Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Well anyway back to competition among cars people actually care about, VW is hitting back at all those Chrysler commercials that specially call out VW by name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkvGoUo46c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPEM-_b3eu8

You mean the part at the end of the commercial where the mom went WOT on the vacuum cleaner diesel engine to slowly pass a Charger? Yeah, way to put your balls on the table, VW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

El Scotch posted:

Has anyone driven a 2015 Charger yet? How did you find it? (interior and driving qualities)

I drove a 2015 Challenger and quite liked it. Interior is eons better than the previous year. Charger has nearly the same interior (slightly different). The R/T 6-speed I drove felt heavy and had poor sightlines (expected) but felt great considering.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KillHour posted:

You mean the part at the end of the commercial where the mom went WOT on the vacuum cleaner diesel engine to slowly pass a Charger? Yeah, way to put your balls on the table, VW.

"America's Best Selling Diesel Brand"- VW is really trying to get consumers excited. :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All I see is two commercials for overly expensive, unreliable sedans, one which is fast and one which is fuel efficient. The practical families will have already tuned these adverts out, comfortable in their purchases of a Prius or Mazda 3 hatch, or rather won't have seen them anyway because the only tv they watch is PBS.

:smug::smug::smug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

fknlo posted:

The GT350 will most likely smoke the new SS because it's a whole level above it. Ford will have really hosed up if it doesn't anyway. I'm sure Chevrolet will have an answer for it, but it'll probably be a couple years.

Well, the SS is more comparable to the GT so I'd hope the hopped up version of the Mustang is better than the standard SS. But since their new GT isn't even faster than the old 1LE, who knows. :v:

I hope the new GT350 engine is decent and lives up to the internet's expectations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

fknlo posted:

The GT350 will most likely smoke the new SS because it's a whole level above it. Ford will have really hosed up if it doesn't anyway. I'm sure Chevrolet will have an answer for it, but it'll probably be a couple years.

I'm most interest in GT350 vs z28. That seems like a more even match up to me.

Thomas Lear
May 27, 2015
Why have 4 wheels when you can have 6? Last one sold for around $975k I believe. 5 diffs and a poo poo ton of horsepower.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/19/mercedes-g63-amg-6x6-is-sold-out/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sadi posted:

I'm most interest in GT350 vs z28. That seems like a more even match up to me.

I think the R is going to be the competition for the Z/28. Which will then give the next Z/28 a benchmark to beat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Has anyone driven a 2015 Charger yet? How did you find it? (interior and driving qualities)

I have a 2015 Challenger (Scat Pack), and the 2015 Charger (SRT) drives and feels very similar, although not exactly the same. I slightly like the Challenger layout inside more, and the Charger suspension feels a little smoother and less "in touch" with the road than that of the Challenger. I have a 6 speed Challenger, and appreciate the 8 speed in the Charger a great deal, although I'd never own one because I love sticks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

I have a 2015 Challenger (Scat Pack), and the 2015 Charger (SRT) drives and feels very similar, although not exactly the same. I slightly like the Challenger layout inside more, and the Charger suspension feels a little smoother and less "in touch" with the road than that of the Challenger. I have a 6 speed Challenger, and appreciate the 8 speed in the Charger a great deal, although I'd never own one because I love sticks.

I understand the Challenger rides on a shorter wheelbase as well, how much does that help the handling?

I'm almost certainly buying an R/T 6-speed later this year or early next year, how do you like yours so far?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I understand the Challenger rides on a shorter wheelbase as well, how much does that help the handling?

I'm almost certainly buying an R/T 6-speed later this year or early next year, how do you like yours so far?

I wasn't able to put the Charger through the same nonsense I've put my Scat through, so I can't make the most accurate comparison there, outside of immediate impressions. The Challenger felt a little more "fun" and sporty, the Charger more "set."

I love my Scat, it "feels" a little more powerful than a Mustang GT (a RT doesn't although it feels much more powerful than the Mustang V6, even though it barely is - probably due to the torque curve and the better engine sound while you're driving). It almost gets too much attention though. Evry single person tries to figure out if I have a hellcat or not (Sublime problems), and then half of those peopel recognize that I have a 6.4 and get all happy because of that and compliment me. I had a RT before this SP, and the 15 upgrades on the inside are a HUGE improvement. And it handles well enough for someone that doesn't go on the track - the current suspension is a big step up from the 13 RT I had.

I'd recommend a RT Plus or even a Scat if you can swing it (if you drive a 6.4, it will make you less satisfied with a 5.7, so don't test drive one if you can't afford it). Even if not, you'll be happy with the RT if you enjoy driving a larger, powerful cruiser.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

I wasn't able to put the Charger through the same nonsense I've put my Scat through, so I can't make the most accurate comparison there, outside of immediate impressions. The Challenger felt a little more "fun" and sporty, the Charger more "set."

