Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah. The damage should not be based on the monster's HP especially considering that while burning it stops attacking. Against that fiend I was talking about earlier each tick was doing something insane like 2000 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Nakar posted:

One thing that's a bit weird about the dodge is you don't seem to have iframes but attacks have really strict hitboxes so you can dodge slightly into a bear's shoulder and its swipe will completely miss you, but trying to dodge away from it keeps you inside the hitbox which is larger than the animation.

Also as far as I can tell that skill that makes you not take damage when dodging doesn't work.

it seems like dodge has an iframe or two but rolling doesnt have any in my experience

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

Anything that is capable of burning is trivialised by Igni if you have high sign intensity (if you have the alt. Igni skill they are even more trivialized).

Yeah. I tried not to abuse it too much. Igni and even Aard really trivialized some fights, even on death march.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arglebargle III posted:

Read the bestiary, he's unblockable and too fast for normal dodge to get away from.

I have to remember to do this more often, and not just checking for vulnerabilities.

I'm quite enjoying most of the Witcher contract monsters, they're a decent level of tune at the moment (level 13) where figuring out how to kill them is as much fun, to me, as the fights themselves. Except for the Shrieker outside Crow's Nest, that was kind of a meh fight as long as you remembered to roll, not dodge, out of the way of the swoop.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yikes! This game don't play with monsters. I took a notice board quest to kill Jenny o Woods and she's level 10! ...I'm level 4. Was I supposed to do a significant amount of side quest leading into getting here or is it meant to be like this so you have reasons to come back later?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so is the velen person in distress event bugged? i'm almost positive that no key ever spawned for his cage and he's perfectly happy to sell me things through the bars.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yikes! This game don't play with monsters. I took a notice board quest to kill Jenny o Woods and she's level 10! ...I'm level 4. Was I supposed to do a significant amount of side quest leading into getting here or is it meant to be like this so you have reasons to come back later?

The latter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So what exactly is going on in the Drowner peen region? :cthulhu:

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

So what exactly is going on in the Drowner peen region? :cthulhu:

You're the one gettin down and dirty, you tell us?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PoultryHammock posted:

Geralt is just being thorough with that quest objective. Can YOU be sure dat crotch isn't what has been killing people in the fog?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
>Throw baby in furnace

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PoultryHammock posted:

I can't tell you what it is. Only how it feels.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Geralt is just being thorough with that quest objective. Can YOU be sure dat crotch isn't what has been killing people in the fog?

The more important question is, can I hack it off in slow mo while in combat?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I'm to the quest where I'm looking for this guy named Craven with Yennifer. Every time I get to this scene where they're talking by a tree, it either crashes the game, or cuts to black and I have to force a restart. I've checked my card temps and I'm not overheating or any other hardware issue. On a Nvidia 970, all the current drivers, 1.04 of the game. Any ideas?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Gwent is great! I stomp all over these shop keepers and since I'm always poor 10 extra gold here and there is actually super useful.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheJoker138 posted:

So I'm to the quest where I'm looking for this guy named Craven with Yennifer. Every time I get to this scene where they're talking by a tree, it either crashes the game, or cuts to black and I have to force a restart. I've checked my card temps and I'm not overheating or any other hardware issue. On a Nvidia 970, all the current drivers, 1.04 of the game. Any ideas?

Overclocking? The game is rather sensitive about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Overclocking? The game is rather sensitive about it.

Nope, stock. I've been playing for at least a dozen hours before this and had literally no problems, too. It just started doing this today.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a 970 as well and the game is just like that. It'll run without a problem for hours, and then it will suddenly start crashing, particularly at the same spot in a dialogue or something. In my desperation I downgraded to the last non-gameready drivers and it seems I traded a bit of performance for stability.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Weird, I just disable my overclock, get past the point and turn the overclock back on.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

One thing that's a bit weird about the dodge is you don't seem to have iframes ...

There's a skill (third in the red defense line) that makes you take up to 100% less damage during a dodge.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

I have a 970 as well and the game is just like that. It'll run without a problem for hours, and then it will suddenly start crashing, particularly at the same spot in a dialogue or something. In my desperation I downgraded to the last non-gameready drivers and it seems I traded a bit of performance for stability.

