Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yo YE shut the Time 100 GALA DOWN!!!!

poo poo WAS LIT!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

bows1 posted:

Mad I missed this

A crowd of white people yelling "nigga"?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

A crowd of white people yelling "nigga"?

No, you had to pay 375 dollars for that privilege

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
A man of enormous--illegal--ambition. I read the tarot for him. I had no idea what he wanted.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U7Qdc2ggPHc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bring back good rear end job.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Nothing about "Only One" or "Wolves" says SWISH to me, but whatever.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

incoherent posted:

bring back good rear end job.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I haven't really listened to Kanye West that much until now.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is honestly one of the best albums I've ever heard. God drat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is honestly one of the best albums I've ever heard. God drat.

Yeezus is also amazing, for totally different reasons.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

It's.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ye has at least one more classic album in him but it's probably a decade away

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

It's hard to find a favorite song on that masterpiece, but Devil In A New Dress continues to blow me away like nothing else.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

It's hard to find a favorite song on that masterpiece, but Devil In A New Dress continues to blow me away like nothing else.

I like Runaway more it's just so beautiful and heartbreaking that single piano note intro. And Pusha T's verse just playing the scummiest of scumbags.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

LionYeti posted:

I like Runaway more it's just so beautiful and heartbreaking that single piano note intro. And Pusha T's verse just playing the scummiest of scumbags.

I liked hearing Pusha talk about how he was just kinda writing the same old rap verse for it and Kanye kept pushing him in that direction, like "no man, you gotta be scummy, you gotta be the douchebag" and out comes "24/7, 365, pussy stays on my mind"

To Stalins Moustache, that album can be a hell of a gateway drug. Kanye's poo poo pretty much all owns

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ye, runaway and all of the lights, pretty much perfect. POWER rules too. whole album is superb.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
every song on that album has been my favorite at one point or another

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
MBDTF is a masterpiece pretty much. Nikki minaj's awful british accent is forgiven.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
MBDTF is the most overrated album, after To Pimp a Butterfly.
come fight me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

temple posted:

come fight me

lol

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

RTJ exists

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

LionYeti posted:

I actually cried singing along to runaway once. Like a really bad ugly-cry. Still, me and Devil in a new dress have history, man.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

come fight me

Why dont you like mbdtf temple? :ohdear:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Why dont you like mbdtf temple? :ohdear:
Its good but overrated. Its too hokey, not hiphop enough.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That's a fair criticism. For me it was kind of a turning point in how i felt about kanye as an individual. I had always thought his music was pretty good but didnt care much for his various outbursts and whatnot. Mostly i think mbdtf gave me some necessary perspective and i came to really respect ye as the uniquely talented individual he is and i look back on everything else he does outside of music much more favorably now :shrug:

Anyway. It is up there on the hype tier so if it didnt resonate with you on some kind of deeper level it makes sense to find it overrated.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

MBDTF was a grand hiphop album but I think its too self-indulgent even for Kanye. The endless features and influences made it critical bait. If his budget was 2 million, he probably spent 4. The tracklisting was strong but the overall effect was overwhelming. I've listened to it several times, still listen to it occasionally, and some of it just doesn't hit. What's the point of having all the features if they don't stand out? Nicki stood out more than anyone else and that's the reason why self-indulgent albums are flawed. It doesn't take all that, it just becomes audio mush. To me, hiphop at its best is stripped down rhythm and thoughts and MBDTF the opposite. Not bad but not my ideal. Obviously it was other people's ideal and I disagree with that.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it doesn't really align at all with my usual tastes/tendencies either when it comes to music (ie. i dont generally go for the maximalist poo poo either). to be much more critical of it now: i'll also concede jay-z's verse should have been straight up cut from monster, so appalled i usually skip, i THINK personally I would have liked it better without any of the justin vernon or whatever the bon iver dude is called stuff. it's the standout features from pusha t, nicki minaj, and to a lesser extent rick ross that mostly get talked about. the rest aren't very memorable.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

I liked hearing Pusha talk about how he was just kinda writing the same old rap verse for it and Kanye kept pushing him in that direction, like "no man, you gotta be scummy, you gotta be the douchebag" and out comes "24/7, 365, pussy stays on my mind"

To Stalins Moustache, that album can be a hell of a gateway drug. Kanye's poo poo pretty much all owns

Yeah and Pusha being so blunt, basically you can accept that I'm gonna constantly cheat on you and you can shop or drink your emotional pain away or you can leave and go back to whatever you were before I met you. One of the best guest features on a verse excepting Kendrick on Control.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Any news on Kanye's new album? Truth to the rumour about it being released around same time as release of Apple Music - June 6?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Based on the guy's recent feats we're another year or so away from crying out for another MBDTF though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That's his best album and he probably won't top it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New album is gonna be :mediocre:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MBDTF was :perfect:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mbdtf and yeezus sound like albums he didnt want to make while his mom was still alive. I have no idea if its true but the vibe hits me like that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:madmax:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
To me Mbdtf sounds like exactly what he wanted to make. It has everything but the kitchen sink, in a great way.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeezus is amazing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
1:30:00 - mix of kanye songs / features / production.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/mixtape-monday-raydar-ellis-kanye-west-birthday.html/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What do you think Yeezy did for Father's Day?

• Locked thread