I love my Scat, it "feels" a little more powerful than a Mustang GT (a RT doesn't although it feels much more powerful than the Mustang V6, even though it barely is - probably due to the torque curve and the better engine sound while you're driving). It almost gets too much attention though. Evry single person tries to figure out if I have a hellcat or not (Sublime problems), and then half of those peopel recognize that I have a 6.4 and get all happy because of that and compliment me. I had a RT before this SP, and the 15 upgrades on the inside are a HUGE improvement. And it handles well enough for someone that doesn't go on the track - the current suspension is a big step up from the 13 RT I had.

I'd recommend a RT Plus or even a Scat if you can swing it (if you drive a 6.4, it will make you less satisfied with a 5.7, so don't test drive one if you can't afford it). Even if not, you'll be happy with the RT if you enjoy driving a larger, powerful cruiser.

An R/T Plus is specifically what I'm looking for, with pretty much no options (maybe, maybe nav).

The scat would be nice but I really don't need the extra power. It drives the price up much higher than I think I want. I'd probably get in a lot more trouble with the scat pack, too.

The 5.7 seems to be as fast as my E39 540i which is plenty fast by my standards. It'd be my daily driver and never see a track.

I'd get a Mustang or something but I need a functional backseat, which the Challenger has.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Darko posted:

Thanks for the feedback (how much a man loves his scat is between you and the car) .

How did you find visibility in the charger vs the challenger?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

El Scotch posted:

The facelifted Chargers we've had at work are alright.The interior looks a little nicer than before, all around visibility is decent, and the 8-speed seemed perfectly fine. The most important plus about it is it doesn't have the weird joystick or dial shifters, and for just driving around streets and highways, the six-cylinder seems more than adequate, and the whole car is more or less a good car to replace a Town Car or Crown Vic.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Darko posted:

Do you have any opinions or experiences on the SRT 392?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

I think the scat basically replaced the 392 for 2015. I was looking for a scat pack, but couldn't find one that wasn't loaded with bullshit and I didnt want to wait for a special order.

So I bought an Abarth.

I'm wierd.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

LH, Elantra, Avalon,

A6, IS, Sorento,

3, Sonata, 3,

Rio, Forte, ...don't know the last one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Last one looks like the Chrysler 200 to me.

edit: I think 6 is the C-Max, too, but that's a guess and I haven't bothered to check.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 28, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Lexus CT200h, ?2?, ?3?, Audi A3, ?5?, Ford C-Max...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

eyebeem posted:

I think the scat basically replaced the 392 for 2015.

The Scat Pack replaced the SRT Core, which is different than the 392. I think.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

#12 is the Infiniti Q50

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Guess I'll put this here.....

I've recently been keeping my eye on the press releases for the '16 Chevy Volt. I've never owned a PEV before, and never seriously thought about getting one, but with the potential of their claimed 50 mile range on the newest generation, that has changed. I've got a ~43 mile round-trip commute, so I should be good there. I'm also moving to a new apartment complex in a few months that is 'townhome style' with a garage, so I could charge up over night via the standard 110 outlet in there. (I'm still not sure about work charging, but there's a possibility they would allow me to use a 110v outlet there as well during the day). For anyone that has a PEV or BEV, a few questions....

1> Any general opinions on the newest Volt, at least based on what has been released so far?

2> Any Texas-relevant info about convincing an apartment complex to allow me to hire an electrician to do the work to install a 220v outlet (or even hardwire an actual unit) in the garage? I'm in Austin, so I'd even be eligible for their rebate if I can get the complex to approve the install. (If not, the existing 110v outlet will have to make do I suppose).

3> Any suggestions about trying to convince my employer to allow me to charge at work? We have external 110v outlets in a secured section of the employee-only lot, and I'd settle for them allowing me to just use that. But if I could get them to install a Level 2 setup I'd be in heaven. (It's a County government entity, so I don't think they'd want to look into doing a complete public-access charging station. If it was the City of Austin I'd have better luck here I think).

4> Anything other food for thought?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: I think 6 is the C-Max, too, but that's a guess and I haven't bothered to check.

Not unless they changed the taillights and rear bumper.

That being said, I have no idea what it is.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
7 is the Mazda 6, and probably the best looking of the bunch.

I think 9 is the Mazda 3.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

7 is the Mazda 6, and probably the best looking of the bunch.

Considering 4 is the Audi A3, how does it feel to be so wrong?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Madbullogna posted:

I've recently been keeping my eye on the press releases for the '16 Chevy Volt. I've never owned a PEV before, and never seriously thought about getting one, but with the potential of their claimed 50 mile range on the newest generation, that has changed. I've got a ~43 mile round-trip commute, so I should be good there. I'm also moving to a new apartment complex in a few months that is 'townhome style' with a garage, so I could charge up over night via the standard 110 outlet in there. (I'm still not sure about work charging, but there's a possibility they would allow me to use a 110v outlet there as well during the day). For anyone that has a PEV or BEV, a few questions....

1> Any general opinions on the newest Volt, at least based on what has been released so far?

2> Any Texas-relevant info about convincing an apartment complex to allow me to hire an electrician to do the work to install a 220v outlet (or even hardwire an actual unit) in the garage? I'm in Austin, so I'd even be eligible for their rebate if I can get the complex to approve the install. (If not, the existing 110v outlet will have to make do I suppose).