How do I roll back drivers? I've never had to do it before.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I was hoping to get emerald dust from the wraiths by the crypt in White Orchard, and it looked like they were just vanishing right before they died. I reloaded a few times, and "killing" the one by the place of power basically entails it vanishing and dropping nothing, every time. Am I doing something wrong?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elysiume posted:

I was hoping to get emerald dust from the wraiths by the crypt in White Orchard, and it looked like they were just vanishing right before they died. I reloaded a few times, and "killing" the one by the place of power basically entails it vanishing and dropping nothing, every time. Am I doing something wrong?

The crypt door opens up after that and you have to finish fighting it in the crypt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

You need to actually go into the settings for the device in Windows (this is for Windows 7, no idea about other OS) so hit Windows Key+Pause/break to open System, hit Device Manager at the top left, open the tree with your display adapter in it, right-click>properties, driver tab at the top and then the third button down should be Rollback Driver.

Honestly though, I've had issues with the game crashing at a very distinct spot each time, like running out of town in Downwarren at a certain time of day will hardlock me. I just save the game before I do that, quit to desktop and restart, and it has never not worked after that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

The :airquote:dirty:airquote: way is to run the installer of the older driver and just go. The other way is to use a driver cleaner (like DDU) and install the older driver fresh.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Haha! I just came across one of those yellow "!" quests right after the resolution of Skellige's ruler/bear massacre event it involves you trying your damnedest to thoroughly piss off a druid. You get a nice Gwent card out of it. Iorveth

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I had some crashing for a particular side quest and came back to it after a few other quests and it loaded up fine. This game has really weird inconsistent crashing for me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh wish they'd just roll back to 1.03.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoo06 posted:

Haha! I just came across one of those yellow "!" quests right after the resolution of Skellige's ruler/bear massacre event it involves you trying your damnedest to thoroughly piss off a druid. You get a nice Gwent card out of it. Iorveth

I tried to do that quest but I couldn't interact with anything. The prompt never appeared. Also have an issue with the weapon smith in Crach's castle where his talk prompt sometimes doesn't show up. :iiam:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Finally crossed the river into Novigrad, and finally noticed pop-up being an issue. Ran so fast into a camp that instead of gradually seeing more soldiers, literally 40 soldiers appeared out of nowhere at once. Also I tried out banging prostitutes, and although i don't get sweet trading cards, I found out it gives you experience points.

GOTY

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

"Bear. Bear. Run you stupid piece of poo poo."

GOTY all years

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is the quest bug thing a big enough deal to not play the game until it's fixed?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

rabidsquid posted:

The crypt door opens up after that and you have to finish fighting it in the crypt
So that is the same wraith? He didn't seem to drop anything the first time I killed him in there. Maybe it dropped somewhere weird; I'll try again tomorrow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nasgate posted:

Finally crossed the river into Novigrad, and finally noticed pop-up being an issue. Ran so fast into a camp that instead of gradually seeing more soldiers, literally 40 soldiers appeared out of nowhere at once. Also I tried out banging prostitutes, and although i don't get sweet trading cards, I found out it gives you experience points.

GOTY

Exact same thing for me the first time I saw the Redanian army. Swam out of the river into what looked like an abandoned fortification complete with spikes across the road to stop horses and all of a sudden the place is swarming with the heat.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"Bear. Bear. Run you stupid piece of poo poo."

GOTY all years

Oh god I just did his minutes ago. Gonna be giggling for weeks

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I tried to do that quest but I couldn't interact with anything. The prompt never appeared. Also have an issue with the weapon smith in Crach's castle where his talk prompt sometimes doesn't show up. :iiam:

There were actually 2 exclamation marks in that area. There's one by a cave, which is where I did this quest, and one guy not far away which wouldn't trigger when I talked to him either.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

man I think I hit endgame and I gotta say, gently caress Emhyr. rear end in a top hat is no help whatsoever.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Is the quest bug thing a big enough deal to not play the game until it's fixed?

I'm definitely not feeling as enthusiastic playing right now since I could be crippling myself. A lot of my quests are "green" so if I can't get any exp from those I surely won't try to tackle them now. I may try to do some exploring question marks and/or scavenger hunts. So far I'm not sure if the bug affects "red" quests and main quests too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Not mine but uh....

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not mine but uh....

:stare:

So what you're saying you've never rode a horse before? This is normal.