Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

death .cab for qt posted:

Flying J and Love's are both good ones

I love Flying J. Get a slice of pizza, a cup of coffee, a CB radio and a shower at 0530? NO PROBLEM!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

You Are A Elf posted:

Some items I've seen gas station keys attached to over the years:

feather duster
old 1920s monkey wrench
small frying pan
flyswatter
scissors
giant novelty nail cutters
a beat up Converse shoe
In what universe would there possibly be any use for giant novelty nail cutters? I'm seriously racking my brain and coming up blank.

And how the hell would you end up owning a pair? :confused:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hyperhazard posted:

In what universe would there possibly be any use for giant novelty nail cutters? I'm seriously racking my brain and coming up blank.

And how the hell would you end up owning a pair? :confused:

You attach your keys to it so people don't forget to return them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

In what universe would there possibly be any use for giant novelty nail cutters?

e: making off with the gas station bathroom keys was how you got a metal file in Sam & Max.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 08:30 on May 23, 2015

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

hyperhazard posted:

In what universe would there possibly be any use for giant novelty nail cutters?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So speaking of horrible marketing decisions, within two days every Hess gas station has become a Speedway gas station due to the company being purchased.

For those who don't know, Hess was a big gas station chain in the Pennsylvania area that was pretty famous for their toy Hess trucks that they would release at Christmas time. They were major collectors items and they actually released a limited run 50th anniversary collectors truck this year.

Not anymore though. Speedway bought them, and immediately changed every station from green to red and changed all of the signs. People where I live are pretty pissed an are actively avoiding the Speedways. Oh and several stations fired all of their Hess employees and made them reapply for their old job.

Edit: apparently I was wrong and the Hess trucks will still be sold online only. The new company rebranding and not doing any sort of tie in with the established toys seems like a poor marketing decision to me though.

jadebullet has a new favorite as of 19:37 on May 23, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jadebullet posted:

So speaking of horrible marketing decisions, within two days every Hess gas station has become a Speedway gas station due to the company being purchased.

For those who don't know, Hess was a big gas station chain in the Pennsylvania area that was pretty famous for their toy Hess trucks that they would release at Christmas time. They were major collectors items and they actually released a limited run 50th anniversary collectors truck this year.

Not anymore though. Speedway bought them, and immediately changed every station from green to red and changed all of the signs. People where I live are pretty pissed an are actively avoiding the Speedways. Oh and several stations fired all of their Hess employees and made them reapply for their old job.

Edit: apparently I was wrong and the Hess trucks will still be sold online only. The new company rebranding and not doing any sort of tie in with the established toys seems like a poor marketing decision to me though.

It seems like one of those corporate ego things. "Burn down the old and mark it with our brand" isn't that uncommon. Some companies are just petty as poo poo and would rather slash and burn then just let an acquisition operate under its own name and all that changes is the management structure.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

jadebullet posted:

I don't think gas stations give a poo poo about marketing, good or bad, although I agree firing people and making them reapply is pretty lovely. People being pissed off about a gas station being red instead of green is a little #WhiteWhine though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's other reasons to hate Speedway marketing though.

Speedway has a loyalty card which the employees are required to ask for with every transaction. If you don't have one they're supposed to ask if you want one. After the loyalty stuff they're supposed to suggest the candy of the month to you. And then after all that they can take your money.

The card scan rates and the candy of the month totals are tracked and if they don't hit a certain quota the employee gets bitched at and is supposed to get wrote up.

Oh and did I mention Speedway doesn't condone alcohol or tobacco so your loyalty card is worthless for everything except Tourney (Speedway brand) cigarettes? Because the customer gets nothing for taking the time to enter in their card for tobacco/alcohol purchases yet those count against employees.

Working at a Speedway comes with zero benefits as an employee (at least in 2010) you still have to pay for fountain drinks, coffee, hot water, and ice. You can get a Speedway loyalty card though. But be careful because if your card gets too much use in a day it trips a thing back in Enon, Ohio and you can get investigated and then fired for fraud.

It's miserable and gently caress awful to work for and I don't recommend it. During the Superbowl 2011 the district manager demanded three pizzas on the rotating pizza rack during the entire game. I worked in an area with East of Chicago, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Dominos, and a couple independent places. loving nobody wanted pizza. But we had to waste 12 that night.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hess was the also the only gas station that had a free air pump for tires. They were all replaced with ones that charge $1.50 and accept credit cards :smith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"They already make a drink like that: Soylent Cola."

"Oh? How's it taste?"

