Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

You tip them. At least I do. Same with tow truck drivers and all service workers...

I thought part of Uber's gimmick was telling customers and drivers specifically not to tip or to accept tips, but I think tipping culture is too ingrained in the U.S. for that to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

You tip them. At least I do. Same with tow truck drivers and all service workers...

You are in the very small minority.

https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609a-43c5-82b5-b9c7de5ec073

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I don't tip them because it doesn't give me an option to with my card and I often have no cash left on my person while drunk enough to need uber.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Inept posted:

I thought part of Uber's gimmick was telling customers and drivers specifically not to tip or to accept tips, but I think tipping culture is too ingrained in the U.S. for that to fly.

You can tip in lyft. But it's a really hard option to find when you're really drunk.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That link says nothing about volume of tippers. I know 0 Uber users who don't tip - except a bunch of SA users (and I'm sure tons of other people, the same ones who don't tip other service workers), apparently!

You don't need to tip a waitress/waiter either. But you ought to.

I wonder if Mr Hummer quoted above calcs tips into his hourly (or per mile) calculations.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

That link says nothing about volume of tippers. I know 0 Uber users who don't tip - except a bunch of SA users (and I'm sure tons of other people, the same ones who don't tip other service workers), apparently!

I wonder if Mr Hummer quoted above calcs tips into his hourly (or per mile) calculations.

A waitress and Uber driver are not even remotely the same. Uber explicitly tells you to not tip.

I mean, if you want to waste your money, cool, but it's dumb and not at all expected.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can probably guarantee that mr Hummer driver is not taking taxes into account on those earnings

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I tip the Uber driver as I assume their life is literal hell and way worse than mine because there is no rational reason to have that job.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Not tipping Uber drivers is part of the point of Uber.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
People trying to create tipping systems where none exist drive me crazy. We have a nice thing going, don't create a horrible social obligation where none exists.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Foma posted:

People trying to create tipping systems where none exist drive me crazy. We have a nice thing going, don't create a horrible social obligation where none exists.

Get rid of the rest of the tipping while you're at it :can:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

I literally tip just about everyone 20%. I give the ones who serve me throughout the year huge Christmas bonuses. But I don't tip uber drivers (and know no one who does) because I always thought you just weren't supposed to and they would turn you down??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They go on the Internet and complain when they don't get tips. Seriously.

But you're right, uber discourages tipping.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Tipping uber drivers is Bad With Money

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I never know what to do at counter restaurants with no service (like a burrito place or something). They usually put a tip space on your receipt, but I feel bad not tipping and feel silly tipping my usual 15-20%.

What's proper?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pay with exact change.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

LeeMajors posted:

I never know what to do at counter restaurants with no service (like a burrito place or something). They usually put a tip space on your receipt, but I feel bad not tipping and feel silly tipping my usual 15-20%.

What's proper?

If they did not provide any service other than giving you food, why should you tip? If their cooks or counter people aren't making enough, charge more for the food.

Tipping in general is stupid, but I'm definitely not tipping someone that did nothing other than hand me a bag of food.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Bad with money trainwreck. What's worse with money: getting deeply into debt, giving away the free money, keeping the free money, or greenlighting this show?

Vox posted:

At the center of each episode of The Briefcase are two families, both of whom are deeply in debt and continuing to call themselves "middle class," when it's desperately clear that they're clinging to the absolute bottom rungs of that ladder with all their might. They, of all people, need help, and television is here to give them that help.

The idea of a TV show swooping in and giving someone from the middle or lower class a life-changing opportunity is the basis for much of reality television, to say nothing of the game shows and talent shows that gave birth to the genre. The old show Queen for a Day, in which housewives competed to have the saddest story so as to become the woman in the title, is not so very far removed from, say, Shark Tank, which lets entrepreneurs seek investment from successful business tycoons.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with any of this. There's a way to put people's hardships on television and offer a kind of inspirational uplift at the end, to suggest that if you work hard and do everything just right, you, too, might be gifted with a lot of money on a TV show. And The Briefcase gets one big thing right. It doesn't blame the families on the show for the dire straits they find themselves in, as too many shows in this subgenre do. (See: Lifetime's mercifully short-lived The Fairy Jobmother.)

The problem comes when the two families are essentially forced to compete to see who has the saddest story ... without even really knowing they're competing. At the episode's beginning, each family is given a briefcase with $101,000 in it. Of that money, $1,000 is spending money. But the other $100,000 is money that the family is told it can use in one of three ways. It can keep all of it, it can give some of it to another needy family, or it can give all of it to another needy family.

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8676579/the-briefcase-review-cbs

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

RussianBear posted:

Bad with money trainwreck. What's worse with money: getting deeply into debt, giving away the free money, keeping the free money, or greenlighting this show?

I hesitate to see how everyone presented with a hundred large doesn't just say thanks and shove it all in their pocket. Who gives a poo poo about some people that may or may not even be real? If you are really in the giving mood, send 10% to a charity of your choice so you know it is actually going to get to someone that's is absolutely guaranteed not to be a construct of a TV network and call it a day.

As for the greenlighting, The Briefcase attracted the largest number of eyeballs for last night. So far, that seems to be a good with money decision, but we'll see how much of that audience it holds next week.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It's like a reversed prisoner's dilemma - there's no reason to be anything but greedy in this case.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

The Mandingo posted:

It's like a reversed prisoner's dilemma - there's no reason to be anything but greedy in this case.

The show seems to rely on them being so bad with money that they give it to the "other" poor family, still in denial that they themselves are actually poor.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

cowofwar posted:

Depending on where you live you often don't need a pre-nup to protect pre-existing assets anyways. And a pre-nup wont allow you to make arrangements regarding common property or shared assets anyways since divorce law will trump any pre-nup. So basically it is generally more of a memorandum of understanding in most places.
This varies greatly by state. Consult your friendly family law attorney for your own state's details.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Mandingo posted:

Except all the reasons that motivate charity, really.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

I hesitate to see how everyone presented with a hundred large doesn't just say thanks and shove it all in their pocket. Who gives a poo poo about some people that may or may not even be real? If you are really in the giving mood, send 10% to a charity of your choice so you know it is actually going to get to someone that's is absolutely guaranteed not to be a construct of a TV network and call it a day.

Protip: most of the money donated to charities actually goes towards running the charity itself, or similar overhead expenses.

If you really want to change someone's life, I'd suggest Watsi, which actually funnels 100% of your donation to the recipient.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Just look at GiveWell if you want to min/max your charity effectiveness.

I feel like there was some other one with a similar mission, that some poker pros were pushing, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RussianBear posted:

Not the first time the basic concept has existed.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

RussianBear posted:

The show's entire premise requires the audience to be financially illiterate and fail to understand systems. If people think a one time $60k post-tax windfall is going to elevate a family out of poverty, they're as stupid as I think they are.

Temporarily embarrassed middle class.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/37p03q/debt_my_husbandtobe_and_i_are_falling_apart_under/

the perfect storm posted:

Last Fall, we started to budget for the first time. We were actually making some decent headway (I was able to pay off a 2k credit card) until he proposed. Then things sort of went out the window, as we picked a wedding date only 6 months away.

We didn't want a huge, extravagant wedding, but even a "modest" one by most standards is still in the 10k-15k range. Luckily our parents did help a little with that endeavor. We actually get married in less than a month, and unfortunately, have spent a lot of time bemoaning the fact that we didn't elope or have a smaller wedding just due to the sheer amount of money that goes into it.

I would estimate that we have about 60k in debt, including both of our student loans (neither of us graduated), both of our car payments, credit card debt (mostly wedding-related, around 6 or 7 k) , and normal living expenses. Thankfully we recently moved into an apartment that is about $100 cheaper with central heat, so our day-to-day expenses are very minimal.

However, if this wasn't enough, I also had to have a surgery recently. This loped on about another 5k in medical bills, give or take. Add to this the fun of trying to conceive within the next year (medically necessary if we want kids), and we're about ready to crack under the pressure.

I'm so frustrated because I want so badly to be debt-free, so we don't live like either of our parents. We both wanted a house by next April (okay, or sometime reasonable, like the next few years), but I really don't think that is going to happen. Saving 20% for that down payment is obviously optimal.

I guess, in my very long-winded way, what I'm trying to ask is: what would you do? Where do I start? HOW do I start?!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I'd like to know what medical condition one of them has that set the 1 year time limit to have a baby.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

I'd like to know what medical condition one of them has that set the 1 year time limit to have a baby.

endometriosis, says in one of the lower posts. God I hate reading reddit.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

FormatAmerica posted:

endometriosis, says in one of the lower posts. God I hate reading reddit.

That's pretty lovely, but that answers the other question I had as to why the wedding was so rushed, I'm guessing it was to make sure they could conceive in wedlock.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
May seemed to be a strong month, what with the increasing the overall household debt by about 1k. :wtc:

edit: Nice, car shopping on payment as well and a 7% car loan on what I assume is a new vehicle.

quote:

Remembering back to the whole car-buying process, I wanted to keep the payments closer to $200 but it "wasn't possible" and I foolishly really wanted the car despite that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 29, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

Thanks for the tips. Although it was my understanding that houses aren't necessarily debt...? Not that I think we're in any position to really be looking at houses... it's merely a pipe dream at this point.

Man, financial literacy in this country is just tragic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bad with money: going to a Hooters enough to establish a close "friendship" with a waitress. Or is it?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Houses are not debt but mortgages are. It all depends upon how much the house is worth versus the mortgage. Having a mortgage of $X is different than having a credit card or personal loan for $X.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Houses are not debt but mortgages are. It all depends upon how much the house is worth versus the mortgage. Having a mortgage of $X is different than having a credit card or personal loan for $X.

You're right but I'm sure OP thinks "houses aren't debt, they're an investment!!"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Your home is a liability not an asset or investment. Treating it any other way is bwm.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Pretty sure a house gives a stream of cash flows in the form of imputed rent.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Your home is a liability not an asset or investment. Treating it any other way is bwm.
But they're not making more land! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Not squatting in an abandoned foreclosure is bad with money.

• Locked thread