limit as delta approaches 0 of [f(x + delta) - f(x)] / delta
if f(x) = x^n then it's [(x+delta)^n-x^n]/delta

the term of (x+delta)^n with x^n and delta^0 is just x^n and it cancels with the minus x^n
the term of (x+delta)^n with delta raised to the first power is n*x^(n-1)*delta and that divides with the delta and escapes the limit.
all the other terms have at least one additional factor of delta which is going to 0 so they all go to 0

thus you get that the limit as delta approaches 0 of x^n = n*x^(n-1)

its a bit simplier if you take the exp() and ln() as given.

let n be in R, then

d/dx x^n = d/dx exp(ln(x^n)) = exp(ln(x^n))*(d/dx ln(x^n)) = exp(ln(x^n))*(d/dx n*ln(x)) = exp(ln(x^n))*(n/x) = x^n * n/x = n * x^(n-1)

but simpler, not easier.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i almost wish i had to do calculus or other math for my job, so i could justify how much money i make with LOOK AT THESE FUCKEN EQUATIONS

but as it turns out, programming requires none of that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
you can atleast roll bespoke bit transforms

• Locked thread