"It varies from person to person."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jadebullet posted:

Its funny you mention that. I had a Hess truck as a kid and it was pretty cool, and I never even knew who Hess was.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just saw this commercial for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0DccT7MZ4

I don't think they understand why other mascots are cute or endearing.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If that thing walked into a restaurant and started talking like that, the screaming would never end. They should just stop pussyfooting around and get Pennywise or Captain Spaulding to be the company mascot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Super Waffle posted:

Hess was the also the only gas station that had a free air pump for tires. They were all replaced with ones that charge $1.50 and accept credit cards :smith:

Holy hell and I thought 50 cents was a ripoff. It's free at Sheetz and GetGo here.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

DR. CRANE: The economy has been hard on us all...

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Not remotely as creepy as the CG Laughing Cow commericals (:nms:)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

Not remotely as creepy as the CG Laughing Cow commericals (:nms:)

Do you get scared by children's cartoons as well? That wasn't creepy at all.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Do you get scared by children's cartoons as well? That wasn't creepy at all.

I didn't think the scarecrow was that creepy either, unless your point was that he was boring instead of unsettling.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

I didn't think the scarecrow was that creepy either, unless your point was that he was boring instead of unsettling.

Motherfucker has dead button eyes and a muppet mouth but a normal human body and a regular human, non-cartoony voice. I don't know how that isn't unsettling. The cow is just some low budget Dreamworks character.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

We'll just have to agree to disagree on what corporate mascots give us night terrors. :sigh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Super Waffle posted:

WaWa does that. Plus free ATMs and great sandwiches.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FutonForensic posted:

Some people just seem to have an innate phobia of anything coming close to the uncanny valley in any way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Motherfucker has dead button eyes and a muppet mouth but a normal human body and a regular human, non-cartoony voice. I don't know how that isn't unsettling. The cow is just some low budget Dreamworks character.

Do you think The Wizard of Oz is a horror movie?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Dude in the wizard of oz is clearly a man in face paint with normal person eyes, not dead button eyes. In not afraid of that ad but it's clear why some might find it creepy.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I agree. The average scarecrow is scary in it's inhuman, uncanny facsimile. It's disproportionate to an actual human being, it's too long, too short, too tall, too skinny, uncomfortably lumpy, etc. A walking talking, non-Oz scarecrow is inhuman, and seemingly sinister. It's like all reality has just gone wrong.

The cow is just a cartoon character. It's not supposed to be human, and barely supposed to be a cow. Plus, it's designed to be appealing (somewhat) to humans, with 'cute' characteristics. It's as scary as a soccer mom.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The cow is just a cartoon character. It's not supposed to be human, and barely supposed to be a cow. Plus, it's designed to be appealing (somewhat) to humans, with 'cute' characteristics. It's as scary as a soccer mom.

It'd be a bit creepier if they showed some of the less... Survivable products.
I don't know if it's the same company, but around here, a meat-brand also had a talking cow as their mascot, advertising steak and the like in the usual overly-cheerful way - which seemed creepy to me, at least, in a 'meet the meat' kinda sense.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

What's weird to me about the Laughing Cow is that it's a dairy product mascot, but it has no udder.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Could be worse. Like Nickelodeon's Barnyard property, where the boy cow that's the central character has udders as well as the girls.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

What's weird to me about the Laughing Cow is that it's a dairy product mascot, but it has no udder.

Oh, I'm sure you can find something to milk if you look hard enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

aerion111 posted:

It'd be a bit creepier if they showed some of the less... Survivable products.
I don't know if it's the same company, but around here, a meat-brand also had a talking cow as their mascot, advertising steak and the like in the usual overly-cheerful way - which seemed creepy to me, at least, in a 'meet the meat' kinda sense.

The burger chain Grill'd is even worse. These were all I could find on Google, but some of the cow and chicken cartoons they have on the walls are far weirder. Good burgers though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Choco1980 posted:

Could be worse. Like Nickelodeon's Barnyard property, where the boy cow that's the central character has udders as well as the girls.

And you use your udders to squirt milk at other characters in the game.

Which makes it look horribly like a bukakke game aimed at 8 year olds.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Super Waffle posted:

What he'll scape do you live in that paid air pumps are even a thing?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

America, land of the free, where you have to pay even for your air.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Lord of Hats posted:

I work in the middle of nowhere and there's a gas station across the street from my office that has a paid air pump and I was really annoyed to find that out because that station's prices are generally higher than the ones near where I live and there aren't any paid air pumps near where I live either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ohio

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Where are you that they're still free? I haven't seen a free air pump in years.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

The burger chain Grill'd is even worse. These were all I could find on Google, but some of the cow and chicken cartoons they have on the walls are far weirder. Good burgers though.

Could they pander any loving harder? Jesus.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Karma Monkey posted:

I'm guessing those barely visible nipple-things where the udders should be are a sort of compromise. But when you watch the video, notice that the udder region is always obscured or out of shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

America, land of the free, where you have to pay even for your air.