3> Any suggestions about trying to convince my employer to allow me to charge at work? We have external 110v outlets in a secured section of the employee-only lot, and I'd settle for them allowing me to just use that. But if I could get them to install a Level 2 setup I'd be in heaven. (It's a County government entity, so I don't think they'd want to look into doing a complete public-access charging station. If it was the City of Austin I'd have better luck here I think).

You don't have PMs, have an email address?

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

You don't have PMs, have an email address?

Here ya go -- rpelley@gmail.com

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Nice taillights on the blandest body there is.

Would probably look better in a color other than white, though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

eyebeem posted:

I think the scat basically replaced the 392 for 2015. I was looking for a scat pack, but couldn't find one that wasn't loaded with bullshit and I didnt want to wait for a special order.

So I bought an Abarth.

I'm wierd.

The Scats are like R/Ts with the 6.4, the 392 is what used to be the standard SRT but I think they added the 392 to the name when the Hellcats came out.

I tried an Abarth, S3, S5, 135i, 335i, and CLA while owning an S4 but ended up with a JCG SRT. Fun cars are fun cars v:shobon:v

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Assuming this is highlighting how taillights are all the same shape now?

Madbullogna posted:

All I know is that people that own Volts seem to really, really like them. So if you're interested in that kind of car you probably will too.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Xguard86 posted:

Because the LS is a superior engine and should drive all ground or water based gasoline powered vehicles.

pushrods lol :effort:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

All I know is that people that own Volts seem to really, really like them. So if you're interested in that kind of car you probably will too.

It's best-use case is a lot more narrow than a Tesla (you pretty much have to live within 1/2 of the EV range of your most common commute destination for it to really save you any money, since its gas-only mileage isn't anything spectacular,) but its been a pretty phenomenal car to hold me over till the Model III releases (lol its never going to.) It's also a good option for a single person who wants an EV, but doesn't want to make the range sacrifice of a Leaf or SparkEV or something, but doesn't want, or isn't able to spring for a Model S.

The_Raven posted:

pushrods lol :effort:

:allears:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Jymmybob posted:

The Scats are like R/Ts with the 6.4, the 392 is what used to be the standard SRT but I think they added the 392 to the name when the Hellcats came out.

I tried an Abarth, S3, S5, 135i, 335i, and CLA while owning an S4 but ended up with a JCG SRT. Fun cars are fun cars v:shobon:v

So what is additive the Scat when you go SRT392?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

So what is additive the Scat when you go SRT392?

You get a unique front end/hood, SRT performances pages instead of Dodge performance pages (I think they work the same, just different branding), optional laguna leather (which is pretty nice), and they come basically fully loaded. Most importantly though, you get unique rims with a thicker tire (275/40R20 instead of 245/45R20), better brakes (6 piston Brembos instead of 4 piston), and a fully adaptive suspension instead of the Scat Packs Bilstein fixed suspension.

Realistically though, a base Scat Pack will be almost 10 grand cheaper than a base SRT 392 since the Scat Packs will most likely qualify for Charger/Challenger RT discounts, while SRT cars very rarely get discounts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I don't know, why don't you tell us?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Same car, as the Scat really. The big differences are:

a) fully leather seats
b) multiple suspension modes in an adaptive suspension (the biggest difference)
c) larger brembos
d) a scheduled SRT track experience

For basically a 5k difference.

The price kind of works out well for those upgrades (if you were to price separately), and the 3rd suspension mode in the SRT is a little better for a curvy track than the Sport Mode in the Scat Pack, but I personally didn't feel like it was worth the ~5k difference in road driving, and I don't track much at all.

edit: Sorry, commented too fast and saw that someone beat me

Q_res posted:

The Scat Pack replaced the SRT Core, which is different than the 392. I think.

Yeah, the Scat is a renamed SRT Core really. They actually made the SRT a little better this year in brakes/suspension, and the Scat Pack is KIND OF the pre-2015 SRTs without leather and with the new across-the-board upgrades in 2015.

El Scotch posted:

Thanks for the feedback (how much a man loves his scat is between you and the car) .

How did you find visibility in the charger vs the challenger?

The same, except the Challenger has a larger blind spot.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 28, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

The same, except the Challenger has a larger blind spot.

But looks so much better

Seriously, the front end of the Charger looks stupid. Wish they'd kept the solid rear light on the Challenger for 2015, I think it looks cooler than the twin ovals.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So Audi decided that the US does not need a small sporty city runner like the A1. What we need aparantly is this

On the bright side they WILL be Quatro, will come in three flavors of engines: gas diesel and electric.

And one more convertible version with a Ducati motor.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/audi-city-car-performance-specs-news-rumors/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialm&utm_campaign=cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

So Audi decided that the US does not need a small sporty city runner like the A1. What we need aparantly is this

On the bright side they WILL be Quatro, will come in three flavors of engines: gas diesel and electric.

And one more convertible version with a Ducati motor.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/audi-city-car-performance-specs-news-rumors/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialm&utm_campaign=cars

:barf: